Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 8 - :ohdear: Edition - TSO  (Read 93057 times)

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 8 - :ohdear: Edition - TSO
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2011, 05:22:21 AM »
Your opinion on today's popular music?

Hot or cold weather?

Your favorite DoW/Starcraft unit?

The fastest you've ever gone in a car?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2011, 05:57:11 AM »
What is the worst job you've ever done?

Have you read anything by Terry Pratchett?  If so, which is your favorite?  If not, what is the absolute soonest you can pick up a copy of Guards! Guards!, because it's the first Vimes book and Vimes is possibly the best fictional character in existence?

You mispelled Moist von Limpwick. How embarrassing for you!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
How do you deal with a mouth ulcera?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
I've never read any Pratchett books.  I've been seriously considering an ebook reader of some sort so I'll definitely put it on my list.

Get the nook, it's the better choice of the three big names out there (Sony Reader, Barnes & Noble Nook, and the Amazon Kindle)

Then you can ride my case about finishing up the conversions of the KGB stories! \o/

Following up on the RTS question, what's your opinion of MBA - or Multiplayer Battle Arena - style games, mostly common of which is Defenders of the Ancients/Shrine? Do they hold your interest at all, or is that style of PvP not your forte/cup of tea?

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:13 AM »
Favourite food?

Favourite beverage?

Faith is for the Transient people?

Sith or Jedi?

Marvel or DC?

If one synchronized swimmer dances will the rest dance too?

What do you hold dearest to you?

Anonymous or Sony?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
Hei x Yin or Hei x Amber or Hei x Suou and why?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »
Anyways, why Zerg? Out of all the races, why that?

Because Zerg is the most epic SC race ever. Don't question it.

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
Because Zerg is the most epic SC race ever. Don't question it.

NO

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Do you prefer to look for long term relationships, or just dating around?

Have you ever been to a nuclear reactor complex?

Do you think we'll see a colony on the moon/Mars in our lifetime?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Gramity

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »
is there any other carreer you would love to do as much as nuclear medecine ? (don't say normal medecine  :V )

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:07 AM »
NO
YES. ZERG. BANELINGS. ROACHES. AND ALL THAT STUFF.
Spoiler:
But really, why Zerg?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:57:12 PM by Biohazard »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
What is your favourite drink?

What is your commute like?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »
Are you a good swimmer? If so, do you enjoy swimming?
I greatly enjoy swimming.  I am pretty decent at it although I've never been really fast at it :derp:

Would you prefer a pool, a stream, or the beach for swimmins'?
I've actually never swam in a stream or a lake before.  I've lived on countless beaches of course and pools and stuff and I could say they both have their pluses and minuses.

I feel that I should ask this follow-up: How far have you gotten in math when you were still in school? (Or at least your history of math courses.)
Linear algebra was as far as I got.

As someone who plays a lot of RTS games, have you touched the Command & Conquer series? What regard do you hold it in compared to say, the original Starcraft or TA?
I've never really actually played the CnC series.  None of my friends were into it growing up so we never really gave it a shot.  I still hold TA in high regards but I'll admit Starcraft has become the superior game competition wise.  I think TA has the deeper gameplay though, it's just hard to balance 2 races without making them exactly the same.

What's your opinion on Supreme Commander? Do you consider it to be a worthy successor to TA?
I loved it.  I definitely consider it a worthy successor.  While it had some flaws, I think it captured the feel of the original game very well.  It definitely solidified the core gameplay while providing a much better framework to balance around.  I still think it has the best UI of any game, period.  While each race wasn't terribly unique, they still had enough flavor to make them distinct.

Would I be right to assume that A's is your favorite part of the Nanoha series?
Very much so, and Hayate my favorite character.

Anyways, why Zerg? Out of all the races, why that?
It's a seat of your pants race.  I don't like being pigeonholed into specific build orders or unit compositions.  Plus it's the most macro oriented of the 3 races.  The biggest thing I never really liked about Starcraft was having to babysit your units.  I far preferred to be the general watching the field and giving the big sweeping orders, not telling each individual soldier how to breathe.  Hence why I ended up getting far more attached to TA and SupCom than Starcraft.  But Zerg let me be that.  From my hive I commanded the swarm, and wave after wave of my creations pound against enemy emplacements and overwhelm.  I enjoy it immensely.

Do you use an infrared mouse? If so, what is it?
I use a Logitech G9 at work, and on my desktop I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.

What do you think is your most favorite food in the Philippines?
Adobo chicken, yum yum yum <3

Your opinion on today's popular music?
I never have and probably never will enjoy American pop music.  I'm just not a fan of hiphop/r&b.  Jpop is a bit of a different story, but that's mostly because Jpop tends to be influenced by trance and other electronica (well at least the acts I enjoy).

Hot or cold weather?
Mild weather.  I can tolerate both extremes, but I only really "enjoy" cold weather when there's snow on the ground, and hot weather when it's a dry heat and not muggy as fuck D:

Your favorite DoW/Starcraft unit?
For DoW2, Stormboys.  I too, wish to be an insane ork who straps a rocket to their back just to punch things.  Second would have to be the motherfucking Swarmlord, because the dude's a pimp and he knows it.  Starcraft probably banelings, simply because the speed upgrade makes them so goofy.  I always shout BANELINGS, TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT before I attack with them.

The fastest you've ever gone in a car?
I live in the middle of nowhere so the road to my house has some decent straightaways with noone around to bother me.  I routinely test to see how fast I can push what I'm driving.  I think the fastest I've ever gone is around 115mph or so in my mom's Impala.  I couldn't go higher because it had a rev limiter.

What is the worst job you've ever done?
I had a one day temp gig working at a Scotts warehouse.  My job was to take expired/damaged bags of fertilizer, open them up, and dump them into big bins.  I'm fairly sure I lost about 6 months off my lifespan that day, my lungs were burning (they didn't provide breathing protection beyond basic dust masks and it was like 90 degrees in there) and I was covered in yellow caustic dust.  I threw out my clothes and I never really got all the gunk out of my cellphone.

How do you deal with a mouth ulcera?
Oh god I have a medical condition that gives me those constantly.  I had one last week near my gums that was so bad I couldn't brush my teeth without horrible pain.

Get the nook, it's the better choice of the three big names out there (Sony Reader, Barnes & Noble Nook, and the Amazon Kindle)

Then you can ride my case about finishing up the conversions of the KGB stories! \o/
My mom has a Nook (got it for her for Christmas) and while it seems nice, I'm not entirely sold on it.  The Kindle looks a bit nicer, but I'm holding out for a full tablet like the HP TouchPad at the moment.  As for the KGB thing, I'm already working on the ability to convert threads into arbitrary formats (including PDF/EPUB), but that's way down on my list of things to do.

Following up on the RTS question, what's your opinion of MBA - or Multiplayer Battle Arena - style games, mostly common of which is Defenders of the Ancients/Shrine? Do they hold your interest at all, or is that style of PvP not your forte/cup of tea?
I don't really care for them because there's too little to control.  It's literally just your hero, no control over the creep waves and stuff.  I like DoW2 because it's that same style of tactical play with minimal econ/base building, but with far more units to control.  I just think the tactical ceiling is too low on DotA and its clones, it's more akin to a beat em up than any sort of strategy game.  That being said I've honestly not played them beyond 1 or 2 games of DotA.  DoW2 just sucks up way too much of my time :V

Favourite food?

Favourite beverage?

Faith is for the Transient people?

Sith or Jedi?

Marvel or DC?

If one synchronized swimmer dances will the rest dance too?

What do you hold dearest to you?

Anonymous or Sony?
Anything that died for my meal, water mostly but I love bawls cherry, faith is what you make of it, sith got cooler toys and at least don't pretend like they're not assholes, mahvel baby, if a tree falls in the forest is Cirno still dumb, right now my hands, and I can't decide who I despise more.

Hei x Yin or Hei x Amber or Hei x Suou and why?
Something's wrong with your keyboard, you misspelled Yin x Suou.

Do you prefer to look for long term relationships, or just dating around?
I dunno, I don't have much of an interest in a love life right now given my current life status.  I am interested in meeting new people sure, especially for long term friendships.  But right now I have well, a nonexistant drive for anything beyond being a friend if you get my drift.

Have you ever been to a nuclear reactor complex?
No, and it sucks because I lived literally 20 minutes from one in Maryland (Calvert Cliffs) and then 9/11 happened and there will never be visitation access to nuclear plants ever again.

Do you think we'll see a colony on the moon/Mars in our lifetime?
I think so.  Maybe not in the next 10-20 years, but eventually we'll have to reach out to the stars.  It's an inevitability.

is there any other carreer you would love to do as much as nuclear medecine ? (don't say normal medecine  :V )
What I would want to do the most?  Ballet actually.  I've wanted to be a ballerina since I was a toddler but unfortunately I wasn't permitted to take ballet growing up :(.  Second would be working in theater, either as an actor or in the pit orchestra as a musician.

For sciences, astrophysics and biochemstry are the two other fields I'd want to get into (and have actually studied in).  Music teaching would be a great job for me as well.  Another ideal job of mine is audio/acoustic engineering, either being one of the sound effect guys in movies or working sound stuff for concerts/recording studios.  And of course filmography, specifically camera work.

What is your favourite drink?
I <3 <3 <3 banana or strawberry shakes.  I'm not a big pop drinker but I love sugar cane sodas, especially strawberry or cherry flavored ones.  I don't drink alcohol except maybe once or twice a year at most but when I do I like gin and tonics.

What is your commute like?
Boring and long.  Driving nothing but country roads.  It's beautiful at times but that's not really on my mind at 6am in the morning :b

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2011, 02:52:21 PM »
Oh god I have a medical condition that gives me those constantly.  I had one last week near my gums that was so bad I couldn't brush my teeth without horrible pain.
ow ow ow ow :ohdear:
                                                                                   .

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
What advice would you give to a person who wants to change genders?

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »

So far, no teeth been interviewed. When can we expect this to happen?

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 03:32:12 PM »
What is your favorite movie? Favorite book?

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
What if you were to just Sauron Zerg a well established Terran base? You'd technically lose resources trying to defeat an undefeatable defense. Sometimes micromanagement is needed to win such games.

Where do you live?

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Gramity

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Sprin has arrived and summer will someday :)

do you have any plan for summer ?

any activities outdoor ?

Ice cream ?  :D

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
Source on your sig?

How good are you at cooking?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
Nee, nee!  Miku-chan!  Miku-chan!  Sing us a song~

I have teeth.  Sharp ones, even.  =<

TSO:  How're you doing with your exercise regimen?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:18:41 PM by Momiji »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »
What advice would you give to a person who wants to change genders?
Make sure you are absolutely sure this is what you want.  While I don't think there's any "bad" reason to do it, do realize that it's not going to be easy by a long shot.  While I'm fairly sure I was "born" this way, I don't get hung up on the choice vs birth argument because does it really matter?  If someone chooses to change genders it's their choice, regardless of their reasons or if they were "born" that way. 

Keep your composure and your confidence.  People will come for you and try to tear you down and best thing you can do is to prove them wrong and persevere despite the challenges.  And above all, surround yourself with people who support and love you for who you are.  It's going to get lonely, be prepared to lose everything you may have had in your past life (I'm fully prepared and almost expectant I'm going to get disowned by my family).  Your happiness is worth more than their comfort, trust me, I thought I could just live a lie to save my parents and my family the embarrassment and in the end it just made me miserable.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Don't make me bite you >:F

What is your favorite movie? Favorite book?
Oh I have so many "favorite" movies for different reasons.  Probably the one that sticks out the most is Monsters Inc.  I love every joke in it and I always cry at the ending sequence.  I love pretty much every Tarantino and Rodriguez flick, and the 80/90s action moves like Robocop and Total Recall and Die Hard.  I'm also a sucker for chick flicks and romantic comedies although recent ones have been pretty awful.  I have a very wide and varied movie taste.

As for favorite book, hmm.  I'd probably have to say "A Brief History of Time".  I think Hawking is one of the foremost minds of our time, if not the most brilliant person alive.  Both him and Carl Sagan are directly responsible for my absolute adoration of space and of science in general.

What if you were to just Sauron Zerg a well established Terran base? You'd technically lose resources trying to defeat an undefeatable defense. Sometimes micromanagement is needed to win such games.
One, you never let Terran get to that point.  Sauron Zerg is just a style of hoarding up upgrades and preferring expansion play over timing attacks to assert map control.  Sauron Zerg has never truly been bested in terms of straight tactics, all counters to it revolve around the concept of delaying the Zerg from turning its macro machine up to 11 and giving you some breathing room to catch up.  Endgame still favors Zerg heavily, even with the most entrenched of opponents.  I think a big reason why Jaedong consistently loses to Flash is more because Flash is just a better macro player than Jaedong.  Flash has won with some very bizarre builds (all Goliath +1 timing attack?!), and I think that's more a testament of Flash's superior mechanics than any superior build.

Two, the micromanagement required to crack such bases is pretty minimal, dark swarm usage and muta harass isn't exactly anywhere near on the level of marine/medic splitting vs lurkers or reaver/shuttle micro or hell, just proper storm usage.  Deathdrops are something that almost every Terran (excluding Flash) has dismal success dealing with.  And it's still far more important for you to keep up your massive macro, even to the detriment of your micro.  Plus I'm not exactly uncomfortable with micro.  I play DoW2 which has far deeper micro than Starcraft ever will, Starcraft just has more going on overall hence the higher APM requirement.

Where do you live?
Ohayo :|

Sprin has arrived and summer will someday :)

do you have any plan for summer ?
Otakon :O!  Possibly going to MLG Columbus.  Taking a long break and just travelling and exploring before starting work/school up again (I hope ;____;)

any activities outdoor ?
I always enjoy summer, I'll definitely do outdoorsy things like swimming and hiking and stuff like that.  I'm not that much of a cave dweller :b

Ice cream ?  :D
I don't eat ice cream often, but when I do I prefer to eat it off the back of naked lolis </dos equis>

Source on your sig?
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/823739/assassin_-ragnarok_online-elbow_gloves-gloves-gree

How good are you at cooking?
Not very :(.  I want to learn how to cook but I never get the opportunity to ><;

Nee, nee!  Miku-chan!  Miku-chan!  Sing us a song~
I can sing, but I'm horribly embarrassed by my voice ><

TSO:  How're you doing with your exercise regimen?
Not so well, it's been miserable weather and I just don't have the energy when I get home most of the time to do it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:39:00 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
Haha, don't get me started on Flash. He's called a robot for a reason. Maphacks, even. The Goliath +1 timing is actually pretty easy to counter for Zerg if you ask me, it's just that Jaedong relies on his Mutalisks more, that's why he gets annihiliated every time because Gol can beat Mutas any time. He's also a macro beast. It's like, he only wants to build one Goliath, but the game decides to give him 5.

With regards to micro, I find Zerg to be one of the least dependent on it. In fact, if you want to be a bit laid back, just waypoint units to the enemy base, take care of the production. But in some early games of Zerg, where you need to pressure your opponent with zerglings, it's very well needed. The miniscule health of Zerglings means that they will be torn up if just charged on straight. Surround a ball with zerglings, though, and maybe they might just win.

Take Slayers_Boxer, for example. In his prime, he could do a lot with a group of Marines with +1 and 6 medics to a Zerg expansion. Splitting them up to defeat Lurkers, using one marine to bait the other fire, all while harassing a Zerg expansion. In the end, when that MnM army gets wiped out, what is the tradeoff? With such micro, you can turn battles around like a breeze.

It's just people's opinion, though. Nobody is perfect in terms of Micro and Macro, and it's impossible to be a master of the two at the same time. I just say that Micro is a very important part in RTS, that's all.

BACK TO THE QUESTIONS: Are you in a clan in DoW2? Do you feel good when gamers find out a girl is better than them?

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
Haha, don't get me started on Flash. He's called a robot for a reason. Maphacks, even. The Goliath +1 timing is actually pretty easy to counter for Zerg if you ask me, it's just that Jaedong relies on his Mutalisks more, that's why he gets annihiliated every time because Gol can beat Mutas any time. He's also a macro beast. It's like, he only wants to build one Goliath, but the game decides to give him 5.
Exactly, the +1 timing is extremely weak to lurkerling or even hydraling (since you don't have the tank numbers to counter hydras), but Flash knew that Jaedong is too reliant on muta harass.  As much as I like Jaedong, he's nowhere near the strategic geniuses July and Savior were.

With regards to micro, I find Zerg to be one of the least dependent on it. In fact, if you want to be a bit laid back, just waypoint units to the enemy base, take care of the production. But in some early games of Zerg, where you need to pressure your opponent with zerglings, it's very well needed. The miniscule health of Zerglings means that they will be torn up if just charged on straight. Surround a ball with zerglings, though, and maybe they might just win.
Well yeah, but at that stage of the game you can afford the attention to micro.  Once the game gets past the early state though give it up, microing as Zerg has far fewer returns as the other races.

Take Slayers_Boxer, for example. In his prime, he could do a lot with a group of Marines with +1 and 6 medics to a Zerg expansion. Splitting them up to defeat Lurkers, using one marine to bait the other fire, all while harassing a Zerg expansion. In the end, when that MnM army gets wiped out, what is the tradeoff? With such micro, you can turn battles around like a breeze.
And yes, in the early stages of the sport, you could win with superior micro.  But look what happened when macro-oriented players started getting into the groove.  Micro players were left in the dust.

It's just people's opinion, though. Nobody is perfect in terms of Micro and Macro, and it's impossible to be a master of the two at the same time. I just say that Micro is a very important part in RTS, that's all.
Oh I agree, above all it's a balance of time and attention.  The different races give different returns to micro and macro play.  I just prefer macro hence why I went Zerg.  Plus zerglings are cute <3

BACK TO THE QUESTIONS: Are you in a clan in DoW2? Do you feel good when gamers find out a girl is better than them?
Nope, not in a clan.  Just played with the same 2 buddies since the game came out.  I'm a strategy specialist on Gamereplays.org (although retired now).  As for "a girl beat them" I don't exactly tell them.  My RL friends don't exactly know about me and my situation and I'm not the type to brag as it is anyways :<

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
Your reactions to this?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Wanna go to Otakon together?

What's the biggest risk you've ever taken?

Fan of any sci-fi series? If so, which ones?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
What is one positive, personal quality of your personality that others often comment on?

Do you have a favorite musical key signature and/or favorite musical mode?

Do you think Zachary Taylor is a pretty cool guy?

Gramity

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »
Otakon :) I'll may be one of the staff there ;)

did you watched Nanoha movie #1 was it good ?

cosplay ?

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
Banelings or roaches?
Disregarding zlings as they are the best.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:25 AM »
Best south american animal?
                                                                                   .