Author Topic: [Solved] My Mountain of Faith disc can't install  (Read 2322 times)

[Solved] My Mountain of Faith disc can't install
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
So I was at the N?rcon 2014 summer convention and bought this Touhou 10: Mountain of Faith disc from a touhou stand with various things. When I got home and tried to install it, it faced me with a wizard full of weird characters. I know it's probably because the original disc is from japan, but I just didn't get the installation to work, and the problem is that I don't have any idea what the error message is actually saying. So I guess I need some special sort of language pack? If anyone knows how to fix this, please help me out.

Here are some pictures of the installer:

[Cancel] [Try Again] [Ignore] I tried clicking all three, they all just cause the same message to show up again.

My system consists of:

Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2
2 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
Direct X 11
Nvidia Quadro FX 1500

If anyone has a similar problem or a solution, please help!

Tagg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:00:34 PM by Helepolis »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: [TROUBLESHOOTING] [HALP ME] My Mountain of Faith disc can't install
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
Try to run the setup of your disc using AppLocal in 日本語 language. That way possible errors will be displayed in correct Japanese. You can then post the error here or use google translate to get some idea in mean while.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »
Alright so I tried the AppLocale thing and here's what I got:

I also tried launching the "th10.exe" file inside the disc in the same way and got this:

I also tried looking for a folder that might have been created during the failed installation but found nothing :/

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
Assuming you can in Vista (and I think you can), run as admin. I believe I've had the same error before and that was my solution. You could also try running in compatibility mode if that doesn't work.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:28 PM »
Trying to run the install files using Applocale usually doesn't work.

You can try switching the computer locale to Japanese.
Or, in this case, just copying the th10 folder to anywhere you want might work.
Signature

Drake

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:27 AM »
You couldn't run the game from the install disc mainly because you don't have write-access and the config file can't be created within the install disc. It just doesn't work. The games themselves should run fine without AppLocale anyway.

You have a few options. One is to go to C:\Windows\AppPatch\AppLoc.exe, right-click and go to Properties -> Compatibility tab -> select Run this program as an administrator, which makes AppLocale run as admin every time you launch it. Running AppLocale as an admin generally solves these compatibility issues, and if you ever have to use AppLocale again you won't have to worry about fixing it again.

Another is to change your system locale to japanese through Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative tab -> Change system locale.

Another is that, as said, you can likely just copy the th10 folder directly to somewhere else. The Touhou installers don't do anything fancy in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:42:31 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »
Try running the installer with Windows XP compatibility mode. Although it does not effect any of my own computers, the filenames could cause an issue on your computer if not correctly named in Japanese. You should use the Windows Vista install CD to install the Japanese locale.

It might be easier just to switch the locale to Japanese when you install the game than to use applocale, because, from what I've heard, applocale has compatibility issues with Windows Vista.

As Drake stated, the game cannot create and modify a .txt config file on the disc itself, because the disc is not writable. Make sure you are logged into the Administrator account when you run setup.

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Drake

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »
XP Compatibility mode isn't often (ever?) found to fix AppLocale issues, using admin privileges is generally what's found to fix things. Being logged into an admin account doesn't work by itself either, because nothing is being run with admin privileges unless prompted to.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:20:28 AM »
The setup worked perfectly when I opened AppLocale with administrator, thanks for the help everyone! The .exe file still requires me to open it with AppLocale, but as AppLocale has the create-a-shortcut function, then that's fine!

Thanks! =D