Author Topic: Farewell Silent Hill, we hardly knew ye ;_;  (Read 5810 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Farewell Silent Hill, we hardly knew ye ;_;
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:02:10 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/silent-hill-downpour-now-with-three-dimensions-and-one-korn-son/

Quote from: :wikipedia:
For the best, most immersive experience in Silent Hill: Downpour, you may need to expand your set of home entertainment accoutrements. You'll need a pair of 3D glasses to take advantage of the game's newly announced stereoscopic 3D support, as well as impenetrable ear plugs to withstand the game's exclusive theme song -- provided by nu-metal band Korn.

Tentatively titled "Silent Hill," the song is pitched as "a perfect complement" to game's soundtrack, which is the first to be created by Dexter-ous composer Dan Licht. If the departure of former franchise composer Akira Yamaoka drove you into a murderous rage, a Korn-fed substitution might just compel you to sign a petition. (Oh yes, that's already happening.)

Yep, that's it, I'm getting off this train.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: Farewell Silent Hill, we hardly knew ye ;_;
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:24:04 AM »
>3D-fad spreading to consoles

*Sakana goes to explode slowly in the corner

And I haven't played Silent Hill, but having a nu-metal band do the music for the game instead of the original composer.... sonds like a really bad idea :V

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »
I liked Silent Hill.

...until Homecoming came.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Red Frost

• "Nee-san, is that you?"
  • "I can't tell from down here."
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 06:55:07 AM »
Yep, that's it, I'm getting off this train.

This might be the first time I've considered it... and I had high hopes for Downpour.  If you're getting off the Silent Hill train, get on the Dead Space one (if you haven't already)~  When Isaac Clarke gets off a train, it's amazing.

I actually forgot Korn was doing the theme song... and here my murderous intent had been subdued and forgotten.  I honestly expected more of the team, since they were pretty clear about them not whoring out the Bubble-Head Nurses and Pyramid Head designs.  I actually respected them for that, but now... now I just don't know anymore.

And the 3-D thing?  Seriously?  I'm so f*cking sick of the 3-D bandwagon that people are jumping on.  It was enough that the next Silent Hill movie was going to be made in 3-D but come on... (not to mention it looks like "Vincent" is supposed to be Heather's boyfriend, and he looks like a god-damn Jonas Brother).  I'm actually having trouble taking this post seriously because of the mention of 3-D.

And I haven't played Silent Hill, but having a nu-metal band do the music for the game instead of the original composer.... sonds like a really bad idea :V

Actually they're just doing the theme/main song it seems like... but yes, it's a cold-hard slap in the face for fans such as myself.  Devin Shatsky is doing the music for the game, which I'm curious about, but also really saddened by.  You really lose a lot of the heart of the series when you don't have Akira Yamaoka doing the music and sound.  That and I don't think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is doing any vocals, either.  God I loved her singing...

I liked Silent Hill.

...until Homecoming came.

Actually, I enjoyed Homecoming.  Sure, it was a far-cry from the earlier Silent Hill games, but the combat system made it fun.  I will admit, it seemed like they were trying to hard to be violent and gorey when the series was more about the atmosphere.  Even though Origins was made by a different team, I thought they did an amazing job with the game (and it was even handheld).  My only real gripe was that the ending seemed a bit rushed, or off.  I've yet to play Shattered Memories, but I've been hearing mixed things about it... it's actually the first Silent Hill game I didn't get to playing right away.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
Korn's still relevant?  Hell, they're still around?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
No Yamaoka, no Silent Hill for me. The musical style he had made the series what it is IMO. Barely touched the games but loved the OSTs anyways.

And of course, obligatory 'GOD DAMN IT 3D GIMMICK' statement.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »
I'm more surprised by this :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Korn

Welp. There's another game I won't be buying.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
They were making kind of a comeback until their last two albums were, um, shit.

As much as I like(d) Korn (yes, I liked Korn, shut up), I don't think their style fits well at all with Silent Hill.  So yeah, I'm agreeing that this is pretty much a trainwreck waiting to happen.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
Why Korn? Not even Korn likes Korn.

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
The Korn thing is kind of baffling, but that wouldn't turn me off of the game, since I'd figure it'd be either an intro or credits thing, and thus kind of skippable. Now, badly-rendered 3D, however...

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »
My brother had this weird fucked up tape of the first CD of korn back when it was new, I rather liked it.. but it was weird... It...didn't have some of the elements on the CD. I'm not talking quality, I'm talking about ENTIRE INSTRUMENTS/VOCALS missing. Sounded better.

Then I heard the CD itself like 5 years later and I was like WTF is this shit. Yeah, never liked em since.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »
Funny thing is, I like the idea of Korn, but their music is just uninspired "nu-metal" dreck. Plus they remind me of that there was a lot of crap music going around at the time - Limp Biskit, Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray. God I really don't miss the 90s.

Oh wait, Silent Hill. I liked the mobile phone version of this game.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »
I've stopped playing Silent Hill after Silent Hill 4: The Room, not because of that particular game though because I actually liked it. I didn't really find any of the ones after that to be as interesting.

At least I can still look forward to whatever Frictional comes up with next.
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 06:43:13 PM »
(yes, I liked Korn, shut up)
I don't respect you anymore.

This is balls, because I'd never really played Silent Hill until last weekend when I played some of the Wii one with my friends, and I thought it was pretty rad. The music stood out for me too, and I remember a huge fucking portion of fucking Video Games Live being Silent Hill songs and I just didn't get why until then.

And they're replacing that? :V
With uh, Korn? :V
And making it 3D too? :V

Who the hell makes those decisions
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
Who the hell makes those decisions
people with money

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
people with money
and a strong desire to lose it, it seems
                                                                                   .

Red Frost

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »

Actually, that's what crossed my mind when I heard about this.  It was a while back and when I saw it I thought "... where the hell did that come from?  Is this a joke?  Wait, it's not April 1st...  What the f*ck?"

Funny thing is, I like the idea of Korn, but their music is just uninspired "nu-metal" dreck. Plus they remind me of that there was a lot of crap music going around at the time - Limp Biskit, Smash Mouth, Sugar Ray. God I really don't miss the 90s.

One of the reasons I opted for video game and foreign music while growing up.  Every time I heard a song associated with any of them, I felt the urge to punch someone.  Kinda like now, with that Cerebral Ballzy crap they keep advertising on Adult Swim.

and a strong desire to lose it, it seems

1: Take beloved series in new direction.
2: ? ? ?
3: Profit?

It's a bad move with any series, but when it's one with incredibly faithful fans who're constantly critical of the series, and even moreso when it's in the hands of developers that aren't part of the original Team Silent, you're essentially running to the gallows.  And what's worse is that they've been trying to get more opinions from the fans and trying to understand them, what with the facebook group and forums and all that.  This seriously seems like a trolling...

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »
Oh come on, now they're just harvesting the series for cash.

:comedycentral:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:25 AM »
This might be the first time I've considered it... and I had high hopes for Downpour.  If you're getting off the Silent Hill train, get on the Dead Space one (if you haven't already)~  When Isaac Clarke gets off a train, it's amazing.
Dead Space is ok, it's a better System Shock clone than Bioshock is.  It relies too much on cheap scares though instead of setting the dread with ambiance and immersion.  It's still no System Shock 2, the absolute best horror game ever.  And if you disagree I will tear your innards out and turn you into a wormy midwife.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 12:54:54 AM »
I've never played any System Shock, and haven't finished Bioshock yet, but I dropped Dead Space because I thought it was too damn boring. Bioshock, on the other hand, I've yet to finish because it has such an intense feel. Gotta get back on that, what I've had so far is delicious.
                                                                                   .

Red Frost

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »
Dead Space is ok, it's a better System Shock clone than Bioshock is.  It relies too much on cheap scares though instead of setting the dread with ambiance and immersion.  It's still no System Shock 2, the absolute best horror game ever.  And if you disagree I will tear your innards out and turn you into a wormy midwife.

If you're talking about the first one, they took care of the "Oh they're coming from the vents again" issue that players said was too obvious in the first one.  They might be using cliche scares, but I thought they utilized them quite well.  It's a lot more fast-paced and panic-inducing than something like Silent Hill, but I think they created great ambience.  I also found the game totally immersive, to the point where I sometimes didn't notice the button prompts.  You are rewarded by strategically dismembering your enemies instead of just unloading your clip on them, the inventory could only be accessed in real-time, and the game used the same graphics for both gameplay and cutscenes, making it hard to know when you were actually in control.  If you haven't played Dead Space 2, I'd highly suggest it.
I actually haven't played either of those games, so I can't say (but now you've got me curious).  I really like the survival horror genre, but I've actually only followed Silent Hill (until Dead Space came into my life).  I've played the first Parasite Eve and F.E.A.R. and that's about it.  I'd love to try out Left 4 Dead but I don't think my PC could handle it, and I'd love to try out Dead Island after I finish up some games (like Catherine, which I just got the other day).

I've never played any System Shock, and haven't finished Bioshock yet, but I dropped Dead Space because I thought it was too damn boring. Bioshock, on the other hand, I've yet to finish because it has such an intense feel. Gotta get back on that, what I've had so far is delicious.

That's too bad that you dropped it, it can actually be a pretty intense game at times.  You wouldn't happen to have been playing the one for Wii (Dead Space Extraction), were you?  I haven't actually played that one all the way through, so I can't say much about it, but found myself kinda bored with Extraction... really should get to beating that.  I always thought Bioshock was PC only, so I never got interested, but then I saw a picture of a Big Daddy fighting a Pedobear and started looking it up.  It's funny how little crap like that can make me want to play a game...

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
I played halfway through it. And it wasn't the Wii thing no, I was playing on the PC. The gameplay is slow and messy, the story has so much wasted potential, the horror element is almost non-existent.
It's a shame really, the concept is incredible.

Also Bioshock is available for X360 and PS3 too.
                                                                                   .

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
Anyone else play anything by Frictional Games (Penumbra, Amnesia)? They do pretty good in survival horror in that you're pretty much useless in a direct confrontation.