Author Topic: Amnesia - The Dark Descent EOSD Mod  (Read 17481 times)

MrBigz

• Rael
Amnesia - The Dark Descent EOSD Mod
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:14:39 AM »
So yeah. For awhile I've been in the process of making an Amnesia mod which would be a retold story of EOSD. For those that don't know, Amnesia is a horror game released by indie developers Frictional Games, and can be bought off of Steam. It is VERY scary. The cool thing about the game is that the devs released tools to create games with their engine; I've already made a custom story with it.

Here's an example of something I developed for it:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6922/gohei.jpg

Of course that wasn't the finished version, and it will (hopefully) have full physics. I had already created a full physics gohei as an object in the game which turned out very well and moved around realistically.

My question is, would anyone be interested in playing this type of game? Basically, it would still be the same type of game as Amnesia: a horror game, no weapons, full immersion experience type of game. And if I did make it, I would make a lot of things from scratch, including the SDM and high quality models of Touhou characters, plus many other things.

Also, if the game was developed, I plan on making a Japanese translation as well (and others if I can get people to translate), which is very easy with the Lang Editor for the game.

So yea, what's your guys opinion on this?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:19:43 AM by MrBigz »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Amnesia - The Dark Descent EOSD Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »
So yea, what's your guys opinion on this?
Oh my god oh my god oh my god :*

... well, given Amnesia's content, it's more like "oh my god oh my god oh my god :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:"

But still, that is... awesome. I've only ever played the demo (at Prof. Paul's behest), but I've heard nothing but good (terrified) things about the rest of the game. A Touhou version of it would naturally be great.

Blargel

• RAWR!
  • I'M AN ANGRY LOLI!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:21:14 AM »
I think it's a great idea, but it's a huge project to accomplish on your own. Amnesia was great at scaring the crap out of you and I loved it so seeing a Touhou version would be amazing. Just a suggestion though: a gohei implies that the main character is Reimu, who we all know can kick everyone's ass easily. It might be better to tell the story from the point of view of a normal human who got lost and ended up in the mansionor something, though I dunno how you would give a plausible excuse on being locked in the mansion.

Also, I'm too lazybusy to do anything productive at all these days, but I'm just wondering, are you planning to do all the 3D modeling, scripting/programming, story writing, and everything else by yourself? It's not likely for anyone here to volunteer to help out (someone prove me wrong please) since most people are busy doing their own things.

Whatever the case may be, I do hope you manage to finish. Horror Touhou game sounds fun.
<WorkingKeine> when i get home i just go to the ps3 and beat people up in blazblue with a loli
<Azure> Keine: Danmakufu helper by day, violent loli by night.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
I only played the demo, and wasn't terribly impressed, but this sounds very intriguing. :3 You have my support.

Also, Blargel has a good point about making Reimu the main character. May I suggest instead Akyu? Her ability would work interestingly with the whole "memory loss" concept.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:02:47 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Drake

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »
fill the screens with violent yukkuri, player shits bricks

anyways why did you post on /jp/ expecting actual feedback

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
An Amnesia-based game set in the Scarlet Devil Mansion? There BETTER be an appearance by Flandre or Rumia. If there is, I'd buy Amnesia just for that.

To agree with Blargel, the gohei and implications that Reimu is the main character implies that could be some degree of asskicking should she encounter any enemies. To disagree from Blargel, some fanfiction writers have made Touhou stories where the human characters are vastly weaker than the youkai (Usually Dead comes to mind), so it could still work. The main idea is to either make the youkai stronger or make the humans weaker; whatever makes it so Reimu (or whatever character) cannot plausibly fight back.
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
Nah, definitely didn't expect real feedback, I'm just trying to get the idea around.

As for the Reimu thing, basically this would be the story. It's an alternate version of EOSD. Remilia lets out the red mist, and Reimu goes to investigate. But before she gets there, something happens; Remi turns into a horrendous monster, for reasons I'll make up in the future, possibly a side effect of the red mist she didn't know about? Anyway, she goes rampant on the mansion, and Reimu finds out when she gets there. So the story is that she goes around the mansion, evading Remilia (her transformation made her immune to danmaku I guess) trying to find a way to revert her to her old self. At the end, when she's successful, I plan to put in a danmaku battle between them.

http://imageshack.us/m/402/6807/rsxyfpw.png

This is just concept art, definitely not final.

And yes, I do plan for Reimu having to go in the basement, hint hint wink wink. :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:20:50 AM by MrBigz »

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Yeah, that looks too "cute" to be final artwork. Needs more creepy.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Youkai of Tea

• Faith and Tea.
  • And TeaFairies.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
I really like this idea, but one thing bothers me: Why the SDM?

If the game is already set in Gensokyo, why not go for an eastern theme instead?
Add some realistic Youkai resembling certain characters and you have a mod that might even interest people that don't already know Touhou.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
Its a mod made in the style of EoSD. Where else is it going to take place?
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »
Yeah, plus, what could be scarier than the mansion? Other than the Netherworld, if this game goes well a game based off of PCB would be nice :D But I'm definitely not gonna get ahead of myself here.

