~Hakurei Shrine~ > Help Me, Eirin!
Is playing in 16:9 instead of 4:3 considered cheating?
(1/5) > >>
Lunatic_Reimu:
Hello,
something that's been bugging me, so I'd appreciate some input and opinions.

Since the first time I booted up Touhou 5 years ago, it always booted by default into 16:9 for me. I always thought this was the normal way the game plays until seeing everyone's runs on Youtube with the black bars on the side (being in 4:3) and it got me thinking. Needless to say, after all this time, I got used to it like this, and I don't even see it as stretched, if anything, when trying it out on 4:3 I'm seeing everything too squished. I really prefer having my screen full rather than the black bars on the sides.

I know there are disadvantages to playing in 16:9 like your movement horizontally will seem faster than vertically, and patterns that are meant to be circular look slightly oval instead, but I got used to it and doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just want to know if it is considered as cheating by playing in 16:9 instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice and input :)
SomeGuy712x:
I'm not sure what the official ruling would be, but in my opinion, I see no problem with playing the games in 16:9 if that's what you prefer.
Tom:
Doesn't give you an advantage so no
nav':
Right, I don't believe you're cheating, not by any reasonable definition of the word. Don't lose sleep over this.
Lunatic_Reimu:
Whew, thanks for all the positive replies, puts my mind more at ease hearing it from other members. I strictly play no bombs, and it takes a hell of a lot of effort (and multiple attempts) to hit a Lunatic 1cc, so I wouldn't want my run to be invalid due to it being in 16:9 instead of 4:3 which is why I'm asking to confirm. I might decide to upload these to Youtube someday, think I'll get any hate for it being in 16:9?

--- Quote from: nav' on April 04, 2019, 07:01:08 PM ---Right, I don't believe you're cheating, not by any reasonable definition of the word. Don't lose sleep over this.

--- End quote ---

Haha believe me I've already lost 2 days' worth wrecking my head on it before deciding to come ask here :P

Thanks for all the help and quick replies, really appreciate it :)
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version