Author Topic: So, you guys remember that one 3d Reimu VS Utsuho video?  (Read 9947 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
Re: So, you guys remember that one 3d Reimu VS Utsuho video?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
I don't think this was posted here yet, so...

Please endulge yourselves in the awesomeness, will you?

Too slow.  8)

Edit: Agreed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:48:45 AM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

nintendonut888

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:48:15 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF damn. :( Aw well, it's so awesome it deserves its own thread. :P
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »
Well, shatter my hopes, why dontcha? I thought you meant part 2 was out.

Bananamatic

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:33 PM »
Well, shatter my hopes, why dontcha? I thought you meant part 2 was out.
yeah, I'm really curious about Ten Evil Stars and if Reimu will safespot it or not :V

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
I never expected they'd even implement voices! Though, did they have actual VA's voice Reimu and Okuu here, or were it sound clips from games? Utsuho's scream when she gets hit with Reimu's giant amulets sounds familiar.....

Best moments:
- Utsuho turning her Third Leg in a Nanoha style cannon, with caution signs and all.
- Reimu reappearing with Kamen Rider-esque scarf.
- Reimu running along the walls while everything is exploding.
- Utsuho casually catching the remains of her Third Leg, ready to fight again.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
I always tought the third leg was like, bound to her arm, not a detachable thing....

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
I always tought the third leg was like, bound to her arm, not a detachable thing....

Well, she didn't remove it herself. It got blasted off afterall. Maybe it's not supposed to be detachable, but the arm could still work properly if it got blasted off.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
Makes sense. But it should probably hurt a lot to get a thing like that ripped off your arm.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »
Holy crap that vid's awesome. I like how you can even tell that's ReimuA fighting, what with her gapping next to Utsuho. I already can't wait for Part 2.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »
It's nothing short of amazing. Now I long for 3D danmaku action, knowing it'll probably never happen.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
At least it's 3D. I mean, I kinda wondered how the patterns will go from a flat 2D plane to a wide 3D stage.

Definite Awesome. Thanks for showing the vid :3 *is also late seeing the complete one, too :V*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:05:16 PM by Lloyd Dunamis »
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

Revolver Koala

• The Bidness
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
Hey, it's a rendered version of what I was hoping the fanime would be like

This makes me for rizzle want to learn how to do this
"Miss Izayoi, thank you for coming to your performance review."
"No problem."
"So you're in charge around here, is that fair to say?"
"Absolutely. I'm the boss."

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
Brain exploded.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 04:27:36 AM »
Well, she didn't remove it herself. It got blasted off afterall. Maybe it's not supposed to be detachable, but the arm could still work properly if it got blasted off.
I had the same question running over my head~

Until...
Spoiler:
ReimuB's SA Ending got my answers aswered~

ebarrett

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 05:48:08 AM »
I still think a well-done old-school animation trumps any "3D" gimmickry. Just saying.

nintendonut888

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 06:09:57 AM »
I still think a well-done old-school animation trumps any "3D" gimmickry. Just saying.

I've never understood why that video is so widely acclaimed. It has a nostalgic charm to it, but it is hardly representative of how a fight works out in-game like people claim it does.

ebarrett

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 06:37:19 AM »
it is hardly representative of how a fight works out in-game like people claim it does
Well, it's not attempting to be "representative" of an in-game fight. It's just very good. If people claim that it is representative of whatever they claim it is, well, it was probably the 90% of the "fanbase" who has never played the games.

The Okuu video tries hard, but taking the actual spellcards as a script, and in 3D on top of that, are freakin' huge limitations. I admire the amount of effort put into it, and I think the result is the best possible given said limitations, but the whole thing was simply doomed from the beginning to be no more than a gimmick, no matter how well pulled off. Sure, the breakneck speed and the booms and the whoooos and the smirks and the shout-outs and the whatevers might appeal to some, but meh, that won't convince me. Epic != good.

*ducks preemptively and waits for Spell Card: Omnidirectional Barrage of Hate*

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
I admire the amount of effort put into it, and I think the result is the best possible given said limitations, but the whole thing was simply doomed from the beginning to be no more than a gimmick, no matter how well pulled off. Sure, the breakneck speed and the booms and the whoooos and the smirks and the shout-outs and the whatevers might appeal to some, but meh, that won't convince me. Epic != good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
Well ... okay, then, how is it bad, exactly?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »
There was another video where the characters were 3D but the danmaku was 2.5D (or w/e it is named). It looked more appealing than this. ( Forgot name )

This just seemed bit weird. Neverless, generally props for the effort from the author.

Kinzo the Astro Curious

• One small step for Desu; One giant leap for touhou-kind!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
I really liked it, but my only criticism is the cannon one seemed to end up the same attack as was done earlier? lol

mind you, i still haven't reached her yet, so... yeeeaah... hard to give much opinion lol.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:12 PM »
I really liked it, but my only criticism is the cannon one seemed to end up the same attack as was done earlier? lol

mind you, i still haven't reached her yet, so... yeeeaah... hard to give much opinion lol.
You don't need to have reached her. Just find a video of someone who has, or ask around.

The first spell is Atomic Fire "Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction", and the second is Explosion Sign "Peta Flare". They behave very differently.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 04:08:23 AM »
Apparently, this is *Special Edition*.
Spoiler:
This is the second one!

It's got sound effects now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgLX5cJVNE
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm9480964

Once you hear those klaxons roar, you better get moving! Oh no!
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »
The Okuu video tries hard, but taking the actual spellcards as a script, and in 3D on top of that, are freakin' huge limitations. I admire the amount of effort put into it, and I think the result is the best possible given said limitations, but the whole thing was simply doomed from the beginning to be no more than a gimmick, no matter how well pulled off. Sure, the breakneck speed and the booms and the whoooos and the smirks and the shout-outs and the whatevers might appeal to some, but meh, that won't convince me. Epic != good.

It may be the fact that I have never liked anime and found most 2D animation to be way too stiff and lacking except in high-budget movies that themselves use computer aided designing to get fluidity into what they're doing to a degree, I have to disagree with you on this.  The prior video posted showing Marisa and Reimu was just them sitting there with a few minor exchanges without much movement.  At least with Youmu there was more going on but likewise it felt rather plain and somewhat boring to watch.  Perhaps what I like about 3D is something that cannot be done with 2D is frame by frame interpolation that grants fluidity.

Now even having said that, I think that the 3D fight was lacking in that area a bit as well.  There was a huge focus on large amounts of static danmaku that moves without any real animation and a few glimpses of them making very small gestures outside of preparing for an attack.  Similar to the 2D only with more fluidity between it.  That's just me though.

ebarrett

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
words
Well, I don't like anime either, but I like westerns. There you go. If you can't tell that the 3D one is the stiff one and the 2D one is dynamic one, too bad, because it's right in everyone's face. As Stravinsky, Duke Ellington and Miles Davis said a million times: the importance of pacing, which involves knowing when to not do anything.

Of course, this all might as well be greek to the ADD generation.  :V

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
Well, I don't like anime either, but I like westerns. There you go. If you can't tell that the 3D one is the stiff one and the 2D one is dynamic one, too bad, because it's right in everyone's face. As Stravinsky, Duke Ellington and Miles Davis said a million times: the importance of pacing, which involves knowing when to not do anything.

Of course, this all might as well be greek to the ADD generation.  :V

If I can't tell it's stiff?  I was kind of sure I said something akin to 'a few glimpses of them making small gestures outside of attacks' and fluidity can be stiff.  If that doesn't make sense to you my apologies.

And in saying "the importance of pacing, knowing when to not do anything" etc part is purely personal preference.  Are you saying that someone who prefers smaller pauses, longer action with less 'flair' is wrong?  What about someone who likes exceptionally long pauses that can take upwards of 15 seconds of "flowing cape in the wind" moments before they so much as retract into a "ready" stance where they wait another 10 seconds before doing more?  Though I cannot recall it directly offhand there are ancient poems or plays with large deliberate blank spots to which the audience is to close their minds and simply focus on the emptiness.

So, then, the 2D one is dynamic?  They use a lot of common animation techniques to look like more is going on while not having to do as much.  Common in all animation, 2D or 3D.  But watching the camera pan while the same 5 frames of animation play for several seconds and then a zoom in while the same play again or the screen shaking while barely anything of note happens as far as the animation doesn't strike me as being very dynamic at all.  Just simple animation in 2D with exaggerated, artfully distractive pauses.

Also, I am not a big fan of western animation either...

Maybe I just don't like "animation" in general.

ebarrett

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 10:49:53 PM »
more words

Obviously we don't agree on pretty much anything, but either way, I didn't want to bring this to the brink of a fistfight. I apologize if I offended you in any way, but you did resurrect the topic after all.

And when I said "westerns" I meant westerns, not western animation.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:14:18 PM »
Obviously we don't agree on pretty much anything, but either way, I didn't want to bring this to the brink of a fistfight. I apologize if I offended you in any way, but you did resurrect the topic after all.

And when I said "westerns" I meant westerns, not western animation.

Oooo! Westerns!  Now, do you like the more grizzled, tough manly westerns, or is there a place in your heart for spaghetti westerns in there?

Also "brink of a fistfight"?  Why is it I can never debate something with another person without them thinking I am offended, angry, upset, trying to stir a fight, or backing out with a "I don't want trouble!" or "Arguing is bad, mmkay!" kind of statement? :(

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
Because of how hard it is for 2 people in front of each other to keep arguments civil, let alone on the internet.