Author Topic: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy  (Read 54678 times)

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
Re: Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »
Everyone's asked all the good questions...

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »
Do you ever brush your mustache.
How many hats do you own.
What would you have been like, if you weren't married atm.

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
Speaking of years, anything big happen in 1992, perferably around the 4th of it.  That may be my birthday

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Ask A Middle-Aged Guy
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
I'll be answering all this, and anything else, in about 3 hours - running errands.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 06:36:40 PM »
What errands are you running?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 06:37:37 PM »
God why are you such a procrastinator you're supposed to be a role model man

I trusted you. ;~;
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
can you teach me how to do sweet ollies?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
Can you teach Slaves to grow older?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Get a beard, glue hair onto every part of your body, hide a pillow under your shirt, and shave your heard. Congrats, you're now the stereotypical american, aka Homer.

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
And the first thing she did when she was born was lay on her mom's belly and crap all over the place.

At least you can't say that your kid doesn't give a crap about her parents.

How do you manage your shapeshifting? Is it cosmetic surgery, superpowers from an accident with a radioactive amoeba, blood magic, prayers to Shiva, or something else entirely?

And why do you look like my father when you're shaved? Especially that part about looking like my father when he's not shaved.

How does it feel like being Tony Hawk, and having your own skateboarding game that was awesome back in the day.

Especially the third one.

I don't really have any good serious questions to ask, soo...

Why is it so bad if I'm on your lawn?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 07:36:45 PM »
What are the most important books you've ever read?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »
It's Iceland.  They probably have to get food for their pet volcano.

This summer I hope!
OH MAN!  o/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:55:32 PM by Momiji »

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »
It's Iceland.  They probably have to get food for their pet volcano.

Going off of that: Do you own a pet volcano? If so, how much care does it require/how big of a safety hazard is it?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
Is it true that inhabitants of Iceland are universally cannibals? Because I heard that steam cooking other people (or even oneself!) is a common pastime there...
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:59 PM »
I totally stole your topic and drank all your beer, is that cool brah? BV

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Dammit, I was thinking of doing one myself, but now I'll look like I'm double-copying.

Oh well. I'll just have to get some bleach and rags.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
Dammit, I was thinking of doing one myself, but now I'll look like I'm double-copying.

Oh well. I'll just have to get some bleach and rags.
Don't.

Last time this happened, we had an inflation of these topics because everyone wanted to make one and then nobody had any questions anymore.

Personally, I think more than one at a time is already overkill.  :derp:

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
Don't.

Last time this happened, we had an inflation of these topics because everyone wanted to make one and then nobody had any questions anymore.

It's a fun gimmick and I like to make ironic copies of threads, unironically of course.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Don't.

Exactly my point. Just said more seriously.

On topic, I thought of another question. How is living on your own compared to living with other people?

Matsuri

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
If you could give one serious bit of advice to us youngsters, what would it be?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
Does he look like a bitch?

HOw did you manage to get out of America? I kinda want to do the same, real bad.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »
Which is better, fish or imported honey?

Tengukami

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:43 PM »
On a scale of one to ten, how dangerous is your hip-hop?

Theoretical mathematicians have yet to conceive a number great enough to rank just how dangerous my hip-hop is.

What should I LP next?

Hm ... I'm gonna say Fallout New Vegas, because I really want that game bad. Your LP would be the next best thing.

Should I give Linux a try again. Also, Should I buy a new mic?

Almost all Linux distros are free, and many of them come with LiveCDs (or even better, LiveUSBs) for you to try them out without having to install them, so you really have nothing to lose. I recommend either Linux Mint, Ubuntu or Mandriva - all fairly straight-forward, easy and out-of-the-box distros. As for a new mic, I dunno, you sounded fine on Skype the other night.

At what age do the male hormones release control of the brain's speech function so that I can talk to them again without worry of a perverted retort  :derp:

Oh, and do you have any major regrets in life/things you would go back and change?

I have good news and bad news. The good news is, most guys stop doing this sometime during or after college, or whenever they realize this behavior won't get them laid. The bad news is, they're still thinking it.

