Author Topic: Modifying EoSD portraits for each line of dialogue  (Read 4393 times)

Modifying EoSD portraits for each line of dialogue
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
Basically, I've been trying to edit which portrait files in EoSD are displayed for each line for dialogue. I'm pretty sure something in the msg*.dat files controls this, but I'm not sure what - does anyone happen to know what I'd need to change?

I've tried looking through the hex version dumped with th09_msg, as well as the version dumped with thmsg (from the toolkit), but nothing stands out.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
Re: Modifying EoSD portraits for each line of dialogue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:53 AM »
Basically, I've been trying to edit which portrait files in EoSD are displayed for each line for dialogue. I'm pretty sure something in the msg*.dat files controls this, but I'm not sure what - does anyone happen to know what I'd need to change?

I've tried looking through the hex version dumped with th09_msg, as well as the version dumped with thmsg (from the toolkit), but nothing stands out.
You'll need to use thmsg.exe to convert the scripts into something human-readable. Some of the commands in there (all represented as numbers... it shouldn't be too hard to figure out with a bit of experimenting) tell the game to change the portrait currently displayed to a specified ID.

I should note that using th09_msg for Touhou 6 is probably not going to work. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Drake

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 03:44:10 AM »
Ethan: th09_msg was an early tool that could turn the msg files into semi-readable txt files and revert back. It worked for a bunch of games, not just PoFV.

Turboo, if you use thmsg, you can find entries starting with 2, like "2,0,5" and "2,1,1". These control the portraits; 2 designates portrait selection, 0 or 1 designates which character to change, and the last number corresponds to the portrait number.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:46:28 AM »
Ethan: th09_msg was an early tool that could turn the msg files into semi-readable txt files and revert back. It worked for a bunch of games, not just PoFV.
Ahhh, my bad. I assumed the "09" in the name was meant to refer to Touhou 09 specifically. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:38 AM »
Turboo, if you use thmsg, you can find entries starting with 2, like "2,0,5" and "2,1,1". These control the portraits; 2 designates portrait selection, 0 or 1 designates which character to change, and the last number corresponds to the portrait number.
I messed around a bit with these lines, and I got everything to work; thank you!