Author Topic: Numbers Mafia - Scum Win, Q.E.D.  (Read 39514 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Numbers Mafia - Int Day = 3;
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
If everyone hangs back like Kilga D1, then D1 will always be a random lynch.

Admittedly, I'm starting to think random lynch D1 is a fantastic idea.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »

Admittedly, I'm starting to think random lynch D1 is a fantastic idea.

Maybe we all should pick random days to hang back and cool our heads off :P.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
I actually don't feel bad about how I performed, I feel bad about being outplayed by Nietz and Zak to be honest.
Because I'm such a sucky scum player? :-\

Anyway, quicktopic here, but there's not much in it.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
Because I'm such a sucky scum player? :-\

Anyway, quicktopic here, but there's not much in it.

No, because it's rare that an actual outplaying occurs. Or rather, an outplaying that isn't contributed to by me being erratic.

I don't know how to explain it. I know I'm not a great player, but I'm used to other factors screwing things. This time, I was relatively calm, did my reads, put out my opinions, and was completely wrong at a critical time.

Hammering serp without reading was also terribad.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:55 PM »
* UncertainKitten reads QT

I am stealing Zak's strategy sometime.

Edible

« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2009, 05:18:32 PM »
What, "don't play"?

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
What, "don't play"?

No, leave the NK in someone else's hands and not know who's dying.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
What, "don't play"?
As a matter of fact, I could've hammered last night if Zak had come at least 1 hour earlier. If UK hadn't put her vote back on Pesco, I would have probably hammered Zak, NK Drake and claim doc tomorrow.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »
As a matter of fact, I could've hammered last night if Zak had come at least 1 hour earlier. If UK hadn't put her vote back on Pesco, I would have probably hammered Zak, NK Drake and claim doc tomorrow.

I wouldn't have cleared you though. When I was voting pesco as well as Zak, yeah, hammering the one that's scum makes you confirmed. When it's not like that, not so much.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
But you see Nietz, that one little tell I had on UK would have been difficult for you to disprove.

I would like to use it again someday, but I know it's not going to happen. UK referred to Serp by his full name in her first post. That was why I played the first 2 days with her as a confirmed town. The only reason UK would be so formal with Serp is because she wasn't sure of his alignment.

Nietz

• NEETz
  • Normal Person
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
But you see Nietz, that one little tell I had on UK would have been difficult for you to disprove.

I would like to use it again someday, but I know it's not going to happen. UK referred to Serp by his full name in her first post. That was why I played the first 2 days with her as a confirmed town. The only reason UK would be so formal with Serp is because she wasn't sure of his alignment.
Interesting.

Even so, you dropping UK to accuse me wouldn't necessarily clear you for her. But yes, I knew it would be riskier to go to Day 4.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2009, 05:49:02 PM »

Interesting. I can't really say if that's true or not though. The diction of the entire post was formal in contrast to it's ridiculosity. So it's natural I used his full name.

but...I like that.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2009, 05:52:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure my last two main D1 cases were both scum.

It's not necessary to "hang back" on D1. Just don't post mountains of words. They do nothing but distract and won't mean anything on D2 and beyond anyway. Surprise revelation: In both of those games where I picked scum out on D1, I picked a second scum out on D2 purely by looking at how the trains shook down, not who vomited out the most words in the shortest amount of time.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
The trick works once, now that you guys know it, I'm never using it ever again.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »
The trick works once, now that you guys know it, I'm never using it ever again.

I know. But I think that your sample is inconclusive. It still could go either way. I will say that it's possible that I was more likely to be town for it though.

I'm pretty sure my last two main D1 cases were both scum.

It's not necessary to "hang back" on D1. Just don't post mountains of words. They do nothing but distract and won't mean anything on D2 and beyond anyway. Surprise revelation: In both of those games where I picked scum out on D1, I picked a second scum out on D2 purely by looking at how the trains shook down, not who vomited out the most words in the shortest amount of time.

I don't mean stay completely absent like I was D2. But basically not consider the alignment of players at all D1. Because I think then I can look back on the evidence from D1 with a clearer head and start making reads D2. If that makes sense?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #225 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:16 PM »
I did consider that you could have been baiting with it. But think about it, you weren't thinking too much about what you said in that post while I was quite happy to find that edge. My sample for that tell is every instance of your conversations that have included Serp's name after you started calling him your master.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #226 on: November 03, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »
I don't mean stay completely absent like I was D2. But basically not consider the alignment of players at all D1. Because I think then I can look back on the evidence from D1 with a clearer head and start making reads D2. If that makes sense?

I was responding more to Edible than you, since he suggested that my method would only lead to random lynches where recent empirical evidence suggests quite the contrary!

I'm also still miffed about how my (and Suwako's) method was approached in Invasion and how, even after the disastrously stupid way the game shook down, one or two people still didn't think our way to play D1 was the proper way (at least one of which seemed to be holding onto those ideals purely out of spite for Suwako). I do not take slights on my D1 approach lightly - frankly, after Invasion, no one has any business even suggesting questioning the validity of my hang-back approach as far as I'm concerned.

