Author Topic: Which songs have themes for other characters in them?  (Read 2044 times)

Which songs have themes for other characters in them?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:36:41 AM »
Listening to The Dark Blowhole while playing SA made me realize that when Kisume appears, the song kicks into a minitheme for her: a few measures which clearly don't fit into the rest of the song. Different key, different melody, the works. I never noticed before because I was assuming it was just the "kick the music up a notch when the miniboss shows up" thing ZUN always does, but it's not quite the same thing, since so much is different. I'll always think of those two bars as "Kisume's theme." (Actually, I'd like to hear an arrangement or set of variations on that theme, rather than the entire song, to serve as a Kisume boss theme, but I don't think such a thing exists.)

In the same game, Last Remote has a cute little touch where distorted guitars show up when Sanae does, evoking Faith is for the Transient People. The interlude really isn't much like that song, though, and of course Sanae already has her own theme, so she doesn't need to seize this one.

Are there any other songs like that? Do any other midboss characters get their own themes? I know poor Momiji doesn't. Shizuka kind of does in A God That Loves People ~ Romantic Fall, but the midboss theme expands and takes over the whole song, leaving nothing of the original behind. I can't think of any others.

For that matter, which midboss themes in general do people like most?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Which songs have themes for other characters in them?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:22:58 AM »
Year-Round Absorbed Curiosity from Great Fairy Wars sounds like a slowed-down version of the closing theme for Inspector Gadget.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:24:47 AM »
Right off the top of my head there's Nue in UFO Stage 4, that part of the song is kind of disjointed from the rest.
Incidentally that's one of my favorite stage themes.

Zil

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:47:57 AM »
I think PCB's stage one theme starts to sound like Beloved Tomboyish Daughter when Cirno shows up, though it keeps going the whole time afterword. Also Maid and Pocket Watch of Blood has an extremely distinct part when Sakuya shows up, that stops when she leaves, though of course Sakuya has her own theme anyway. I personally think of that part as another mini-theme for Sakuya.
Year-Round Absorbed Curiosity from Great Fairy Wars sounds like a slowed-down version of the closing theme for Inspector Gadget
OMG it does  :o