Author Topic: SpyParty  (Read 1729 times)

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
SpyParty
« on: October 13, 2013, 04:44:57 AM »
Someone tell me I'm not the only SpyParty player here!

SpyParty is a super-stressful, competitive 1v1 online game where you either play as:
-The Spy, who needs to complete missions at a classy party filled with AI before time runs out.
-The Sniper, who needs to figure out who the Spy is amongst the sea of npcs before the Spy finishes the missions. You get one shot.

The psychological aspect of SpyParty is immense, and being able to tell what your opponent's thinking is crucial. Too often have I thought I was highlighted for suspicion, tried to play innocent, and ran out of time - only to find out the Sniper never considered me at all. Even when the Sniper's not looking at me, for all I know he could just be pretending to look elsewhere, baiting me to confirm his suspicions.
I've seen games where a Spy messes up terribly, right under the Sniper's nose, but the Sniper is so focused on something else it flies completely under the radar! And every Sniper knows what it feels like to be absolutely certain that someone is the spy, yet be completely wrong - or think the Spy's almost done, take a panicked guess, shoot the wrong character, and find out that the Spy wasn't even close to finishing.

It's a $15 beta, and the graphics are very low-end right now (the new graphics are in transition!), but you get the full game when it comes out. I say it's totally worth it because SpyParty's just so unique - and shockingly well-balanced for such an asymmetric game. And maybe this is because it's a paid beta, but the community is the best. I almost always talk to my opponent after games about strategies and mistakes, and everyone is more open, helpful, and friendly than I've ever seen in an online game.

Check it out! http://www.spyparty.com/

I'm still using KrackoCloud as my username, so talk to me if you see me in the lobby!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:50:46 AM by BananaBread »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: SpyParty
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:51:02 AM »
Does the Sniper get Jarate for Spy-checking? :V

The gameplay idea does sound interesting - reminds me of The Ship somehow. Might take a deeper look into it if time permits.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
Does the Sniper get Jarate for Spy-checking? :V

The gameplay idea does sound interesting - reminds me of The Ship somehow. Might take a deeper look into it if time permits.
Yeah, they've been compared before, but Ship is definitely more of a party game. SpyParty can be some intense competitive stuff.

O4rfish

• something seems fishy
  • paranoia 4 lyfe
    • Ask an Oarfish!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
I play Bloody Good Time (spiritual sequel to The Ship) at lan parties, but you never try to act like an NPC in that.
[9:49:09] <Purvis> Generally not, but your mother may be an exception.