Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month  (Read 87090 times)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: National Novel Writing Month
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 05:31:56 AM »
A romantic scenario that involves Nitori's washing machine.

I first read that as "sombrero."

I believe this is an improvement.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2010, 06:50:43 AM »
On the FUCKING fence.

I want to do this because, hey it might actually end well. On the other hand, I'm at a terrible point where I have zero (fucking) motivation and can't do a god damn thing. If I don't beat my head against something hard enough to cause brain damage then maybe I'll join...I have no (fucking) idea.

No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2010, 06:57:14 AM »
I'll totally do it

I overshot my fictional narrative in English by around 6,000 words (the requirement was five double line spaced pages -_- ), so 49,000 shouldn't be that much different.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2010, 07:32:41 AM »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
Thinking of trying it, except it's exam month. Doesn't matter how you get there, just end the month with 50K words, right?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
John woke up in a dark, dingy room. The steel plates bolted to the walls had long, ruddy streaks of rust running down them, suggesting the years of rain that had poured down on the city for years on end. John stood up, wiping the dirt and grime from his shirt, a futile exercise given that he would be dirty again as soon as he as much as brushed up against any solid object. The filth was palpable. In this city, you were either indoors and disgustingly dirty or you were outdoors and soaking wet. John wondered how many hours had passed since he ducked into the abandoned building. It was impossible to tell, since the sun was never visible. He had gone in when it was dark, and it was currently not dark, so it had probably been somewhere between four and twelve. Or maybe twenty eight and thirty six. It wouldn't surprise him if he had crashed for an entire day again. How long had it been since he'd eaten? No, don't think about that. Don't think about food. Too late. His stomach curled inwards on itself, painfully begging for anything to become it's contents. Unfortunately, literally the only things in his current vicinity that he would be able to actually chew and swallow were dirt and his hat. He briefly wondered what the nutritional value of his hat was. Thread is made from organic material, so it must have some, right? He decided against it, deciding that his hat better served him by keeping the rain from beating his head senseless.

The rain. Oh, how it pounded mercilessly on every living thing on the city. And every not-living thing in the city. And every unliving thing in the city. The things that weren't living probably didn't mind so much, but regardless, it was merciless. John briefly pondered how that much water could possibly get into the sky. If you were to fly above the clouds, would you see a swimming pool as far as the eye could see? How was the city not flooded by now? Well, completely flooded? He tried to remember if there were any waterways leading out of the city for all that water to flow. Even if there were, how could they hold the flow? Was it a seaside city? Why couldn't he remember whether it was or wasn't?

No, no, wait. Getting distracted. Focus. He could think about things all he wanted once he had something to eat. No, wait, don't think about food! But then he realized he was facing a paradox, as he had to think about food in order to find it. No choice, then.

John tightened up his jacket and adjusted his hat, then walked out to the doorway in front of the street. He had to go out into the rain again. How depressing. He would mourn the loss of his current dryness. Relative dryness. Another day of being soaked to the bone awaited him.

He looked up the street one way, then down the other, examining the rusty, nondescript buildings and towers running each way down the road. Which way did he come in? Did it matter? Where should he look for something to eat? He briefly considered whether food would be more likely to be found at the high ground or the low ground. Then he realized that was a stupid thought and the relative height of an area could not possibly affect the odds of edible materials being present. But then he reconsidered, thinking that since most people would run to high ground in a disaster, there would therefore be more supplies at the low ground. Low ground it was. At least he wouldn't have to walk uphill.

He took a deep breath, then stepped out into the rain. Taking a deep breath was decidedly pointless as rain did not impair breathing. It did impair hearing, sight, touch, and smell. He thought it was ironic that all of the four senses except the one he prepared were the ones being assaulted by the eternal downpour. Then he remembered that breathing is not a sense, and tried to remember what the fifth one was. Oh right, taste. And here he was, going out to get food, so it was ironic after all.

