Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)  (Read 50142 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 5)
« Reply #810 on: October 19, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
>"Not restored. Haven't had time for anything like that yet. It was this way when I found it next to that river. Couldn't tell ya how long it was down there for, either."

>"It looks practically new," she says, moving around it again. "I don't think any Freelands Archaic find has been in anything near this condition. Where was this river?" The excitement in her voice is obvious.

« Reply #811 on: October 19, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
>"Hate to dissapoint, but that's something I wanted to discuss with the leader of your group."

« Reply #812 on: October 19, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
>"Hate to dissapoint, but that's something I wanted to discuss with the leader of your group."

>She looks up from the sword and frowns at you. "Oh?"

« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
>"Safe bet you're gonna wanna go and investigate the place yourselves. Well, take it from me, that place is anything but safe. I'd want to have a word with your boss about just what you can expect down there. I didn't know what I was getting into, and trust me, I paid for it."
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:15:17 AM by Old Man Sour »

« Reply #814 on: October 19, 2011, 09:36:42 PM »
>"Safe bet you're gonna wanna go and investigate the place yourselves. Well, take it from me, that place is anything but safe. I'd want to have a word with your boss about just what you can expect down there. I didn't know what I was getting into, and trust me, I paid for it."

>Her brow creases uncertainly, a flicker of disquiet in her eyes. "I... see."

« Reply #815 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
>"You mentioned Freelands Archaic. How far back are we talking with that language, centuries?"

« Reply #816 on: October 19, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »
>"You mentioned Freelands Archaic. How far back are we talking with that language, centuries?"

>"Many centuries," she replies. "We actually know very little about it or the culture that created it. Or what became of them, for that matter. It predates modern settlement in this region significantly. There have been small scattered findings over the years, but nothing on the scale of this new dig. We're really only getting started."
>She looks intently at the sword again. "Of course, this doesn't look very old at all..."

« Reply #817 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »
>Still only a student, but...
>"In all your findings and research, have you ever discovered signs, records of a conflict between the ancient peoples and- and this might sound crazy- spiders? Specifically giant spiders?"

« Reply #818 on: October 19, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »
>Still only a student, but...
>"In all your findings and research, have you ever discovered signs, records of a conflict between the ancient peoples and- and this might sound crazy- spiders? Specifically giant spiders?"

>Her features contract in wary puzzlement. "...no?"

« Reply #819 on: October 19, 2011, 11:15:43 PM »
>Chuckle.
>"Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. Had to ask, though."
>"What about other swords, or weapons in general. This the first one you've seen with this kinda writing on it?"

« Reply #820 on: October 20, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »
>Chuckle.
>"Yeah, I know it sounds crazy. Had to ask, though."
>"What about other swords, or weapons in general. This the first one you've seen with this kinda writing on it?"

>She stares at you keenly while you dismiss your question, her eyes just a little skeptical, but she says nothing.
>"I don't... think we've recovered weapons," she says. "Er, well nothing comes to mind right away, but I suppose I shouldn't really say there aren't any. I'd have to check with the professor."

« Reply #821 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:32 AM »
>"Fair enough."
>Point at the sword.
>"I admit, I'm not sure about the 'historical signifigance' of this sword, that's your department. But this guy got me out of a tight spot, and I'd like to know his story one day."
>"Well, one problem at a time. First I gotta find Marisa, then I can focus on this guy's life story. Speaking of which, if you're done...?"

« Reply #822 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »
>"Fair enough."
>Point at the sword.
>"I admit, I'm not sure about the 'historical signifigance' of this sword, that's your department. But this guy got me out of a tight spot, and I'd like to know his story one day."
>"Well, one problem at a time. First I gotta find Marisa, then I can focus on this guy's life story. Speaking of which, if you're done...?"

>Your last comment seems to pull the swordgazing student from her reverie. "Oh! Oh, sorry!" She steps back.
>"Yes, of course. I won't keep you if you have places you need to be." There is a distinct undercurrent of disappointment on her face nonetheless. "Can I get your name, at least? And you will be back to show this to the professor... right?"

« Reply #823 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:25 AM »
>"I certainly hope so."
>Start wrapping the blade again.
>"Name's Nazrin. I'll be in town at least until tomorrow afternoon sometime. If I haven't found Marisa by then, I may have to make other arrangements."

« Reply #824 on: October 20, 2011, 01:13:56 AM »
>"I certainly hope so."
>Start wrapping the blade again.
>"Name's Nazrin. I'll be in town at least until tomorrow afternoon sometime. If I haven't found Marisa by then, I may have to make other arrangements."

