Author Topic: Let's Play MechWarrior 2, where shutdowns are overridden and wars are fought!  (Read 6845 times)

SpeedySPCFan

• We are all controlled by something greater... MEMES!
  • Game reviewer or something.
INDEX:

Intro/Jade Falcon Mission 1 - This post!
Jade Falcon Mission 2 & 3
Jade Falcon Mission 4 & 5 (Trial 1)
Jade Falcon Mission 6
Jade Falcon Mission 7
Jade Falcon Mission 8

BattleTech is one of the few universes I can say I know too much about. The way that it's structured and the numerous novels and adaptions of it much like Warhammer 40K peak my curiosity, and how I got into all of this was thanks to MechWarrior. When I was younger, I had only played the MechWarrior 4 games, but with the amazing technology of DOSBox, I've managed to play the older games. I may or may not have also built a Windows 98 computer and installed all of the Mech2 games on it but that's not relevant for now. :V

Which leads us here, with MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, a successful DOS mech simulator based in the Battletech universe with priase for its gameplay, the impressive graphics for the time, and the fantastic soundtrack. I've played this game before and I love it, so I decided, why not make an LP of it? As a note, if you want to play the game, make sure you know exactly what version you're buying and do not buy any version that isn't "IBM-CD ROM" or "DOS/Windows." Versions like "ATI 3D Rage" and "Pentium edition" do not work on new system. Don't end up like me and my two copies of Pentium Edition by accident.

Anyway, time to begin. If you wanna watch a Timber Wolf/Mad Cat get wrecked, then you can watch the surprisingly great intro here. Otherwise, let us begin!

And so we begin the game with either a choice of "Clan Jade Falcon" or "Clan Wolf." I'm going with Jade Falcon for now, but we'll get to Wolf later, trust me.

We get an intro when we pick Falcon. It's pretty much them talking about how they need to take back what they deserve, which is the bloodline of a famous warrior. Yes, they started a war because they thought they deserved the bloodline. I won't spoil the ending of the game but that war wasn't worth it.

And now we get the user screen with a midi that's not too shabby and a bunch of free player slots. I've beaten this game before under the name "SPEEDY," so we'll play as "MARISA" this time. Because this is a Touhou forum, so why not?

Behold, the Jade Falcon's lobby! We can go to the tutorials, which we don't need, read up on some lore, or go to the mission screen. We'll do the last of those.

And bam, mission screen. We have our 'mech all set up and ready to go already, so we just need to start the mission... after reading some lore.

I'm going to be posting all of these text boxes in here because they're worth reading. They provide much needed backstory and add story elements to a game that would have otherwise been storyless.

For the record, we're using the Mad Dog on this mission with a set up I made. You have all the mechs and weapons from the beginning, but you're limited as to what you can use with a tonnage/weight restriction. You can go below the restriction if you wish for the sake of getting some more points, but said points are useless aside from getting a high score. Which is pointless. Anyway, you'll be seeing me use the same weapons as on this Mad Dog for most of the missions as they're simply the best.

This is a good time to explain the customization, actually. You're allowed to modify every component on a mech down to the engine and armor type, though it's pointless to mess with anything except Jump Jets and Weapons. Jump Jets are helpful when you can strap them on, though it's not necessary, and you only need to play around with Weapons in order to get a setup consisting of LRM20s (Long Range Missile 20) which fires 20 missiles, Medium Pulse Lasers because they do good damage at a high rate, and Medium Lasers because they're great for pretty much anything. The customization would be far improved in MechWarrior 4, but we're not playing that right now so we'll just have to deal with the disappointing setup.

With our objectives and briefing in mind, let us set sail! The track for this level is Silent Thunder/Rust Heart. The names don't have any deep meaning, they're simply titled after the missions they're on. Probably one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack though, it's very well done. They were all composed by a guy named Jeehun Hwang, who sadly didn't do much outside of his work for Activision in the mid-late 1990s, but I do recommend checking it out. Some games he worked on were Heavy Gear, Quake Mission Pack I & II, and Battlezone 1998.

