Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II  (Read 258376 times)

Re: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II
« Reply #450 on: August 15, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
Tried UFO, cleared it on easy. I had almost max lives on stage 6 but lost a few of them because of stupid deaths. Also, I had no idea how the UFOs worked at first, so I lost some life/bomb stars because I destroyed them too soon, or waited too much and they went away.

I believe UFO will be my favorite on the Easy difficulty. Decent challenge on some spellcards, and nearly impossible to ragequit because awesome music.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #451 on: August 15, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
I reached Kaguya in IN Normal. But I died and I couldn't use another continue...

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4298

Pulled off a normal 1cc at last. You know, there's something I've come to terms with: I'm a boring player. It doesn't matter how many different shot types there are, how varied they are, I always play best with the concentrated, high power, reasonably slow moving character. With the exception of SoEW (where the danmaku makes the concentrated type suck), LLS (where using said shot type is shameful), and partially IN (Yukari's close enough though), all my best shot types are boring ol' center shot. But hey, this was my first attempt with Reimu A, so that's something.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
With the exception of SoEW (where the danmaku makes the concentrated type suck)
?  I didn't have a problem, except with lolMima.

Also, the concentrated high-power shot is mathematically the best in PCB, MoF, and SA anyway.  Consider branching out to MarisA in UFO if you want to try something different, though - her focused speed is the same as Reimu's IIRC, and the piercing lasers are actually pretty helpful.

nintendonut888

« Reply #454 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »
That's the thing: I was playing Marisa A before this (Sanae A doesn't do enough damage), I thought she was for me, but Marisa's speed kept on slamming me into bullets. My relationship with Marisa just wasn't the same ever since she decided to steal another ability and stole Sakuya's impossible focus speed. Also, is it just me, or is Sanae's hitbox magnetically attracted to bullets?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #455 on: August 15, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
With the exception of SoEW (where the danmaku makes the concentrated type suck)
?  I didn't have a problem, except with lolMima.
At higher difficulties, you start to get walled by not killing certain enemies (well, I found this anyway). Also, I actually found the concentrated type too slow for my tastes.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2009, 10:07:57 PM »
My relationship with Marisa just wasn't the same ever since she decided to steal another ability and stole Sakuya's impossible focus speed.
That's the thing, though - every character has Sakuya's impossible focus speed.

Also, is it just me, or is Sanae's hitbox magnetically attracted to bullets?
No, Hiziri's first spell card is the Embodiment of Violet Clipdeath.
I didn't have a problem with SanAe outside her low power, but it was well worth it in the stages.

At higher difficulties, you start to get walled by not killing certain enemies (well, I found this anyway).
Surely there's enough spread there to let you get by with streaming?  I hope...  I'm already seeing the implications of enemies dropping deathshots on Lunatic - the end of Stage 3's going to be a nightmare; I run into enemies enough as is.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #457 on: August 15, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
Surely there's enough spread there to let you get by with streaming?  I hope...  I'm already seeing the implications of enemies dropping deathshots on Lunatic - the end of Stage 3's going to be a nightmare; I run into enemies enough as is.
Not with enemies coming in from behind, falling walls of invulnerable enemies, and the issue of power gaining (I've never made it to Max Power for Lunatic).
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #458 on: August 15, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »
I heard that everyone's focus speed is the same, and I call BS. Reimu felt much more manageble than the other two. Or is it just her smaller hitbox?

ATTENTION ZUN: WHY DO WE NEED DIFFERENT SIZED HITBOXES? Everything was fine until IN. Even PCB had the size difference be negligible, but from IN on it's a liability to everyone else for no reason.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #459 on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
I heard that everyone's focus speed is the same, and I call BS. Reimu felt much more manageble than the other two. Or is it just her smaller hitbox?

ATTENTION ZUN: WHY DO WE NEED DIFFERENT SIZED HITBOXES? Everything was fine until IN. Even PCB had the size difference be negligible, but from IN on it's a liability to everyone else for no reason.

(Image was scaled down a bit)
<>

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #460 on: August 15, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
...and after trying Hiziri in Stage Practice with MarisA, I captured all of her spells except the last one and the third one (which actually seems to look harder than it is).  So I think Hiziri is definitely doable with practice - it's just her third and fourth nonspells that frustrate me more than anything.  (Now I can't wait to see these attacks on higher difficulty levels.)

One other problem with MarisA - it's hard to see the shiny animated bullets through her shiny animated options.

« Reply #461 on: August 16, 2009, 01:23:48 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4305
perfecting UFO stage 4 hard in my boredom, BTW there should be a no UFO special condition for this game.

