Author Topic: What has Touhou done for you?  (Read 23191 times)

Yuyuko Yakumo

• Carry me~ow
  • Rawr I eat your face with maaaaaagicalness
Re: What has Touhou done for you?
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Now I know what half the memes are on Youtube.

It's actually helped me with problem solving skills, how to get around attack patterns and such.
I know, I know. I'll get a real avatar and signature soon. -_-

Aquila

• Sprite animator
  • Productivity is a drug
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »
Touhou has been giving me plenty of things to do in my spare time and helping me immensely in my Japanese language studies. Not to mention directing my ears to immense amounts of awesome music.

Juhani

• Jedi catgirl
  • Pelipper
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
Touhou has made me some friends in college and at conventions from Touhou-related things. Socialization, yay!

It also inspires me art-wise, I love the music and can imagine pictures in my head, Touhou-related or not, when listening to them. Especially Sanae's theme...

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:20 AM »
Tomorrow, I will hug my friend who sits behind me in class, just because she Touhou's.

Even though she doesn't know me... :(

Kilvoctu

• Aya Lover
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »
It has changed my life (for the better!), in ways too numerous to list here.
Though, some ones of note:
I've developed a Magic the Gathering Touhou set). I was ready to call it done, but actually put it back in progress, due to TH13's upcoming.
The only music I listen to (or search for) anymore are Touhou arranges. On that note, about 08% of all media I've downloaded to my computer in the last several years was Touhou-related.
My PS3, which I take to school to partake in gaming, has been affixed with a fairly high quality Touhou decal of Reimu and Yukari.

Anyway, I believe my obsession with Touhou has given my life a bit more culture, so to speak. Beforehand, I didn't exactly any specific thing that I was a serious fan of.

atoms2ashes

• I am lame, and I shall not be forced to become otherwise.
  • Fresco makes everything better.
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:01 AM »
Because of Touhou, I've improved my art because of the abundance of interesting models I could draw.
Starting from Koishi, ending in Medicine (for now, that is), the amount of improvement I've had had grown so much.

« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
It wasted about 2 years of...

And no, this isn't about how many hours you've wasted away playing the games or anything like that.

I mean, what things has it inspired you to do?
Oh... Well then!  It's the first game (EoSD) of the bullet hell genre I played (inspired by the infamous MushiFutari video), which has been amazing for its entertainment value and helping me put more effort into things that won't do a thing for me in real life.  Not to mention all the Touhou spinoffs and other doujin games out there.  At a couple points I planned to make my own games because of Touhou, but it always came down to me being awful at programming (I barely passed Visual Basic in high school XD) and having no clue what to program with that's free, easy to use, and has a GUI (so no danmakufu).  If anyone has suggestions on that, I'd love them btw :3.

I also made quite a few friends through the Touhou community (yay!) and my rabid fandom interest in the series helped me find out a lot of my friends from MMOs and such (I'm a shut-in, irl friends are out =/) are into Touhou as well.

Reading through other posts to help me think here... Like Funen, I also got more into fighting games because of Touhou.  A friend of mine wanted an IaMP buddy, and thus my journey began...  I'm still pretty picky about fighters (I don't like slow-paced stuff like SF), but the skills definitely carry over a bit to the ones I do play.

Musically, it's probably a part of what pushed me deeper into j-core.  Before Touhou, I mostly only listened to DJ Sharpnel as far as j-core went, but somewhere along the road of listening to Touhou music I drifted from mainstream stuff like IOSYS and Silver Forest to t+pazolite and DJ Technetium, and from there I drifted back away from Touhou to M-Project, Spy-47, etc.

It's actually helped me with problem solving skills, how to get around attack patterns and such.
Me too!  Don't ask me to think of examples though... >_>

On the negative side, it also got me into bombing as I get hit instead of before I get hit.  This will not serve me will with TD...

Unlike the artists and musicians here, I've never been a really creative person at heart, so I'm not sure how much Touhou's affected me in terms of inspiration.  Who knows though, maybe one day I'll have some sudden ideas!  I think a lot of my issue in that department is lack of experience, so I just need to get myself motivated...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:48:39 AM by chirpy13 »

Jitters

• Hyperactive Dreamer
  • Becuase None Of Us Are Normal
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
Touhou has given me more things to both obsess and ponder over.
And also some fun games to play.
Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Sality

« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2011, 02:59:52 PM »
Touhou forces me to improve my finger movement in gaming. (it also forces me to use glasses, but that's for another story)

Although I often got called "lolicon" by my friends who sucks at/never play Touhou, haha.

Tired/Warm

• Apostatical Verdant Eudaemonaic
  • This is my danmaku.
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
I live in a very remote place, though not the remotest I've lived. It lies between the boundaries of habitability and survival. It's not a terrible place - but for a person like me, who wants to have warm summers filled with rain, and occasionally fade back into the swamp... Well, perhaps it's not the most wonderful place, either. There are no jobs, and no easy way out. Besides my small garden, which often has trouble surviving the winter, and the books that the local library supplies, local friends are hard to come by - but through my plants and a good mystery, I entertain myself while I grind away the hours waiting for yet another letter informing me in bold-face type that I am not needed - now if I had a bachelors on hand, an accounting degree, perhaps, then there'd be some use for me.

A time not too far back, I discovered Touhou - to be more precise, a friend was like 'awright play this game or I won't be your friend anymore. I am sending it in the mail, and if you don't like it you are a fool.' That was literally the conversation. A week of sleepless nights later, and I'm addicted to the gameplay and characters, but not really a true fan of Gensokyo. For one thing, I still play on easy mode, eheheh~  :derp: Not that there is really anything wrong with that, is there?

Later, I discover the PC-98 games, that there are in fact games beyond EoSD, and become more entranced by Touhou every waking minute. I make new friends, one of whom turns me on to Umineko on the premise "You read a lot of mysteries, you'll like it." The two end up affecting my writing style, my thoughts, and just about everything more profoundly than my first Busman's Holiday. Which is really profound. Like, eight orders of magnitude profound.

I've met some of my best friends through Touhou. It's reassured me in my confidence, and although I don't have too many goals in life, one is to try to find a way to express my gratitude to the community that helps make it so vibrant. The music, the art (I'm dead serious here - the colors, the costumes, everything), the story... It reminds me of that feeling of exploration and wonder that I felt hiking up streams and exploring hills when I was young. Well, that's enough from me. Thanks, Touhou, and thank you, ZUN. To everyone - thank you.

Well, that was pretty embarrassing. Here's a less-texty version! Touhou is like milk - it does a body good. 8)

Awesome sig courtesy of Squawkers23! Thanks!

Oh, you're looking for words? My writing is here.
Do you remember me? I also remember you - and though we haven't met in so many days, I still know you and love your memories. If you stumbled upon this - good luck, in whatever you might do.

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
One thing Touhou has done that I'm not too happy about is it makes other games seem boring sometimes.

OMG DODGE DODGE *spellcard start noise* DODGE DODGE DODGE *bonus awarded* *bulleettttttttttttsssssssss*

Versus

Jump. Jump. Slash something.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »
A lot of things, but to begin with, it has broadened my mythology and literature horizons like nothing else.