Oh, and yeah, I have planned on doing this by myself. It's really not that hard with the tools that Frictional Games provides. Of course, it would still take quite some time, I'm hoping to get it done by the end of the summer but it would probably take a month or two longer than that.

That being said, if I had help it would go a lot quicker. At the same time, I sort of wanted to do this by myself since its more rewarding that way. But if anyone is interested in helping, definitely tell me.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
I'd definitely play this, and that Remilia is suitably disturbing as hell.

Given your apparent skillset, the only problem I see is accurately replicating the mansion in a suitably 'creepy' way that won't break immersion, which was Amnesia's greatest attribute.

If you need beta testers or someone to help with writing, I could dothat.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Yeah, plus, what could be scarier than the mansion?

The mausoleum that appears to be the setting for the full version of Ten Desires? :P Well, it's your project, and it'll be something if it's completed period (not to be discouraging, I'm just saying that many of these ambitious projects don't get finished).
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
Yeah I know a lot of those types of projects don't get finished.

I haven't played Ten Desires yet, I hate demos and I'm trying not to find out anything about it til its released. D:

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
Also, here's some examples of work I've already done with the game.

The enemy grunt in the game, which I converted from an enemy into an object with full physics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84k0O8fPFMo&feature=related

A test monster I created to make sure animations would work properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-pyBorzPc&feature=related

The ending for my first small custom story, complete with end cutscene. And this was a very bare-bones work too; I didn't put much effort into it as it was mainly just a few test maps that I decided to turn into a story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52p3GKNaINE
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:45:22 PM by MrBigz »

Milkyway64

• I AM A MAD SCIENTIST. KIND OF.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »
This is... actually a really cool idea if it can be pulled off right and you actually manage to have the dedication for it.

Your links in the above post are good, too. Shows that you may actually have what it takes rather than just a cool idea that'll turn into vapor ware because you don't actually know what you're doing. I'll be watching this.

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:24:21 PM »
I agree, you got what it takes.

It might just be my laptop but the third video, of your finale, is really dark. I figure I'd just fall off and the whole thing would be an exercise of frustration rather than fear; can barely see the beams in front of you sometimes.

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
Yeah, I went through it without the lantern. And the beams look small, but I added invisible masses to the sides of it for support, since people said it was too hard to do. D:

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
This one has some serious potential to it. I wish you luck in pulling this one off.

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
I love Amnesia and I'm sure this mod will be awesome. I really want to see how this ends up like.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
Thread moved because it is not a self-created touhou game or danmakufu related.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 08:16:53 AM »
 :] :] :] Oh man, yes please!! This will be so epic!!!!
(I'm scared  :ohdear:)

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 04:54:07 AM »
I was skeptic at first, but my doubts were cleared after seeing what you can do. Seems like something to look forward to. Good luck!

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
I'm still working out some issues with choppy animations when exporting from Maya, but I'll be starting really soon. I'll make sure to post a SS of the SDM. =D

Beef Owl

• Why yes, owls do yield beef:
  • It is known as The Strongest White Meat
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
Haha, wow, not something I expected to see, but seeing all of your test videos this looks pretty promising- I'm not so sure that theming Amnesia is entirely possible, considering most of the point of the game was being faced with an unknown and intangible threat...

Although, I think it'll be very cool if you progress through the familiar bits of the SDM (the library, the huge main hall, the balcony or whatever where Remi is) on your way to the basement (er, Inner Sanctum :V) to meet Flan-

I'm looking forward to seeing how your character models/textures come out :)

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 05:49:07 AM »
This looks promising. I am super excited for this and to see how it all turns out. Flandre would make a much better "final boss" than Alexander haha. I would love to get to play this~

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
I haven't quite started in development yet, I've been reading a Maya textbook and practicing my modelling. I want to make sure everything is perfect for this, but I do promise that this will be done. :3

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 05:51:23 AM »
Tried out any new models?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

MrBigz

• Rael
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
I'm making them myself so there's nothing to try out yet. o.o

The only thing I made was that gohei, and a fountain for the front courtyard that someone made up for me. The first thing I'm going to be doing is the SDM, hopefully similar in quality to this one, but bigger, and textured lol.

http://www.tconx.net/portfolio/sdm/sdm_003.jpg

I've had some reference images that I plan to use. I'll probably model it as a sort of practice exercise while I'm reading this textbook. It won't look quite like the one I linked though, I think I'm going to extend it around the courtyard to the gates. I'm also going to put 4 corner towers and the main clock tower, with bridges connecting them, which Reimu will go to later on in the game. The red mist will separate it from the ground part, so you won't be able to tell just how high the mansion goes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:27:23 AM by MrBigz »

OtakuGray

• It's time to D-D-D-DANMAKU!
  • When you lose your way, you can blame the fairies
    • BecauselmGray - AMVs, Replays, Etc...
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »
This looks super badass  :o :o :o

I would totally play this when it comes out o_o It looks like its going to be amazing!