Author Topic: Video Games Live!  (Read 8522 times)

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
Video Games Live!
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
http://www.videogameslive.com/

Awww yeah, going for my 3rd concert tomorrow night (went twice in 2008) and oh oh look at that special guest  8)

Has anyone else been to a show?  They're all over the world and every show has a slightly different set list and since I last went almost exactly 2 years ago I'm double existed to see what else is going to be on the roster!

If it comes anywhere close to where you live I highly, highly recommend going (and if at all possible, spring for better seats as to reduce the change of being near dumb fanboy/girls who only clap when One Winged Angel is played and shout stupid 4chan crap...)

Re: Video Games Live!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
I missed this when they were in my city in 2008. I am now sad to see that they don't have my city on their 2011 roster.  :(
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
I was at their 2008 and 2009 Pittsburgh performances. I have to say I really do enjoy listening to their performances. A pity the PSO disallows any sort of recording devices, they do a really good castlevania mix.

I'm lucky I haven't ran into much 4chan issues for all the nerdy stuff I've been to, which is odd considering all the high-tech campuses in the Pittsburgh area. >.>;

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
I went to it last year with a friend.  It was pretty damn snazzy.

...Hot damn, I find myself tempted to go again.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »
I remember it being in Chicago recently, as well as when it was in town a couple years ago (they handed out flyers at the anime con around here). I've never been, not because I wouldn't want to, but because it always escaped my mind. Maybe they'll come back in 2012.

theshirn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
Snap decisions GO

I just bought two tickets, I'm coming with a friend!  I'd come with more but they're all like "noooo I have work", silly people.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

triangles

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
I think the amount of lolfans depends on the venue.  I went to the NYC show first which was not only a weaker orchestra, but more obnoxious fans.  Newark NJ was much better in both regards (plus closer and we know the area like the back of our hand + all the good restaurants in the area!) to the point we opted not to go to the 2009 show because it was only coming to NYC.

Snap decisions GO

The right decision!  Tonight or tomorrow?

And they update the locations all the time, so don't despair if your city's not up for 2011 yet!

theshirn

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »
The right decision!  Tonight or tomorrow?
Tomorrow night!  Perhaps we'll even see each other!

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
Apparently they are scheduling one in Richmond sometime in 2011. I'll probably keep abreast of it.

Drake

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

triangles

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
Tomorrow night!  Perhaps we'll even see each other!

Ohoho!
Just look for the Gordan Freeman lookalike with a short girl who has even shorter blonde hair (ahhhhh the hairdresser wasn't kidding when they asked if I minded short  :derp:)

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 04:25:34 AM »
Whoa MAAAAN this was the best Video Games Live of the bunch. 

They started out with an old school medley but tossed in a few more from their not-so-usual fare.  Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, Pong, Space Invaders, MAGICAL SOUND SHOWER (from Outrun and one of my damn favorite songs - which btw was played at our wedding :-P), Contra, etc. 

Got a bunch more standouts including Chrono Trigger/Cross as their good encore, Still Alive as their other encore... the girl who composed the music from the first Castlevania game was there.  They had a KICK FUCKING ASS Mega Man medley - the openings of 2 and 3, the Dr. Wily song that also is Okkusenman (I know it has an actual name, shut up). 

SHADOWS OF THE COLOSSUS

HOLY SHIT

SHADOWS OF THE COLOSSUS

triangles' voice is going but her last words were "I'd see a concert just of Shadows of the Colossus." 

Oh yeah, they also played Border of Life
Spoiler:
No they didn't D:

A FAN FREAKING TASTIC medley of Street Fighter II... Guile (it went with this so well!), Ryu, and Ken's music - which coincidentally are pretty awesome and the only themes triangles knows.

People, get on VGL's Twitter, Facebook, RSS feed, what the hell ever.  It's worth it.  Get classy or just go in street clothes.

triangles is dictating this to me, and I don't take dictation well so I'll let her post later with moar details  :V

theshirn

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 05:37:33 AM »
Guile's theme really does go with everything.  Including VGL, apparently.

I ran around looking for you guys during intermission (got there late thanks to incorrect directions), but no dice. :(

Also probably the single best thing was during the final encore of Still Alive: at the line "and we're out of beta, we're releasing on time" the screen flashed the logo for Duke Nukem Forever.  I had to stop singing along to laugh.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »
theshim, I'm told you are of observant Orthodox persuasion, and as such I walked past two guys in yarmulkes.  Both seemed to be on the old side, though, and neither recognized me.  I felt it would be a bit too weird to go up and ask "Pardon me, but does the name Reimu Hakurei mean anything to either of you?"

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
I felt it would be a bit too weird to go up and ask "Pardon me, but does the name Reimu Hakurei mean anything to either of you?"

We MotKers need a secret code-phrase to identify each other IRL.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 09:30:20 AM »
Aw yeah, I saw these guys last year at GenCon-Indy 2010!
Pure awesome.

Best concert I ever went to.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
No, we do not.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
"Pardon, have you seen my lawn gnome?"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:32:01 AM by Iryan »
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 06:42:13 PM »

Hakurei Yin/Yang orb tattoos.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »

"Pardon, have you seen my shirt belt?"

:V

Also, I remember watching it once on TV, it seemed pretty damn awesome, but they played a lot of WoW music in this concert, which I didn't play :< Still, I'd definitely buy tickets for these guys if they're ever around.

triangles

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »
I was actually wearing a sweater dress + belt to the concert  :o

Yeah they played a WoW (3/3 on that one...) followed by a Diablo segment which I think was newish.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
I *finally* attended last year's in Rio. And thus got the DVD before the US release(before all of you, suckit).
Every year I was like maaaaaaaaaaaaaaanIgottagotothat but something got in the way.

Oh, and they started playing Still alive around the globe due to sheer Brazillian pressure too. They improvisedthe thing for a encore last year, the singer kept missing the lyrics, was a mess :V

My only obvious usual complaint is "wish it had less Nintendo", but considering where I live it's a impossible request :V
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Burkie

• Sea Bear
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
*Walks into thread.* "Aww, you guys are so lucky to live in America, something like this would never bother coming over here  :("
*Checks Listings*
"2009- Dublin, Ireland- November 29"
"2011- Ireland- TBA"
 o__o... wat?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 01:11:41 AM »
The VGL organizer dudes are p damn cool when picking their places :V
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .