Author Topic: Theory: Marisa dies in 2015.  (Read 25697 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Theory: Marisa dies in 2015.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:58 PM »
Yeah, I think Occam's Razor is a good thing to apply here, i.e., is it more likely that ZUN was banging out some snappy dialogue or that he was planning ten years in advance to kill off/dramatically change one of the major protagonists of the series?

Still, fun to think about!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Yeah, I think Occam's Razor is a good thing to apply here, i.e., is it more likely that ZUN was banging out some snappy dialogue or that he was planning ten years in advance to kill off/dramatically change one of the major protagonists of the series?

Still, fun to think about!
IMO, lots of things can happen over 10 years and are not sure, not to mention actually developping the games, so it'll be ridiculously awesome if it's actually something that goes around the lines of "just as planned" ; But yeah, speculations are fun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 06:15:07 PM by Suspicious person »

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
IMO, lots of things can happen over 10 years and are not sure, not to mention actually developping the games, so it'll be ridiculously awesome if it's actually something that goes around the lines of "just as planned" ; But yeah, speculations are fun.

10 years are a lot, but you know, there have been tons of "sneak peeks" in the series since MoF (both in mangas and games) ? the yatagarasu and the Gakutensoku, Cirno using a pun with Hata no Kawakatsu's name in Fairy Wars, Miko's cape in HM, Kasen talking about the break of the Great Barrier in WaHH, Reisen and astronomy out-of-nowhere on Forbidden Scrollery.... You know, I'm not saying "maybe Marisa will die this year" but I wouldn't be surprised if ZUN remembers the dialogue.

Heck, we can even say "that was Sumireko" when Renko said to Maribel "I have a special connection you don't know about" on Ghostly Field Club.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:17 AM »
Heck, we can even say "that was Sumireko" when Renko said to Maribel "I have a special connection you don't know about" on Ghostly Field Club.
Funny you should mention that, because I was reading over the Sealing Club CD stories last night and noticed a strange choice of words here, too.

Here's what she says in the Japanese: 「私には裏表ルートがあるのよ。メリー。」

A closer translation would be "I know of a two-way (in-and-out) route, Merry." There's nothing about connections in the way of knowing certain people. So while the current wiki translation isn't inaccurate, as you demonstrated, it left things too open to interpretation.

Plubio

• 宇宙少年
    • Suzunaan
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 03:00:38 AM »
A closer translation would be "I know of a two-way (in-and-out) route, Merry." There's nothing about connections in the way of knowing certain people. So while the current wiki translation isn't inaccurate, as you demonstrated, it left things too open to interpretation.

Oh, that's interesting, thank you.
To be honest I took my theory with a grain of salt as I didn't believe it could be true  ? but now that you mention a "more accurate" translation I can convince myself to think otherwise (it was a bit farfetched anyway).

But hey, I guess that's the fun part of a fandom like this. Theories.
Even if you're wrong, haha.

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 07:41:09 PM »
I know it's a bit late to be posting to this topic, but I've just had a thought that a more likely possibility would be more plot involving Sumireko, Renko, and Maribel. Marisa dying in Touhou is less likely than Cirno becoming an astronaut.

Kyo Tanaka

• Don't worry Sakuya, I will (Uuu~♥) protect you...
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:02:21 PM »
I know it's a bit late to be posting to this topic, but I've just had a thought that a more likely possibility would be more plot involving Sumireko, Renko, and Maribel. Marisa dying in Touhou is less likely than Cirno becoming an astronaut.
http://img10.deviantart.net/e17d/i/2014/335/c/0/super_space_cirno_s_64__by_roytheboy1213-d88eoob.png

Not sure if I can post it as image.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »

Not sure if I can post it as image.

i see nothing wrong
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 01:26:42 AM »
And she is still alive so unless ZUN didn't make something in 4 months were she dies we can say that this theory is debunked

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
Yeah, unless Zun makes another game within 4 months and she dies, or she dies in of the mangas, i'm gonna say that this theory is

BUSTED!
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »
So, are we supposed to celebrate her non-death or something?

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 02:23:18 PM »
As for the years passing, I'm pretty sure I read in one of the ZUN interviews or something that "the gensokyo timeline isn't really connected to the real world or anything. There might be several incidents during one year". But he's always been deliberately vague about everything like that. But that was also a long time ago. I don't think he actually wants to take the main characters out of their teens, though.
For my stories, I usually count them in real-time though, that is, one larger, world-breaking incident (the game incidents) per year, roughly. If the heroines were 12-13 in EoSD, that would make them around 20 in SA, and around 25-26 now. I'm pretty sure they're considered younger in ZUN's own version, though.

The dialogue referenced is 90% surely just cheeky banter, as always.

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
I am certain that the whole "Your 10 years too early to say that you want to die" from Komachi is just her saying that Marisa is still probably a teen and that she should live some more before she can confirm to herself that she truly wants to die.

Touhou is timeless. ZUN wouldn't do something so near sighted as kill off his "most important side character" just as a quick plot point. Nothing ZUN has done in the past has set a precedent for this kind of decision making in his work.

Also, 2015 is going to be finished so~on. Not much time left for your little theory : P.

Hope ♦ Metal

• Royal Flares Can't Melt Steel Beams
  • Donald Trump will make waifus real
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
Also, 2015 is going to be finished so~on. Not much time left for your little theory : P.
NEW THEORY: MARISA DIES IN 2016

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
Ignorant speculation
Clearly you haven't beaten LoLK yet.
Spoiler:
If you beat Legacy on Lunatic with no deaths, you see the true ending for each character. Marisa dies in that ending.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »
Clearly you haven't beaten LoLK yet.
Spoiler:
If you beat Legacy on Lunatic with no deaths, you see the true ending for each character. Marisa dies in that ending.
Spoiler:
This is a joke btw.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 10:21:50 PM »
Spoiler:
She kinda died a lot in Pointdevice modo tho

Drake

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
Spoiler:
But in Pointdevice you canonically never get hit

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 04:59:40 AM »
Spoiler:
She kinda died a lot in Pointdevice modo tho

Wait, what?

EDIT: Nevermind, i clearly missed Suspicious saying
Spoiler:
"died a lot"
. disregard this massage.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:21:44 AM by the old guy »

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »
Spoiler:
But in Pointdevice you canonically never get hit
Spoiler:
What about Legacy mode?