Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II  (Read 258371 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Re: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II
« Reply #690 on: August 25, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
Okay sorry to double post, but editting your post twice in one day seems kinda stupid.

I noticed that Sanae B had stages 1 and 2 open for lunatic practice, so I decided for a change of pace to try my hand at Kogasa with her. And WTF I captured her first spell card like it was nothing?! What is this I don't even...

BTW, Sanae B seems very...weird. I know there was a thread on her, but I didn't follow it and don't feel like trudging through the whole thing, so can someone tell me how she works and why she's so great? Wasn't there something about her being a "no focus = more damage" shot type?

EDIT: ...Huh. I just captured Kogasa's first spell card with Reimu A this time. I guess the more important question is when did I learn this?

And besides that, Ichirin's second spell card captured on lunatic! \o/ It's not as bad as it seems. The real trick is to not get greedy with your damage output, or you will meet da fist.

Last and definitely least, third 1cc of normal: With Marisa B. Why is this least? Well, to avoid double posting in the rage thread, let's just pretend that the run ended with me reaching Syou with 7 lives in stock, and not when Syou killed me 5 times through various clip deaths (the worst being me not realizing that Marisa B's bomb invincibility wears off BEFORE the bomb does) and me clearing with only 2 lives.

And I turned the game up to full frame rate. Suddenly my play is a lot better. :V
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:45:24 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #691 on: August 25, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
BTW, Sanae B seems very...weird. I know there was a thread on her, but I didn't follow it and don't feel like trudging through the whole thing, so can someone tell me how she works and why she's so great? Wasn't there something about her being a "no focus = more damage" shot type?
Simple. SanaeB has the shotgun + spread, as well as the second-best forward attack. The bomb also allows supergrazing (not to mention lol-shotgun + bomb).

It's about time I gave the secret. At 1.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 2 frogs, focusing gives you 1. At 2.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs, focusing gives you 2. At 3.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs(?), focusing gives you 3 frogs. At 4.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs, focusing gives you 6 (4 front, 2 side / diagonal).

So unfocus hax only works at 3.00 Power or less, really.

And besides that, Ichirin's second spell card captured on lunatic! \o/ It's not as bad as it seems. The real trick is to not get greedy with your damage output, or you will meet da fist.
Turns out I need to be more aggressive, otherwise I time it out  :V

I did more S6 grinding (turned it down to Hard), and captured everything save for 2SCs. What were they? "Magic Butterfly"UFO S6 SC2 and "Legendary Flying Saucer"UFO S6 SC6. Normally, I can do "Magic Buttefly"...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:44:11 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #692 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
By frogs, do you mean the center shot, or the diagonal shots?

Anyway, for the final accomplishment tonight (I swear...), I finally rounded out Kogasa by capturing her third spell card! I have to say, that stargroup guy was pretty lame, but I have to thank him for causing me to look into Kogasa's third spell card and realize how fun it is. One of my favorite spell cards in the game.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #693 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
Frogs. You know, the ones that come out when you fire? I don't think there's any need to clarify any further than that  :V

I see, edit for clarification for 4.00 Power.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:47:07 AM by BaitySM »
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #694 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »
By center shot, I mean the multicolored bullets that come out regardless of what your power is. thinking about it though, you must be talking about the other bullets (when they're moving, it's hard to see if they're frogs).

And I think before I do another serious attempt at UFO hard I'm gonna 1cc the game with the rest of the shot types on normal to get a feel for all of them. It seems this game has done the best job balancing the shot types since PCB, making it so there ISN'T just one uber shot type and a bunch of progressively worse ones.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #695 on: August 25, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
I finally did it! Embodiment of the scarlet devil 1cc Normal! had a life and 3 bombs left on the very lsat pattern so I just spammed 5 bombs for safety :P
Extra stage is awesome! <3 (altough I haven't reached flandre yet :o)

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #696 on: August 25, 2009, 12:49:26 PM »
Syou Spell Card Showcase

EDIT: I'll get around to a Minamitsu showcase once I can do "Eternally Anchored Ghost Ship"UFO S4 SC3 without dying. Why can't I do it? (I'll label it "appropriately" too if you so wish)

Oh, and a Byakuren showcase once I capture "Legendary Flying Saucer"UFO S6 SC6. That'll take a while though.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:06:25 PM by BaitySM »
<>

« Reply #697 on: August 25, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »
I've, err, come to the conclusion that UFO Hard is more difficult than PCB Lunatic. I just tried PCB Lunatic for the first time in months and got to Yuyuko's 4th spell card on my first attempt without continuing. I haven't ever grinded PCB Lunatic either or practiced any of its stages, whereas I've been grinding UFO Hard for the best part of a week (minus some time for EoSD Extra obv), and yet on my first attempt I get further through Yuyuko than I've ever gotten with Hiziri. <_<

PCB is probably the 2nd easiest Touhou game, due to the amount of lives you get and the supernatural borders. Both SA and UFO on hard are harder than PCB on lunatic.

