Author Topic: When you want/have to dress up all fancy-like, what do you do?  (Read 15140 times)

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
When you want/have to dress up all fancy-like, what do you do?
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
Do you take pride in dressing up (whether it's for work, special outings, just for the hell of it, etc.), or are you one of those people who says "Oh, screw it", throws on a plain dress shirt and calls it a day?

Personally, if the opportunity presents itself I'll gladly milk it for all it's worth (having the pride of being the only person in the school to wear EGL to homecoming dance back in September.  :derp: ), as opposed to school and regular life, where jeans and t-shirt are the convenient, albeit plain wardrobe of choice.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Re: When you want/have to dress up all fancy-like, what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
I for one, when dressing for occasion of great importance always choose from my wardrobe of good shirts, mostly simple lined ones and also white ones, but I most love to wear (if the weather is not too hot) the black one with silk linings. For my suit, I currently own two sets of 3 pieces, which is to say: a blazer, black with 3 buttons, matching overcoat and pants which are synthetic material unfortunately.

I have another one which is dark brown, matched with a light khaki set of pants, all cotton for the more casual event. I usually wear this with a T shirt. This is for a less dressed up occasion.

Black slacks matched with a witty T shirt and a light black/blue jacket with no pockets is a nice one, I have one of these but recently I find myself getting too fat for this style. I now adopt a Ties or no talk approach to wearing suits.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
I don't =/
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
I wear the threshold for what is considered acceptable for the given occasion it if lies above regular street clothing. Otherwise I wear regular street clothing, obviously.

No jewelry, no hats, simply what feels comfortable, preferrably something that is not an eye-catcher.
Usually this translates to jeans, t-shirt and a zipperd hoodie, the latter either open or closed depending on temperature.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
I reject the dressing for an occasional mentality, myself, because I'm not ashamed of being poor and wearing stuff that isn't stupidly expensive.

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »
yeah, I like dressing up when the opportunity presents itself (i.e. my nice clothes are all washed)
but my description of dressing up nice amounts to a blazer, a shirt, nice jeans, sneakers and a paperboy cap.

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:45 PM »
my idea of dressing up is wearing clothes that are less torn up than my usual clothes

...I should really go get a new wardrobe sometime

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
For my senior project presentation in high school, I forgot to wear slacks, and I went to what was meant to be a formal dress speech in black sweatpants. My grading sheet got marked as me being formal, with the comment "at least they're not grey sweatpants."

In other words, I don't do anything. :B
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
I usually don't dress up any different from normal.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »
Dark-toned jacket, matching pants (both usually in an earth tone, or neutral), light-toned neutral-colored shirt, and an understated tie - usually a solid color, either red, blue, or the occasional dark green. If there is a pattern on the tie, it's not immediately obvious.

Pretty basic really I guess.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:06:06 PM »
Depending on how "formal" the event, I'll dress up differently. For most events I'll just wear a good button-up shirt and slacks. For an extremely formal event (like a wedding) I'll add a tie and jacket to it. I I don't do it often (too much work) but it definitely feels good to put it all together.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
doesnt this thread belong in R&MEA?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
doesnt this thread belong in R&MEA?
Just give it another half page to veer entirely offtopic about how societal dress codes are a suppression of nudists or something.

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »
Just give it another half page to veer entirely offtopic about how societal dress codes are a suppression of nudists or something.
who you callin a pinhead

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »
LET YOUR JUNK FLY AWAY NOW

NAKED IS FREEDOM

SOCIETY IS OPRESSIVE
                                                                                   .

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:31:29 PM by Iryan »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 08:33:26 PM »
Bring the thunder and heat.
                                                                                   .

Aliquantic

• Bose-Einstein condensate
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
Silk suit, black tie, I don't need a reason why

I don't really dress up for a specific occasion (I don't really see the appeal in doing things very differently for a single day), but I apparently tend to err on the dressy side for daily wear anyway... which doesn't take a whole lot of effort, mind, and I tend to feel a lot more self-conscious when wearing clothes that are too plain because I feel the need to have *something* pretty to make up for the rest of me  :blush:

Yes, I'm vain, and I strongly object to our naked overlords... most naked bodies just aren't a particularly appealing sight  :ohdear:

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 10:15:04 PM »
I bought a dark blue button-up dress shirt and tie, and a few shirts I got from the thrift store. Also a couple of polos. Luckily my work involves mostly casual attire most of the time, so I don't really have to worry too much about what i'm wearing.

Now, if I *really* were able to wear what I want, I'd probably jazz it up a bit more often. :3 But men's formalwear is uninteresting to me. It can look good on other people, but not really my thing for myself.

Yes, I'm vain, and I strongly object to our naked overlords... most naked bodies just aren't a particularly appealing sight  :ohdear:

They get boring after a while. The naked body can only look so different from one another before you factor in clothes. 
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »
When I have to, it's the same blue blazer, blue shirt, tie, slacks, and dress shoes. Good for weddings, interviews and funerals.