I don't at all endorse approaching Day 1 with an "I'm not considering alignments" attitude. I caught Zengar for taking a scummy approach to Seniwac's retardation, and I caught VgT for taking a scummy approach to the day in general. If this isn't what you mean, then I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:08:01 PM by Roll Omega »

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

« Reply #227 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
I was responding more to Edible than you, since he suggested that my method would only lead to random lynches where recent empirical evidence suggests quite the contrary!

I think you misunderstood me.  I'm well aware your method works... for you.  If everyone uses it, then it's random lynch day~

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Do you think everyone else is going to be smart enough to employ it properly?

Edible

« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:11 PM »
Of course not, that's entirely my point.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
I prefer being myself tyvm

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
I don't at all endorse approaching Day 1 with an "I'm not considering alignments" attitude. I caught Zengar for taking a scummy approach to Seniwac's retardation, and I caught VgT for taking a scummy approach to the day in general. If this isn't what you mean, then I'm a bit confused as to what you're getting at.

That's not quite what I'm getting at.

It's...hard to explain what I'm after.

Because, on the one hand, I know that stances need to be taken. But, on the other, I think that I tend to overcommit to stances. And they color my thoughts for the rest of the game. So I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent that overcommitment D1. So I can assess D1 with an uncolored view, preferably during the night phase, and have reads on D2 that should hopefully be better reasoned, if that makes since.

I'd love advice on this to be honest.

I did consider that you could have been baiting with it. But think about it, you weren't thinking too much about what you said in that post while I was quite happy to find that edge. My sample for that tell is every instance of your conversations that have included Serp's name after you started calling him your master.

Hmm? I'd like to hear more on this.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »

Well, after that trainwreck...

I've only got one thing to say to the Town...

Your number's up.

Okay, I admit I haven't been following too closely for the sake of my own sanity, but I have one comment to make.

Why the heck did no-one look at Nietz after D2?

He was the deciding vote between the Zak/Serp wagons, and he was scum pulling it away from his buddy. The most obvious setup possible, and Town managed to miss it.

...See, this is why I don't play anymore.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
How often do you say
1: Serpentarius
2: Serp
3: Serpy

If you were baiting, I judged that you would use Serpentarius more than once in the game. If it wasn't consistent in usage, it meant your post was unintentional in being formal. The main point being that you only use Serpy when you're fully at ease with him. Since you were town and didn't know his alignment, it was reasonable that you'd be formal with him.

...See, this is why I don't play anymore.

You don't have the bragging rights to be pulling this one

I get the right to point out mistakes without being called a hypocrite. What's your point?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:28:24 PM by Roukanken »

Kilgamayan

• True
Re: Numbers Mafia - Scum Win, Q.E.D.
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »
Because, on the one hand, I know that stances need to be taken. But, on the other, I think that I tend to overcommit to stances. And they color my thoughts for the rest of the game. So I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent that overcommitment D1. So I can assess D1 with an uncolored view, preferably during the night phase, and have reads on D2 that should hopefully be better reasoned, if that makes since.

I'd love advice on this to be honest.

- Do your thing on D1.

- Ignore everything that happened D1 on D2 except for the trains. If the D1 flip was town, look at people on the train. If the D1 train was scum, look at people not on it.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
- Do your thing on D1.

- Ignore everything that happened D1 on D2 except for the trains. If the D1 flip was town, look at people on the train. If the D1 train was scum, look at people not on it.

Yeah, but doing my thing D1 tends to clog the game. I basically need to post a lot less while still producing enough so I'm not being useless to town.

I agree with the second point. Not doing wagon analysis was the main error we made D3.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »
Okay students, now...
*looks at the board
What the. Okay, this ain't funny. All the numbers are gone. How am I supposed to do the class without them?!
Sigh, class dismissed.

VOTECOUNT
-----

Zakeri: 2(sen(pi/2)) (2) (Pesco, ShiningDrake)
Pesco: 3(cos(0)) (3) (UncertainKitten, Zakeri, UncertainKitten, Nietz)

Pesco was lynched! He was the Lucky Number 7, Town Vanilla.

GAME!

UncertainKitten is unable to win, she was The Constant pi, Town Vanilla.
ShiningDrake is unable to win, he was The Number 1, Town Vanilla.

VICTORY FOR SCUM! CONGRATULATIONS!
Zakeri won the game, he was The Number 0, Mafia Godmother.
Nietz won the game, he was The Negative Number -1, Mafia Goon.

Roles:
1. ShiningDrake (Town)
You are the number 1. Isn't that schweet?! I mean, you're the freaking number one, the best in everything! You're the top of the hill, the king of the ring, the hero of the zero... you're just that awesome! No one will take your place... 'cause you're the freaking number one! NUMBER ONE, YEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Your role is town vanilla. You win with town when all scum are dead. Good luck and have fun!

----

2. UncertainKitten (Town)
You are the constant pi. The all-mighty 3.14159yadayadayada. You are very important, and you're the common ground for those people who remember some of the length of your tail, which is long. You like circles as well. That's why you started you love cereals with O's in them. But hey, we can't live without you, right? Think of that poor trigonometry without you!

Your role is town vanilla. You win with town when all scum are dead. Good luck and have fun!

----

3. Zakeri (Scum)
You are the number 9. You were nothing special until some drunkard came out and used you to pun a certain little ice fairy. Now you're being treated as the number they all laugh about. It doesn't matter, right? You're the strongest one, after all!

Your role is town vanilla... but that's not true! DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!

You are the number 0. Yeah, you're nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you have uh... nothing. You're empty, with nothing. If you were sent to Gensokyo, you'd probably be Alice. That doesn't mean you aren't useful, but yeah... sorry man, but you don't have much. You also like to cause some trouble around... dividing by zero.

You are the Mafia Godmother. At night, you can choose a target to be NK'd. Send a PM to the mods to confirm that kill. Your partner in crime is Mafia Goon Number -1 - -. You can talk to him via PM at night.

You win when every single townie is dead or is unable to win. Good luck and have fun!

----

4. Affinity (Cop)
You are the number 42. For some awkward reason, you feel like you've been given with a gift. You know everything, absolutely everything. If I were to ask you something, you'd give me an answer in a whiff. For that reason, don't you already know who your opponents are, or what will the result be in this game? Why are you here, then? Oh, for fun? Well, whatever. As long as you don't cheat with you all-knowing hax skills...

Your role is town cop. At night, you can choose a target to find what role he or she has. PM the mods to confirm said target.

You win with town when all scum are dead. Good luck and have fun!

----

5. Nietz (Scum)
You are the constant phi. People ph33r your 1.6180339blahblahblah. You're also known as the Golden Ratio. Seems like you're very important. You also have a knack for arts, which is awesome as well! Your perfection is enough to achieve victory!

Your role is town vanilla... but that's not true! DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!

You are the number -1. Unlike your little brother, 1, you apparently succeed at everything... but in the opposite way. It's not like you're jealous of him, right? Oh yeah you are... drats. In any case, you certainly are useful in your own way. I mean, you lead a big big group of no-goods, negative, 0 to the left buncha numbers. Oh, that hurt? Oops...

You are a Mafia Goon. You and your partner must choose who you want to target. Your partner in crime is the Mafia Godmother Number 0 - -. You can talk to him via PM at night. (By the way, if the Godmother's dead, you take the killing power)

You win when every single townie is dead or is unable to win. Good luck and have fun!

----

6. Serpentarius (Town)
You are the constant e. You little 2.71828blahblahblah. You aren't just the 5th letter in the english alphabet, but you are important for math as well! Your inverse is ln, another  important thing! You must be really good friends with that 1, since that's your derivative at x = 0. Nice curve there, by the way. *tsk tsk*.

----

7. Sol (Town)
You are the number 34. You were nothing special until some people gave you a special meaning. A rather... embarassing meaning for some, but you wield it with pride now. Hey hey, get that 3 off me, sheesh. You can also be called a miracle for some, magical for othe-hey, stop that, I tell you! That tickles... ehehe... Hey! Ah! Help! Molestor here!

----

8. Pesco (Town)
You are the number 7. Wow! You're very lucky! Look behind you, a four-leafed clover! A and K on Blackjack! 777 on slots! You're really really rich for a number! Rainbow, whoo! With such powers, I don't think anyone could touch you in this game! You have the victory in your hands! Share it with everyone! You make people happy! Now turn your h4x off, you cheater.

----

9. Ramus (Town)
You are the imaginary unit i. You don't exist. Well, you do, but you don't. Geddit? Nah? Aw. In any case, you seem to appear when that cousin of yours "Square Root" makes crap hit the fan, saving the day. You seem to be friends with -1 when 2 comes along to play. In any case, you make everything complex. Isn't it sad?

Powerup punchin'!

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »
Having a vote down on someone for non-terrible reasons is producing "enough" on D1. Look at what I did in Invasion. I had a vote down on VgT and later threw a handful of one-liners out. That was "enough".

Rat had a good line about this back in Remix.

What is this 'contribute more'? I said everything that needed saying. Everyone else is saying *too much*, christ. I'm not reading all this crap on day one unless ##'s are attached to it.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
Having a vote down on someone for non-terrible reasons is producing "enough" on D1. Look at what I did in Invasion. I had a vote down on VgT and later threw a handful of one-liners out. That was "enough".

Rat had a good line about this back in Remix.

Fair enough. Next game I will attempt a more concise clear headed D1, produce my reads D2 and then keep them updated.

Further, I think my walls aren't bad, but they are raw data from me. I need to refine this data concisely to properly use the art of the wall of text (which isn't a wot when refined)

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »
I'm sorry about how much I failed this game... I honestly don't have any real excuse. I think I'm going to sit out a while and just watch games as a spectator and hope that helps. Because clearly I am NOT ready to actually join in, as shown by my utterly HORRENDOUS play this game.

And as far as the asking to be replaced during LyLo... Well, honestly, a large part of it is that I was seriously feeling like by being here would be detrimental to the town x.x There's nothing else I can say without basically repeating myself. I'll just say sorry one last time, and leave it at that.