EDIT:either it's just me or the replays that player Derp posted on the replay archive are unmarked tool assist. The way he copies the scoring strategy from other replays is pretty hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 01:54:43 AM by exe3e »

« Reply #462 on: August 16, 2009, 01:31:36 AM »
Another Extra Clear, this time I failed two cards (I think). This run happened to capture her time out card, so I'm 1/3 on it.

Very fun shit that thing is.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmNnfx7H4Y
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:31:50 AM by bjw »

« Reply #463 on: August 16, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »
Captured Hiziri's last spell on lolnormal.  It's pretty hard. And fun. 

I also tried timing it out to see if it has an extra phase, and indeed it does.  The bullets all turn red and get a lot denser.  Though I'm not sure if it's actually harder than normal or if it just has the last phase suddenly appear like in PCB extra.  Haven't faced it enough times to really tell.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2009, 02:26:31 AM »
[12:20]  * BaitySM[SoEW] died on the last phase
*snip*
[12:21] <BaitySM[SoEW]> i almost survived one wave of the BS star walls too  :o
*snip*
[12:22] <BaitySM[SoEW]> started 0/1; got a life, got an extra bomb
[12:22] <BaitySM[SoEW]> so i used 7 bombs total
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #465 on: August 16, 2009, 02:30:13 AM »
I beat SoEW lunatic with with -1/2 a life left. :V My first time pulling it off, Mima hit me on the BS clipdeath wave of her final phase, I was dying, and just before I exploded and the game registered my game over, she died and froze gameplay, saving me. So try doing something like that next time.

Krimmydoodle

• We must apply more SCIENCE!
« Reply #466 on: August 16, 2009, 02:31:35 AM »
UFO Stage 5 Lunatic Clear, SanaeB, after a continue

As I mention in the upload comments, most of the Syou fight is an instabomb right now (maybe now that I have it unlocked in Practice I can start figuring out how to read her attacks), but I think I have a method here to clear the stage portions without bombs, using the proper streaming and UFO abuse.
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

« Reply #467 on: August 16, 2009, 03:15:54 AM »
Aaaaaaand one more before I finally call it a night:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4309

The second half of UFO st. 3 lunatic without deaths/bombs/UFOs.  I have no idea how the hell I managed this.  I'm gonna have to review it to see if it can be replicated.  Ignore the hilariously bad Ichirin fights please.  >_>

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #468 on: August 16, 2009, 03:19:40 AM »
Assuming it's the same thing that I did, it's memorizable.

In other news, Gift of the Gods! I've worked out how to do Stage 3 SoEW with only 1 bomb  :V
Whether this'll work in practice; I have no idea, and I'll be checking it now.

EDIT: Snazzy, it works.

EDIT 2: Would I rely on it? ...maybe. I'd rather bomb though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:41:08 AM by BaitySM »
<>

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #469 on: August 16, 2009, 03:50:41 AM »
Finally successfully continue spammed through UFO Lunatic.  I'm not sure what the bigger accomplishment is, having the ability to do it, or the patience to do it.  (Probably the patience, since a lot of it was heavy heavy bomb spam during the last few boss fights.)
Whether you're on Easy or you're a Lunatic, be damn proud of your accomplishments.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise, for it's when you lose faith in your own achievements that those victories become defeats.

nintendonut888

« Reply #470 on: August 16, 2009, 04:12:59 AM »
How is Byakuren's last spell card? I'm very curious how it looks on lunatic.

Krimmydoodle

« Reply #471 on: August 16, 2009, 04:38:47 AM »
Last spell card really isn't that hard.  Looking over both it and the Normal version, they start out at the exact same density, only the Lunatic card moves faster and becomes slightly more dense than lower difficulty versions.  As far as a capture, it's not "final spell card" material.  Every final card other than Subterranean Sun out-spells this by far (and even Subterranean Sun may be a bit easier than Legendary Flying Saucer okay, it's not THAT easy, it just feels that way after you've bomb spammed your way through the game and gone through all of the -other- bullshit cards that the game has to offer). 

Feel free to see it for yourself.

I'm grabbing some dinner, then I'm going to look over how it looks when you time it out.  Since Subterranean Sun gains its real beef when you're timing it out, I have a suspicion that this'll do the same. 

Edit: Yeah, once the timer gets down to about 30 seconds, the card kicks into overdrive, hitting a peak of speed and density, and it gets pretty hard to read all the circles that are going on.  I'd put a replay, but I'm playing embarrassingly horribly right now, so I'm done with this for the night.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 05:19:47 AM by Krim »

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #472 on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:08 AM »
Got to Syou's last card on my second run of UFO. I perfected the stage portion but I only had 3 lives through the whole thing because I got massacred by CAPTAIN MURASA. Syou isn't that hard, but her laser shit will take some getting used to, especially her first nonspell.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #473 on: August 16, 2009, 04:58:29 AM »
Got to Syou's last card on my second run of UFO. I perfected the stage portion but I only had 3 lives through the whole thing because I got massacred by CAPTAIN MURASA. Syou isn't that hard, but her laser shit will take some getting used to, especially her first nonspell.
Sup' Kanako.
Also, captured Hiziri's last two spells. In easy, mind you. I still did it.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #474 on: August 16, 2009, 05:30:13 AM »

Videos are of "meh" quality. I only took Stages 4 and 5 because they were the most interesting. I also learnt a few things I never did before, particularly that of Marisa's attacks.
<>

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #475 on: August 16, 2009, 05:46:45 AM »
UFO normal 1CC yay...I didn't take my chances with the final boss and just bomb spammed the heck out of her though lol.

UFO on normal seemed easier than SA on normal imo..or maybe I'm just better, I dunno. Alot of my deaths are caused by trying to grab ufos though, that's half the challenge right there.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #476 on: August 16, 2009, 06:59:15 AM »
EDIT:either it's just me or the replays that player Derp posted on the replay archive are unmarked tool assist. The way he copies the scoring strategy from other replays is pretty hilarious.
This replay has hints of Tool assistance on it. Of course, I would like more opinions on this myself.

First, streaming at the start, I've never seen anybody "microstream" the same distance consistently. You'll see where quite easily.

Something looked strange on Kanako's opener, but since it was bombed, I'll let it go.

"Yamato Torus"... somewhat believable.

"Heaven's Stream". I saw some extremely fine unfocused movement. I can solo it out if you want. This is what recording software is designed to do. This is the major suspect spot. Also, if that was an attempt to take it out as fast as you can while still capturing it, he's doing it wrong.

And "VoWG"... I'm not too sure myself, but the point where "Derp" died is a rather... easy wave to follow through unfocused, if you count "consistent" skill into it.

EDIT: As a whole, the replays sum up to be inconsistent levels of play.
The one with "VoWG" no focus, no death, no bombs timeout has a fair few freak dodges, which I just cannot believe.

Also:
Near-perfect scoring run of MoF stage 6 Lunatic. Only significant mistake is a deathbomb during noncard 3 that causes some of the point items released after capturing Yamato Torus to become power items.
...It's imperfect as all hell. Apart from the "what" moment of AP3 (which I believe, during a stage practice; most people would either bomb earlier, or die), the strat for scoring is well, outdated. Clearly, he hasn't seen my scoring strat for the stage  :V
He's missing another 4 point items on top of his current score.

EDIT 2: Number 3950 and 3951 were created within the span of about 25 minutes. Guess  :V

Here's a list of replays.

Going to look into the other replays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXo2Pl07y5E

EDIT 3: lol-fixes
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:11:39 AM by BaitySM »
<>

nintendonut888

« Reply #477 on: August 16, 2009, 07:41:37 AM »
Huh...suddenly UFO just rose up a notch in my eyes.

After a LOT of grinding lunatic, I FINALLY managed to reach Ichirin and FINALLY passed her. Not only that, but I captured her first spell card! I can't really be proud of it due to lol 20 FPS whenever brofists were on the screen, but I was still shocked when it happened. I'm starting to see how you get through the dreaded walls thanks to replays, but it's still a very unreasonable part of the stage. I couldn't pass stage 4, but stage 4 is a LOT easier than stage 3, and I even captured CAPTAIN MOTHERFUCKIN' MURASA's first spell card once I realized the change. Perhaps lunatic is possible after all?

As for Kogasa, I think she is...OMG...actually the difficulty of a stage 2 boss now. I don't know if anything about her was tweaked or not, but I found her a LOT easier than when I fought her in the demo. I nearly captured her infamous first spell card, and captured her second. I still have absolutely no idea how to capture her third spell card though. :(

And as for Byakuren, I captured Flying Fantastica. It really isn't that tough once you realize what's going on and what you have to do.

Also, hey, has anyone noticed? ZUN did the unthinkable: He didn't have a death fairy in this game! ;_; And I took the time to cook up a name for her and everything...

Finally, I really should try extra for a third time. >_>
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:00:37 AM by nintendonut888 »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #478 on: August 16, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »
Whoops! Forgot to set my video to public, silly me. Ok, done.
<>

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #479 on: August 16, 2009, 08:45:53 AM »
not much of an achiement.. but I got to the extra stage boss wewt.. From what I heard so far, her music is very flandre-esque.

extra stage's midboss 2nd spellcard seemed impossible at first, but it's actually quite easy once you figure out how to look at it a certain way, kinda strange how it works out.

As for UFO in general, I've noticed some new concepts in it.

1: UFO in general seems to be very very demanding on reflex-speed compared to other Touhous. Seems there are alot of spells that involve not seeing the patch of a bullet until it's less than a quarter of a second from hitting you.
2: squiggly lasers are evil. I hate em.