Author Topic: The Legend of Hieda: Daughter Zero - Completed  (Read 37949 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Re: The Legend of Hieda: Daughter Zero
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
>All we really need is water by whatever means right?
>We might not have sorcery capabilities but we should be awesome enough to detect something like an underground water source through our senses.
>From there, we just need to smash the ground above it and cause it to rise to the surface.

> You do not even need extraordinary senses to find an underground water source - this area is well-mapped and prospected.
> The water will need coaxing to rise to the surface, but it is otherwise a sound plan.

« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
>Can we get a few spirits of the earth and other underground stuff to deal with the coaxing part?
>If so, go about making our spring.

« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
>Get some lesser earth elementals/spirits to manipulate subterranean shale formations to squeeze part of the aquifer and connect it to the surface; that should tap it like a straw.

Fightest

« Reply #483 on: January 28, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
> The cracked and parched earth shifts and rumbles, a deep reverberation coming from far below, and, one after another, dozens, hundreds of fountains sprout from the ground, sending plumes of fresh water up into the sky, slaking the desperate thirst of the land.
> The source you struck was a fertile one indeed, for the fountains still gush when you make your way to the surface after your sojourn underground.
> And they gush still after you have talked to the revitalized river spirit, who told you the story of this land:
> "In the mountains to the north there lives a great serpent, of eight necks and of eight heads."
> "It sleeps through half of the year, lazing in the spring breezes and the summer heat, gathering its strength for winter."
> "At the end of summer it comes down from the mountains and eats the offering that it is given."
> "Once satisfied, the serpent returns to the mountains and, once autumn has passed, it conjures winter."
> The spirit also told you about the offering:
> "Twin goddesses, of harvest and of rot, preside over autumn in this land."
> "One is offered to the serpent of the northern mountains at the end of every summer, a different one every year such that it does not get a taste for either."
> "Whichever one remains rules for that autumn, bringing about either bountiful harvest or ruinous rot. Once the next summer comes to an end, the devoured goddess revives and the cycle begins anew."
> "But this autumn, the twin goddesses hide, for the serpent desires to devour both."
> "Without them, summer will not end, and the land will continue to suffer."
> And the fountains continue their work many hours after. It starts to grow dark as clouds begin to cover the sun, as the sky spirits claim the water first as part of their elevated position.
> There is a storm coming.

« Reply #484 on: January 28, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
>Well then our next goal is to track down the autumn goddesses. Ask the various spirits about where they are; if anyone would know it would be them.
>Given that the serpent brings about winter supposedly, do we have experience on what would happen if we kill it?

Fightest

« Reply #485 on: January 28, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
>Well then our next goal is to track down the autumn goddesses. Ask the various spirits about where they are; if anyone would know it would be them.
>Given that the serpent brings about winter supposedly, do we have experience on what would happen if we kill it?

> After a few hours of asking around, during which the sky grows darker and darker still, you learn of talk about a farmer's house just a few hours away that stands surrounded with trees with leaves of faded orange and with withered grass amongst the fields of green.
> While a major functionary like the serpent is important, it is certainly not indispensable. If its position would become freed up, another spirit or god would be promoted or demoted to it soon enough.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #486 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
>Well, let's leave the spirits to their devices, and make for that house.
>Along the way, let's review what we know of that serpent.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Fightest

« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
>Well, let's leave the spirits to their devices, and make for that house.
>Along the way, let's review what we know of that serpent.

> Officially, the serpent is a regional dignitary. They come in as many flavours as there are regions, and you are not so intimately familiar with the Celestial Bureaucracy to the degree that you would know the serpent's career history.
> It is likely to be extremely powerful, though, in every regard, as is befitting its position. Fighting it unprepared would be extremely challenging even for you.
> It is also likely to enjoy sake as much as the next vast serpent god.
> It has started to rain heavily, and the wind is picking up. You are drenched by the time you reach the house.
> Indeed, it is a strange patch of autumn in the middle of resplendent summer green.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
>If we do have to face it then, the logical course of action would be to procure the most powerful sake we can. Though there might be a way to talk it down as well.
>Well, being wet's no good, so we may as well make for the house and knock on the door.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
This serpent really is that particular one Gensokyo style. This is going to be fun :D
Man we picked right with the dragon.

Fightest

« Reply #490 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »
>If we do have to face it then, the logical course of action would be to procure the most powerful sake we can. Though there might be a way to talk it down as well.
>Well, being wet's no good, so we may as well make for the house and knock on the door.

> You announce yourself, and when the door opens, you stride in in a flurry of wind and rain.
> It is not difficult to find who you are looking for - the old couple living here admit, prostrate on hands and knees, to hiding the Autumn sisters in their basement.
> And in the basement they are, shivering in terror unbefitting their position in a corner, their clothing of celestial silk decorated in all shades of orange and brown with intricate images of leaves and harvest sewn in with gold and silver, dirtied with mud and grime.

