Author Topic: Getting trapped in focus mode!?  (Read 2362 times)

Zil

Getting trapped in focus mode!?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:26:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is the right place to ask this question...

So every once in a while, when I take my finger of the shift key, my computer makes a beep sound and my character does not unfocus. I have to press shift again a couple times in order to get back to normal movement.
I've been putting up with it 'till now, mainly because it hardly ever happens, but it just denied me a flawless Kanako run :trollface:

This is somewhat less important, but I just watched a replay in TD, and it kept desynching in every stage. I believe it happened whenever I died.

A third thing, and this has nothing to do with Touhou, whenever I type on this site, instead of automatically dropping to the next line when I reach the end of the box,
the screen just expands and shifts to the right, leaving the toolbars and such behind.

Help with this stuff would be nice...

Re: Getting trapped in focus mode!?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:33:34 AM »
Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use > Uncheck sticky keys

Zil

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:39:35 AM »
It's not sticky keys. I'm pretty sure it's not anyway, since I diasabled that ages ago, back when I used to play Maplestory.  ???
EDIT: Yeah, it's not sticky keys, I checked. I was trying to force it to happen but I couldn't. It seems totally random. I can't even tell what triggers it.
Thanks for the quick reply btw
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:47:17 AM by Zil »

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:50:01 AM »
It sure sounds like sticky keys. They use the shift key and do make a beep. I'd check it anyway, can't hurt, and won't take more than a minute.

Easier way to navigate to it is to type Sticky Keys in the search box, then Change how your keyboard works.

I have mine like this here in Win7 and have never had any problems with shift.

[attach=1]
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Zil

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:13 AM »
No, it 100% for sure is not sticky keys; I checked it. I realize what I said there sounded missleading. The thing I was trying to "force to happen" was the shift glitch itself. I pressed shift like a maniac, moved all over the place, fired randomly, and I couldn't trigger the glitch. Sticky keys is off, I've checked a bunch of times.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:35:19 AM »
Could it be your keyboard being glitchy?  Have you tried playing with a controller for comparison?

Zil

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:06 AM »
It probobly is my keyboard, but I'm not sure what I can do about that. I feel like using a controller would be a zillion times more difficult. This is something like a playstation controller we're talking about right? I just can't imagine using it.
This just occured to me: It has never happened in PoFV, no doubt because I use the "focus while shooting" setup, so I don't have to mash the Z button. So I don't focus with shift in PoFV. This seems to mean two things to me:
1. The problem is with the button itself, not the games or something like that.
2. I can possibly avoid it by using the focus while shooting option in the other games, though that may affect my ability to actually play them...

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:45:11 AM »
Huh, I thought that using a controller would actually be easier to use, with less problems or lag.  Since keyboards have a tendency to have weird rollover issues, especially cheap ones.

Zil

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
The problem I was thinking of with a controller is that I can't have a finger on every button; all the movement buttons would be pressed by the thumb, meaning it would be hopping to and fro like a thing possesed. Basically, I feel it would take half a second to change direction, and moving diagonally would also be a pain. I used to play Gradius on my PS2 way back when, and the controller always annoyed the hell out of me.

EDIT: Tried SA with focus while firing... entirely out of the question.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:28:20 AM by Zil »