Author Topic: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread  (Read 122397 times)

Melfice666

• confused
Re: 東方蒼神縁起 ~ The Genius of Sappheiros -- Translation Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »
Arriba!
I don't know either. Maybe just call it Ryuurin Keibu?

Milfice666: there was a test patch put together, but it'll be a while before we finish the translation--be patient! (If you wanted to help out, that wouldn't hurt, either)

(edit: well, I still don't have a translation, but it appears that this is not the first time that name has been used: http://wikiwiki.jp/hadikise/?%C9%F0%BB%CE%C6%BB%C9%F4 I guess if there was ever a translation of Hadikise!, one of us should look and see what they called the skill there.)
Id be more than happy to help but my skills in japanese or translation of any kind are most lackking iin everything

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2010, 12:26:49 AM »
琉輪影舞 <--- One of Youmu's passive sword skill buffs. Particularly, the one that causes instant death. I'm kind of guessing this is in chinese as it doesn't really make sense in japanese, and a chinese friend called it "Flowing reincarnation shadow dance." Or "Ariba", for short. I personally have no clue what to translate this as, but if you break down the kanji, you get "Gem", "Ring", "Shadow", and "Dance".

The literal Chinese translation of that would indeed be "Flowing reincarnation [sic] shadow dance," but.

Agh, this is the issue with translating flowery names like this into English DDD:

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
For my own part, I say we either find how it was translated in that other game (if that other game was translated) or just romanize it. He's stuck a lot of homages and references to various anime and games in here, and I'd rather we honored that with our translation.

Anyway, translated condtable: http://sce.inkwash.net/uploads/misc/condtable-openoffice.ods
Couldn't think of a good way to phrase "relife" in English, so I just used a new name. Also, how are we translating "good variety" and "bad variety"? Just as that?

(edit: the delicious irony if "relife" was a spell in another game)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 12:52:05 AM »
good variety = buff
bad variety = debuff

"Relife" is that the "revive on death" thing? That's definitely Reraise or Autolife.

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:42 AM »
All right--I was thinking of calling them that, but wasn't sure.

"Autolife?" Okay, that sounds pretty good. Changed it to that and reuploaded (it's the same link as before).

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
  • I, the Fallen Angel, will knock you all down!
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2010, 01:40:05 AM »
Here's an excerpt from the old man:

Well, being one of the
Spoiler:
three Gorgon sisters
, I assumed we'd want a Greek-sounding name. I'm not sure since I don't know Greek, but something that starts with 'V' sounds more Greeky to me than something that starts with 'B'.

Overbuilding it and subtracting is better than building a little and adding it piece by piece because we still have no idea how much we can actually fit in a line yet and more content has more potential, does it not?

Right. I'll be working like that then. What's a pain in the behind though is that there're many repeats of the exact same sentence, only one has a break in the middle and the other doesn't. Other times the exact same sentence has a different amount of ellipsis, then we come to those with the exact same sentence with no change whatsoever. If I could get a sort of list as to who says what, I might be able to modify it to fit more into character, if you want.

As an example, each playable character has their own way of saying 'Still trying to run?' and 'You won't escape!'. In Japanese, it was mostly copy pasting of the same words with slight changes to the endings for varying amounts of politeness/roughness. And an extra 'ze' for Marisa's. In the translation, I drastically changed it; Mokou's for example becomes a taunt of sorts (Go on, try and run. My flames will roast you alive), while Satori's I changed to (You're still thinking of running. You cannot escape my eye).

It's a drastic change from the original Japanese, but I thought it was for the better. Did you want me to stick with actual direct translations or am I allowed to take liberties like that? It might clash with the character interpretation in the dialogue translations if/when Deranged finishes them, but... I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but this is the first time I've actually translated something with other people. ^^"

琉輪影舞 <--- One of Youmu's passive sword skill buffs. Particularly, the one that causes instant death. I'm kind of guessing this is in chinese as it doesn't really make sense in japanese, and a chinese friend called it "Flowing reincarnation shadow dance." Or "Ariba", for short. I personally have no clue what to translate this as, but if you break down the kanji, you get "Gem", "Ring", "Shadow", and "Dance".

Uh... Maybe try 'Dance of Reincarnating Shadows'?

Consensus says that translations should be literal (map_trans.csv). I have a few exceptions and notes though:

Notes:
  • House of Eternity should stay as Eientei due to it being clunky in English (and also too wordy in general).
  • I need clarification on if Mound of the Nameless is named that or is actually called Nameless Hill.
  • Viotopos should be Biotopos, but that's a complicated problem. Also, Rithos to Lithos.
  • The most difficult challenge (for me) is dealing with Uchouten/Excessive Glory and Gen Unkai/Mysterious Sea of Clouds.

Anyways, I will be passing this along to Pooshlmer for discussion as well.

