Author Topic: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!  (Read 58297 times)

Drake

Re: Let's initiate the Survival Strategy. Mawaru Penguindrum thread!
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
Once again I'm going to have to rewatch it because we just opened a whole new can of worms; I'm starting to wonder how this is going to resolve in only five episodes.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
When all of Penguindrum is finished airing (should be around end-of-the-year holidays), I'm going to see if I can't organize some kind of marathon run over a week-- maybe four episodes each day for six days, depending on how different the time zones are-- and watch it straight through from beginning to end. Bring snacks and straitjackets.

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2011, 08:04:32 PM »
When all of Penguindrum is finished airing (should be around end-of-the-year holidays), I'm going to see if I can't organize some kind of marathon run over a week-- maybe four episodes each day for six days, depending on how different the time zones are-- and watch it straight through from beginning to end. Bring snacks and straitjackets.
I'd definitely support this. EDIT: Given that I'm going home for the holidays and have various family events to attend, I might not be available for this until January.

I'm getting the feeling the
Spoiler:
Child Broiler
is going to be fairly integral to the resolution of the plot and I'm expecting some sort of twist like "everyone's adopted".
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:10:36 PM by The Adjective Colossal »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
First of all, the music in the CB sequence was beautiful. Can't wait for the Penguindrum OST <3

On the episode:
Spoiler:
So Shouma is the only "real" Takakura, is seems to me. Whereas Kanba seems to be of the Natsume family? Well damn.
Kiga's goals are noble, but if bombings are their method  of reaching them... yeah, nice dilemma there.

« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
It looks like they're leading up to
Spoiler:
a conflict between Shouma and Kanba over Himari's fate.
If that's the case, it'll be definitely be interesting to see,

Also,
Spoiler:
past Himari
creeps me the hell out.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
Ikuhara, why do you hate
Spoiler:
kittens? First there was Nanami, now Sun-chan. :[

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
Today's PenguinDrum is absolutely heart-breaking, in that it partially addresses the main criticism people have with the anime;
Spoiler:
unlike the previous episodes where nothing really happens in the present (e.g Shoma gets hit by a car but nothing happens, Himari dies but is resurrected immediately with little fanfare) and everything happens in the past, huge things with huge consequences actually happen to the characters this time.  And in hindsight, everything that had happened in the anime beforehand seemed to be building up to these tragedies, as if the situation of the Takakuras were teetering on the edge for a long long time.
.  I have full confidence that the ending will not disappoint.

It's also interesting that there was a huge emphasis on clocks this episode, whether they be stopped (in the bar) or rewound (in the Takakura house),
Spoiler:
which represents Kanba's mindset of being trapped in the past

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »
God damn. Everything about this episode hit like a metric ton of bricks, one after the other.

Love the new ending theme, hope it sticks.

Spoiler:
And what the hell, Kanba? Okay, now karma's gonna get you, big time.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2011, 04:45:03 AM »
While waiting for subs for episode 22, I found this fun little game of Bingo, Penguindrum style... made four months ago.

Spoiler:
Some of these actually became true!

Edit: Subs are out. IT'S THAT TIME OF THE WEEK AGAIN

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
So uh... Episode 22.

Spoiler:
Masako, I love you and you're a badass and all, but what the flying fuck are you doing?!

While waiting for subs for episode 22, I found this fun little game of Bingo, Penguindrum style... made four months ago.

Huh.
Spoiler:
Now that Kanba has been shot, we are one off from a bingo, here. o____o

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
Spoiler:
Masako, I love you and you're a badass and all, but what the flying fuck are you doing?!
Like I said, Masako
Spoiler:
felt like she owed Kanba her life, literally. He totally wasn't worth it, but that didn't matter. She still owed him, so... Honor before reason and all. He did just kill some cops in front of her, though, so...

Also: http://app.zio3.net/pdboard/?t1=%E5%9B%9E%E6%83%B3&t2=flashback&t3=&t4=&t5=&t6= You, too, can make your very own Penguindrum-style flashback! Phone call sound not included.

From top to bottom, the fields are:

Title
Subtitle
Name (e.g. Hakurei Reimu)
Time (e.g. Eight years ago)
Place (e.g. The mansion in the middle of the lake)
Event (e.g. That fairy didn't have any answers for me, so I've come here. Is this...)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:54 PM »
Caught up with Penguindrum, since I had some issues that kept me from watching it on ~*Penguindrum Thursday*~

Spoiler:
My god, the Penguindrum may very well end up being love after all, from what Tabuki said to Yuri. Considering this series, playing that trope straight may actually be profound.

Masako, I admire your resolve, but have you ever heard the tale of the farmer and the viper? Kanba has fully embraced the curse; I really don't think he will be able to redeem himself for all he's done. The most mentally balanced character of the lot is still overcome by a childhood illusion after all...

And holy wow, things are resolving themselves quickly. o.o Still, I can't bring myself to believe there's only two episodes left; there's still far too much left to cover. Unless of course, Ikuhara plans to leave all this stuff up the audience. >_<
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2011, 02:47:59 AM »
Masako
Spoiler:
sacrificing herself for Kanba is pretty much just another example of the mutual sacrifices between many characters in the show, so it didn't seem that surprising that Kanba saved Masako, only for the latter to save Kanba, due to their pasts attachments, with both of them ending up grievously hurt

This resonates throughout the entire series,
Spoiler:
Momoka saved Yuri and Tabuki, only for the latter to waste their lives away in revenge trying to save Momoka in the present; Himari sacrifices herself in order to save Kanba, who has already sacrificed himself, doing horrendous things in order to save Himari, etc.
.   This sort of destructive 'love', which is probably close to what Momoka stands for, must seem very amusing to Sanetoshi who claims that there is nothing of value in love except kisses.  In general, they all seem to be hurtling their way to self-destruction, through the cruel twists of past commitments and fate which bind them together.  Hopefully the noble sentiments of the characters will manifest themselves into some happier ending than what is occurring now.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> Whoa
[00:04] <Sakana> I approve
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> o_O
[00:04] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> o__________o
[00:04] <~Sakura-Rurouni> O_O
[00:04] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> what
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> D:
[00:04] <Sakana> That was mean
[00:04] <~Sakura-Rurouni> what the f
[00:04] <Sakana> O__O
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> D: D:
[00:04] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> wait a second
[00:04] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> what
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> D8
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> Wha
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> What
[00:04] <~Sakura-Rurouni> I..
[00:04] <~Sakura-Rurouni> what
[00:04] <Kyuruminut> WHAT
[00:04] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> what just happened...?
[00:05] <Kyuruminut> I...
[00:05] <~Sakura-Rurouni> did Ikuhara just mindfuck us BEFORE THE OPENING CREDITS EVEN BEGAN
[00:05] <Kyuruminut> Have never been blown away so quickly
[00:05] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> ...apparently!
[00:05] <Sakana> I know which part I have to rewatch again once we are through
[00:05] <~Matsuri-Sunrise> yeaaaah
[00:06] <Kyuruminut> I love how we're all speechless
[00:06] <~Sakura-Rurouni> that is totally going into the Penguindrum thread

EPISODE 233333333333333333

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
Episode 23:

We have learned that
Spoiler:
Ringo does not know how fire works.

Also,
Spoiler:
our track is reaching a dead end. A destination of fate?

nintendonut888

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »
Also random thoughts:
Spoiler:
So that would mean that it's possibly Momoka possessing Himari whenever she turns into the Princess.
:]

Spoiler:
Seeing the two penguinhats as halves of Momoka, similar to the halves of the diary, it's likely that it will be vital for them to be brought together for ~*~miracles~*~ to happen. Which will probably also negate the need for the diary.

Also, Kanba has always wanted to... knock Shouma out? Well, everyone has some weird fantasies I guess :V

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Only one episode left?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »
Dawn of the last day
22 hours remain.

Seizon's greetings!

SO THE PENGUINDRUM FINALE IS TODAY.
I HOPE EVERYONE IS AS EXCITED AS I AM.

Additionally, I hope everyone is also listening to the Triple H Mawaru Penguindrum Character Song Album like I am! It is Fabulous Max to the core. It's got the full version of Rock Over Japan, for starters~

And also, while this in no way replaces the marathon I have planned from post-Christmas to pre-New Years', I have had the fortune of finding that someone else has had an equally awesome idea! For people who have nothing to do tomorrow and want to blow their minds out with the force of a thousand washing machines at once (or just GET HYPE GET HYPE), I present the Complete Mawaru Penguindrum Marathon Livestream December 23rd @ 9:00AM MST. More information here if you would like to join in!

nintendonut888

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »
I am in. :D I can think of no better reason to get up at 8:00 in the morning on vacation than to blow my brains to smithereens.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
oh man what an ending.
Dat music. Especially that music.
Dat Penguindrum.
Dat
Spoiler:
Kanba
Those
Spoiler:
screams.
Those
Spoiler:
self-sacrifices.
Those
Spoiler:
two kids from episode 1.
Spoiler:
Kanba is the best brother ever. Also, mission accomplished.

Things that I wanted and got:
Spoiler:
SEIZON SENRYAKUUUU
Mario actually speaks.
Brotastic ending.