>She smiles brightly. "Great!"
>You start to wrap the blade once more.
>"Oh." She sags a little. "Well, I'll try to get a response from her before then, anyway. Is it okay if I leave a message for you with the guild?"

« Reply #825 on: October 20, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »
>"That'd be perfect."
>Stick out our hand to shake hers. "Come to think of it, though, I never caught your name."

« Reply #826 on: October 20, 2011, 01:29:40 AM »
>"That'd be perfect."
>Stick out our hand to shake hers. "Come to think of it, though, I never caught your name."

>"Sasha Graves," she says, accepting the handshake with a smile and a polite nod. "It was nice to meet you."

« Reply #827 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:33 AM »
>"Likewise."
>May as well head back to the guildhall, see if we can rustle up some grub.
>But before we do, stop by the woman at the counter, and ask if Marisa's been in today.

« Reply #828 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:40 AM »
>"Likewise."
>May as well head back to the guildhall, see if we can rustle up some grub.
>But before we do, stop by the woman at the counter, and ask if Marisa's been in today.

>"Good luck finding Marisa," she says as you depart.
>You start to head back to the guildhall, but decide to first inquire about Marisa with the receptionist of the Brass Lantern. Unfortunately, while she does actually recognize her description without much prompting, she claims not to have seen her recently. You thank her and exit the inn, making your way south to the guildhall.
>It is a short and uneventful trip through the quieting market. Despite idle hopes, you see no streaks of color and starlight through the night air that would tell of Marisa's presence. All is still and dark. You arrive at the guild without incident, your borrowed horse snorting just a little irately at you once you draw near to where you left it tethered earlier.

« Reply #829 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:31 AM »
>"Don't worry, I'll have you situated soon. But I'm hungry as well."
>If we still have the apple we pocketed at Big Mama's Ichirin's, offer it to him.

« Reply #830 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
>"Don't worry, I'll have you situated soon. But I'm hungry as well."
>If we still have the apple we pocketed at Big Mama's Ichirin's, offer it to him.

>The horse doesn't seem particular satisfied with this explanation.
>You do not. You took it for the road and indeed ate it along it. It was a long trip.

« Reply #831 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:44 AM »
>"Well, all right. You DID get us here in good time, after all."
>Unhitch Hungry and head for the nearest stable we know to be open.

« Reply #832 on: October 20, 2011, 02:25:44 AM »
>"Well, all right. You DID get us here in good time, after all."
>Unhitch Hungry and head for the nearest stable we know to be open.

>You decide to get the horse straightened away first, unhitching it and heading for a stable towards the eastern edge of town, along the road to Easthaven. For her part, the horse seems glad to be moving somewhere, though without any of the vim and vigor of the journey in. Which is entirely understandable, of course. In this lazy pace, you make your way to the stables.
>The stables themselves are a long mostly-flat building, its exterior somewhat rough and with just enough light by the entrance to suggest it isn't closed entirely.

« Reply #833 on: October 20, 2011, 02:35:33 AM »
>Anyone outside we have to check in with, or do we just drive him inside and the negociate for parking?

« Reply #834 on: October 20, 2011, 02:42:30 AM »
>Anyone outside we have to check in with, or do we just drive him inside and the negociate for parking?

>Essentially the latter. There will be an attendant by the gate where you can lead the horse in.

« Reply #835 on: October 20, 2011, 02:44:50 AM »
>Wryly to the horse, "Think we'll find out wayward witch in HERE?"
>Onward to the attended gate.

« Reply #836 on: October 20, 2011, 03:03:53 AM »
>Wryly to the horse, "Think we'll find out wayward witch in HERE?"
>Onward to the attended gate.

>The horse snorts quietly.
>You drive onward to the gate. A middle-aged man looks up from his post at what is essentially a gatehouse as you draw near.
>"Evening to you," he says.

« Reply #837 on: October 20, 2011, 03:14:56 AM »
>Friendly nod for the man.
>"My friend here needs a place for a couple days."

« Reply #838 on: October 20, 2011, 03:23:59 AM »
>Friendly nod for the man.
>"My friend here needs a place for a couple days."

>"Fifteen guilders a day," he says, "and a flat 10 on top if we're minding the cart, too. Cash on pickup."
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:26:27 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #839 on: October 20, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
>Fifty guilders for two days? Is that standard?
>"Small hitch. Odds are, I won't be the one picking her up. She's on load from a helpful citizen of Easthaven."