Author Topic: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread  (Read 122410 times)

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
Re: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2010, 08:20:47 PM »
? <- alt + 0130
, <- a normal comma.

See if that works out.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2010, 03:14:23 AM »
? <- alt + 0130
, <- a normal comma.

See if that works out.
I'm sorry, but that does not work.

Nope. That's a unicode character and it can't be encoded in Shift-JIS. Notepad complains, then replaces it with question marks.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2010, 07:35:23 AM »
Could make a custom font that replaces something else with a comma. Radical move, but it's the best I can think of at 3 in the morning.

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
Could any of these work? ?˛ַָֽٍ̣
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
What about using other grammatical signs where the commas are causing problems - dashes and parens for parenthetical/appositive material, semicolons for independent clauses, and inverting your sentence structure for dependent clauses (putting them second, if that doesn't destroy the flow and/or meaning of the sentence)?

EDIT: d'oh, forgot about series commas, which really aren't replacable...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 05:21:11 PM by Silentsword »
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2010, 03:24:44 AM »
@Tsalop and @Silentsword
We discovered it's something worse than commas and are now investigating.

In other news,
I discovered why Deranged was so busy.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2010, 04:13:00 AM »
@Tsalop and @Silentsword
We discovered it's something worse than commas and are now investigating.

In other news,
I discovered why Deranged was so busy.

Sengoku Gensokyo was actually done translations-wise a fair bit ago; I've been holding off on doing any translation on this project for a bit until a consensus can be reached on whether I should do my best to not put in any commas or translate as normal. From what you've just said though, it seems like I can continue relatively normally (unless the fix involves something really whacky).

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2010, 04:56:13 AM »
Sengoku Gensokyo was actually done translations-wise a fair bit ago; I've been holding off on doing any translation on this project for a bit until a consensus can be reached on whether I should do my best to not put in any commas or translate as normal. From what you've just said though, it seems like I can continue relatively normally (unless the fix involves something really whacky).
Yeah, you should continue normally.

If something does come up, I'll fix it then.
Horie dorie~

« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:36 PM »
SCN0701

Next file is huge, so it'll probably take awhile.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2010, 04:24:16 PM »
1.07 released!  Something about a bugfix for attack attributes?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Hey, how come MotK kills my subscription to this thread every four days or so? It's really annoying.

anyway
# Fixed issues where elemental effects weren't working correctly

* Made Nitori's weapons and skills do the correct amount of damage
    * Nitori's skills now do nearly twice as much damage as before
    * Elemental weapons do much more damage

# Fixed an issue where some skills and weapons weren't being written properly

* Death Ray and Mambele now work correctly

# Some bosses which weren't being recorded in the encyclopaedia are now being recorded
# Monsters now drop equipped items more frequently. Some monsters' drop tables have changed
# Some other small typos and functionality issues have been fixed
# Added animations to skills which weren't displaying them properly
I'll translate more files soon. Sorry for disappearing so much.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
1.07 released!  Something about a bugfix for attack attributes?
BARF!

I'll translate more files soon. Sorry for disappearing so much.
Nah, we're okay.

Also, a small note for further translation: mauve told me that %s by themselves cause a FORMAT INVALID in the game. In order to avoid this from happening, all %s should be converted to %%s. He already did this for item.csv during debugging, so don't worry about it; it's just for if it comes up again.

--

Note:
@Kirin:
Yes, I took forever to figure this out, but map_trans.csv (literal translation) is only half the table it's supposed to be, while map_roma.csv is complete. Can you please fix this?
Horie dorie~

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:35 AM »
Only half...? That's weird. I'll look into it.

On other news, I'm basically stuck with only one last bit on my last table.

この私達と、 ここまで渡り合えるなんて

Rikaichan gives me something along the lines of 'Argument', which I believe is wrong. it also gives me something along the lines of 'Cross over', which could mean the Sanzu, so it's a defeat message? What do you think?

Edit: I just downloaded map_trans (v1.06).csv and opened it in Notepad++ and there's nothing wrong there. Try redownloading it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:19:25 AM by Kirin »

« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
On other news, I'm basically stuck with only one last bit on my last table.

この私達と、 ここまで渡り合えるなんて

Rikaichan gives me something along the lines of 'Argument', which I believe is wrong. it also gives me something along the lines of 'Cross over', which could mean the Sanzu, so it's a defeat message? What do you think?

It sounds like 渡り合う is being taken symbolically here; to "argue" can mean to "get in the way", "interfere", "oppose" etc, most likely in a battle. I would probably do it as something like "To have opposed us this much..." or "To have taken us this far...".

I should have scn0801 done soon, hopefully. I'll edit this post with it when it's done.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2010, 06:56:48 AM »
Well, I lied a bit about saying it was the last bit. There are three versions of that sentence, all with varying amounts of ellipses and using different pronouns (Watashi tachi, atashi tachi). Would you still say that's the right translation?

« Reply #165 on: October 10, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »
SCN0801.csv done.

Well, I lied a bit about saying it was the last bit. There are three versions of that sentence, all with varying amounts of ellipses and using different pronouns (Watashi tachi, atashi tachi). Would you still say that's the right translation?

Given the lack of contextual information, and ruling out an actual argument as a possibility, "To have opposed us this much..." would still be my interpretation of it. Is there any lines before it that could shed more light? (I'd assume no since you didn't mention any...) It can always be fixed later if we find out that it's horribly wrong in context anyway.

