Author Topic: Touhou Project 12.5 - ダブルスポイラー ~ Double Spoiler. A spoiling article, ayaya  (Read 147063 times)

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
103 scenes down. The rest I either need to be awake for or just don't get right now.
Spoiler:
I didn't realise you could switch to vertical frame mode until I'd cleared about 90 of those scenes. Goddamn 9-1.

Edit: Make that 104, something just clicked.
Edit II: Make that 106, I'm on fire.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:48:44 AM by A Huge Battleship »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Spoiler:
Which of course means her getting turned into a tsundere (look at those pigtails!) so doujins can put them together now that Momiji is confirmed as looking down on Aya. And she has rabies.
Wait what?  What do you mean,
Spoiler:
Momiji looks down on Aya?
  Kind of important for me to know this @_@

Furienify

• Yeehaw!
  • Equestrian Fansubber
    • Youtube Channel
Only according to Aya's comment on one of Momiji's spellcards, regarding how vigilant she is for the Wolf Tengu. It "
Spoiler:
almost seems as though she looks down on the crow tengu
" or something like that iirc.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Actually on a related note...

Anyone around to translate these? They're
Spoiler:
Hatate's comments on Momiji's cards, so I'm wondering if this will clear things up further.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
6-8. oh god...Ok well I only tried it like 3 times but still.. I found that the odd number stages for 6 were much harder than the even ones (I one shot all of them but 6-6 which took a few tries mostly cuz of RL distractions). And  here I was thinking that the final stage for 6 would be easy >=p.

Formless God

On about soundtracks ... Retrospective Kyoto and Modern Youkai Colony need more love. Seriously, they are the best of both games >_>

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san

108/108 beaten in just under 24 hours. Hurrah.

Matsuri

19 hours in the first day? Damn.

108/108 beaten in just under 24 hours. Hurrah.

Isn't this supposed to be harder than StB?
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Isn't this supposed to be harder than StB?

I wasn't as good at Touhou when I finished StB, so I can't really compare them accurately. Instinct says that 12.5 was harder, but there's probably not a massive difference between them.

19 hours in the first day? Damn.

Yeah, I start classes again this week so I wanted to clear this in one shot.
Spoiler:
You know what would be hilarious to see? A chart of my playing ability/time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 05:57:13 AM by A Huge Battleship »

ebarrett

Formless God

I don't want to clear the game THAT fast and end up with nothing to do tbh >_>

ebarrett

Odd minor glitch: sometimes when watching replays the game displays
Spoiler:
Hatate's sprite in Aya replays and Aya's sprite in Hatate replays

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Touhou Project 12.5 - ~ Double Spoiler. A spoiling article, ayaya
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »
Yeah, definitely taking my time with this one.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Oh my, some people really have been going hardcore to finish this game. Crazy stuff. Like few people said here,  I will take my time as well playing this game. If you take it slowly it will last longer, and you will have double the pleasure.

Wait, that sounded pretty wrong.

Bah. I've hit a skill brick wall at Stage 8. All the better, I guess

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
If you take it slowly it will last longer, and you will have double the pleasure.
Half of that sentence is a lie.  Artificially prolonging a game may make it last longer, but so long as you're not simply trying to complete it for the sake of completing it there's no real reason to not play it as much as you want.

If a game is really good you're going to have a nagging feeling that's trying to get you to turn it back on and play whenever you're taking an extended break.  Super Mario Galaxy was like that for me, and while I wasn't trying to rush it (and made it a point to explore as much as I could given any stage's linearity) that didn't change the fact that I if I didn't have something important to do I always ended up playing the game as much as time permitted ;)
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Tengukami

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
No, Helepolis, that sounded right. Very, very right.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Agreed with Helepolis and Ammy. I've been looking forward to this game for a while, may as well take my time.

That said, 73 scenes in the first 24 hours. >_>
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Been going through StB's level 10/EX cards for the sake of comparing the difficulty, but I'm still not sure either way. At any rate, if it hasn't been mentioned already:

Quote from: ZUN in 12.5's Afterword
So the difficulty is set higher than usual.

Or so I hope it'll feel like if I write stuff like this. In reality it's not that difficult.(Real opinion)

For people who are used to it it's just that you can't continuously play the many stages, and I don't think the stages themselves are that painstaking.

So all that stuff about StB2 being 'harder' was apparently just bullshitting from ZUN. I guess he's right in the sense that there aren't any individual nightmare scenes like StB's 9-6.

Formless God

... Satori's equivalent is not ?

I couldn't find the solution to anything past the start of Lv.8
Spoiler:
on my first try
But DNAmaku and
Spoiler:
Scarlet Weather Rape
looked pretty nice.

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
... Satori's equivalent is not ?

Nah, Satori's takes 3 shots as opposed to 7 and the bullets are smaller (though generally faster). It's much easier to luck your way through it by constantly charging up and hoping you don't get hit. IMO the hardest cards are 9-1 and 12-3, with HMs to 12-4/7 and EX-7. 10-8 is also one of the hardest from my point of view but I get the feeling I was approaching it wrong.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
I think the scenes overall in this game are a little more difficult than the ones in StB.
What's more interesting is that the difficulty curve is much more shallow - the game doesn't get much harder past Stage 8.

Also, of course ZUN would think the game's easy; he knows how to do all the cards :V

As for knocking the game out early - It's entirely possible to enjoy the game and beat it quickly at the same time. 
If three days from now you remember most of the scenes off the top of your head, I'd say you've done well.

12-7 is easy until the last two shots.  BTW, that sound you hear is Remilia crying - something about Scarlet Destiny being stolen.

---

Is it just me or does this game feel really dark? 
All of the music is reserved (the lightest song is called Infinite Nightmare :V ), and there are very few light backgrounds. 

ebarrett

IMO the hardest cards are 9-1 and 12-3, with HMs to 12-4/7 and EX-7.
Having only cleared so far the cards I could speed through in a just a few attempts, I can say EX-7 is one of the easiest cards in the entire second half of the game - easy to figure out, and even easier to pull off once you have its (very simple) trick figured out.

Formless God

StB feels more dark with its black/red outline IMO :V

Having taken a look at a bunch of StB and DS's thumbnails on 'Tube ...
This game doesn't have enough bullets.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:11:32 PM by Formless God »

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
Having only cleared so far the cards I could speed through in a just a few attempts, I can say EX-7 is one of the easiest cards in the entire second half of the game - easy to figure out, and even easier to pull off once you have its (very simple) trick figured out.

Eh, maybe it was the 5AM effect, but I found every single other EX easier, even when you've figured out how it works.

Speaking generally, the 12.5 EXs vs the 9.5 EXs seems fairly one-sided in favour of the original in terms of difficulty. Most of 12.5's challenge comes from level 12 and parts of levels 9/10.

Could be said of all Touhou games.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,

they're really pretty though. especially in DS.

if the next Touhou uses these bullets, i'll explode.

Tengukami

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
I agree with the above poster. Where StB was more focussed on skill, DS is more focussed on the game mechanics (esp. with the camera's new tricks) and the visuals. Which is not to say StB lacks in visuals; ZUN has just grown as an artist since then.

if the next Touhou uses these bullets, i'll explode.

So will I, for opposite reasons. ZUN is progressively switching to using only additive blended bullets (they turn bright white when clumped together), which means that they're hard to see when there are many in one place at a time. Player shot types that use additive blended bullets (lasers, for example) will have a particularly hard time distinguishing between bullets, since even their own contribute to the mess. It's not very fun when you're trying to micrododge and your own bullets are blocking your view. Using laser Marisa is getting less and less rewarding every new game ZUN makes :<

That said, they're still damn pretty.