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #698 on: August 25, 2009, 02:01:55 PM »
Cleared UFO easy with all shot types~  I think I'm going to ditch ReimuA for SanaeB because she is amazing.  I'm going hold off on attempting normal until the English Patch comes out.

Now to go back to bagging my head against SA's extra. xx
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #699 on: August 25, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
It's about time I gave the secret. At 1.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 2 frogs, focusing gives you 1. At 2.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs, focusing gives you 2. At 3.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs(?), focusing gives you 3 frogs. At 4.00 Power, unfocusing gives you 4 frogs, focusing gives you 6 (4 front, 2 side / diagonal).

I don't think this is the reason unfocused does more.  My argument is that, while you do get 4 frogs at 2.00 power, you can only shotgun with 2 of them hitting anyway, but it still does much more damage that hitting with the 2 focused frogs.  Here's my theory:

As with previous games, a character's normal shot (amulets, christmas trees, whatever the fuck Sanae uses...) are strongest at 1.00 power, and reduce in strength as you gain power.  However, in SA, there were exceptions to this rule: namely, Patch-Wood and Patch-Earth.  I believe Unfocused SanaeB (as well as MarisaB focused or unfocused) is also an exception, so the path goes like this (in order of unfocused then focused):

1.00 power

Powerful normal shot and 2 frogs hitting
Powerful normal shot and 1 frog hitting

2.00 power

Weaker normal shot and 2 frogs hitting

Powerful normal shot and 3 frogs hitting
Even weaker normal shot and 3 frogs hitting

Weakest normal shot and 6 frogs hitting

Now, based on this theory, I have to assume that frogs themselves get stronger, otherwise Unfocused 2.00 is the same as (or better than) Unfocused 4.00 power.  But this is just speculation.

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #700 on: August 25, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Sanae fires SoEW Reimu's basic shots, except more colourful. UFO is a huge PC 98 and Space Invaders reference. =3

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #701 on: August 25, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
Sanae fires SoEW Reimu's basic shots, except more colourful. UFO is a huge PC 98 and Space Invaders reference. =3

Are they still amulets, then?  If so, then we need a distinction...

Reimulets?
Sanamulets?

Rainbow Squares?

Ah!

Sanae shoots ravioli.

« Reply #702 on: August 25, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
Hey everyone! Have you guys tried to timeout Byakuren's Shinki spellcard? I don't know what to call it. I'm thinking of BoLaD Mark 2 cause Byakuren Rape Time is a little too much.

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #703 on: August 25, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »
I FINALY UNLOCKED AN EXTRA STAGE FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!

Its UFO's on Sanae B.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #704 on: August 25, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
Brilliant Dragon Bullet Lunatic no-vert cap. Amazingly enough, only took 44 attempts (this requires a healthy dose of luck to cap in this fashion). Now to time it out...
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

nintendonut888

« Reply #705 on: August 25, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Hey everyone! Have you guys tried to timeout Byakuren's Shinki spellcard? I don't know what to call it. I'm thinking of BoLaD Mark 2 cause Byakuren Rape Time is a little too much.

Old. Very old. Also it's much easier than BoLaD time out or Gengetu Rape Time.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:02 PM »
Old. Very old. Also it's much easier than BoLaD time out or Gengetu Rape Time.

This might be a bit of a stupid question, but what actually is Gengetu Rape Time? I assume it's some kind of difficult timeout phase but other than that I'm clueless.
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

« Reply #707 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxmaw-8UCn0

It's what happens when you time out Gengetu's last phase and she decides you take life for granted.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #708 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
@_@ I see... suddenly QED's timeout phase doesn't seem so insane after all.
Let's fight.

Hawk

• Babababa~
« Reply #709 on: August 25, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
Woo hoo!  1CC'd UFO Normal with MarisaB.  It's weird how it was so much harder than the rest.  But now Extra is unlocked for everyone.

« Reply #710 on: August 25, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
It's weird how it was so much harder than the rest.
Well, until you consider how terrible her bomb is. v;

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #711 on: August 25, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
AAAAUGH GENGETU SPARK

Managed to get to Gengetu's fifth phase.  Problems:

1) I thought I knew how the fourth phase (bouncy yellow diamonds) worked.  BOY WAS I WRONG.  Help?

2) Died 8 times...only bombed 11.  Need to work on that.

3) HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THE FIFTH PHASE IT'S A WALL OF BLUE

I dodged it by sheer luck once, then got GENGETU SPAAAAAAAAAK'd in the face.  Help!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

nintendonut888

« Reply #712 on: August 25, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
It's actually not that hard. Stay in the center of the blast, quickly dodge in a horizontal direction and move back. I hope you know how to dodge the spark part.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #713 on: August 25, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »
I dunno, it looks like there are way too many of the little blue things, but next time I get there I'll give it a go.

Awesome Nue run.  Two bombs on the stage (Kogasa's third card and an error on the grid part), one bomb on her third noncard (I hate that attack) and captured everything else until a clipdeath on Danmaku Chimera.  The darkness card is complete crap, though.  It makes Genetics look fair.  Game overed by standing on the first horizontal laser on the survival card.

Damn, at this rate I'll clear two Extras in the next couple weeks!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #714 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
I tried some no-bomb runs of IN lunatic for the lulz and because I was starting to get sick of UFO.  It was mostly just stage 1 restarts, but I had two runs where I got somewhere. 

The first time I crapped all over stages 2/3 and died at Ephemerality or something like that.  The second I got 3 lives raped out of me by Mystia (two to her penultimate card... yeah), but then somehow managed to get all the way to Marisa's last noncard (I perfected midboss Marisa too, which I've never done).

I almost want to look into this more, but I'm painfully inconsistent with Mystia and Marisa and the thought of actually going up against Kaguya without bombs kind of makes me die a little inside.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #715 on: August 25, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »
Captured 9-1 and 10-1 in Shoot the Bullet, pushing me up to 69 scenes cleared.  I'm on a roll for getting past deliberately impossible attacks.

Bananamatic

« Reply #716 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:06 PM »
HOLY CRAP, VSYNC PATCH=MAGIC.

Tried EoSD, defeated Flandre(for the second time ever), almost with 2 lives left.....
Captured Starbow Break(safespotted it before), Catadioptric(never managed it before), Maze of Love with 1 bomb, then clipped QED like a total newb.
Still, a much nicer run than my first clear which took 130+ attempts :V
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:32:47 PM by Bananamatic »

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #717 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »
First tried Flandre with vsync patch! :V

...Kinda.

It was my first time ever getting past maze of love, so I was kinda lost from that point on, but I made it to QED, sweat dripping from my brow in the epicness of actually taking out the infamous Flandre in one try, a few miracle dodges later, I see light and rapidfire noises...!

And I die. At the same time Flandre did. I am not sure whether to call that a victory or not. I mean, I didn't see the results screen, but she had no more life to speak of...

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #718 on: August 25, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
Speculation about Power.
I don't think that the base shot is getting weaker. I'm trying it at various powers, and don't see any difference. Perhaps the speed of the frog is inversely proportional to damage? So we could be having say, faster frogs doing a lesser amount of damage (at lowest; half the damage) than the slower frogs.

Hey everyone! Have you guys tried to timeout Byakuren's Shinki spellcard?
Yes I have.
This might be a bit of a stupid question, but what actually is Gengetu Rape Time? I assume it's some kind of difficult timeout phase but other than that I'm clueless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxmaw-8UCn0

It's what happens when you time out Gengetu's last phase and she decides you take life for granted.
Funny how I actually managed to properly dodge a few rings, isn't it?

Analysis of Syou's SCs in a bit. At worst, it'll be vague information. At best, it'll help  :V
<>

« Reply #719 on: August 25, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
I just 1cced Perfect Cherry Blossom on normal with ReimuB, my first normal 1cc of any Touhou game. I did start with 4 lives instead of the default 3, though, and the only way I got past Resurrection Butterfly was with heavy bomb use. Still, I'm very happy, especially considering I haven't played PCB since UFO came out. Replay here.