John plodded along the sidewalk, with at least an inch or two of water rushing along his heels at any given moment. He desperately wished for the city to be not so metal-plated, as the rain made a terrible racket beating against the ubiquitous steel barriers everywhere in sight. He wondered if they really did any good in stopping the radiation before the rain started. Probably not. Somebody made a fortune off of the specially-treated metal, regardless. Not that it mattered much to them now. Or maybe it did, maybe they were lucky enough to build themselves some sort of secret underground bunker full of warm beds and hot food and not rain. They probably could've afforded it. Oh, but since it was underground, it probably would've been flooded by now. There is justice in the world, John thought.

He continued marching down the street, and could not shake the feeling that there was some reason he should not be going downstream. He had a bad feeling about it, and briefly wondered whether he was just experiencing the same instinct as everyone else to head towards higher ground. Higher ground wasn't where the food was (maybe). He had to ignore his instincts (probably), so he resumed wading through the torrents to the intersection below.

---

930 words before getting sick of this shit. How do you people do it?

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
Sounds cool, but I literally have no time for 3 pages' worth of words every day...

Is what I'd say if I were a pussy. And I am not a pussy. I'm the hell in!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/701347

Matsuri

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:24 AM »
On the FUCKING fence.

I want to do this because, hey it might actually end well. On the other hand, I'm at a terrible point where I have zero (fucking) motivation and can't do a god damn thing. If I don't beat my head against something hard enough to cause brain damage then maybe I'll join...I have no (fucking) idea.

JUST DO IT

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »
Oh dear Suwako no! Not here too!

Must....not.....succumb....

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
Adding everyone that has linked their profile already, this makes ten people so far. Nice~ :3

Actually, I'll take the freedom and update the list in the OP  :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:29:03 AM by Sakananoko »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »
I failed 2007.
Bigger failure in 2008.
Almost got there in 2009.

THINGS ARE CHANGING NOW

It's time for 2010, bitches!

I've only got one word for this.

harlotry

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 12:00:36 PM »
I have a feeling I'm going to regret this ... uh, I mean, FUCK YEAH MAN LET'S DO THIS!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »
Taking bets now as to how many people here actually finish their novel.

[I'm going for 3 or less.]

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
Wow, nice vote of confidence there, mang.

EDIT: I added everyone who joined, and will continue to do so.

Also, the link to Odda C's profile in the OP goes to Acidus'.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:27:20 PM by Tsukiko »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »
Also, the link to Odda C's profile in the OP goes to Acidus'.
Oops >_<

Copy-paste on my PC has a habit of not working properly at times. Will fix right now.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »
Oh god what the hell.

...I am so gonna screw this up, but I may as well give it a shot... >.>
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
Looking at how my Subconscious Dream fic is progressing...

...nah

Matsuri

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »

...wow.

Way to be encouraging. >____>

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »

With 50,000 words, I can finish Sweet Dreams.

And guess what? I bet I can get there before you do. 8)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2010, 04:46:23 PM »
ITT: People that have never heard the phrase "bulletin board material" before. :V
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
930 words before getting sick of this shit. How do you people do it?
Unconciously count how many words I type in IRC.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
17 people so far huh

If all 17 of us reach the 50,000 goal, then that's at least 850,000 words written.

That's as many as 85,000 tens and that's awesome :3

Kiro

• Drinks: Everything
  • Sleeps: Anywhere
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 01:07:52 AM »
This was done in a moment of weakness. I'm not even drunk. But gonna need to stock up on the alcohol for this upcoming month.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:20 AM »
Oh btw, everyone is welcome to join #scarlet-library on PPIrC when the NaNoWriMo kicks off, so we can suffer together and encourage one another in our struggles  :3

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »
I must be MAD. I made a second account just for MotK! That makes 4200 words a day, minimum!

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
I must be MAD. I made a second account just for MotK! That makes 4200 words a day, minimum!

...Just don't overdo yourself, okay?  :ohdear:

...Wait you've completed it five years before already what the hell you really are Wonder Woman or something aren't you.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »
Right.

The idea I think I'm going to run with contains large influences (and blatant ripping, in some parts) from Weis and Hickman's Sovereign Stone trilogy, Sanderson's Elantris, and The World Ends With You.  I don't have any originality anyway and don't have the time to try and squeeze it out of myself, but I think I can come up with something that won't make me want to kill myself in the face for writing it.

and those are three pretty damn awesome influences if you ask me

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson