Author Topic: The Magic Shota Dragon Project  (Read 16036 times)

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
Re: The Magic Shota Dragon Project
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
No complaints here. I'm going to try and study Danmakufu so I can actually contribute shit to this.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
Done. I think this is a pretty neat idea and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: How would you react to men in Touhou
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »
No complaints here. I'm going to try and study Danmakufu so I can actually contribute shit to this.
You know what?

If you manage to flesh out a character that is plausible, likeable, doesn't feel too out of place etc., i.e. a good and sound character, I'd be glad to do the scripting for a boss battle.
IF, that is. I usually have a low tolerance for OCs, and I don't work on stuff that I don't like, obviously. Call me elitist.  :derp:
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »
Abdurrahman Fetullah ibn Ahmad ibn Sa'id is my suggestion.

atoms2ashes

• I am lame, and I shall not be forced to become otherwise.
  • Fresco makes everything better.
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »
Cloud Youkai.

Computer youkai.

Buddhist Priest in training.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 05:26:07 PM »
Gary.

Gary was here, Reimu is a loser.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
So I decided to draw my own version of the Shouta Dragon. Named Wakahisa No Shouta.

He has 7 colors on him, too, to keep the rainbow motif.

(Image)
Now who'll make a Zun-Style Official Profile?
Flight of the Borealis
Wakahisa No Shouta

Species: Dragon
Ability: Manipulation of Light

Long before Gensokyo, long before the atmosphere learned how to create red morning skies and rainbows in a storm, these phenomenon were delivered by a Dragon who flew through the skies.  Though too shy to let himself be seen, Shouta always left a gift of a beautiful sky in his wake.  Humans, youkai, and gods, though they didn't know his name, appreciated the show all the same.

But, over time, humans sought their own explanation for these celestial light shows.  Angered by the loss of the majesty and mystery of his creations, Shouta left the human world behind and decided to spend his time solely in Gensokyo.  He has since become less shy, but his grudge remains, and he is known to be irritable when visited by humans or anyone who insists on overanalyzing things.

Montblanc

• I'll drive my toe into your eye socket,
  • And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »
Wakahisa No Shouta

The Highest God of Illusion

Usual Threat Level: Extremely High

Usual Frequency of Encounter: Extremely Low

The last time the Great Lord Wakahisa appeared to the world, the Great Hakurei Border had just been constructed. He appeared in the sky, blotting it out, everything became dark, waters rose in a threat to flood, and lightning fell from the great Dragon's many coils. The Youkai Sages at the time staked their existence on a pledge to him, and at that moment, he roared. Instantly, the waters drew back, the light returned to the Heavens, and Lord Wakahisa disappeared from the sky.

Since then he has been worshipped, and never again seen - although the existence of rainbows, and the Messengers of the Dragon Palace, still confirm his existence.

In fact, what is not known is that Lord Wakahisa spends most of his time in his humanoid form - here he goes by his given name, Shouta. He feels it is a name befitting of someone as great as he, one who soars, and one who is great and thick. But others seem to take other meaning off of his name, and think it is cute.

Shouta does not enjoy being called cute.*

In fact, for all the amazing power he wields, he is quite immature - he appeared to Gensokyo in the past because he wanted to be worshipped and revered. He also wanted to be seen as all-knowing, so he secretly contacted a Kappa friend of his to make a statue of him in the Human Village, and a Weathercasting device was to be placed inside. Incidentally, this casting is correct 70% of the time.*

Shouta is a showoff by nature, and likes to demonstrate his power often - however, he thinks it's more fun to be mysterious, and so he does not expose the true extent of his powers to people when in his assumed form.*

While he possesses the power to create or destroy anything, he often holds himself in check of overusing his powers, for he feels a good leader should be kind and gentle with his people. Or at least, that's what he tells the few people who know of his true identity.*

When he's bored, he's known to have competitions with his four most powerful followers*, although he lets them use their true forms while he sticks to his assumed one, to make things more fair. Even so, he doesn't hesitate to let out some more of his true power if he's afraid that he might lose, so he's secretly a bit of a cheater.

Recently, he's started to notice the many incidents of Gensokyo and has taken an interest in them. This happened when a Celestial girl descended to Gensokyo out of boredom. While Shouta was not often bored, he did feel that causing some trouble might be a neat thing to do to have a little fun. And the girl's actions, driven by the use of a sacred artifact of Heaven*, made him notice how amazing playing with the weather might be.

An interesting plan hatched in his mind...

*1: He thinks it belittles his greatness, but can't bring himself to object or shout at a pretty girl who says it. He's surprisingly bashful about it.

*2: Shouta wishes it were correct all the time - he fears people might doubt his absolute power if the statue doesn't predict things 100% accurately. He's been meaning to talk to his friend about it.

*3: Childish and Immature. As far as dragons go, he's actually very young.

*4: Really, he's just happy to have worshippers, and wouldn't want to go overboard and accidentally destroy a bunch of them.

*5: The Four Celestial Beasts - Seiryuu, a lesser, Azure Dragon, Byakko, a White Tiger, Suzaku, a Vermilion Phoenix, and Genbu, a Black Snake and Tortoise. These four are his loyal servants who control the seasons and elements.

*6: The Sword of Hisou

________________________________________________________________________________

A profile I made for him. If you guys don't like it, eh.

Incidentally, if it were made into a whole game, the Four Beasts and his Kappa Friend could all be other bosses. But I don't think we're going that far.

EDIT: Hm. Garlyle's is good too~
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:47:26 PM by Reimu Hakuraeon »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
(Profile)
Huh, we posted that like a second apart from one another XD

...And two completely different takes on the character... one minor, ZUN-style accompaniment text, and not implicating him in anything; the other placing his as a major antagonist and in Perfect Memento style...

Clearly this is not a case of great minds thinking alike at all XD Though, I really like them both...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:49:00 PM by Garlyle »

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
=P Yeah, I like your take on it too, though.

We'll just have to see who likes which better.

Kuma

• Charismatic grizzly bear
  • 熊 熊 熊
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 06:52:04 PM »
So is the Crisis Brohous errywhere,  Floods all up in dis bitch, or Weather going crazy again?
Wotters gonna' wot

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
Well, if it was an actual game and based off my profiles, I'd say the Celestail Beasts, under order from Shouta, are all making extreme versions of the seasons, happening in different spots in Gensokyo - Dead Autumn one place, freezing winter another, burning summer, and overgrown spring. And Shouta is constantly revolving these seasons around.

But that's just a basic idea from me.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »
So, is this supposed to be a single stage project with a suitably epic boss battle, or do you really plan on making a complete game with 7 stages and everything? Because I doubt the latter will get finished, considering all the work it twould entail if it shall have at least a decent quality.  :/

On another note, I think Reimu's DG is a little too similar to Tenshi. Also, dragging the four beasts into this all seems a little... well, I don't know, I don't think the way they and their relationship with the DG are fitting.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
Yeah, it was somewhat thrown together near the end there to give it a game-ish feel.

We can happily ignore that, though, since I'm pretty sure all we care about is Shouta here, and thus, a single stage is more suitable. That weather idea was simply a flimsy means of giving some sort of incentive for a game, in case anyone here wanted to bother with that. Which I doubt.

In any case, the profile I made is mostly for establishing background info, so including the Celestial Beasts is still overall unnecessary.

atoms2ashes

• I am lame, and I shall not be forced to become otherwise.
  • Fresco makes everything better.
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
Aww...And here I thought that a Shotahou game was slowly in the works...

Oh well...We could always have a playable Buddhist Priest In Training sometime in 2013.

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 08:41:12 AM »
Interesting project here, I'll keep an eye on this and I hope I can contribute to this somehow!

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 08:45:43 AM »
I wonder if someone could do ZUNart of him.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
I wonder if someone could do ZUNart of him.
I could try, although I've never really drawn in Zun's style before.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »
In that case I'd advise you to firstly flesh out the character more so that you can stuff his design with tons of subtle references, like ZUN does with his characters. The same will count for the eventual spell cards, obviously.

Of course, this also requires reading up a little on dragons in eastern mytholody and shintoism, especially tales of specific dragon entities one can very lossely base the character on. The dragon of the pheonix/turtle/tiger/dragen quartet could be a starting point to read up on...

Montblanc

• And I'll Spin in it~
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
Well, if we went with the Huang Long, it would certainly be appropriate for the Celestial Beast Quartet, and those could be incorporated into his Spell Cards. He could also wear something - I did forget that sash in my drawing - with the Kanji for the Four Seasons. Dragons also have an association with rainbows, which is why I drew him with 7 Colors on him.

He has no wings - Eastern dragons never have wings. They are long and serpentine, with legs, horns, and whiskers. I gave him a pair of those coming out of his head next to his horns.

Of course, if he is really to be Koryu (the Japanese name for Huang Long), then he would be a Golden Dragon (meaning those whiskers need to change color), and technically isn't supposed to have horns. But Akyu does say the Dragon has horns, so maybe it's a rule we can overlook.

However, it is more likely that he is not associated with the beasts at all. Akyu describes the sky darkening and raining, and waters rising up to flood levels when he appeared for the first time - this would most likely mean he is of the variety of Japanese Dragons that presides over Sea and Rain. Most likely Ryujin, as many have speculated.

So, we could ignore a couple of rules and make him the Koryu, for the sake of absolute power, celestial beast references, and power over the seasons, or we could make him the Ryujin and give him power over the sea and an aquatic theme.

Either way though, he would still be associated with rainbows, and his core attitude and character can remain in tact.

Sriggle

• Drop the pills!
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
Hmm. For some reason, he reminds me of Rin. I think this feels like a very good idea, and I'd love to see it happen-I liked both of the profiles, and the art is cute.

Here, tried drawin ZUN-style Shota:
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4236/kyun.jpg

It would be cool if Rin were a playable character. XD Anyways, chee-cheer-cheering you on with this project! ^0^
Japanese progress: To the point where I can read a manga with the help of an electronic dictionary.