Author Topic: Games with world continuity  (Read 1964 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Games with world continuity
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:02 AM »
Sorry for the vague subject, but I just tripped across something related to super-metroid the other day which made me think "I wonder if there are other games like it where they re-use the world or dungeon topography somehow". When you say it, it sounds like lazy development, but when I played supermetroid for the first time, I had played metroid before like 6 years ago or so, and I was like "hey, it's just like metroid's world (but yet it was different), COOL". Are there any other games that do this? Doesn't have to be a platformer.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Re: Games with world continuity
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:33 AM »
Um... I guess the one that springs to mind immediately is Pokemon (Heart)Gold/(Soul)Silver.  It was always fun going back to tear up Kanto again, ahah~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
Pikmin.
Exact same map really, just different.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »

Dawn of the not-really-that-new world.

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:39:02 AM »
The Golden Sun series' world of Weyard. Sure, things have changed a bit in Dark Dawn, but that was because of topography upheaval - there are still some of the old places left (though most you don't get to see because of either the new geography or story reasons).
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »
Suikoden II has the Imperial Capital from the first game in it.  All the Suikodens are in the same world, but unfortunately this is the only time I can think of you actually get to revisit previous games' settings.  There's a bit in Suiko V where you go to the area from Suiko IV, but you don't end up going somewhere that was actually part of Suiko IV.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:59 AM »
The Kingdom Hearts series did this a lot. It doesn't matter which game you pick there is at least one world from another game.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
In ninja gaiden 1 you come from the hayabusa village. At a later point in the game you'd return there, but proceed through the entire level in reverse all the way up to and including some house/dojo in the mountains. And the graveyard now contains the grave of a girl who died at the start of the game.

Then in Ninja gaiden 2.... the village still looks the exact same. Grave is still there and all. And once again you get to play it in reverse, and end up going to that same house which is now weather worn and trashy because the owner died in NG1.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »
Chain World :smug:

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
Persona 4, there's a part where you
Spoiler:
visit Gekkoukan High, the school from the third game, and even get lectured by the tarot teacher there, and even meet an older Chihiro