Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 46231 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2011, 07:49:15 AM »
>"Part of it, yes. She was digging at random in a field outside of town, and she punched her way into a tunnel system that was already there. Which is actually someone's home, as I found out, so you're not the only victim here. While she was in there, however, she opened up another tunnel, one that the tunnel's owner had sealed a couple weeks ago. That being the tunnel in your wine cellar."

>"Sealed?" She frowns darkly. "So you mean someone else dug a hole into my cellar first?"

« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »
>Steady, Momoka...
>"The first time was an accident. It happened a couple of weeks ago, actually. Chances are, it never would have been discovered, if that fairy hadn't been burrowing around down there. And, again, it HAD been repaired." Jerk our head back at the mole. "That's one of the reasons my friend here came with me. She knows her way around tunnels and digging, and she's offered to seal the tunnel even better than it was the first time. At no charge, either."

« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »
>Steady, Momoka...
>"The first time was an accident. It happened a couple of weeks ago, actually. Chances are, it never would have been discovered, if that fairy hadn't been burrowing around down there. And, again, it HAD been repaired." Jerk our head back at the mole. "That's one of the reasons my friend here came with me. She knows her way around tunnels and digging, and she's offered to seal the tunnel even better than it was the first time. At no charge, either."

>You don't want to spare too much attention in her direction for fear of raising suspicions, but you're sure she probably wants to curl into a ball and disappear right about now.
>The proprietor regards Momoka with no small measure of dubiousness. "For free?" she asks flatly.
>"Th- that's right," Momoka stutters out.
>The owner's reply is blunt and immediate. "Why?"
>There is a pointed silence. You start to wonder if you'll have to cover for the poor mole, before she manages to force out another response.
>"I... just like to be helpful. That's all."
>The woman's face doesn't look particular satisfied, though you can't be quite sure from her expression whether she's suspicious of Momoka's involvement, or simply expecting to get ripped off by the two of you in some fashion.

« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
>Place a hand on Momoka's shoulder, gently.
>"Believe it or not, there are still people like Momoka here in the world. People that ain't out for themselves, ain't always looking for the next big score. I'll grant you, if it was another Seeker standing in her boots, or maybe even me, I'd be a little suspicious too, if I was standing where you are."
>"Now I. I had a job to do. And I did it. You wanted your wines found, and returned if possible, and I've done that, whatever was left of them. I even found the culprit for you, and I'm prepared to tell you where she lives, if you wanted to go after her for compensation. That's your business, not mine. Though if you DO wanna go after her, you might wanna give her a few hours to try and shake that hangover. She's useless to pretty much everyone now."
>"Momoka here, now, she's cut from a different ball of cheese. I needed a little help tracking down your thief, and she gave it to me. Never asked for a dime either, did ya?" Give the poor dear a smile, the look back at the angry human. "Likewise, you have a problem, and that's the hole in your cellar. And Momoka here's willing to patch it, and isn't asking a dime. Because that's how she rolls."

« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
>Place a hand on Momoka's shoulder, gently.
>"Believe it or not, there are still people like Momoka here in the world. People that ain't out for themselves, ain't always looking for the next big score. I'll grant you, if it was another Seeker standing in her boots, or maybe even me, I'd be a little suspicious too, if I was standing where you are."
>"Now I. I had a job to do. And I did it. You wanted your wines found, and returned if possible, and I've done that, whatever was left of them. I even found the culprit for you, and I'm prepared to tell you where she lives, if you wanted to go after her for compensation. That's your business, not mine. Though if you DO wanna go after her, you might wanna give her a few hours to try and shake that hangover. She's useless to pretty much everyone now."
>"Momoka here, now, she's cut from a different ball of cheese. I needed a little help tracking down your thief, and she gave it to me. Never asked for a dime either, did ya?" Give the poor dear a smile, the look back at the angry human. "Likewise, you have a problem, and that's the hole in your cellar. And Momoka here's willing to patch it, and isn't asking a dime. Because that's how she rolls."

>You put a gentle hand on the mole youkai's shoulder; you feel her nearly jolt at the contact, though she does an admirable job of not telegraphing it too loudly. Then you lay things out for your client, painting a sunny picture of Momoka while you do it. The proportionate listens to the whole story with a dry and still vaguely disapproving expression, but doesn't interrupt. You turn and give Momoka a smile as you near your close; the poor thing looks dumbstuck and completely unsure of how she should be acting right now. Well, being quiet is probably the best choice, though it would help if she didn't look so obviously nervous.
>After you finish, the owner is silent for a moment, a rather tired look about her. Momoka offers her a hesitant smile.
>"Really, I do just want to help," she says. "It'll be no trouble to fix things for you. Um, well it'll be some trouble, but I- Well, I mean-" Her eyes widen in growing alarm, but the owner interrupts before she can descend into a spiral of self-correction.
>"Who dug in here in the first place?" she asks you bluntly, paying little apparent attention to Momoka. "And why."

« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
What do yall think? Straight truth, or should we try to keep Momoka's initial involvement out of it?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »
Straight truth, try to be a mediating force if she gets upset, threaten her with a guild blacklisting if she gives us too much shit, given what a thoroughly unpleasant person she's been to work with. Worse comes to worst, point out there's a lot of mice in this area and it'd be a problem if they all suddenly found out about this place. Or stranglings.

« Reply #637 on: December 03, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
>"Like I said, there wasn't really a 'why', per se. It was an accident. And as for who, well, that's the other reason Momoka wants to fix it."
>Bloody human just couldn't leave well enough alone, but she'd better curb that attitude. Pronto.
>"See, she lives down here. Now surfacers. when they- we- wanna clear their heads, we generally go for a stroll, right? 'leastways a lotta folks do. But Momoka, she don't walk on the ground, she digs through it. As a matter of fact, it was her tunnel that that fairy broke into and went sauntering through like she owned the place. And in all the years she'd lived down here, Momoka'd never known anyone else that had built this far down. Until one night, a couple weeks ago, when she accidentally found this place. And since the repairs she made that night got messed up by that fairy, she offered to do them again."
>Does the guild have a blacklist, as far as we know?

« Reply #638 on: December 04, 2011, 02:48:55 AM »
>"Like I said, there wasn't really a 'why', per se. It was an accident. And as for who, well, that's the other reason Momoka wants to fix it."
>Bloody human just couldn't leave well enough alone, but she'd better curb that attitude. Pronto.
>"See, she lives down here. Now surfacers. when they- we- wanna clear their heads, we generally go for a stroll, right? 'leastways a lotta folks do. But Momoka, she don't walk on the ground, she digs through it. As a matter of fact, it was her tunnel that that fairy broke into and went sauntering through like she owned the place. And in all the years she'd lived down here, Momoka'd never known anyone else that had built this far down. Until one night, a couple weeks ago, when she accidentally found this place. And since the repairs she made that night got messed up by that fairy, she offered to do them again."

>The woman's expression darkens as you implicate Momoka, though she doesn't look particularly surprised by this. For her part, the mole seems almost to shrink as you say this, if such a thing is even possible given her already minute stature.
>Feeling none too kindly disposed towards your client at the moment, you continue to lay out the situation for her. The dour but motionless expression on her face does not instill much confidence of her being understanding, but at least she doesn't cut you off. Momoka fiddles nervously with the edge of her sleeves again; you think she's liable to start fraying the edges of them if she keeps this up. An oppressive silence falls on the room after you finish. The owner's face remains steeled, almost impassive were it not for the dark undercurrent you can see beneath it. Momoka looks as though the the room has already swallowed her. Eventually the owner turns her gaze towards the mole youkai; Momoka nearly flinches from it.

>"So you broke into my storeroom," she says matter-of-factly, though there is a chill to her words.
>"....yes," comes Momoka's reply, barely more than a whisper.
>"And you never thought someone might have a problem with this?" the owner continues.
>"W- well-"
>She doesn't pause long enough for a reply. "You never though to tell anyone that you'd just damaged their property? Or trespassed in their business? Or left a back door open to thieves and who knows who else?"
>Momoka fidgets, frowning deeply. "Well, I- I tried to put things back like they were before I did it."
>"Clearly you didn't do a good enough job," she replies coldly.

>Does the guild have a blacklist, as far as we know?

>There is a form of blacklist, yes, though in practice it doesn't tend to get used very often. Most of the names added to it are either for failing to provide adequate or agreed-upon compensation upon successfully job completion, or for intentionally withholding known risks in their job postings. In many cases, this blacklisting is cautionary, rather than binding; Seekers are still free to do business with whom they choose, but they are at least warned beforehand of a client's past behavior.

« Reply #639 on: December 04, 2011, 04:00:10 AM »
>Fold arms across our chest, and place ourselves almost completely between Momoka and our client. In case the poor mole hasn't done so already.
>"Alright, mistakes were made, I'll grant you that. And maybe she didn't come to you right away." And we don't blame her one bit. "But Momoka never took anything, and she did her best to repair the hole in the wall. And whatever she did or didn't do, it's not her fault that a fairy broke into her tunnels, nor is it her fault that said fairy undid all the repairs she'd done. And she's still offering to patch the hole and seal the tunnel for free. Again."
>"You've got at least some of your wines back, which is better than finding them all drunk, or not finding them at all. You're getting free repairs to your cellar, which I doubt you'd get from any other crew in town. And you know who stole your wines, if you wanted to try and get some kinda compensation out of her, or at least as much as you can get out of a fairy."

« Reply #640 on: December 04, 2011, 05:03:57 AM »
>Fold arms across our chest, and place ourselves almost completely between Momoka and our client. In case the poor mole hasn't done so already.

>You fold your arms and attempt to interpose yourself between Momoka and your client. The way the three of you are arranged in the small space doesn't give a lot of room to do this properly, but you think the message in your gesture gets across.

>"Alright, mistakes were made, I'll grant you that. And maybe she didn't come to you right away." And we don't blame her one bit. "But Momoka never took anything, and she did her best to repair the hole in the wall. And whatever she did or didn't do, it's not her fault that a fairy broke into her tunnels, nor is it her fault that said fairy undid all the repairs she'd done. And she's still offering to patch the hole and seal the tunnel for free. Again."
>"You've got at least some of your wines back, which is better than finding them all drunk, or not finding them at all. You're getting free repairs to your cellar, which I doubt you'd get from any other crew in town. And you know who stole your wines, if you wanted to try and get some kinda compensation out of her, or at least as much as you can get out of a fairy."

>The owner gives you a sour look. "You know full well I'm not going to get anything worth a damn out of a fairy. I think your friend owes me a little more than just fixing the damage she caused. The only reason that fairy even got in here is because she'd already broken a hole into my restaurant and then tried to cover it up. She's accountable for what happened because of this."

« Reply #641 on: December 04, 2011, 05:37:19 AM »
>"You're going to hold Momoka accountable for something a fairy did? For having her own home broken into?"

« Reply #642 on: December 04, 2011, 05:49:07 AM »
>"You're going to hold Momoka accountable for something a fairy did? For having her own home broken into?"

>"No," she replies, "I'm going to hold her accountable for what she did."
>She turns to Momoka. "Could that fairy have gotten in here without you digging a tunnel right into my storeroom?"
>"P- probably not," the mole sputters. "I- I mean she did dig a little bit to get into my house, b- but that wasn't nearly so far, really- not to say that she wouldn't have had to do some digging on this end, too! Uh, I mean... It's just that... well, I-" The poor thing starts wringing her hands.
>The owner turns back to you with a satisfied expression on her face. "I believe that counts as a no."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #643 on: December 04, 2011, 05:56:02 AM »
>"So what? Does that mean if someone slips in your window, you blame the windowmaker? Or maybe the guy who laid the street? The faerie did her own digging to get in."

Feel free to soften that.

« Reply #644 on: December 04, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »
>"So what? Does that mean if someone slips in your window, you blame the windowmaker? Or maybe the guy who laid the street? The faerie did her own digging to get in."

>"I wouldn't blame the windowmaker," she says, "but the person who left the window unlocked. If one of my employees forgot to lock up at night, and someone robbed the place because of it, I'd hold her accountable for it, too."

« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »
>"And if someone breaks that window? Because that's what happened here. Someone kicked down your neighbors' door, and threw a rock through your window. You gonna blame your neighbor? The guy that made the door?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #646 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
>"Better than a door, really. You go in that basement every day, and you didn't even notice there was anything wrong with the wall."

« Reply #647 on: December 04, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »
>"And if someone breaks that window? Because that's what happened here. Someone kicked down your neighbors' door, and threw a rock through your window. You gonna blame your neighbor? The guy that made the door?"
>"Better than a door, really. You go in that basement every day, and you didn't even notice there was anything wrong with the wall."

>You see a twitch in the woman's expression as you point out how she'd evidently overlooked Momoka's incursion up to now. For a brief moment, she seems to lose her stride, but it is only brief. If anything, her expression only sours further.
>"However she patched the damage," she counters, "a weakness was clearly still left which the fairy followed. A weakness that wouldn't have existed if she hadn't dug it in the first place. And frankly, this is really none of your business. You were contracted to investigate the theft and retrieve the stolen property, which you have... partially done. That's it. How I choose to seek compensation for it is my own affair, and I should thank you to keep your nose out of it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #648 on: December 04, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Easy answer is to point out Momoka has retained our services, as well.

Past that, pondering.

Edit: I wonder how much of the land the innkeep actually owns?

Edit: Okay, now that dinner is finished being prepared, we have a few weapons. We need to find out how much of the property that the innkeep owns. Given the inn is roadside, I would say not very much. As such, the area isn't the innkeeper's to call the shots with. Nor has the innkeeper done anything to demark the underground for burrowers. As such, we can argue it's the innkeeper's fault for not putting up a fence, if she wants to press it.

Also, I think now is the time to demand our pay, point out that without us she would have never even figured out how the wine went missing, and point out that if we don't get paid in full, right now, with a smile, we will be reporting her behavior to the guild. Meaning that she will not be likely to retain a seeker again, nor is any seeker likely to come back. Nor are their friends, who will be most definitely hearing about this.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:47:20 AM by Robo-Purvis BZT »

« Reply #649 on: December 04, 2011, 07:43:30 AM »
She has? You mean 'help me find the one that damaged my roof'?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #650 on: December 04, 2011, 07:44:51 AM »
And to act as mediator too. We can't forget that.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #651 on: December 04, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
As in, she agreed to let us help her. Thus we are retained. Thus it is our business. A seeker can be proactive..

« Reply #652 on: December 04, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Why don't we just go with that? Simple and effective. "I'm sorry, but it IS my business", or words to that effect?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #653 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
That works.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #654 on: December 04, 2011, 08:16:55 AM »
Indeed. Thoughts on the property stuff that I typed up?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #655 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
Purvis, you devilish bastard.
I like it! This gives us plenty of ammo against this stubborn broad.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #656 on: December 04, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
The only thing I'd caution on is threatening her with guild blacklisting JUST yet. It's definately something to keep in mind, but perhaps not at this juncture. But definately ask for our pay. Best get that business out of the way before she gets even more cross with us.
Apart from that, I'd say you've got a pretty decent case there. If she doesn't own anything beyond that wall, then she's got nothing to hold over Momoka, especially since she already repaired the hole once and offered to do it again free of charge.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #657 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
>"Miss Momoka and I have an agreement, actually. I am assisting her in this matter, so it is my business. Now, may I ask, what are the bounds of your property?"

« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
>"Miss Momoka and I have an agreement, actually. I am assisting her in this matter, so it is my business. Now, may I ask, what are the bounds of your property?"

>The proprietor frowns thinly. "What does that have to do with anything?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #659 on: December 04, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
>"You're making a claim to breech of property, yes? Then knowing where the properly lines lay is very important."