Author Topic: One Chance  (Read 18499 times)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
Re: One Chance
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »
Untrue. Most of the thread has come to the conclusion that the game is bad, and has even established salient and relevant reasons as to why this is so. As Garlyle above said, additional discussion has been provoked and, in general, this has been quite a productive thread.

I don't think what I'm about to say is relevant, and people may laugh at me for this, but I actually ended up taking a LOT of the discussion here to heart (and I probably shouldn't have, because lol internet) and I did end up actually crying my eyes out over this. :fail: I respect that you found something quite productive out of this, but I'm not going to stand by and agree with that because I basically ended up getting nothing but misery out of this entire exchange.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2010, 04:15:13 PM »
I don't think what I'm about to say is relevant, and people may laugh at me for this, but I actually ended up taking a LOT of the discussion here to heart (and I probably shouldn't have, because lol internet) and I did end up actually crying my eyes out over this. :fail: I respect that you found something quite productive out of this, but I'm not going to stand by and agree with that because I basically ended up getting nothing but misery out of this entire exchange.

I do actually understand where you're coming from. A lot of this discussion has been essentially "your favourite game sucks," which is always hurtful, whatever the reasoning behind it. I have been on the receiving end of similar stuff as well. I will outright state that I certainly did not intend for a reaction like yours to happen, but I nevertheless stand fully behind everything I posted in this thread.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »
I will outright state that I certainly did not intend for a reaction like yours to happen, but I nevertheless stand fully behind everything I posted in this thread.
Pretty much this.

Like I said, it's perfectly alright to enjoy or take meaning from a game despite how bad it is (or even because of how bad it is).  Experiences are only worthless if they don't have any worth to the individual who goes through them.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
Untrue. Most of the thread has come to the conclusion that the game is bad, and has even established salient and relevant reasons as to why this is so.

If by "most of the thread" you mean "a few people repeating themselves", yes. The people who thought it was good have also given "salient and relevant reasons" for their opinions.

People who thought the game was bad have the right to think that way, just like the people who thought the game was good. Yelling at each other, or jumping in to repeat how bad/good you thought it was, isn't really "a discussion" by any definition. It's bickering.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
If by "most of the thread" you mean "a few people repeating themselves", yes. The people who thought it was good have also given "salient and relevant reasons" for their opinions.

Actually no, they have not. The dislikers have presented arguments that the game is bad from several angles - design, storytelling, execution, presentation, setup, sometimes even with cogent elucidations. Things that can be discussed more or less objectively. The likers have pretty much all come in from a...

Okay, I am going to sound like an utter asshole if I continue this sentence. If you're really interested in me continuing this, I can do it by PM.

People who thought the game was bad have the right to think that way, just like the people who thought the game was good.

This has nothing to do with the content of the thread. Free speech is not at risk here.

Yelling at each other, or jumping in to repeat how bad/good you thought it was, isn't really "a discussion" by any definition. It's bickering.

I must have missed the yelling. I saw a pretty clear discussion that went beyond the "it's good/it's bad" and actually discussed why it is so.

Tengukami

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:01 PM »
Actually no, they have not. The dislikers have presented arguments that the game is bad from several angles - design, storytelling, execution, presentation, setup, sometimes even with cogent elucidations. Things that can be discussed more or less objectively. The likers have pretty much all come in from a...

Okay, I am going to sound like an utter asshole if I continue this sentence. If you're really interested in me continuing this, I can do it by PM.

Actually, if you really think this way? I'm not interested in what you have to say about it. I've offered cogent arguments for why I think this game is good, but it seems you've ignored them, willfully or otherwise.

Why you seem so keen to "prove" that this game is bad is beyond me. It's mind-boggling to me that you can't accept a subjective measure. Maybe it bugs you to see people enjoying a five-minute diversion that you didn't enjoy or something, I don't know. But I have to say, it's a bit unlike you to threadshit like this.

Not that you're alone in this or anything. There've been over-reactions all round. I'm deeply disappointed in the turn this thread has taken, and now regret ever starting it in the first place.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
Yeah, Everyone has picked their side and made it clear where they sit by now. If we're going to continue arguing in this thread, we'd have to move onto a different topic now.

Cut:
I must have missed the yelling.
There seemed to be quite a bit of yelling, actually. Most of it were from the people insisting they liked the game. Likely because they wanted to argue the point that they enjoyed it, but couldn't actually come up with reasons why other people should have liked it.
Edit: I'm trying not to sound like I'm gloating, but I feel like I'm failing at that.

A game with multiple paths that you can only play once (without being a cheatyface) is actually a pretty interesting premise. Just needs to be done with a better game :V

...What? Hell no, this would be a horrible idea. Imagine playing Persona 3, and after the Final boss, you're dumped right into the first floor of the tower and stuck with the same social links you got in the first run! All of that content locked out "just because."

Not to mention, no game like this will ever come out for anything besides flash. Game companies would laud you for attempting to make a game where the sales pitch was essentially "you only have to rent this game, because there's no chance you'll get any replay value out of this!"
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:05:41 PM by WhiteMageChocobo »

Tengukami

« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »
There seemed to be quite a bit of yelling, actually. Most of it were from the people insisting they liked the game. Likely because they wanted to argue the point that they enjoyed it, but couldn't actually come up with reasons why other people should have liked it.

Here's my take: why is it so important to "prove" why you should or should not enjoy this game? If you didn't like it for a set of reasons, hearing why someone else liked it for their set of reasons might give you another perspective, but it isn't really going to change your mind. And vice versa.

Instead, we hear, "I didn't like this game, and you can't deliver reasons why this game should be liked, therefore this game is objectively bad."

Attempting to apply a objective value to creative pieces is always tricky, although possible. "Proving" someone into liking or disliking something is not one of these ways.

Seriously, I'm confused by this entire "prove this game is great/terrible" idea. Either you liked it, or you didn't.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'm locking this up. This entire thread was a mistake, is beyond saving, and is ugly to look at.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM by Kilgamayan »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
I wish I could post YouTube videos in my posts. :(

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »
You need admin hax :3c

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
HEY ASSHOLES THE VIDEO VERY CLEARLY SAYS "ENDING" THAT MEANS THIS THREAD HAS ENDED
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"