For point 2, the Mound of the Nameless is more commonly known as Muenzuka. The Nameless Hill is something else entirely. My biggest trouble when translating is that some names are known more widely in the fandom when romanized and less widely when translated. Example: The Netherworld is, as far as I know, usually called the Netherworld instead of its Japanese name, Meikai. However, Eientei is usually left as Eientei instead of being translated into House of Eternity. Chireiden/Palace of the Earth Spirits is a 50/50 chance, but the Former Hell of Blazing Fires is usually in English instead of romanized. That's why I gave up and made two versions for you guys to use at will. xD

A random thought; how hard would it be to make two translation patches, one for translations and one for romaji? The English translation patch for the DS game Tales of Innocence actually had a menu option that lets you choose between romaji and direct translations. As far as I know, it shouldn't be TOO hard; all it needs is a little Find > Replace throughout the documents but... It's just that as a personal thing, I prefer romanized.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:41 AM »
Right. I'll be working like that then. What's a pain in the behind though is that there're many repeats of the exact same sentence, only one has a break in the middle and the other doesn't. Other times the exact same sentence has a different amount of ellipsis, then we come to those with the exact same sentence with no change whatsoever. If I could get a sort of list as to who says what, I might be able to modify it to fit more into character, if you want.

As an example, each playable character has their own way of saying 'Still trying to run?' and 'You won't escape!'. In Japanese, it was mostly copy pasting of the same words with slight changes to the endings for varying amounts of politeness/roughness. And an extra 'ze' for Marisa's. In the translation, I drastically changed it; Mokou's for example becomes a taunt of sorts (Go on, try and run. My flames will roast you alive), while Satori's I changed to (You're still thinking of running. You cannot escape my eye).

It's a drastic change from the original Japanese, but I thought it was for the better. Did you want me to stick with actual direct translations or am I allowed to take liberties like that? It might clash with the character interpretation in the dialogue translations if/when Deranged finishes them, but... I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but this is the first time I've actually translated something with other people. ^^"
No idea about that. I'm going to PM Deranged and see if he can post his current progress and inform him on what's up. Also should ask about how much liberties we can take out on dialogue and stuff if everyone wants to.

For point 2, the Mound of the Nameless is more commonly known as Muenzuka. The Nameless Hill is something else entirely. My biggest trouble when translating is that some names are known more widely in the fandom when romanized and less widely when translated. Example: The Netherworld is, as far as I know, usually called the Netherworld instead of its Japanese name, Meikai. However, Eientei is usually left as Eientei instead of being translated into House of Eternity. Chireiden/Palace of the Earth Spirits is a 50/50 chance, but the Former Hell of Blazing Fires is usually in English instead of romanized. That's why I gave up and made two versions for you guys to use at will. xD
I like Muenzuka better. Anyways, some notes from fairies at Pooshlmer:

Quote from: Nameless Fairy Post.477118 + Post.477119
>[Uchouten]/[Excessive Glory]

This is a bad translation. I would translate that as "Wonderful Heaven". In fact...Tenshi's theme music has this title as well!

>[Gen Unkai]/[Mysterious Sea of Clouds]

I'm okay with this but my view is it would make more sense to call it "Legendary Sea of Clouds" to reflect Iku's theme

Quote from: Nameless Fairy  Post.477208
[Dai Toshokan] -> [Vast Library]
[Shakunetsu Jigoku Ato] -> [Old Scorching Hell]

A random thought; how hard would it be to make two translation patches, one for translations and one for romaji? The English translation patch for the DS game Tales of Innocence actually had a menu option that lets you choose between romaji and direct translations. As far as I know, it shouldn't be TOO hard; all it needs is a little Find > Replace throughout the documents but... It's just that as a personal thing, I prefer romanized.
If you're going to do that, you should tell me during editing so when we're made a final version, we can send both versions to hacking fairy to make the patches.

See the opening post immediately.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2010, 06:59:56 AM »
Well now, what a pain. I've translated about half of the changelog for 1.05 right now, and there're quite a few changes to dialogue as well as skill and item descriptions. Looks like we'll have to go through everything and locate the changes again now. >_<

About the Literal/Romaji translations, it's just something I'd personally like. I'm not sure if the other translators are willing to put the effort in, especially for those that're already done. My translations will all have two versions, a literal and a romaji version, assuming they need it. Whether or not they'll be put into the final patch.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »
Well now, what a pain. I've translated about half of the changelog for 1.05 right now, and there're quite a few changes to dialogue as well as skill and item descriptions. Looks like we'll have to go through everything and locate the changes again now. >_<

This is why I like taking my sweet time with translations because then stuff like THIS doesn't happen with such impact!

:3

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:49 AM »
Uchoten should be something like "Glorious Heaven". It's supposed to mean like unrepentant pride from what I can tell, and "Wonderful" doesn't have the right connotation.

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2010, 08:21:37 AM »
Rikaichan gives Unchoten as 'Ecstasy'. However, in Tenshi's entry on Touhou Wikia, Uchouten was translated as Excessive Glory. Call it a Shout Out to the Wikia if you want. xD For the most part, it's a dig at Tenshi's masochism, but you probably already knew that...

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
Uchoten should be something like "Glorious Heaven". It's supposed to mean like unrepentant pride from what I can tell, and "Wonderful" doesn't have the right connotation.

Not familiar with Bhava-agra?

It is once again a Buddhist term. Though, now that I think about it, you may have gotten that already.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:00:05 AM by Hime »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:30 PM »
Actually, that had slipped my mind. It's just that Bhava-agra might not be immediately accessible to most people, but I guess that doesn't mean it shouldn't be translated as that anyway.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
Actually, that had slipped my mind. It's just that Bhava-agra might not be immediately accessible to most people, but I guess that doesn't mean it shouldn't be translated as that anyway.

We might have to go the SMT route for some ability names anyway given how much obscura some of this is.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »
Does this basically mean I need to get a new version of the abilities.csv?

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
What about Childish Ecstasy? If we really we really wanted to keep the reference to her theme.

Dai-toshokan -> Vast Library
I'd call it Great Library (or Voile)??I see it called that everywhere, and I have never seen "Vast."

@kirinelf: I recommend being consistent with your wording in places where there's still debate about how to translate certain terms. That way, when it is worked out, you can just search-replace and not have to worry about tracking down each instance. Keeping a list of what you translated to what isn't a bad idea, either.

@Choja: well darn it. Whose idea was it to have a patch come out the day I finish the cond table just to undo all that? Rrrgh. Same question as Syanas. Incidentally, it would be extremely nice if we could have a list of the places where the changes have been made, as I rather suspect that he didn't rewrite the whole thing just for the patch--would that be possible?

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
@Choja: well darn it. Whose idea was it to have a patch come out the day I finish the cond table just to undo all that? Rrrgh. Same question as Syanas. Incidentally, it would be extremely nice if we could have a list of the places where the changes have been made, as I rather suspect that he didn't rewrite the whole thing just for the patch--would that be possible?
Yes it is!

[22:45] <mauve> this is every srsdb change, including useless shit
[22:45] <mauve> format is < for old lines, > for new lines
[22:45] <mauve> note that my local ones don't print -1 on empty cells, i blank them
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:27 PM »
I assume that link is for me, but....I'm afraid I'm not quite sure how to read it, unless it basically means I have to find the old lines in the original text and then look it up in my already translated text and then replacing it.

S. Nazerine

• geeetnllenmsma
  • bu s?t ?ayı ?ok iyi
    • SCE
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
Thank god. Or mauve.

One thing to note, though--I can't read Japanese text in .txts that come from PCs (it shows up as gibberish), so if you could send the changes for the files I did in a PM, that would be great. Thanks!

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
I assume that link is for me, but....I'm afraid I'm not quite sure how to read it, unless it basically means I have to find the old lines in the original text and then look it up in my already translated text and then replacing it.
You could do that if you want. Spot, find, and replace.

I am getting the tables up very quickly although they are in .csv.

Thank god. Or mauve.

One thing to note, though--I can't read Japanese text in .txts that come from PCs (it shows up as gibberish), so if you could send the changes for the files I did in a PM, that would be great. Thanks!
Okay then!
Horie dorie~

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2010, 10:53:34 PM »
All original csv tables that were updated by the 1.05 patch are now up on the opening post. All original ods tables that were affected by the patch have been pulled down until I make 1.05 versions of them.
Horie dorie~

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
Apologies for the lack of contact; I've been swamped with RL issues recently, and I've only managed to finish 1 dialogue file so far. I have some free time for now though, so I'll be hoping to get a lot more done in the next few days. The format I got for the files was .txt though, and not .csv, so I'm not sure if that changes anything... If it does, can you send me the remainder of the dialogue files for now?

Re: Literal/Romanji, I agree with literal for most with a few exceptions that are less unwieldy in romanji, like the already-mentioned Muenzuka/Eientei. One that hasn't been mentioned (although I'm not sure if it even affects anything in this game) would be Hakugyokurou, which I've never seen anyone refer to as "White Jade Tower" or anything similar.

Re: Taking liberties with the "you won't escape" bit; I'm not opposed to it, and generally I try to add a few mannerisms to my translations as well; however, I would caution against taking too many liberties that the translated sentence no longer makes sense in context, which is harder to mess up if you just do a direct translation. For example, for that "you won't escape" bit, transforming it into a taunt may not make much sense if the other person really does get away. (Though admittedly, I'm not sure what the original Japanese was in the first place) I'm sure those things can be ironed out in playtesting phase though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:01:55 PM by Deranged »

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
You have a point regarding the escape dialogue. The actual Japanese were all variants of 'Still thinking of escaping?' on one line and 'You won't escape!' on the second line. They're all exactly the same except for their endings, which have the normal Japanese spin on formality (The usage of 'desu' and the lack of it, as well as Marisa having 'ze').

Here's the basic Japanese text for 'Still thinking of escaping'  (Used by Reimu, Patchouli, Sakuya, Alice and Byakuren) - この期に及んで逃げる気!?
And the text for 'You won't escape' (Used by Reimu, Sakuya and Alice) - 逃がさないわよッ!

For the former, Marisa uses この期に及んで逃げる気か!? (Also used by Nitori and Mokou) and for the latter she uses 逃がさないぜッ!which is unique to her due to having a 'ze'.

Basically, speech mannerisms. Sanae, Aya and Satori use 'Desu ka' and 'Shimasen', while Byakuren only uses 'Shimasen' and so on and so forth.

I hadn't considered the possibility of the enemy actually successfully escaping, but I wouldn't be surprised if the girls still taunt them even if said enemies DID run. xD

Also, regarding the translation as well, the first three translatable lines are simply:

ああああああああああああああああ
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
and
うううううううううううううううう

followed by a line break (\n) immediately afterwords. How should they be translated? Are they exclaimations (Aaahh!!!) or actual letters (Aaaaaaa)?

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »
Apologies for the lack of contact; I've been swamped with RL issues recently, and I've only managed to finish 1 dialogue file so far. I have some free time for now though, so I'll be hoping to get a lot more done in the next few days. The format I got for the files was .txt though, and not .csv, so I'm not sure if that changes anything... If it does, can you send me the remainder of the dialogue files for now?
Thaaaanks! Good to know about your situation. The opening is really long, isn't it? Here, I'll give you the rest then.

SCN0101.csv
SCN0201.csv
SCN0211.csv
SCN0301.csv
SCN0302.csv
SCN0401.csv
SCN0501.csv
SCN0601.csv
SCN0701.csv
SCN0801.csv
SCN0802.csv
SCN0901.csv
SCN1001.csv
SCN1101.csv
SCN1201.csv
SCN1301.csv
SCN1302.csv
SCN1401.csv
SCN2101.csv
SCN2201.csv
SCN2301.csv
SCN2401.csv
SCN3201.csv
SCN3301.csv
SCN3401.csv
SCN3501.csv
SCN9901.csv

You can ask other people if you want any files translated or to accept their request to translate any files for you.

Reimu is always angry about the sun. She should punch it.

Also, regarding the translation as well, the first three translatable lines are simply:

ああああああああああああああああ
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
and
うううううううううううううううう

followed by a line break (\n) immediately afterwords. How should they be translated? Are they exclaimations (Aaahh!!!) or actual letters (Aaaaaaa)?
Those are probably test lines, but just translate it as literal (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, UUUUUUUUUUU, etc) so we don't have to deal with Japanese inside the tables and if it does come up ingame, it'll be a hoot. It probably doesn't, unless you hack into the game and make it kick you into TestMap.
Horie dorie~

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2010, 06:11:19 PM »
So uh, what's changed in patch 1.06? Because if it's pretty significant I may have to put this thing on hold until things calm down. I don't have the time to keep combing over my translations to find out what's changed.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
So uh, what's changed in patch 1.06? Because if it's pretty significant I may have to put this thing on hold until things calm down. I don't have the time to keep combing over my translations to find out what's changed.
PM me your 1.04/1.05 current table and I'll PM you back the 1.06 table and the 1.06 original table.

On second thought, everyone stop translating for today and probably tomorrow. Day off. You can keep working on the tables you have currently, but remember that they probably won't stay, so get ready to move your work to the new tables. Just relax for now.

I'll put up *everything* after my nap, okay?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 12:35:02 AM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 05:00:18 AM »
I was RAEG HARD if 1.07 comes out tomorrow. >_>

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2010, 12:52:52 AM »
IT'S HERE. BREAK'S OVER.

1.06 tables are up.

If 1.07 appears, do not ask me for them. They will be processed on a case-by-case basis.

Some no-text tables are posted as well. Use them for GoS debugging if you want.

Have fun!

EDIT:
Opening post has been revamped!!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:12:06 AM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~

Kirin

• Fallen Angel
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:39 AM »
Well, I'm happy. There's next to no changes in text in maps.csv (It's all BGM and data changes, the names of the maps and the bosses remain exactly the same). There's only the addition of a 'Data Clear' entry under the bosses, presumably for New Game+'s. Less work for me~

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:02 AM »
Image packs are now in.

Look in the NEW! notice.
Horie dorie~