« Reply #491 on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
>"I'm not here to feed you to the dragon, stop it."
>Give them a few minutes to pull themselves together.
>"I am Hieda no Are. I take it that you are not in anyway fine, so let's move ahead to dealing with the dragon and getting autumn going. I'm going to need a lot of fine alcohol and you two are going to help."

Fightest

« Reply #492 on: January 29, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »
> The twins shiver in fear for a bit longer before letting confusion take hold.
> "Huh?"

> ...

> One fade to black later, you are standing outside the farmer's house. Before you are eight huge vats of excellent sake.
> The storm is fierce indeed, with thunder crashing and lightning striking every few dozen seconds.

« Reply #493 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:28 AM »
>Now where is that dragon? We need to discuss this whole eating people thing and/or kill it depending on how things go.

« Reply #494 on: January 30, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
>Quite a combination, one produces a fine bounty, and the other ferments it perfectly.
>Acquire means to transport vats: carts, horses, etc.

Fightest

« Reply #495 on: February 03, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
>Quite a combination, one produces a fine bounty, and the other ferments it perfectly.
>Acquire means to transport vats: carts, horses, etc.
>Now where is that dragon? We need to discuss this whole eating people thing and/or kill it depending on how things go.

> The sky is pitch-black. The only light comes from the intermittent bolts of lightning that throw the landscape into stark shadows.
> Amidst the peals of thunder you could swear you hear

Is this really your story, my dear?

> No, it's nothing. Must be your imagination. There is an incessant tugging at your prosthetic arm, as if from a fly stuck in the webs of Fate.
> The spirits have helped you arrange the sake vats. It was a trivial matter.
> Something is wrong. Like a sensory disconnect so deep it undermines reality itself. You feel like a careless motion will tear something apart.
> Something vital.

Or are you just living someone else's legend?

> You are no longer Are.
> But neither are you Ani.

The white room again. Unlike last time, scrolls and parchment are carefully-arranged into two, separate piles on either side of the girl sitting at the desk. She is scribbling furiously, her playfulness gone.
I cannot stress enough how vital the coming turn of events is going to be. That I am able to appear now is evidence enough of that - there has been a lethal disconnect in Fate, and I cannot find its source.
The girl pauses writing to gather her thoughts.
There is too much information to process, but the following point keeps coming back: there are two separate accounts of the story of the Mountain Serpent. Do you understand? I have absolutely correct accounts of everything that has ever happened, and there are two equally true accounts. One tells of how Are defeated the Serpent and brought balance to the region again. The other? Kanako of the Eight Hills defeats the Serpent. I do not understand what this means, but all I can tell you is that there is great danger coming. Be wary of every choice, every tiny clue. A careless step can cause the loss of everything.
The girl stops writing, and her unsteady breathing echoes around the white room.
Please. Save Are.

> You are Are.
> A vast silhouette looms on the horizon, eight heads on eight undulating necks reaching up into the sky, sixteen eyes scanning the landscape like lighthouse beams.

Have you ever wondered why she is called Of The Eight Hills?

> The tugging is annoying, but you can ignore it for now.
> How have you arranged the sake?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #496 on: February 03, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »
Well, maybe we should get Kanako involved in this too?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #497 on: February 03, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
It's a choice. Either we deal with this creature, or Kanako does. I suspect, though, that the real effect comes not from which one handles the serpent, but from whether or not Kanako is present in Byakuren's research group. Or, to be more precice, whether or not she's with the book. I say let's call on Kanako to handle the serpent.

Fightest

« Reply #498 on: February 03, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »
A message will never reach Kanako in time before the Serpent makes its move, let alone that she will have time to get to Are. Her role in these events has been fixed, as has been Are's. All you can do is pay attention to Are, that you might know what transpires.

Fightest

« Reply #499 on: February 03, 2013, 09:54:53 PM »
> Answer the question, foolish girl.
> How have you arranged the sake?

« Reply #500 on: February 03, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
It is always possible that Are just said that Kanako did it because eh.

>Why is Kanako named the Eight Hills by the way?

>Sake arrangement; the eight open containers are spread out in the open, equally spaced from each other in an arc on platforms raised up and easy to spot and reach for the serpent such that each head can reach a container at the same time. Have it looking like a tribute (since it kind of is)
>These containers are far enough from us that the serpent cannot reach them and us at the same time.

Anything else we should add to the presentation?

Fightest

« Reply #501 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
You would have learned this much later, but I will tell you now, my dear, to expedite matters.

