Author Topic: The RKS Thread: (Previously the RKS English patch thread)  (Read 5115 times)

Letty Whiterock

The RKS Thread: (Previously the RKS English patch thread)
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:55:33 AM »
The release is coming up, and I have a question for you guys. The guy I'm working with has decided that in order to install the English patch, you need the original game disc, physical or ISO. This was necessary to preview the script for the English Trial release, but for the final release, I think this is a really stupid idea. However, I may be in the minority here. Could you guys give me your opinion?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:17:52 PM by Letty★Whiterock »

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
Re: A serious question concerning the RKS English patch
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:57:23 AM »
The release is coming up, and I have a question for you guys. The guy I'm working with has decided that in order to install the English patch, you need the original game disc, physical or ISO. This was necessary to preview the script for the English Trial release, but for the final release, I think this is a really stupid idea. However, I may be in the minority here. Could you guys give me your opinion?
um, what, why. Just point it to an install directory and have it patch the datfile, not a hard thing considering RKS's datfiles are very simple to work with (xor encraption, some simple compression at points, largely just crap concatenated together, scripts are largely plaintext, images are bitmaps)
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:02:33 AM »
We know all about file replacements, and there are a lot of things to replace. It's not a matter of how or why. It's a matter of whether or not it should be done.

Edit: You don't actually *need* it from a tech standpoint. He is just making it a requirement for the patch.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:13:23 AM by Letty Whiterock »

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:16:06 AM »
Well, my point is that having such a requirement is utterly stupid - there's no need for it at all.
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »
I imagine most people would have deleted the iso after installing, which forces them to download it again to use the patch.

And I imagine less than 1% of the western audience for this game actually bought the game, so if his goal was to discourage piracy he shouldn't have bothered making the patch at all.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:12 AM »
http://schwer-muta.blogspot.com/2009/07/english-patch-question.html

Here is a blog post about it that contains further details. Please read it.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »
I'm a bit confused, so the reason he's doing it is because it makes the install process have fewer steps and makes sure all the correct content is in the game?

I can understand the reasoning behind that, but again it's still an annoyance because most people probably don't have the ISO on hand.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
I'm a bit confused, so the reason he's doing it is because it makes the install process have fewer steps and makes sure all the correct content is in the game?

I can understand the reasoning behind that, but again it's still an annoyance because most people probably don't have the ISO on hand.
Basically, it amounts to "people have proven themselves to be kinda dumb when it comes to patching the game, so we have to do this to ensure they do it right." I say "if they can't do it, they don't play it." It is a huge hassle to get the disc and whatever, and in the end, someone will undoubtedly just take the patched version and release it separately from us anyway.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:45:42 AM »
The way I see it, the no-iso setup would make it inconvenient for people who can't manage to follow a readme, but the build he's going for would make it inconvenient for everyone. I'd be inclined to side with you on this.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 06:29:18 AM »
Just make both. Make requiring the disk the "easy install option", and the other the convenient one.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
Doing both would defeat the point of making the disk-required install, since of course everyone will download the no-disk version, and then they'll complain that they can't get it to work.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
He has a point.  You see this with touhou games all the time - some goober downloads a rip of the game, not the ISO, then complains to everyone who will listen when it doesn't work.

I'm for either solution, but I'm also for making games less accessible to lazy people, so hey.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »
Welp, it doesn't really matter at this point.

http://schwer-muta.blogspot.com/2009/07/english-patch-answer.html

"practicality and ethics"

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »
Welp, it doesn't really matter at this point.

http://schwer-muta.blogspot.com/2009/07/english-patch-answer.html

"practicality and ethics"

OK, the 'ethics' part I get. But the 'practicality'? Erm . . .

Quote from: Letty Whiterock
For those of you who already have the game installed, you will inevitably have to uninstall the game and reinstall it from the disc using the English patch.

I don't quite see how that's 'practical'. Of course, it wasn't your call, so you can't be blamed for any of this. Instead, it just means that those of the RKS community who don't have the disc or ISO will have to instead find it somehow.

Emphasis on 'somehow'.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:16:24 AM »
Way to fuck things up.

Sounds like the guy making the patch is an idiot. I'm not gonna be using the english patch.

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 11:24:24 AM »
break the support disc

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 11:26:02 AM »
Way to fuck things up.

Sounds like the guy making the patch is an idiot. I'm not gonna be using the english patch.
As much I really don't want to do this, I have a plan. Don't worry.

Herasy

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:41:11 PM »
As much I really don't want to do this, I have a plan. Don't worry.
Letty Whiterock, the man winter spirit with the plan!

Here's hoping the CD isn't required for patch installation, I really don't want to have to go "acquire" it.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
at least an ISO is acceptable.  I remember the good old Mirror Moon MBR patches.

Letty Whiterock

Re: The RKS Thread: (Previously the RKS English patch thread)
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
Remember when Freudenstachel was supposed to come out? Yeah, me neither.

Letty Whiterock

Re: The RKS Thread: (Previously the RKS English patch thread)
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 03:54:54 PM »
Actually, you know what? Screw this thread. I'll take it to the Mega Man thread.