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #166 on: October 10, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
Before I start translating one of the larger files, just to make sure, the opening post is up to date, right?

In the meantime, two smaller files
http://sce.inkwash.net/uploads/misc/catl.csv
http://sce.inkwash.net/uploads/misc/chr.csv

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2010, 02:50:00 AM »
Edit: I just downloaded map_trans (v1.06).csv and opened it in Notepad++ and there's nothing wrong there. Try redownloading it?
Whoops. I am sorry about that!

Notepad and Excel work fine. OpenOffice only gives half the table. No errors.

Before I start translating one of the larger files, just to make sure, the opening post is up to date, right?

In the meantime, two smaller files
http://sce.inkwash.net/uploads/misc/catl.csv
http://sce.inkwash.net/uploads/misc/chr.csv
Except for Deranged's dialogue files, should be up to date.
Horie dorie~

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2010, 05:37:11 AM »
Looks like you're right, Deranged. There're no context lines above them, but right under them we have something that roughly translates into 'As expected of Gensoukyou's representatives, the Hakurei Miko and her friends' followed by 'Looks like this isn't going to be easy...'.

And that's pretty much mine done. Will be uploading soon.

[Link]

« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
Assaulted by RL again.. and multi-character lines are annoying to do.

SCN0802.csv

Next few csv files are big too, but I'll try to get them done sooner.

« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
SCN0901 done. Maybe another two-three days for the next one.

Edit: SCN1001 done. Full on to the OCs now...

Edit2: SCN1101. Translating シス姉 as "(Big) Sister Sis" would look rather weird, so I went for a bit more of an appropriate nickname.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:33:41 PM by Deranged »

« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
A bump just to confirm that I'm still alive. SCN1201 done as well.

The next three files are seriously huge, and I have exams coming up soon, so I'm not sure whether I can finish them in a timely manner; I can probably confirm that they'll be done by mid-December though. And these are the last three major files as far as I know, so it should be quick after they're done.

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Moving the discussion over from the other thread, are we keeping "induction" as-is, or changing it to something else (EG "causation")?
Personally, I'd be in favor of keeping it as-is, seeing as we couldn't really make it sound any "better" without changing the word entirely, and whatever we changed it to, we'd then be inconsistent with the wiki and everything else.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2010, 08:03:44 PM »
Moving the discussion over from the other thread, are we keeping "induction" as-is, or changing it to something else (EG "causation")?
Personally, I'd be in favor of keeping it as-is, seeing as we couldn't really make it sound any "better" without changing the word entirely, and whatever we changed it to, we'd then be inconsistent with the wiki and everything else.
I think the word is fine as-is, and causation sounds strange in that context.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
Took a little time today and finished up the first line of loser.csv--everything beyond that is just slightly different phrasings of the same thing.

The order is as follows:
first column: normal, second: somewhat more polite, third: polite (Youmu), fourth: somewhat less polite, fifth: polite, sixth: less polite (Marisa), seventh: polite (Sanae), eighth: polite, ninth: polite, tenth: very polite (Sakuya), eleventh: normal (Patchouli), twelfth: normal (Nitori), thirteenth: normal (Alice), fourteenth: very polite (Satori)

If someone has some spare time, please, feel free to fill in the untranslated lines. No knowledge of Japanese is necessary. I've already gone through and translated everything which doesn't fit the pattern.

Here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?c2z4bldyc8jbq3i

« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2010, 07:01:47 PM »
SCN1301 and SCN1302 have been completed; all that's left of the "main" dialogue is SCN1401, which is the ending and about 1/8ths complete. The remaining SCN-files are all minor files which can be completed fairly quickly.

Has the files that I've already uploaded in this thread be modified in any fashion? I probably want to go through all of them myself once they're all done and edit for consistency, which I'm sure I've not exactly maintained over the course of this project; if they've been modified, it'd probably be best if I worked on the newer versions. Once I'm done translating/editing all of them, I'll upload them all at the same time.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2010, 07:12:48 PM »
Which one of these files do I use to apply the translation anyway?

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
So uh.....sorry about disappearing for a few weeks. I spent most of them offline, while my brother was trying to fix the router. In between, I had college apps to work through (yes, I know they're really late), and my boss on the ECO project just laid a very big bombshell about me being the only active translator for all of 500+ JP scripts, 800+ CN scripts, and a few Korean and Thai scripts here and there.

This basically means I won't be able to do any further work on this game, and unfortunately, I never did actually have the time to play past stage 9. I don't know if I want to send any of this work in as I've basically just stopped and waited to see how many patches were going to come out, but if you really want it, ask me and I'll PM you my progress.

But in short.....unless I get time off from the ECO project, I'm going to have to pull my hand from this translation project. Sorry guys.

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
I've now finished all the SCN- dialogue .csv files. I would still like information on whether they've been edited outside what I've uploaded in this thread, so that I can start editing (or hold off on it until I can download the newer versions).

Until then, I'll work on monster.csv, which I assume no one else is doing (and is huuuuuge.)

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure some of these descriptions in monster.csv will have a pretty distinct character limit per line in-game, so it would really help if I could be told what it is, and how much space I have to work with.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:13:35 PM by Deranged »

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »
Deranged, I'm already doing monster.csv. About halfway through; sorry for not finishing it faster.

Savory: I think Choja posted a preview patch in the other thread.