> A flash of lightning. Another. The Serpent never seems to move, yet every time lightning strikes it appears closer and closer, ever more and more massive by the moment.
> Flash. Its heads make it seem nearly a hundred metres tall.
> A crack of thunder. The serpent stops and stretches out its heads, such that each reaches each of the casks of sake that you carefully arranged.

Everything is born into Creation with an onus of karma. So strong is this bond that it reflects in their appearance, their name, their behaviour.

> The eight-peaked mountain range far in the distance seems dwarfed by the Serpent that is even now greedily lapping up the sake.

Eight heads, eight mountains. Kanako of the Eight Hills. You're stealing her legend, my dear.

> The Serpent is distracted. It is at your mercy.

But that is justified. You will steal her legend just as yours was stolen from you.

> What do you do with the Serpent?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:54:50 AM by Fightest »

« Reply #502 on: February 06, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
>Are the Sisters with us?
>Would we be able to communicate with the Serpent?
>Do we know any other information about this beast?

Fightest

« Reply #503 on: February 06, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
>Are the Sisters with us?
>Would we be able to communicate with the Serpent?
>Do we know any other information about this beast?

> Yes
> Yes. Whether the Serpent wishes to do so is another matter.
> No.

Fightest

« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
Come on, guys, I know how heavily I'm railroading you at the moment, but, strange as it may seem, this is entirely intentional. Bear with me, we've nearly finished Are's portion of the story, and I'm eager to continue onto Aichi.

Fightest

« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
Fine, ending it by myself.

The details aren't important, my dear.

> You are on the serpent's back, sword raised. Its many heads and tail lash at you, but the sake is starting to take hold. None hit you.
> When did you get here? There is a vague memory of the Serpent's booming threats, and your blood-red aura a single point of light under the black sky.

All that matters is that it happened.

> You are lying flat on the grass, a dull pain in your chest. Did the Serpent finally get a hit in?
> A prickling in your temples, and a beautiful porcelain doll appears out of nowhere. It is holding a tiny scroll in its hands. You cannot help but listen as it speaks in Scent-Of-Patchouli-And-Lavender's voice.
> "Hijiri wanted us to be silent about this, but, well, I have my own contract to fulfill. Nothing personal, Are, wrong place, wrong time, all that. We've deciphered the scroll."

And it is as if the entirety of Fate is arrayed against you, isn't it?

> You are skilfully running up the indestructible scales of the Serpent's tail. The doll is incessantly talking just at your right ear.
> "What the scroll is, is a perfect, beautiful and absolutely irrefutable proof..."
> When did it happen? The Serpent is collapsing underneath you, its strength finally spent.
> "With demonstrations and examples..."

Like everything has come together to focus entirely on you?

> "That your - Are of the Hieda's - life is a fabrication."

It is because it is true.

Ah, there it is. That sense of release that she felt so briefly back then. And with it, the feeling of prying eyes, of myriad hands holding countless threads, all attached to her. Now that she knows where to look, it is painfully, embarrassingly obvious. Still, she understands ritual and tradition. There is a story here to finish, and she chooses to finish it.

The scales on the Serpent's tail are incredible. Stronger and harder than any material she had ever seen, and beautifully iridescent in the sunlight that is starting to peek through the storm clouds. She eventually pries one off, eager to get to work on it.

The furnace grows hotter and brighter, yet it is still not enough to forge the scale. She briefly muses that Mo-Ko could provide her the heat needed, but quickly discards the idea. She does not need Mo-Ko any more. Nor, for that matter, anyone else. They would only serve to get her manipulated again. Calling on her power, she commands the fire to intensify, and so it does, unable to refuse her orders. Hotter and brighter yet it grows.

The metal sizzles and spits in the river's freezing waters that part in respect for the mighty blade. After an hour the energies are finally dissipated, and the sword is ready. Would it be sufficient? Would yet another coincidence in an unlikely chain of coincidences occur?

With a simple motion, she swings the sword, and cuts herself free from the threads. A second motion parts the world before her. She drops the sword into the river and steps forward into the chaos, the gap closing shut in her wake.

Daughter Zero END

Fightest's notes: I will entertain questions before threadlock. If there is still demand, I will proceed onto the second part of the Legend of Hieda, focusing on Aichi's adventures.

« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
So, did Are just sever her connection to Fate and become Yukari? 0_0

Fightest

« Reply #507 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
So, did Are just sever her connection to Fate and become Yukari? 0_0

Are and Yukari are two separate entities.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #508 on: February 08, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
Tag completed if it is so.

« Reply #509 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
Huh, then what did she pull there?

So what would have happened if we read the book?

The obvious question; what created Are and played with her fate to the point that she didn't notice even with the whole Orrery incident?