~Hakurei Shrine~ > Tech Support
Japanese language packs + AppLocale tutorial
(1/6) > >>
Kilgamayan:
Because people somehow expect to be able to run Japanese programs on non-Japanese Windows...

Note: This assumes that you are running Windows XP.  If you are using an older Windows, upgrade, for the love of god.  If you are running Vista, downgrade, for the love of god.  XP is the only OS that all of the Touhou games will run flawlessly on.  Please use it if you intend to play Touhou games.

Language packs
Installing Japanese language packs is very easy.  It will require either a copy of the Windows CD or a copy of the \i386\ directory from it - if you're on a laptop, you probably have the latter in either C:\ or C:\Windows\.

Now that you have one of the two, go to your Control Panel.  Open up "Regional and Language Options."  Head to the Languages tab, check "Install files for East Asian languages" and click apply; refer to the picture here.

Now restart your computer.  Congratulations, you can display 日本語 text now!  Now you'll need to either set your computer to Japanese non-Unicode mode or set up AppLocale - refer to the next section for that.

AppLocale and more
Refer to here for all your AppLocale needs: http://alcahest.club.fr/perso/apploc/applocale.html

If you find AppLocale too cumbersome to use, then go to Regional and Language Options, head to the Advanced tab, and select Japanese in the dropdown box at the top.  Now restart your computer.  Hopefully everything will run in Japanese mode now.  Note that this will replace your \ character with ¥.
lumber_of_the_beast:
Weird AppLocale question: Does it create a desktop icon and/or start menu shortcut on installation?
Docteur Hartmann:
I have a trouble.

Each time I'm trying to install Applocale on my Vista, This delightful Vista says: "The program cannot be installed, because some Windows application are missing."
In short, he's almost saying: "POW HAHA PWNED, YOU NERD!"

And the thing who's pissing me off is that he's NOT EVEN saying what is the missing application.

Gentlemen, I put a bounty on Bill's head.
Momiji:
Do you have Asian text support installed?  I forgot if this is necessary in Vista/Win7.  Gah, I need to look at my Vista install more than twice in a year... =/
Spice:

--- Quote from: Kilgamaya[N] on April 21, 2009, 06:13:56 AM ---...
Note: This assumes that you are running Windows XP.  If you are using an older Windows, upgrade, for the love of god.  If you are running Vista, downgrade, for the love of god.  XP is the only OS that all of the Touhou games will run flawlessly on.  Please use it if you intend to play Touhou games.

--- End quote ---

Although I agree on downgrading Vista (though some cant because they dont have an XP disk and license), I can vouch that all the touhou games work on Vista Home Premium 32-bit seamlessly (without running in compatibility mode) and that AppLocale works for it. I have tested all the games right down to the PC-98 and have found no problems other than lagging due to crappy hardware (low memory, slow processor, etc; it's an old computer so of course it's like that). It seems to also the same for Win7 (although I have only run a few of the games(1, 5, 7, 8, 10.5, 12.3, 12.5, and 12.8 ) and have not tried AppLocale).

EDIT:
ha! Just ignore this, I forgot to check the timestamp, so this was probably already made known.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version