Spoiler:
I was expecting an IKUHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! ending, but I got a Good End instead. A little bittersweet, but good nonetheless.

Series started off a bit slow, but really picked up towards the end. I'm satisfied with this ending.

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 07:06:40 PM »
I am in. :D I can think of no better reason to get up at 8:00 in the morning on vacation than to blow my brains to smithereens.
I'll try to get there, depends on how early I can get up tomorrow. Might be a bit late, but don't want to miss it for anything.

Drake

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2011, 07:58:02 AM »
I really can't express myself right now. Floodgates are open, I'm covered in tears. This was just, man. Marathoning the last five episodes probably wasn't the smartest idea, this is just too much for me to handle. It's been an electrifying ride.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2011, 12:43:51 AM »
Twas late to the livestream, but somehow made it before the last episode aired. Mind fucks all around. 
Spoiler:
生存戦略、忘れないよ。
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:51:10 AM by Okuda »

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2011, 03:46:42 AM »
Double posting be damned.

I... feel so weird. While I was watching the last episode, I felt fine even while
Spoiler:
Kanba was desintegrating and Shouma was being immolated
, but now that I think about it two days later, now it brings me almost to tears. What is this.

Oh, right.
Spoiler:
The message from Kanba and Shouma at the end: "If we die, let's agree to send a message to someone we care about."

... ;____;

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Double posting be damned.

I... feel so weird. While I was watching the last episode, I felt fine even while
Spoiler:
Kanba was desintegrating and Shouma was being immolated
, but now that I think about it two days later, now it brings me almost to tears. What is this.

Oh, right.
Spoiler:
The message from Kanba and Shouma at the end: "If we die, let's agree to send a message to someone we care about."

... ;____;

I felt absolutely nothing when
Spoiler:
Kanba was disintegrating, because if anyone of the three Takakuras deserved 'punishment', it was him. I don't understand why Shouma and Kanba deserved to be punished for what their parents did, or why Himari was to be punished either, but Kanba followed in their terrorist footsteps. Karma's a bitch and he had it coming.

On the other hand,
Spoiler:
even though I was interrupted at the worst time (when Shouma took the sacrifice in Ringo's place) and it put me in a terrible mood, I found it to be incredibly moving when I watched it a second time. Throughout the entire show, neither Ringo nor Shouma seem to ever get a break from horrible shit happening to them, and I was somewhat sad to see Shouma burn in the end, but I was even more sad because he really did love Ringo as much as she loved him, and I felt horrible for her, as well as Himari, who saw Shouma as her soulmate. While I'm completely happy to see Ringo and Himari together in the end, I felt horrible knowing that they had forgotten Shouma and Kanba in the end, even as Himari read that note. Even if she didn't remember, it brought her to tears, and that was.... argh. I liked the message that you don't have to be related by blood to be a happy family.

Utena spoilers ->
Spoiler:
I must say, I do like that the ending reminds me of the Utena TV series ending, in that Shouma and Kanba aren't dead after sacrificing themselves for Himari, but still gone from their memory, replaced as the children from the beginning of the series. The only difference is that in the end of Utena, Anthy remembers her, and goes to find her. I am hoping Penguindrum gets a movie with an alternate "good end", much like Utena did. I want to see Sanetoshi burn in punishment, not the Takakuras (Kanba aside, depending on if he pulls the same terrorist shit again). I'd like to see all three Takakuras together again, fate averted.

Overall, I loved Penguindrum. Even though I had my doubts that the ending would be rushed and not very good, Ikuhara executed it very well.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2011, 11:41:13 PM »
Gah, being sick over the past few days has caused me to neglect a few things.

Now, to gauge interest. Who is interested in a Penguindrum marathon over the course of this week? 24 episodes lends itself to 5 days with 5 episodes (the last day having 4), 6 days with 4 episodes, or 4 days with 6 episodes. All of these have different day commitments and time commitments, so I will put it up to scrutiny along with a test of interest.

nintendonut888

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
I vouch for six days with four episodes. Keeping in mind the inevitable chatter that would follow each one, this would bring upwards of two and a half hours per day, which is enough time to keep the energy flowing without us getting tired.

Naturally, I'm in no matter what we choose. >:D I'll bring the straitjackets.

EDIT: Gah, I kinda wish I hadn't posted so soon. Now nobody will see the advertisement! D:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:54:59 PM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:14 AM »
I'm fine with whatever you choose. I'd love to come along, if you're able to accommodate me. Just a heads up that I won't be available for New Year's Eve due to attending a major family event, so I don't know if that affects plans any.