Author Topic: E3 2012 Thread  (Read 25382 times)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: E3 2012 Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
What I want to know is: why? Why is the general consensus that the Wii U tablet is terrible? I mean, we've seen what a bit of controller innovation can do before. Just look at the original Wii's success. And simply looking at what the tablet can do I can only see great potential. The DS made use of two screens as well, and produced many great games using that feature. Why would the same not apply with the Wii U?  The size doesn't seem that bothersome to me, and the extra buttons make it much more suitable for shooters, fighters etc. And remember, everyone hated the Wiimote when it was revealed, but it did very well in practice.
Dunno about other people, but for me the WiiU-Tablet doesn't impress because all I can see is "They're trying to sell it as a handheld system without the portability."  If it had its OWN disc slot somewhere so you could actually bring the thing elsewhere with you instead of needing the main unit on and nearby, it might be different.  Then it's kinda like getting a handheld and a regular console all rolled in one, which sounds cool.

Also upon the Wiimote:  Great idea, works PRETTY well, but until the motion detection gets further perfected, it's still a bit gimmicky feeling rather than immersive in some cases.  I still like it though for the twist it gave to gaming.  Particularly liked things like Metroid Prime 3 with it.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
Also shame on you all for not mentioning Rayman Legends. Everything from 3:50 and onwards blew me away.
things that don't even have to be said.  for just the stage itself

although I'll say it anyway: that land of the livid dead remix is very, very wonderful
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:14:04 PM by Garlyle »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
My problem with the WiiU is that the whole dual screen thing doesn't work as well as the DS. The screens are disjointed, and holding up the tablet seems like a pain; not exactly a comfortable position. It also makes the controller heavy, which is a pain.

Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Agree. It's like they tried too hard to make a console that screams 'the future is here' with other things taking a side seat. Then again, a lot of parties are guilty of this nowadays.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Adding to that, the screen controller doesn't really add anything in my eyes. Everything that the second screen does has been done just as good if not better on single screen for years. Technically, this isn't even the first time Nintendo has tried this gimmick. Finally, holding it up, using it as a motion controller and drawing on it all sound more like a serious pain in the rear than any real fun. I see Sony trying to copy this and all I can say is 'why?' I saw serious potential in the original Wii, but this new one leaves me underwhelmed.

I really hope Rayman Legends, by some miracle, gets a PC release...

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
Adding to that, the screen controller doesn't really add anything in my eyes. Everything that the second screen does has been done just as good if not better on single screen for years. Technically, this isn't even the first time Nintendo has tried this gimmick. Finally, holding it up, using it as a motion controller and drawing on it all sound more like a serious pain in the rear than any real fun. I see Sony trying to copy this and all I can say is 'why?' I saw serious potential in the original Wii, but this new one leaves me underwhelmed.

I really hope Rayman Legends, by some miracle, gets a PC release...

The Game Boy cable thing is the very reason I'm looking forward to the Wii U, as that Game Boy cable was a great annoyance for anyone who doesn't have several Advances. With these controllers a new Crystal Chronicles game could very well be possible, this time without the GBA cable issues.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »
re: Watchdogs

[04:38] <Choja> watchdogsssssssssssss
[04:38] <Choja> would be better as a puzzle strategy game where you make your target's death look like a malfunctionnnnnnnnnnn!
[04:38] <Choja> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
[04:38] <Choja> but noooooooo it's got guuuuuuuuns
[04:39] <Choja> Pretty much it took me a day to understand what konjak meant by "when the gun came out, I was a bit disappointed"
[04:39] <Choja> and then I realized what potential the hacking concept had
[04:40] <Choja> pretty much you could make city wide setups where you eliminate your target not by shooting them (boring) but by hacking them into an "accident" and getting them snuffed out
[04:40] <Choja> a clever trick and plan
[04:40] <Choja> but no it's got guns wow that's as smart as mud, protagonist
[04:41] <Choja> I mean, with that concept, you could even make a multiplayer game where one side protects the target and the other has to kill them and your group can separate and start thwarting the other team
[04:41] <Choja> and it's a massive mouse trap game
[04:41] <Choja> but no, it has guns.
[04:41] <Choja> so it's just "yawn GTA with hacking on the side how exciting"
[04:43] <Choja> I hate how such an exciting feature just goes and takes the backseat because status quo of needing things to be shot instead of being actually intelligent and stealthy (this is just me I am probably talking out my butt)

also yes I'm going to post iwata looking at bananas
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »
well that sure was a 3DS conference

I'm actually disappointed by the simple complete lack of ANY announcement during this timeframe (Though I'm still excite for the games shown)

but that might just be fire emblem fan bitterness talking

EDIT: HOLY SHIT major twitter accounts of gaming personalities are announcing that Reggie just told them we're getting Fire Emblem 13?
Like, we're talking IGN's executives and Kotaku bloggers and shit
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:17:19 AM by Garlyle »

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2012, 02:17:56 AM »
I dunno, I kinda lost my Paper Mario hype. Custom levelups replaced by "upgrade items" given out by NPCs? No partners? Badges and actions replaced with a cache of one use stickers, and a lottery that may or may not add actions to your turn? Hopefully I'm just overreacting but right now it sounds really meh :<

Also some IGN guy just tweeted about Reggie confirming FE13 so at least that's good news.

Edit: Welp got ninja'd :V

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »
I played some of the Wii U party games today.  The tablet controller feels nice, but it's annoying how everyone else has to play with a gimped Wiimote.

[attach=1]
I couldn't resist taking a pic of this.  ;u

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »
What I want to know is: why? Why is the general consensus that the Wii U tablet is terrible?
Bulky as shit, weird button placement, looks mad uncomfortable, the controller is underpowered(several devs reported having a lot of issues with the data transfer and what the controller can and can't display), the console itself is once again(this time even more so than the Wii) underpowered in favor of another marketing gimmick, and quite honestly anything it can do or add to the console experience, with proper software an already stable portable platform like a tablet could do much better- oh wait.

Yeah, the whole SmartGlass deal? I don't like it much, p sure I won't use it, but it's much more an integrating platform with a way wider range of possibilities than the WiiU thing.
WP7/Win8/Android/OSX compatible, meaning anything from shiny new iPads and Samsung tablets to chinese sweatshop generic ones will work with it, plus future full integration between devices with the commercial release of Windows 8, Microsoft's take on the near future of devices is way more established than a controller with a screen.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
well that sure was a 3DS conference

I'm actually disappointed by the simple complete lack of ANY announcement during this timeframe (Though I'm still excite for the games shown)

but that might just be fire emblem fan bitterness talking

EDIT: HOLY SHIT major twitter accounts of gaming personalities are announcing that Reggie just told them we're getting Fire Emblem 13?
Like, we're talking IGN's executives and Kotaku bloggers and shit
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with what happened, I was expecting an official word on FE13...But this made me restore my faith in Nintendo. :3c

I'm also looking forward NSMB2, the coin-collecting gimmick is gonna be overpowered but WHO CARES as long as we're having fun, right?! I just hope they don't use a shitty save system like the first game, that was my biggest turnoff from NSMB1. NSMB Wii is fun, but GOG DAMN is it hard. But I still want to play it. :V

I'm not sure what to say about Paper Mario, but it would be weird if we didn't have partners like the last game, but I'm sure they'll work it in somehow...Hey, maybe they can be stickers too, and instead of working like regular items they can be re-used and replaced or something. :S I don't know. But it's Paper Freaking Mario, and I've yet to see a terribad rendition of it.

Don't care much for Pokemon, Castlevania, Scribblenauts, Kingdom Hearts or the rest of the games, really. Not much interest there, but eh. Maybe my mind will change. I'm just happy there are more titles for the 3DS, it needs them badly.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2012, 02:08:32 PM »
FE Update: Nintendo Of America gives in after Reggie's slip and admits it: FE13 is coming
this is the only thing of relevance from E3 and I have only one thing to say:

YES

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
Bulky as shit, weird button placement, looks mad uncomfortable, the controller is underpowered(several devs reported having a lot of issues with the data transfer and what the controller can and can't display), the console itself is once again(this time even more so than the Wii) underpowered in favor of another marketing gimmick, and quite honestly anything it can do or add to the console experience, with proper software an already stable portable platform like a tablet could do much better- oh wait.

It's actually more powerful than the PS3 and 360 at the moment though.

Drake

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
It's actually more powerful than the PS3 and 360 at the moment though.
Which, like I said, doesn't mean a lot :|

Devs have already been pushing the limits of what the 360 and PS3 can do for a good while now, MS and Sony won't be able to hold onto to them much longer, and neither will Nintendo with 'slightly more powerful' hardware.
I can't see it taking longer than next year, 2014 at most for the other two to roll out new devices with 3 shitzillion cores and 2 ohgodbytes of memory, etc.
Seriously, when the 360 came out it was ahead of pretty much everything else hardware-wise, when the near-identical PS3 came out a year later, it was still quite powerful for the time. It's been 6 years though, there's absolutely no merit in the WiiU being 'more powerful' than 2006 powerful.

Every game right now that gets released for both the PC and consoles is either a horribly optimized port, or the console version is seriously dumbed down, or both. Devs just can't do it anymore, they're starting to crave for more juice, and the WiiU just doesn't have it. Especially when it comes to the controller.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:51:28 PM by HakureiSM »
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Power

• The power is within you. :D
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »
Well looks like this E3 kind of sucks.  All we got was games we already kind of knew we are gonna get like Mario and stuff.  I'm just waiting until the console like gets a price drop and stuff.  Already learned my lesson from Sony which I have to thank since from them I learn that better things come later and not at release date.  Yeah was E3 that bad?  I always thought E3 was a time to get hyped up and be happy.  Anyways looks like I'll just have to go for old video games since I don't see anything I'm really interested but maybe in the future when they drop the price and stuff. 

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
Is that from a Mario 64 alpha version or something, because I don't think that level exists :S

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 06:30:38 AM »
Is that from a Mario 64 alpha version or something, because I don't think that level exists :S
I'm pretty certain that's from a romhack (Maybe "Star Road"?) and is photoshopped
either way hahahahaha

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:00 AM »
This may shed some light on some things regarding E3 this year. Hopefully it answers some concerns regarding its general "eh".

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale