Author Topic: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel  (Read 146101 times)

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
Re: "Games You're Playing Right Now" Thread: The Contested Sequel
« Reply #660 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »
Wow a lot of people here played Swordcraft Story xD

I'd like to try FFXII International Zodiac, by the time I reach Old Archades I've got all the licenses of a particular style and start buying whatever.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #661 on: May 21, 2011, 02:07:43 AM »
I licensed everything with everyone :/
Since the difference of stats amongst my characters is next to negligible I go in with Balthier, Fran, and Ashe, almost all the time.

« Reply #662 on: May 21, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »
Currently working my way through the Final Fantasy series. The goal is to run the gauntlet in order: 1-13, with FF10-2 replacing FF11.

Why bother? Many reasons.
- Play the game I've never even touched (12)
- Play the games I've never completed (2 & 3)
- Replay the games I've only cleared once (4, 9, 10-2, 13)
- Replay the games I absolutely fucking LOVE (5, 6, 7, 8, 10)
- See how many game hours it would take
- I like running game series gauntlets.

As for now, I'm still plugging away at FF2. My characters are pretty damn strong, since they keep beating themselves up. A bit frustrating, since the game didn't want to increase my MP despite LOTS of casting.
I'm enjoying the game, but I'm itching to get back to a proper Level System.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #663 on: May 21, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
For FF2, one of the big factors which decides when a stat levels up is how long the battle takes, and, strangely enough, it's higher chance when you take longer to win. Are you playing the NES original, the GBA Dawn of Souls, or the PSP enhanced version?
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:27 AM »
Dawn of Souls.
Controlling the stat increases isn't bad at all, just frustrating at times. I could have Maria blast through her entire MP reserve in a single fight and get nothing, whereas Firion gets the MP up from casting a single spell. After that point, everyone became well-versed in magic.

OncomingTraffic

• Get out of my Sanctum Solarium!
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
As for now, I'm still plugging away at FF2. My characters are pretty damn strong, since they keep beating themselves up.

The big problem I had with getting strong characters is that vampire-type enemies wreck you. I rushed through the game the first time so they weren't a problem, but bosses were a problem. I guess you have to pick your poison.

Are you doing the Soul of Rebirth as well? I'm asking because its just training until you can kill Ultima Weapon or the Emperor.

« Reply #666 on: May 22, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
It's my first full trip through the game, so I don't even know what the Soul of Rebirth is. Most likely a bonus dungeon side quest, I suppose.

Chances are I won't do that at this time. My FF gauntlet challenge focuses mainly on storyline. I'll eventually come back and fill in the side quest gaps.

Ah, I'm reminded of all the lost hours I spent in FFX maxing out the Sphere grid. Tidus solo vs Nemesis. Good times.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #667 on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:42 PM »
Mushihime-sama. I might get an Arrange 1-all soon!

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #668 on: May 23, 2011, 10:00:45 PM »
Well, after a rushed playthrough using a friend's copy of Fallout New Vegas, I finally managed to get my own copy. Took me around 7 days for a normal-paced playthrough, and that's 7 COMPLETELY FREE days. There's quite a lot of shit I didn't do (Like the Vault 19 quests, or Lily's companion quest, unfortunately, Raul's bugged out on me.)

Also, I knew the Trail Carbine was awesome but... Damn, I didn't know it could one hit kill Fiends with a headshot. (No seriously, it's one shot one kill against all fiends but the bosses.)

And Boone is overpowered, Veronica is still bugged, ED-E is my love, and I couldn't care less for the rest. This game is awesome, I'm so gonna be platinum'ing this game. It's gonna take forever though.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #669 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »
I picked up Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it's as perversely fun as it was the first time. :D Today though, I decided that as long as I'm in the Mario mood, I should go and finish getting all 120 stars for Luigi in the first game. Shot from 85 to 103 stars in just a few hours, but I remember why I never did this in three years - this is complete pain with Luigi's crap controls. >_< The Dreadnought Galaxy purple coins challenge had at least five failures that can be attributed to him not being able to perform a freaking long jump and instead doing that freak somersault.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #670 on: May 24, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
FF2 is complete. I enjoyed it. The final fight was hell, though. Those vampire-type attacks are VERY infuriating. Nothing like slowly whittling down the boss' HP, only to have him recover a THIRD of his maximum with a single physical attack. I had to shift my strategy quite a bit before I finally won.

Now that I know what Soul of Rebirth is, I'll definitely come back to that later. Stripping down the extra characters before they left..... yeah, that's going to bite me in the ass.

Oh well. Moving on to Final Fantasy 3.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
« Reply #671 on: May 25, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Started Persona 3 Portable.  First thing I noticed, the girl gets better music  :o  Also I almost died during the first fight.  The first shadow on its first turn knocked me down and that was followed by three more attacks before I got up.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #672 on: May 25, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
Started Persona 3 Portable.  First thing I noticed, the girl gets better music  :o  Also I almost died during the first fight.  The first shadow on its first turn knocked me down and that was followed by three more attacks before I got up.
Yeah, that can happen on harder difficulties.  Don't worry, though, P3P is ludicrously easy.  And yes, the girl gets way better music in a lot of cases (though I'm still partial to Mass Destruction over Wiping All Out).

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

[K]KoaMeow

• Pudding!
  • kyaaaaaaaaa~
    • M3 BM Fan Translation
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
Counter-Strike Online SG/My.

I'm lovin' the taste of victory  :]

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
« Reply #674 on: May 27, 2011, 02:39:45 AM »
Yeah, that can happen on harder difficulties.  Don't worry, though, P3P is ludicrously easy.  And yes, the girl gets way better music in a lot of cases (though I'm still partial to Mass Destruction over Wiping All Out).

It's also going by a lot faster.  I'm about to rescue Fuuka.

I like the lead in to Wiping All Out over the Babybabybabybabybaby in Mass Destruction.

nintendonut888

« Reply #675 on: May 27, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »
Just finished The Perfect Run, 100%ing both SMG games at long last.

...That was easy! Only 48 minutes? How overrated!

* Donut coughs up blood

Now the real question...am I masochistic enough to settle the score with Super Mario Sunshine next?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2011, 09:14:21 PM »
Now the real question...am I masochistic enough to settle the score with Super Mario Sunshine next?
I tried that once.

I was beaten by a rogue blue coin.

Seriously.  Looked all over the damn place and I couldn't find the damn thing. >_<

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Wisp

• Oh?
  • Asuka, asuka, asuka...
« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2011, 03:22:02 AM »
Ugh... How long was I playing APB Reloaded?
They think I'll think that they'll do (A) so they'll do (B) because I wouldn't think they'd think of that but then because they might think I know what they're thinking they'll do (A) after all because I wouldn't think they'd think that way.

Formless God

« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
FFXIII. 12 hours straight. Dungeons are pretty perfectly linear, yes, but FF7/FFX (the games people like to compare it against) are just as bad. And it trumps them both in the other aspects anyways.
So yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2011, 04:31:43 PM »
Eh, I went through FFX, and I found that game to be rather slow. I didnt hate it, but it just turned into a slogfest midway through.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #680 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
The only way that I could 100% Sunshine was with a guide. You are going to be in blue coin hell otherwise.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #681 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:01 PM »
The only way that I could 100% Sunshine was with a guide. You are going to be in blue coin hell otherwise.
I had a guide and I still failed. ;-;

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2011, 02:29:46 AM »
FFXIII. 12 hours straight. Dungeons are pretty perfectly linear, yes, but FF7/FFX (the games people like to compare it against) are just as bad. And it trumps them both in the other aspects anyways.
So yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot.
Yeah, the linearity is a perfectly accurate complaint, but is also mostly irrelevant.  The only thing it really affects is being unable to powerlevel, but given the Crystarium system, that wouldn't work anyway.

I have plenty of other problems with it, of course.  But I also have plenty of problems with VII/X too. :V

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

nintendonut888

« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
Super Mario Sunshine progress: Up to 105 shine sprites. There is one more normal shine to get (Pianta Village fluff festival), one more secret shine (Village underside red coins), four more 100 coin shines, and the rest are blue coins. T_T I am going to do this! 

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
I've not played Sunshine, ever... What is the problem with these.... "blue coins...?"

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
They're scattered and hidden all over the levels, to my knowledge there's no way to keep track of how many blue coins you've gathered in a given level let alone which ones, and you need to hunt down every last one for 100% completion.

Azure Lazuline

• Looooove!!
  • PM me for free huggles and love!
    • Entanma Project - indie game development
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
There's one screen that tells you how many are left in each level, at least. The problem is that you don't know which mission they're in, and they're arbitrarily hidden.

Aside from the blue coins and the stupid unlock requirement for the final boss (let's make a non-linear game, then only unlock the final level if you've completed specific missions, rather than basing it off the number of levels you've cleared! Every other mission is useless!), Sunshine is really good, though. Probably the weakest of the 3D Mario platformers, but still very fun.

« Reply #687 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
Maplestory and AuditionSEA.

AuditionSEA is basically a dancing game.

I also play Stepmania.

Gesh86

• Buddha may forgive you...
  • but Byakuren won't!
« Reply #688 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »
Dragon Age: Origins

You'd think that at some point, you'd have played any game to death and are just fed up with it...
Nope, not happening. Completed all DLC, already halfway-through my 3rd run of the main story. Currently, I have 72 of 76 achievements. I wonder if that is something to be proud of or if I'm to be pitied.

Super Mario Sunshine and stuff

I have an unusual attitude towards this game. On the one hand, I know it's pretty good and I kind of enjoyed it while playing it. On the other hand, while I was playing it, I sometimes felt like I was growing out of that genre, as if I couldn't stand 3D-platformers any more. Oh well, at least I saw the ending.