I don't like wearing a shirt that pinches my Adam's apple, a tie that limits blood flow to my brain, a blazer that lets the arms move freely, or a pair of shoes that gives me sore feet quicker than running 8 miles in a pair of running shoes that should've been disposed of some 400 miles ago. I never wear this sorta stuff just to keep up appearances. Give me casual stuff any day.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 12:33:11 AM »
Re: Topic

Dress to Impress! Don't buy cheap shit, but don't throw your money out the window either!
My school needs to make uniforms mandatory because half the people here can't dress for shit~

Suit, Tie, Dress Shirt, Dress Shoes, Belt... etc.
Your mirror is your best friend!

Make sure your hair is fixed as well, it's just as important as the other stuff you're wearing. I'd laugh so hard if you come in with your hair looking like those silent Japanese protagonists

From an eroge, jrpg, etc.

Other than that, dress for the season, and dress according to the weather. You'll look ridiculous wearing a friggin' poofy jacket in the middle of summer here. You're just asking to die from heat stroke =X

In summer, a thin sweater looks nice, along with a light shirt or something. I sometimes wear this with jeans. Lazy, but it doesn't look bad. Slip-on shoes work well too. The appearance is clean and simple, so it's casual and it works.

In winter, a trench / pea coat with a beanie and/or scarf. If you're a girl, black legging + skirt/shorts works well.

Re: Umbrella, I have a green umbrella. That's not a surprise!

LET YOUR JUNK FLY AWAY NOW
Okay, I laughed pretty hard

Then again, you know that clothes aren't just for concealing your precious skin~
They're used as armor to keep you from scraping your junk against the edges of tables / falling on asphalt, etc.
They keep you from freezing your ass in the snow

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 02:46:51 AM »
Here in the OC it is much too warm to dress nicely for much of the year, or what I'd call 'nicely'

If I'm going out in the summer, a t-shirt and shorts (and sandals) are the most I'll do.  The shirt will usually be plain or have a nice design on the front. I'll also wear button shirts on occasion, usually black or plaid.

If I get to wear what I want, I might put on dark khaki pants, an earth-colored tee, a brown hooded jacket I like to wear, brown or gray shoes, and a tan brimmed beanie. With black socks.

Right now I have a black modal button shirt, blue jeans, black shoes (with white socks) and a black flat cap. I was wearing a plaid jacket earlier because it has water-resistant lining.

If I need to get REALLY dressed up for something formal, here's the picture

Since I feel uncomfortable in most of the clothes I actually have, I'm looking to to get some things....mainly more button shirts that AREN'T plaid (I don't really like it anymore), more nice t-shirts, plenty of hats, a couple pairs of shoes, and different colors of socks...

Oh, and most of my khaki pants are baggy cargo pants with tons of pockets and I don't know why I liked that, so I'll be getting stuff without the pockets

a shame I only really get to dress up in the winter...I wish it was like 60 degrees (F) all year.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »
I've yet to see a man dress up to look impressive to me without looking like a pimp or a trap. So I don't really bother, because I sure as hell wouldn't be the person to accomplish it first with my ho-hum appearance.

If I was born a woman, I probably would be totally over the top so much that I would probably be made fun of rather than envied (maybe both though?)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »
I'd be the Amazonness of the city.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

PC

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 04:34:43 AM »
my idea of dressing up is wearing clothes that are less torn up than my usual clothes

...I should really go get a new wardrobe sometime

Start with this <3

Depending on how "formal" the event, I'll dress up differently. For most events I'll just wear a good button-up shirt and slacks. For an extremely formal event (like a wedding) I'll add a tie and jacket to it. I I don't do it often (too much work) but it definitely feels good to put it all together.
Untucked dress shirt + nice pair of slacks is a "catch-all" type combination- I've never seen somebody not pull it off very well.

And being more specific in general, my generic fancy dress look is always composed of a black blouse, complete with meido skirt, multiple floofy petticoats, and this one cute pair of Mary Janes that goes with everything :3 Don't get me wrong I love dressing up, but in situations where it's not worth it (e.g. while alone) it's always the clothes that take the least effort.

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Momiji

• Cya

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

PC

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »
I'll coord you three proper ladylike outfits when I get home from school   ^.^

I only have the legs for that!
Zettai Ryouiki Reiddyne needs to happen btw

(also major jealousface, I have manly runner's legs  :getdown: )

Dorian Loup

• Lurker
  • I'm a member now o/
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »
Except when I'm at work, I try to dress up nicely.

Mostly because I have a huge amout of different clothes. Hippie clothes, goth clothes, medieval clothes, street bum clothes. So, whenever I have an occasion to wear one of these special item, I happily wear them.

Moreover, as I do bodybuilding, I try to show a bit of flesh whenever I'm going to party.

I'm a whore :)
French noob!