So yeah, this game looks pretty primitive since it was one of the earlier true 3D games out there. But, it's not too bad and it sure plays and sounds good enough to make up for that. The game would also look a bit better if I wasn't scaling a higher resolution down to a lower one, but there's a pretty weird glitch where, if the game runs too fast (which lower resolutions cause), missiles literally implode on you as they come out of your mech. So, losing an arm ain't fun.

It only takes a moment for a helicopter to start flying at us. Eat missiles!

Helicopter down. Proceeding forward...

I turned Wireframe Mode on because it's actually quite practical. You can see enemy health and hitboxes with it. Anyways, we get our first 'mech to fight now, a light one named the Kitfox. We promptly give it a ton of missiles.

You don't need that mech, right?

Bah, another Kitfox?! Ah well, two sets of Long Range Missiles and a few lasers later, that pilot is surely gonna have a bad day.

Our first objective of the mission can now be completed: destory the Hyper Pulse Generator, a communication system. Looks quite nice in action, it would be a shame if someone blew it up... :D

Computer: "Primary Objective: Destroy HPG Uplink... successful!"

oops I blew it up :^) - Also, we get a computer in our Mechs. It'll inform us if we complete an objective or do a certain thing in our mech, like activate grouped weapon firing or enable autopilot.

These things ahead are needed to get the Tertiary Objective completed, though frankly those things are far too time consuming to finish so I'm not gonna bother.

They got two turrets near this array. Soon, there'll be none! And there won't even be an array!

Computer: "Primary Objective: Destory Communications Array at Nav Beta... successful! Proceed to dustoff zone for extraction. Enemy powerup... detected!"

This is a Kitfox.

Computer: "Secondary Objective successful!"

This is a Kitfox after missiles. Don't do missiles, kids.

And now, we make a run for the dropship so we can return to base and get congratulated n' stuff. Third person picture of the Mad Dog because why not?

Aww yeah, the Keshik is pleased with my actions! Onto the next mission. There's a bit of text that tells the aftermath of the battle but I forgot to screenshot it, oops. That ends the first part though, next post we'll tackle the second and possibly third mission.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:19:28 PM by SpeedySPCFan »
"Here, with the Strana Mechty wolf, we see what may be the epitome of a warrior, cunning matched with instinct and stealth, joyned with a final, terrifying attack. For this mighty creature, I name you. You are Clan Wolf." - Nicholas Kerensky (quote from BattleTech fiction)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Never really got into the MechWarrior series, despite being a fan of the Earthsiege games. Also, is that "enemy powerup" thing your cue to get the hell outta dodge?

SpeedySPCFan

Never really got into the MechWarrior series, despite being a fan of the Earthsiege games. Also, is that "enemy powerup" thing your cue to get the hell outta dodge?

I own all of the Earthsiege games and I liked Starsiege quite a lot, as for the others, good god they're tough. I'll finish them sometime but they're waaay harder than I was expecting them to be.

Depends. If the mech that's powering up is something like a Light mech then it's not something to worry about but if it's an assault mech then it's best to drop whatever you're doing and destroy it since they're usually loaded with guns that can destory any part of you in a few seconds.
"Here, with the Strana Mechty wolf, we see what may be the epitome of a warrior, cunning matched with instinct and stealth, joyned with a final, terrifying attack. For this mighty creature, I name you. You are Clan Wolf." - Nicholas Kerensky (quote from BattleTech fiction)

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
Ah Mechwarrior 2.  Many fond memories of this.  And of the Battletech universe in general really.

Imagining the damage Marisa would cause in any clan, much less the Jade Falcons is hilarious as well.

For the record, we're using the Mad Dog on this mission with a set up I made. You have all the mechs and weapons from the beginning, but you're limited as to what you can use with a tonnage/weight restriction. You can go below the restriction if you wish for the sake of getting some more points, but said points are useless aside from getting a high score.
There's also hitbox and torsotwist to consider!

Also Marisa's mech needs more laser.  Or PPC.  (Yeah I know.  Not a great plan, especially in 60 ton range.)

SpeedySPCFan

Ah Mechwarrior 2.  Many fond memories of this.  And of the Battletech universe in general really.

Imagining the damage Marisa would cause in any clan, much less the Jade Falcons is hilarious as well.
There's also hitbox and torsotwist to consider!

Also Marisa's mech needs more laser.  Or PPC.  (Yeah I know.  Not a great plan, especially in 60 ton range.)

Most of the mechs I've used in the game have a full 180 torso twist, so eh, I'm not too concerned over that.  The hitboxes aren't that big of a deal in this game either because there's not more than 1-3 mechs in each weight class. I know they were in Mercenaries though because Mercenaries had waaaay too many mechs that were all the same thing except for their hitbox.

I'll use the PPCs once I get past the 75 tonnage mark. They're fun to use, but anything 75 and under then you're better off shoving a bunch of Medium Pulse Lasers/Medium Lasers on the mech.

----

Now that we're done with the first mission and debriefing, we're thrust back into the mission room.

Since we have enough max tonnage for this, we're gonna go with the Timber Wolf for this mission. In terms of design, it's my personal favorite mech.

Kappa.

After that bit of backstory, it's time to destroy some mechs and defend a plant!

The track for this level is Arkham Bridge. Not a leaked title for a new Batman Arkham game, I swear.

Computer: Planet Sudeten, ambient temperature... 35.76 degrees. Local time is... 02:22:53 GST. All systems nominal.

Despite this cluster of... mountains, I guess? Looking confusing and ugly, we'll get an actual path to go down in a moment.

There we go, a path. Going down, we find something dastardly happening...

There's a town being attacked with... Kitfoxes. I'm piloting freaking Timber Wolves and Mad Dogs and all these guys can send out are Kitfoxes?

A bit of closing in, two volleys of missiles and a few lasers later they're down a Kitfox.

And now we have our first medium mech of the game, the Stormcrow.

Computer: Heat level critical, shutdown imminent. Shutdown overridden.

After a bit of Medium Pulse Laser-ing, the Mech has lost an arm and quite a bit of hull integrity. At the cost of that though, we've overheated. I override it since we need to keep moving on before the Kitfoxes reach the Industrial Plant and blow it to shreds.

Thank goodness we didn't shut down. Some seconds later, we got cool enough for some LRMs and Medium Lasers to be shot at it, sapping away whatever health it might have had left.

Now for the Kitfoxes. Eat missiles, ya darn light mechs!

I think I might have made him mad.

Even if I mad him mad, I was able to destroy him and his partner in crime. A job well done.

Computer: Primary Objective: Destroy Enemy Mech Units... successful! Primary Objective: Defend Industrial Plant... successful! Proceed to dust off site for extraction.

Well, it was well done until this guy showed up. But he's blow into scrap now.

With our objectives finished, we make a triumphant run to Nav Lambda for extraction.

Yeah, we did it! Time for some more reading.

And now we move onto the third mission of the Jade Falcon campaign, Mirror Cage. It's an easy but strangely long mission because of how much damage the Wolf dropship takes before finally giving up.

Our weight is a bit more restrictive this mission, so we'll have to stick with a Summoner. This one has more Pulse Lasers than Medium Lasers but it still does quite well. Time to start!

Computer: Planet Zoetermeer, ambient temperature... 34.68 degrees. Local time is... 23:24:20 GST. All systems nominal.

And so we begin Mirror Cage, one of the more action packed missions early in the campaign. For a majority of it, we'll have to blow up quite a few mechs, mostly light but we also get a medium.

Computer: Enemy powerup... detected! Enemy powerup... detected!

Two light mechs, a Jenner and a Kitfox. Nothing major.

With the power of missiles, shooting the legs repeatedly, and lasers, we take down the Kitfox!

There was also a Firemoth here but as you can see, he got blown up. The Firemoth is an incredibly weak Mech but it has insane speeds if the player can use it right. Someone played the entire game with ONLY the Firemoth unless forced not to, it's crazy.

Now they're down to a Jenner and a Stormcrow. I'll take em on!

Computer: Heat level critical, shutdown sequence initiated. Shutdown sequence overridden.

Uh oh.

Computer: Heat level critical! Mission failed.

If you get too greedy with trying to damage enemies after overridding a shutdown, then you can cause your reactor to detonate. Whoops.

After resetting the mission, I changed my mech configuration a bit. I got more heatsinks and I put lasers in my legs. You can take out my arms, you can take out my torso, but at least I'll still have my inexplicably accurate leg lasers!

Now that we're back here, lets try this again.

Oh yes.

Computer: Secondary objective: Destroy All Enemy Mech Units... successful!

Some Jenner that pops up earlier in the level. He's toast now.

So here's what we were fighting to destroy: a Clan Wolf dropship. It doesn't try to defend it self, but it sure does take a lot of damage.

Computer: Primary Objective: Destroy Enemy Dropship Bannockburn... successful! Proceed to dust off zone for extraction.

And with that, we're done here.

We did well! So well that we're about to approach a Trial of Position in the game. We'll see more about that later when it comes into play, however.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:19:42 PM by SpeedySPCFan »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
So, I have to ask, what's happened to Earth by this point in the BT canon?

SpeedySPCFan

So, I have to ask, what's happened to Earth by this point in the BT canon?

It still exists, though it's mostly referred to as Terra, and it's part of the Inner Sphere.

---

Time for the next mission, Bone Machine! Our weight is even more restricted than last time so we'll have to stick with the Mad Dog for now.

Well, that's a bit less lore than usual. The track for this mission is Bone Machine, and it's definitely one of the tracks that captures the more atmospheric elements of the game.

Computer: Planet... Baker 3. Ambient temperature... negative 34.54 degrees. Local time is... 11:43:43 GST. All systems nominal.

Welcome to Baker 3, a freezing planet that just so happens to have a Jade Falcon base on it.

We've only been in this place for a few seconds and there's ALREADY a mech to destroy, and it's a medium. Well, dang, they're stepping up their game!

Those powerups CAN'T be good, but at least we got most of the Hellbringer taken out?

Ah, that's better... there's no enemies north of the Hellbringer so we might as well haul ourselves back over to Base/Nav Gamma.

It appears that was the right choice, they have Nova's heading for us!

What.

Computer: Emergency shutdown overridden.

Thankfully, the Summoner died pretty fast from some missiles, along with a Nova. Now for the rest of these guys...

Screw your legs! And your torso (not pictured)!

There were some more light mechs in the distance. One of the novas got stuck in a wall, so while he gets himself corrected, I'll just deal with these guys.

There goes both of 'em.

It seems the Nova has corrected himself. Time for explosions!

Computer: Friendly reinforcements on route. Radar detects dropship enroute. Primary objective: defend firebase... successful!

And with that, we have finished the first four missions of the game and now get to return to the fire base.

Mission... not so successful. We might have won, but...

...war has started to rear it's ugly face in with 98% mech losses on the Jade Falcon's part. Sure, the Wolves *might* have lost more pilots, but that's still a pretty heavy loss on the Falcon's part. Next mission time.

A trial, eh?

Yes, a Trial. It might seem a bit complex at first glance but what this comes down to is defeating a set of enemies to earn a rank. After that, we can quit with our new rank or go for another rank. If you go for another rank, you get another group of enemies to fight. If you win, you get the new rank. Simple, right? I should point out there's nothing on the "SITUATION" menu for any of these, so there's no reason to bother looking at them. With that out of the way, it's time for the trials! The track for this mission is Jade Falcon Trial.

Computer: Trial initiated... Jade Falcon protocol. All systems nominal.

And so it begins. We can shoot that orb up there to initate the second phase right now, or we can start it later. There's no reason to do it now but I accidentally shot it anyways. Oops.

Our first enemy is a Hellbringer. We're in a Stormcrow, so this won't be too bad.

Only took a moment, but he's down now thanks to the power of Large Lasers. And now, we get a glimpse at our second opponent...

...a Timberwolf!

Computer: Enemy mech destroyed. Trial phase 2 successful. Second rank acquired. Mission successful.

Only took a moment, but we got him. And with that, we're outta here! The mission ends without having to go to any dropship or repair bay.

Oddly enough, we're given an underweight bonus despite not being allowed to choose our own mech. Regardless, that ends this part of the playthrough. With our new found title, we gain absolutely nothing in the game and are still limited to 60 tons for the next mission! Yaaay.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:04:40 PM by SpeedySPCFan »

SpeedySPCFan

Taking Iced Fairy's suggestion, I've decided to try and put more energy weapons on this mech, despite it only being a 60 tonner.

Simple enough of a mission, just blow up a bunch of mechs.

Enough lore for now, lets begin the mission! The track here is Bouk Obelisk.

Computer: Satellite: MacDuff. Ambient temperature... negative 127.33 degrees. Atmosphere... hostile. Local time is 15:53:12 GST. All systems nominal.

And so we begin our auto-piloting adventure through a series of nav points. Thankfully, the trip isn't too boring as the environment has a nice backdrop, similar to a sunset.

Computer: Incoming message: friendly unit reports navigational trouble. Mech stranded at Nav Upsilon. Please assist friendly unit.

This couldn't be a trap at all, right? Ah well, lets set course for Upsilon.

We're getting rather close to it and nothing has happened. Maybe it really was a friendly unit?

Computer: Enemy powerup detected. Incoming message... friendly damaged unit reports situation to be a trap. Multiple hostile units detected within the perimiter.

Well, there sure was a friendly unit here, but also a multitude of unfriendly units.

Four PPCs landed a hit on this thing and it's only lost part of its leg integrity?! NEEDS MORE LASER DAKKA.

Dakka achieved.

Computer: Friendly unit heading to Isotope Processor.

Man, these PPCs aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Doesn't matter, the Medium Lasers have us covered!

We've managed to wipe out everything except this Firemoth. That should change soon.

Oh no.

Thankfully, it was just a Nova and a Rifleman.

Computer: Area secure. Primary objective: destroy enemy units... successful!

And with that, we skedaddle on out of here back to base.
And now they're all piles of scrap.

Not bad. Because I made this part late at night a day or two ago, I forgot to show the aftermath page.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
Picked a good planet to do that on.  I'm pretty sure temperature helped with heat even way back in MW2.

I forgot how silly single legged mechs become.  Though now that I remember, I also remember using jumpjets on a mission to get my one legged Nova back to base.  That took a while...

SpeedySPCFan

Picked a good planet to do that on.  I'm pretty sure temperature helped with heat even way back in MW2.

I forgot how silly single legged mechs become.  Though now that I remember, I also remember using jumpjets on a mission to get my one legged Nova back to base.  That took a while...

I believe it does, though not as much as in MechWarrior 3 where environments would cause drastic differences in heat, and you could interact with bodies of water to cool yourself off. Just one of the many reasons Mech3 is a better game, it's pretty much a heavily expanded MechWarrior 2, and with the addition of widescreen patching and dedicated fans modding it hopefully we'll see better Windows 7/8/10 compatibility. though honestly even if it's kind of glitchy even with patches if you like mw2 you really should play it, it's awesome, esp. with widescreen

Oh jeez, I don't even know how you'd do that. I tried it once in MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries and uh... lets just say I restarted the mission after a while. :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:50:21 AM by SpeedySPCFan »

SpeedySPCFan

This LP ain't dead, I've just been working on videos recently.

--

And so begins our new mission with the mechlab. Since we have 75 tons this time around, we're going for the Timber Wolf (best mech) again!

We're allowed to bring along a teammate for this one, so we'll take a Timber Wolf with us. For whatever reason, you can't make configurations if you're selecting a teammates mech, though you can select ones you've already made.

Briefing time! The mission this time is Umber Wall, probably the first truly challenging mission in the game, which there aren't many of. Mech2 is a surprisingly easy game, especially compared to other mech games at the time and later games in the series.

That's enough lore for now. It's time for the mission! The track here is Umber Wall and it's a darn good one. Strangely enough, it's Track 1 (Track 2 if you count the data track/game track as a track) on the disk but doesn't play until Mission 7.

Computer: Planet: Evciler. Ambient temperature... 87.24 degrees. Local time is 12:24:26 GST. All systems nominal.

NEEDS EVEN MORE ORANGE

Immediately beginning the mission, we're assaulted by some Gunships. They're no match for missiles and lasers however!

And here's what we get to defend for the next few minutes.

Oh goodie, even more gunships!

Now they're all dead gunships.

Now we get to enjoy running all the way back to the Hover Train.

Computer: Enemy powerup... detected!

Finally, some mech action!

Computer: Point two attacking your target.

I order my squadmate to help out with this one because why not?

It appears it was completely pointless to do that because two salvos of LRM20s put it down.

We've caught up with the hover train, yay!

And here's our first encounter with an assault mech in the game! The best way to deal with them without also being in an assault mech is to shoot their legs off as they can tank damage on their torso.

I turn around the corner and HE'S COMING STRAIGHT AT ME OH NO

You don't scare me!

As a result of forgetting to override the shutdown, I end up shutting down due to overheating. :<

Computer: Critical item: hover train... destroyed! Mission failed!
Screw you guys. :/

One mission replay later...

Computer: Critical item: Hover Train has reached processing unit! Sensors indicate friendly incoming dropship Bastille. Secondary objective successful! Proceed to dustoff site for extraction.

We've done it, even though we're still engaged in combat! This guy went down pretty fast though.

And with everything said and done, we now make are way towards Nav Pi for extraction.

Even though we saved the Hover Train, the bad luck of the Jade Falcons once again becomes present because they lost a bunch of mechs due to an accident. They just can't seem to win.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:21:26 PM by SpeedySPCFan »

SpeedySPCFan

Time for the next mission! Our weight limitation is once again down below the level needed for a Timber Wolf so we'll take a Hellbringer with us.

Ever dreamed of running away from a giant heat explosion in a 65 ton war machine? Probably not, but you get to do it anyways with this mission.

Now that we're done with the situation, it's time for the mission it self! The track here is Rogue Chariot/Bronze Anvil.

Computer: Planet: Twycross. Ambient Temperature... 69.56 degrees. Local time is: 09:34:54 GST. All systems nominal.

Starting the mission off, all we have to deal with is two Kitfoxes so far. Not bad. Somehow, though, I'm in a Mad Dog, not a Hellbringer. It's armed with both Large and Medium Pulse lasers though, and two LRMs, so I'm confident we'll be fine.

See? Everything is fine!

This LOOKS like an APC but it's actually a tank. :|

Well, it looks like a pile of firey scrap metal now. There isn't much interesting happening in this mission for a while, so we'll cut ahead.

A stormcrow and a hellbringer, not bad.

OH GOD THEY HAVE PPCS!

NO, STAY AWAY!

Another mech?! I take back everything I said earlier, this is NOT fine.

halp

Okay, I guess that Mad Dog WASN'T good. Time to retry the mission!

We actually did it this time!

This might just look like a rock formation, but it's a heat sink! I think. Probably? Hopefully.

Computer: Primary Objective successful. Critical meltdown imminent.

EVERYBODY RUN

Computer: Minimum safe distance reached. Warning: temperature spike detected. Brace for shockwave.

My eyes!

We've done it! We died, then came back in a different mech, and escaped a shockwave!

Wait, the Falcons didn't lose but technically win this time? Sweet!

And now we get a trial for the next mission. This is gonna be good.

Iced Fairy

• Daisukima Dan Blog
That was an odd bug (unless it was just you restarting after the mess earlier).

Getting hit by a PPC was always unfun times.  At least you got a pretty reactor explosion for your efforts.