No, seriously, every guy's different. There are a few guys who won't perv out on you, who will listen actively, and aren't gay. They're hard to find, but they do exist.

As far as regrets go ... yeah, I have one or two. I wish I'd been more responsible in my 20s; would've made my life both more stable and more enjoyable. Any other regrets I have are all related to relationships.

Have you ever once regretted having a child, or went through some other circumstance where you were just wrecked with grief regarding said child?

I've never regretted being a father. Not once. I think the most heartbreaking thing I had to endure about her was when she was diagnosed with a cognitive disability. Fortunately it's mild, and we caught it early. She's learning now by leaps and bounds and is a lot more social.

How do you react when your child is acting up in public?

I turn away, pretend to be busy with something else, and when I hear the screams subside a little, I turn to her and ask, "Are you done?". If she is, we move on. If she isn't, I go back to pretending to do something else. Maybe it annoys other people in the short run - and there are times I've had to take her the hell out of a building - but in the long run it'll put an end to the behavior. No reinforcement means no incentive.

How do you manage your shapeshifting? Is it cosmetic surgery, superpowers from an accident with a radioactive amoeba, blood magic, prayers to Shiva, or something else entirely?

After visiting Kaguya in her mansion and regaling her with my rapier wit and delightful anecdotes, she gave me a diluted version of a Hourai Elixir. It doesn't make you immortal, but you can change how old you look at will. Tasted sorta like ginger ale.

What are your sentiments regarding a routine?

I love routines! That one routine that George Lopez does about how every time he mows his lawn, people walk up and ask him how much he charges? Hilarious!

Did you expect to ever be a father? Also, how many children did you expect to have? Would you want more?

Also, why'd you move to Iceland?

I've wanted to be a father since I was 16 years old, and I imagined I would have exactly one girl. Which is what I have. Don't think I want anymore right now. I moved to Iceland because I came here on vacation, on a whim, made some friends, was bored with Baltimore, and decided to give it a shot. That was in 1999. It's been working out alright.

How is it being a parent? Do you ever worry that you're messing up your child somehow? Have you ever had issues of disrespect, and if so, how do you handle them?

Being a parent is the most wonderful, terrifying, joyful and stressful experience I've ever had. And yeah, I worry all the time that I'm not a good father. On the up side, she's a good kid, and hasn't been "disrespectful" all that much, except when she wants something and I tell her no. But she gets over it.

How many grey hairs have you had?

Does death gradually become more of a pressing fear the older you get?

I got gray a-creepin' up the sides of my head. It looks pretty damn sexy, if I do say so myself. And actually, I've come to fear death less now than I did when I was an angsty, brooding teenager. I don't think about The End; I'm too busy enjoying living.

What has been the hardest thing you've ever had to do?

What a question. Probably leaving home for the first time. If you don't have a plan, like I didn't, it's an incredible challenge. I'd recommend having a pretty clear idea about where you're going and how you're going to support yourself if you ever move out.

How did you meet your daughter's mother, and how did you decide to get married and have a child together?

What was the most important experience of your life so far?

What's the secret to happiness (or rather, the secret to avoiding depression, cynicism, etc.)?

Where did you see your friends and yourself 20 years ago, and how does it line up with what you are now?

Have you ever been at a crossroads where you didn't know what to do, and where did you go?

I met her hitch-hiking around Iceland. She was working at a hotel I stayed in, and we started dating. A few months later, we got married. A couple years after that, we had our child. Yeah, we got married fast. Don't recommend it.

The most important experience of my life so far, apart from becoming a father, has been deciding what I really want to do with my life. It's a big decision, and pretty much defines who you are and what choices you'll make.

I have no idea what the secret to happiness is. If you find out before I do, please tell me.

Man, 20 years ago I thought I'd be a famous writer by now with my adopted daughter, living in some American city, probably single. Today, I do write for a living, I am single, and I do have a daughter, but that's about all that's matched up.

Every turn in my life has been a crossroads. My choices are made with a mixture of logic and intuition. But mostly intuition. This is because you can rationalize anything to make sense logically - you're going to follow your gut in the end anyway, you might as well do it from the start.

How does it feel like being Tony Hawk, and having your own skateboarding game that was awesome back in the day.

Feels good man.

What were the highlights and lowlights of the classic rock phase for you?

Highlights: Discovering early Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, the Doors and Black Sabbath.
Lowlights: When surviving members of these bands made cynical and pathetic attempts to cash in with reunion tours.

Now that you have a daughter, do you think you'll have a girlfriend/wife in the future?

Do you think this could damage the relationship between father and daughter?

I think I'll probably have a girlfriend in the future, but I don't know if I'll ever marry again. I don't think this would damage my relationship with my daughter. I'm going to continue to be good to her, and always be there for her. I'm still the same dad, and always will be.

What the fuck are you doing on a forum full of young people you pedo  >:(

How did you gnaw through your duct tape? I have to remember to use nylon cord next time.

What do you think is wiser for a young person: trying to put as much effort as possible in activities that are considered to be beneficial in future (university, etc), even if it means having pretty much no social life and no time for oneself, or trying to enjoy one's life, even if it somewhat hampers the aforementioned studies? Especially considering how fragile human life is.

I'd say the wisest move is a balance of these two. Of course it's important to work to secure your future and make a stable life for yourself, but life was also meant to be lived. Don't let studying get in the way of getting out and exploring, making mistakes, breaking hearts, getting your heart broken, have fun, and making friends.

Does your wife like touhou like you?

Will you show touhou to your kids?

She only likes the H-doujins. My daughter has seen Touhou The Game and doesn't care for it, but she loves the IOSYS Flash videos.

What were the seventies like? :V

The 70s were weird. The whole country had come down off of this tremendous high of the 60s - all their high hopes and dreams of starting a cultural revolution were crushed by Nixon and Watergate, and the death of some 60s idols. But the music was great, the clothes were hilarious, and the hair was amazing.

More to come!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:58:32 PM by Dangerous Hip-Hop Crow »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
No reinforcement means no incentive
Have I told you ilu yet?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

You?ve got to be kidding me. I?ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It?s just common sense.

Do you ever brush your mustache.
How many hats do you own.
What would you have been like, if you weren't married atm.

I shaved. Not growing it back.
I have exactly two hats.
Not married anymore. If I'd skipped that part, I'd probably be a single dad anyway, so yeah. Guess it worked out in the end.

Speaking of years, anything big happen in 1992, perferably around the 4th of it.  That may be my birthday

The fourth what? Month? Day? Clinton was voted president. That was pretty big, after 12 years of the Reagan Dynasty. Also, grunge officially killed spandex metal that year. Which was also pretty sweet.

I was just boppin' around downtown with my daughter. I have her Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and every other weekend.

God why are you such a procrastinator you're supposed to be a role model man

I trusted you. ;~;

Procrastination has always worked for me. There's a great explanation as to why this is. I'll tell you later.

You bet I can, sport! Can you teach me how to draw above a 3-year-old level?

Yeah, uh, about that. Slaves can't age. He's like Gary Coleman, only not running for governor of California.

Why is it so bad if I'm on your lawn?

Good question! I don't know. I hear other old people say this all the time and I'm like, why not? The more the merrier. Party on my lawn. Stomp the shit outta that bitch.

What are the most important books you've ever read?

Wow. Let me see ...

The Complete Works Of Edgar Allan Poe
The Catcher In The Rye
The Bell Jar
Cities Of The Red Night
One Hundred Years Of Solitude
The Broom Of The System
The Illuminati Trilogy
The God Of Small Things
Independent People
Sputnik Sweetheart
Bad Behavior
The Diving Pool
The Things They Carried
Madness Visible: A Memoir Of War
Rogue Nation
A People's History of the United States
Midnight's Children

off the top of my head

Going off of that: Do you own a pet volcano? If so, how much care does it require/how big of a safety hazard is it?

Volcanoes are expensive to maintain, so I opted for a pet glacier. They don't do a lot, you know, only moving about six inches every ten years. But they're nice to look at. Kinda like goldfish.

Is it true that inhabitants of Iceland are universally cannibals? Because I heard that steam cooking other people (or even oneself!) is a common pastime there...

Cannibalism is considered pretty gauche these days. There are still a few old people that do it, but most of the young people these days prefer vat-grown meats from the local laboratories.

I totally stole your topic and drank all your beer, is that cool brah? BV

That wasn't beer! Haw haw haw!

How is living on your own compared to living with other people?

Living with other people is easier financially, but it can really, really test a friendship. You go into it thinking it's going to be easier, since you're all buds. But then little things they do start to annoy you. And sometimes those little things become big things. And don't even get me started on living with strangers. Living on your own is more expensive, and potentially lonelier, but if you live near your friends, it's great. I prefer that set-up, to be honest.

If you could give one serious bit of advice to us youngsters, what would it be?

Don't let anyone talk down to you and tell you what you should be thinking, feeling or doing with your life. It's your life. It's the only one you get. The decisions you make will effect you first and foremost, so think what's best for you; not what will please your parents. Trust me on this, you won't regret it. It might be hard defying your parents and striking off on your own path, but even if you fail, you can hold your head up with pride and know that you made an honest effort to live by your heart. No one will ever be able to take that away from you.

HOw did you manage to get out of America? I kinda want to do the same, real bad.

Having friends in other countries. Because most countries won't let you just roll up and start looking for work; you need to have work waiting for you before you arrive. Sounds back-ass, I know, but that's immigration law nearly the world over. Make pals in other countries, explore the immigration procedures, and start digging. Ask your friends to help you find work. The lower your pride, the more likely you'll be to get a job. Immigrants do all the work no national wants to do, so expect that to mean restaurants, the disabled, the elderly, and anything involving cleaning or factory work. Hey, it's a start.

Which is better, fish or imported honey?

That's a tough one. Going to go with honey, because I could live without fish. No honey would make me run screaming into the sea to swim to the nearest country that had it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:03:07 PM by Dangerous Hip-Hop Crow »

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »
Have I told you ilu yet?
This also lets us, finally, scientifically conclude, that trolling is inherently childish.

Next question:
How do you type without boxing gloves on?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
New Vegas would be sweet...but I would need to have it first. :(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Some questions here inspired me to make more.

At what age do the male hormones release control of the brain's speech function so that I can talk to them again without worry of a perverted retort  :derp:

Why do women have this obsession about trying to seem less perverted then men when the truth is they are on average...just as perverted? I ask this not as an offended male. I'm one of those freakish anti-pervs myself. But know from personal experience that once you're out of the public eye, girls are typically pretty nasty too >=P.

She only likes the H-doujins. My daughter has seen Touhou The Game and doesn't care for it, but she loves the IOSYS Flash videos.

You said she's 5 right? I doubt anybody would like dem games at 5. So I hope you intend to continue trying to corrupt her later! >=).

But anyway H-doujin? Isn't..uhh. everything Touhou doujin? So basically it's all the h-material in general? I don't know much about this stuff. Other than the H-stuff I see on danbooru or whatever is awful, surely you don't mean that? Am I missing something? I'm not asking for reccommendations here, just.. I thought everyone thought touhou H-stuff was really really bad, and I mean the people interested in H-stuff in general too.

Anyway, umm.. How did you discover your wife likes it? I mean isn't it akward to bring up?

And may I ask what your daughter's mild cognitive disability is? It's not mild cerebral palsy is it? I was misdiagnosed with that before, and it turned out they had it completely wrong and I had something else. What I have doesn't matter but I know now that they tend to slap mild cerebral palsy on virtually everything short of a broken nail nowdays, so you might want to keep a close eye on her symptoms for awhile (like..for over a decade).

Next question:
How do you type without boxing gloves on?

I can answer that one for you now. it's:
*BELETED*

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »
Can you bring Mima back ?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »