Author Topic: Does anyone know the exact hitbox sizes of stuff in Touhou games?  (Read 19044 times)

Smobey

Preferrably the latest ones. Not only the character hitbox size, though I'd like to know that, too, but also the hitboxes of various bullet types, bosses, enemies, items, whatnot.

I don't think I've seen them listed anywhere...

Re: Does anyone know the exact hitbox sizes of stuff in Touhou games?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:00:45 PM »
Exact? Good luck. Hitboxes are based on image size as far as I know... I would have to guess ~0.5x (maybe 0.6?) the dimentions of the given image. So if the image was 256x256 pixels, then it's hitbox would be the circle that touches the edge of 128x128 (has a radius of 64 pixels from the center point of the image). That would be my guess anyway, if somebody actually knows the formula then that would be awesome, not that it would be feasable to use that information while playing since some images have large empty space to change it's hitbox. For example, the image for Utsuho's suns is much bigger than the actual suns you see in game (take a look at Drake's SA Black Squares mod for proof), which make's it's hitbox pretty close to the visible sun.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
It depends heavily on the game. I could go do an analysis on every image and what it's hitbox is, but that would take far, far too long.

In SA, Reimu's hitbox image is 10x10. The actual hitbox is somewhere from 4x4 to 6x6. Obviously not 5x5 because that would create an imbalance. It's hard to tell because bullet hitboxes vary as well. The only bullets whose hitboxes are the size of their image are the pellets, but those are too small and travel in various directions to measure properly.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Smobey

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
It depends heavily on the game. I could go do an analysis on every image and what it's hitbox is, but that would take far, far too long.

In SA, Reimu's hitbox image is 10x10. The actual hitbox is somewhere from 4x4 to 6x6. Obviously not 5x5 because that would create an imbalance. It's hard to tell because bullet hitboxes vary as well. The only bullets whose hitboxes are the size of their image are the pellets, but those are too small and travel in various directions to measure properly.

They are hitboxes, though? Not hitcircles or anything?

Drake

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »
Yeah. Most bullets are circles, though.

Smobey

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:47 PM »
So as a rule of thumb, the player has a hitbox of 4x4 or 6x6 and bullets have hitcircles of around half the sprite size (with the exception of pellets). Does this also apply to square bullets, like the cards and whatnot?

Then, how about graze radius? If I had to guess, it would be around... 8 pixels from the edge of the bullet's hitcircle, no matter what the bullet's size? It certainly doesn't increase if the bullet gets bigger. You actually have to go into the bullet's visible area if you want to graze the large bullets.

Drake

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
Square bullets are super small, so I would guess that it is really half the size of the bullet. It really depends, though. Giant sun bullets have two layers and the layer underneath is it's hitcircle, pellets have no leeway, but most of the ones that aren't extraordinarily obvious are yeah, about half the bullet.

Graze circle is more or less if a bullet hits the glyph that appears when you focus.