Author Topic: Scarlet Devil Cravings (In development)  (Read 8450 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Scarlet Devil Cravings (In development)
« on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:38 PM »

This is pretty much an idea for a Touhou fangame that I had the idea for while playing Prinny 2. It was a random thought to come up with a Touhou version of such a game. This idea, however, I based more on the prequel.

Anyway....

What's the Genre?
A Hack-and-Slash Platformer

What's the Plot?
Remilia Scarlet is picky as usual and asks Sakuya to explore Gensokyo and find recipes for new dishes.

What's the Gameplay?
Explore through various Genoskyo locales, like the Hakurei Shrine, to find recipes. Use Sakuya's "time pulse" to freeze enemies to use as platforms. Make your way to the boss and defeat it to earn a new recipe!

Planned Stages
Hakurei Shrine
Forest of Magic
Bamboo Forest
Eientei
Hell of Blazing Fires
Mayohiga
Moriya Shrine
Haguyokoro
Palanquin Ship

Currently, I'm working on the prototype for the game. So I'll just post them here and explain where I plan to go with it thus far.

I don't have a pixel artist, so I'm using filler sprites. Like Marisa's sprite from New Super Marisa Land.

What Are the Prototype Screenshots?

Test level layout. I plan to add more to the interface if possible.

You stomp on enemies to stun them for a while. You will then be able to attack normally to get rid of them, but as this sprite doesn't have an attacking pose, I couldn't implement that just yet.

Reach the end of the level and you'll get to a transporter that carries you to the level's boss.

Like Prinny, you'll need to stun the boss in order to damage it. The skulls show how many times you need to stomp the boss to make them vulnerable.

What Do You Plan To Do Next?
-Dashing
-Checkpoints
-Test cutscene
-Boss attacks
-Boss death
-Enemies that attack

What Are You Looking For?
As you can see, I don't really have a pixel artists so that's what I'm looking for at the moment.  What kind of style? Perhaps something like this:

Welp, that's pretty much it. Thanks for taking the time to check this out. I'll be sure to do my best on this, and if anyone's willing to help out, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:47:27 AM by Savory »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: Scarlet Devil Cravings (In development)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 11:17:58 PM »
Looks simple enough. How are you making the game?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:55:49 AM »
Looks simple enough. How are you making the game?

Game Maker 8.1

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
Hmm if the plot is about new recipes for dishes, I think that it suits best with Yuyuko/Youmu :P BTW you posted photos with Marisa as the player, are you going to change it to Sakuya/Meiling?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Hmm if the plot is about new recipes for dishes, I think that it suits best with Yuyuko/Youmu :P BTW you posted photos with Marisa as the player, are you going to change it to Sakuya/Meiling?

I suppose. But I found it funny to do with Remilia.  Also, I'm only gonna use Sakuya. I wasn't able to come up with a gimmick for Meiling. :( Speaking of which, I have to update the first post.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
(I know I haven't posted anything in a while, but  I just thought I should at least update it after so long.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?8poq7f5dpi536t2

Okay, this is sort of a prototype I have set. Of course I have a LOT more to add.

Hopefully, my next post will have more. However, the placeholder sprites are running out of usefulness. I will appreciate the help of any pixel artist who wants to offer their assistance with this.

Imosa

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
Nice to see this isn't dead. Only issue I found in your demo was that if you went left on the first stage you died off screen. Same thing with the boss stage.

BTW, in my last post, I meant it looks straight forward. Not simple to make or anything like that.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
This will be on hold for a while, as I'm at the point where I will definitely need a pixel artist.

Imosa

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »
This will be on hold for a while, as I'm at the point where I will definitely need a pixel artist.
You can't just use place holders while you look for one? Also no gameplay updates?

TwinGhosts

• Touhou ...Fate stay/night style...
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
Its a nice concept of a fangame, although it?s a shame that you need a pixel artist in order to continue :/ Since i am pretty curious about the gameplay later on!

by the way...If you need any programming assistance give me a yell  :derp:
The awkward moment WHEN Focussing can?t really save you anymore...
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9503/touhoulol.png

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
You can't just use place holders while you look for one? Also no gameplay updates?

I am using placeholders, but they've run out of usefulness. Also, I just finished a summer class on my campus so I haven't had much time to add more to it.

Its a nice concept of a fangame, although it?s a shame that you need a pixel artist in order to continue :/ Since i am pretty curious about the gameplay later on!

Yeah, at the moment, I'm rather distressed because I've had no luck at all in finding a pixel artist to help.

Imosa

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:41:56 AM »
I am using placeholders, but they've run out of usefulness. Also, I just finished a summer class on my campus so I haven't had much time to add more to it.
I don't really see how that's possible. On the code level, aren't your characters just square hit boxes?

On tigsource, you said the game would look awkward if you continued from this point, but that's natural since you don't have your own sprites yet. I don't think anybody want's the game to look good. They just want to see you put a little more work into your own idea before they invest themselves.

What would you need right now (i.e. dimensions +... anything else)? I don't have much experience but I might be able to satisfy your requirements.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 05:15:58 AM »
Right now, just sprite sheets that I can put together animations for.  Send me a note for more details.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
Sorry for lack of updates. Since I'm on the lookout for a pixel artist, I've put the game on hold until I can find one.

In any case, I managed to find and befriend an artist for the game. She's Puripeach on Deviantart. She does a good job emulating the Disgaea style.

Imosa

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »
Her deviantart nor pixiv has anything in the way of pixel art, that's too bad. Am I missing something because her stuff is good she just doesn't seem to have a lot of it. That Sakuya looks really nice too.

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:19 PM »
Check out http://sukebanmochi.deviantart.com/gallery/ for sprites. Their not pixel sprites and aren't animated, but they're really nice.

Imosa

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Check out http://sukebanmochi.deviantart.com/gallery/ for sprites. Their not pixel sprites and aren't animated, but they're really nice.
Actually that stuff does look like pixel art. Pixel art's definition is a little vague but there are some tell tale signs.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 03:43:49 AM »
(Thanks Imosa, for reminded me to update)

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say on the game's progress. Still looking for more pixel artist to try out.

So...yeah.... :ohdear:

Imosa

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 04:27:07 AM »
(Thanks Imosa, for reminded me to update)

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say on the game's progress. Still looking for more pixel artist to try out.

So...yeah.... :ohdear:
That's a pretty disappointing update.
I'm trying really hard to understand why you need these sprites, and although I've never used game maker, I really don't think that sprites should be an issue for you.
You said "I need them so I can set the animations correctly." do you think you could explain what setting the animations entails?

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 05:23:03 AM »
That's a pretty disappointing update.

You're the one that messaged me to update. (=_=)

I'm trying really hard to understand why you need these sprites, and although I've never used game maker, I really don't think that sprites should be an issue for you.

Well, pixel art is necessary for most games. As for what I need to progress I just need practice sprites to work into the game itself.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:04 AM »
As for what I need to progress I just need practice sprites to work into the game itself.
So... I dunno, maybe I'm just not getting what the need is here, but why not just... y'know... do that? :)

All's you need are placeholders unless you're actually done with the entire game and ready to transit into more serious, official graphics. Which I gather is not the case yet. How enemies react to the player, or the stage layout, or the effect of power ups, or the dialog; none of these depend on which image you'll end up using to display them. Why not just use your Marisa sprite for everything for the time being, for instance? If anything it'll let you progress further. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 06:48:47 AM »
Why not just use your Marisa sprite for everything for the time being, for instance? If anything it'll let you progress further. :)

Because it's uses are limited...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 06:50:23 AM by Savory »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »
Because it's uses are limited...
Not really. You just need an image to move forward right now. Even if it's the same image for everything, it still lets you move forward and develop more of the game. You can find a pixel artist afterwards - you don't have to be stuck and unable to proceed, is my point. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Imosa

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »
You're the one that messaged me to update. (=_=)
I'm glad you did. While I may be disappointed in you're update I would have been much more disappointed in a lack of an update. 1 is, in fact, infinitely times greater then 0.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Just want to let everyone know that this project is still ongoing. I managed to get a partner to assist me with programming. We've both made extra plans for the game, such as hidden bosses you can find to gain extra recipes. These extra recipes will unlock a few things once the game is beaten.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
Sakuya: REIMU! Gimme all your food!
Reimu: Nuuuu >:c

Lol, anyways this looks great~ I'm always in a mood for a good hack and slash game! I can't wait until this done! ^_^  It sounds really great (and kinda humorous). Good luck~

P.S. You should totally have Minoriko be one of the bosses C: