Author Topic: The Million Graze Counter Man: Ace's Let's Plays  (Read 13587 times)

Re: The Million Graze Counter Man: Ace's Let's Plays
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »
You sure? It worked just fine for PCB and IN when I was using it.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
Fraps doesn't record anything before Mountain of Faith. I use Fraps for everything POST and INCLUDING Mountain of Faith.
Strange, I'm having no problems recording EoSD with Fraps right now, try again, maybe it'll work?
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
Strange, I'm having no problems recording EoSD with Fraps right now, try again, maybe it'll work?

One day it suddenly up and stopped working with those games. I have no idea what happened.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Got a good recording of EoSD Normal with Camtasia Studio, along with commentary so you can hear me get mad at having to play in Windowed mode (Hint: I lose a lot of lives at one point and have a funny stream of three fucking bombs)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:46:48 PM by Ace »

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 11:47:23 PM »

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »
Critic time.

>"I'm bombing before Patchouli".

Yes, you are, and there's nothing wrong with that. I used to bomb the death fairy or the spam all the time. You can usually afford the bombs because three lives are enough for Flandre.

> Moving behind Flanre focused instead of unfocused, dying in the process.

Don't do this.

> Failing Kagome Kagome

You do know how the card works, right? Second bubble on the second and third waves (in each iteration) is aimed.

> Losing cool after deaths.

Now you're just over-exaggerating. Horrible derp death? Get over it and continue playing. By letting yourself lose composure like that you're inviting more deaths and the inevitable rage. Take these deaths as your cue to buckle up and beat the crap out of the rest of the stage (but don't overdo it). Positive thoughts!

> ReimuB and MarisaA.

ReimuB has a worse bomb (MarisaA's lasts a LOT longer) and is slightly less powerful, but the damper in speed lets you do pretty much half of the spells a lot more effectively. (ATWTBN and QED being the big ones, though a lot of other spells require precise movement, like Four of a Kind, Starbow Break and Catadioptric)

I can't stress this enough. If this is how you play all your games, you're constantly setting yourself up for these "rage attacks". Stop letting yourself lose it due to some stupid death. Better yet, limit the amount of stupid deaths by putting a finger over the bomb button when you're not feeling 100% safe. It's not that complicated. You want to get better at this game, badly, don't you? Deteriorating to rage over and over again won't speed up the process.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »
Critic time.

>"I'm bombing before Patchouli".

Yes, you are, and there's nothing wrong with that. I used to bomb the death fairy or the spam all the time. You can usually afford the bombs because three lives are enough for Flandre.

When it comes to playing in windowed mode, I hate making it to Flandre with three lives or less but I'll try to stop freaking out over dying before Flandre.

> Moving behind Flanre focused instead of unfocused, dying in the process.

Don't do this.

Understood.

> Failing Kagome Kagome

You do know how the card works, right? Second bubble on the second and third waves (in each iteration) is aimed.

I know how it works, it's just always caught me in a place where I get scared and bomb.

> Losing cool after deaths.

Now you're just over-exaggerating. Horrible derp death? Get over it and continue playing. By letting yourself lose composure like that you're inviting more deaths and the inevitable rage. Take these deaths as your cue to buckle up and beat the crap out of the rest of the stage (but don't overdo it). Positive thoughts!

Thank you for the advice. I'll try to control myself next time.

> ReimuB and MarisaA.

ReimuB has a worse bomb (MarisaA's lasts a LOT longer) and is slightly less powerful, but the damper in speed lets you do pretty much half of the spells a lot more effectively. (ATWTBN and QED being the big ones, though a lot of other spells require precise movement, like Four of a Kind, Starbow Break and Catadioptric)

The funny thing is, in one attempt, I captured Starbow Break. It ended at Counter Clock. How does MarisaA's bomb help with QED though? It's not like Flandre can be damaged by bombs.

I can't stress this enough. If this is how you play all your games, you're constantly setting yourself up for these "rage attacks". Stop letting yourself lose it due to some stupid death. Better yet, limit the amount of stupid deaths by putting a finger over the bomb button when you're not feeling 100% safe. It's not that complicated. You want to get better at this game, badly, don't you? Deteriorating to rage over and over again won't speed up the process.

Thank you for all of this advice. If I remember it, it's going to be very helpful. I don't collapse IMMEDIATELY, it's because often what you see is not the first attempt, but one of many, MANY attempts and I'm sick of practicing.

Replies in blue.

Enjoy.

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:58 AM »
I think Marisa A is better for EoSD extra cause she finishes most of the cards very fast (safespot Royal Flare lol)
Though i made my first clear with Reimu B, probably due to lack of character control experience back then.
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 03:48:43 AM »
Or, you can learn Royal Flare :getdown:

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
I never said that MarisaA is better for QED; she isn't. The bomb makes no difference too, its length only matters for ATWTBN for obvious reasons. (and it CAN make a difference in plenty of cases so it's worth a mention)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
Let's Play Embodiment of Scarlet Devil Part 4: Extra Stage! has been uploaded.

Up next is not PCB part 1, nor IN part 1.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
EoSD Part 5?

Good job.

*You can stay under Flandre without going through a single 'wall' in MoL after the first yellow->blue transition, since she always has a slither of health left. (6:07)
*Yeah, never stay near the corners like that during ATWTBN's first phase. Things tend to spawn there!
*Great injustice to QED right there by comparing it to Star Sapphire's stuff. :(

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:48 PM »
*Great injustice to QED right there by comparing it to Star Sapphire's stuff. :(

RobinLSL did the same exact thing but the exact opposite: He compared them in his GFW Let's Play. I'm just saying, it uses the same mechanic. Seriously.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
It does, but they're kind of one-at-a-time in GFW's case. Either way, it wasn't a very serious-minded remark.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
It does, but they're kind of one-at-a-time in GFW's case. Either way, it wasn't a very serious-minded remark.

Well sorry for insulting your favorite character even though Luna Child's better.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
1) She's not my favorite, but she's up there.
2) Irrelevant.  ::)

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

Enjoy.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
Alright, I was debating whether I would post here, but I may as well, seeing as I bothered to watch a couple.

I was surprised at how much better you were once you actually quit manufacturing your rage. Now think of what you could do if you stopped singing...

No really, singing is not something you do in a Let's Play unless you're Raocow. I've seen nearly the entire Retsupurae library, and so many of them sing it is not funny, in any sense of the word. I realize coming up with helpful advice is difficult while you're recording live commentary, but you really need to think something else up. (one could also make the argument that live commentary in a high-concentration game like Touhou is a bad idea to begin with, but that's another story).

Your decision to not get so angry in your EoSD extra clear was good. Keep that up.

I too got eye twitchy when you compared QED to Star's non-spell. Assuming people were experiencing Touhou for the first time through you (let's be blunt; they are not), they would not know what you were talking about. But really, what are the chances a Touhou fan would know a non-spell from a rarely played game in the series over an extra boss' final card?

Otherwise, decent playing, eventually.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 10:48:01 PM »
Alright, I was debating whether I would post here, but I may as well, seeing as I bothered to watch a couple.

I was surprised at how much better you were once you actually quit manufacturing your rage. Now think of what you could do if you stopped singing...

No really, singing is not something you do in a Let's Play unless you're Raocow. I've seen nearly the entire Retsupurae library, and so many of them sing it is not funny, in any sense of the word. I realize coming up with helpful advice is difficult while you're recording live commentary, but you really need to think something else up. (one could also make the argument that live commentary in a high-concentration game like Touhou is a bad idea to begin with, but that's another story).

Your decision to not get so angry in your EoSD extra clear was good. Keep that up.

I too got eye twitchy when you compared QED to Star's non-spell. Assuming people were experiencing Touhou for the first time through you (let's be blunt; they are not), they would not know what you were talking about. But really, what are the chances a Touhou fan would know a non-spell from a rarely played game in the series over an extra boss' final card?

Otherwise, decent playing, eventually.

Sorry, I just like the music in these games... I don't mean to be annoying, I just prefer babbling incoherently over having awkward, awkward silence. I may get Retsupurae'd (And honestly I wouldn't mind because it'd be worth a laugh), but I can't think of much commentary else than that that would be relevant. I'm not going to talk about how my dog can't grasp simple concepts when I'm dodging Daiyousei's GFW nonspell.

One part, I knew people would love for me to sing because to be honest Bad Apple!! has such an annoyingly large following. It'd just be better if I could REMEMBER the lyrics.

And I'm sorry for comparing QED to Sapphire's noncard. I didn't realize that it would tick you off that I was comparing Flandre's last card to a nonspell of a normal boss. I'm sorry. THEY ARE THE SAME. The only difference is that Star Sapphire's comes from one source and often includes walls/fire bullets. That's it. There are very few games that use the mechanic of bullets reflecting off of walls in that manner, let alone spells and nonspells.

AND TO BE FAIR FOR EoSD, PCB, AND IN, POSSIBLY PoFV, I HAVE TO PLAY IN WINDOWED MODE WHEN I'M USED TO FULLSCREEN. I'd play leagues better if I played in fullscreen. LLS and MS don't count because those are games I'm used to playing in windowed.

And about high-concentration games and live commentary not mixing, oh well. I enjoy doing these. Those two incidents where I fell apart were just because Flandre's a pain in my rear end that makes Nue look like a cakewalk.

Another idea just to see how bad it could really get: "Let's Sing Along With Embodiment of Scarlet Devil"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:01:11 PM by Ace »

Enjoy.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:27 PM »
Why do you need it to be windowed at all? I dunno if adding a microphone to the mix changes anything, but I recorded my videos full-screen without issue. I used Fraps for non-PC-98 videos.

Oh, and I should be clear: It's not your playing that aggravated me; it was the "RRRRRRrRRrRRrRR" and how you would sacrifice a run just to be more angry (you cannot convince me otherwise in at least one occasion). That seems to be addressed though, so I'll leave it at that.

Sorry, I just like the music in these games... I don't mean to be annoying, I just prefer babbling incoherently over having awkward, awkward silence. I may get Retsupurae'd (And honestly I wouldn't mind because it'd be worth a laugh), but I can't think of much commentary else than that that would be relevant. I'm not going to talk about how my dog can't grasp simple concepts when I'm dodging Daiyousei's GFW nonspell.

If you know Retsupurae, then you should learn from their example. You want to make videos that people want to watch, right? Unedited videos that contain nothing but failed attempts, singing and humming the music, and getting way more angry than could ever be realistic are all hallmarks of the videos they mock. And, I know live commentary is your preferred thing, but I really do think it is fair to say that a Touhou Let's Play is much more suited to either an annotated LP, or post-production commentary. When you actually try to do live commentary, this happens.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 02:23:19 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I start to cool it from now on. Should I just discard my three videos of failures?

I need it to be windowed because Camtasia will not record videos when I play in fullscreen. Period.

If it gets excessive and I can't get a successful attempt that I can upload within three tries, I'm just going to record it without talking and hope that helps me.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:25:59 AM by Ace »

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
I'm just not gonna bother uploading those episodes, I made one new one but it's mostly a microphone test. Let's just say you can hear me a lot better over the game audio. I'll be uploading an episode of LLS tomorrow and an episode of DS tomorrow, maybe the next day.

Another note: I'll be gone from July 6th to July 9th because I'll be at the nation's capitol. On July 10th I may be on for my birthday, but I might not upload a video.

EDIT: Let's Play Lotus Land Story Part 2: New Microphone, New Failure!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:53:19 AM by Ace »

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »

Enjoy.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:31 AM »
Okay, this may be obvious by now, but I'm just sick of making Touhou LPs for a good while. I'm sorry guys, but I've been interrupted twenty times compared to the one video that I get out. The only reason I put out EoSD parts 2 and 3 is because I was sick of interruptions. If I do come back, it'll likely come back as a second thread and it'll be when I have a lot to update with.

But hey, look on the bright side: I can move on to other stuff and I'm not just confined to the same old gimmicks in the games that I talk over.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:14:17 AM by Ace »

Enjoy.