Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46336 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #870 on: November 17, 2015, 12:54:40 AM »
>Take a few measured, deep breaths, then take her hand. "As I'm gonna be."

« Reply #871 on: November 17, 2015, 02:59:30 AM »
>Take a few measured, deep breaths, then take her hand. "As I'm gonna be."

>You take a few steady breaths then take hold of Kyouko's hand.
>She gives you a sheepish smile. "I've never actually gone diving before. But it'll be okay! I can do this!"
>With a determined look, she takes a deep lungful of air, squeezes your hand tightly, then plunges beneath the river's surface.

>You follow after her, full breath in your lungs, and firm grip on her hand. Your vision is nearly useless here, the world a blur of midnight blue with a splash of beige and green beside you. You hope that Kyouko can see the tunnel ahead; the best you can manage is to estimate your own descent. Kyouko's swimming is without grace, and there is some tugging and near-collisions between the two of you as you try to match each other's pace.
>Surely that must be more than five feet by now? This isn't the wrong spot, is it? You never did get a good look at that quartz. But then you feel Kyouko gently pulling you forward and the world around you grows dark.

>The weight of the rock above you is oppressive, even as you cannot see it. Your pack feels like a heavy weight behind you, the water thick before you, and your next breath locked far away. Something hits your shin - a leg? You try to angle away from it, only to scrap your shoulder roughly against the tunnel wall. The coarse rock drags a wince from you, a few bubbles of air escaping through your nose alongside it.
>The tunnel feels far longer than it did before, though maybe that's just the blight stealing breath from your lungs; there is a strain there you hadn't felt the first time. The world around you is black and sightless, but the water beside you churns with the movement of your companion's limbs, as sure a sign of her presence as the hand still held tightly in yours.
>You drift forward through the darkness together, one foot and then another. You're growing convinced you haven't been swimming in an entirely straight line, though it's hard to tell for sure. Your lungs remind you that it would be nice to breathe again, and you feel the fingers around your own grip tighter - simple kindness or fear? A few more feet.

>Has the world grown brighter?

>Then you feel a sharp tug upward and you follow it.
>Kyouko crests the surface of the water with a splash, panting. You emerge beside her, only slightly less winded. Well, that may have been a bit rougher than the first time, but it seems like you've made it.

« Reply #872 on: November 17, 2015, 04:03:03 AM »
>Is our normal lung capacity superior to that of an average human?

« Reply #873 on: November 17, 2015, 04:20:47 AM »
>Is our normal lung capacity superior to that of an average human?

>Ordinarily. At the moment, you're not so sure.

« Reply #874 on: November 17, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »
>Assess situation. Are we where we're supposed to be? And intact? As much as we were.

« Reply #875 on: November 17, 2015, 04:55:39 AM »
>Assess situation. Are we where we're supposed to be? And intact? As much as we were.

>You take a look around. Though less brightly-lit than last time, you do seem to be in the same grotto you've passed through before. You have no injures, and are only a little bit short on breath.
>Kyouko gives you a little smile, still catching her breath. "That was... kind of exciting!"

« Reply #876 on: November 17, 2015, 05:03:53 AM »
>"Bet you never thought that's how you'd spend your first diving trip, eh."

« Reply #877 on: November 17, 2015, 05:09:22 AM »
>"Bet you never thought that's how you'd spend your first diving trip, eh."

>She giggles. "Can't say I did." Then she takes a look around the grotto and her eyes slowly widen with delight. "Ooo... it's so pretty!"

« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2015, 05:44:22 AM »
>"Not bad, is it."

« Reply #879 on: November 17, 2015, 05:49:23 AM »
>"Not bad, is it."

>She nods vigorously, then slowly paddles over to the other side of the pool and stares up at the ceiling. "That one's sparkling! Kinda."

« Reply #880 on: November 17, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »
>She does bounce back quick, don't she.
>Did we stop to enjoy the view the last time? The memory is hazy.

« Reply #881 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:23 AM »
>She does bounce back quick, don't she.
>Did we stop to enjoy the view the last time? The memory is hazy.

>You're honestly not quite sure how she does it. And for her first diving experience to be leading a half-blind person through an underwater tunnel in the dark, she handled herself pretty well.
>Everything is hazy lately. But you did spend some time huddled around a torch on your first visit, slowly drying off. The crystal formations here were indeed rather striking - probably even moreso, since the moonlight was better then.

« Reply #882 on: November 19, 2015, 02:46:30 AM »
>Since the cold water is likely to affect us more now than it did before, best follow our previous example and dry off.
>Head to shore.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:00:04 AM by Sourfang »

« Reply #883 on: November 24, 2015, 06:59:17 AM »
>Since the cold water is likely to affect us more now than it did before, best follow our previous example and dry off.
>Head to shore.

>Eager to leave the water behind, you make for dry ground - or at least, ground less submerged. Kyouko does not follow immediately - still gazing at the scenery, perhaps - and you've already retrieved a torch from your pack and lit it for warmth before you hear wet footsteps on the rocks behind you.
>"This is such a wonderful little hideaway," she says. "I wonder how many people have ever seen it?"

« Reply #884 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:41 AM »
>Glance around for something to make a bigger fire out of. More heat means we'll get back on the move faster.
>"Can't be too many. I got the impression from the folks I talked to that this part of the world doesn't see a heap of traffic."

« Reply #885 on: November 24, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
>Glance around for something to make a bigger fire out of. More heat means we'll get back on the move faster.
>"Can't be too many. I got the impression from the folks I talked to that this part of the world doesn't see a heap of traffic."

>As before, there are no trees or other wood to be found in the grotto. You would need to traverse most of the length of it to reach the woods again.
>"And it's all so tucked away. An underwater passage!" Her voice twinkles. "Though I guess someone could find it from this side."
>You hear rustling behind you, then Kyouko asks "Did you need a towel? I packed a spare, just in case!"

« Reply #886 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »
>Smile. "Smart call. Yes, please."

« Reply #887 on: November 24, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »
>Smile. "Smart call. Yes, please."

>Kyouko roots around in her pack. "Now where did I.... Ah, there it is. Here you go!"
>She holds the towel out for you. Or at least, you assume she does; you still haven't turned around to look. For some reason, her state of undress leaves you feeling more self-conscious than you were with Kagerou.

« Reply #888 on: November 25, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »
>Didn't Kagerou have a more.... apt-to-cause-self-consciousness figure than Kyouko here?

« Reply #889 on: November 25, 2015, 06:31:35 AM »
>Didn't Kagerou have a more.... apt-to-cause-self-consciousness figure than Kyouko here?

>You were respectful enough of Kagerou's desire for privacy not to get a good look at her in her underwear, but there's no question she's better-endowed than Kyouko is. And yet....

« Reply #890 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:25 AM »
>Kagerou was a fair bit more self-conscious than Kyouko, as well. It's almost like Kyouko here hasn't been... marked, for want of a better word, by civilization, by life, like the rest of us have. A bright spirit.
>Well, the rest of us that aren't fairies, anyway.
>Gauge hunger/fatigue status.

« Reply #891 on: November 25, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »
>Kagerou was a fair bit more self-conscious than Kyouko, as well. It's almost like Kyouko here hasn't been... marked, for want of a better word, by civilization, by life, like the rest of us have. A bright spirit.
>Well, the rest of us that aren't fairies, anyway.
>Gauge hunger/fatigue status.

>You feel fortunate your paths crossed when they did.
>You're more than a little weary, which is only to be expected, but a bit of that renewed energy you felt on the boat still remains. You don't feel very hungry.

« Reply #892 on: November 25, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
>Then we can make some more progress after we get dried off and dressed again. So let's get down to that bit of business.

« Reply #893 on: November 25, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
>Then we can make some more progress after we get dried off and dressed again. So let's get down to that bit of business.

>You turn and accept the proffered towel as briskly as you can, though for whose modesty exactly, you're no longer sure - Kyouko certainly doesn't seem the slightest bit abashed. Though was she... frowning again? You probably look dreadful. It was bad enough to have to see your lesions through hazy eyes, but with good ones? Well, all the more reason to get some clothes back on.
>Banishing all these thoughts to the back of your mind, you set to drying yourself, running the towel firmly up one arm and then the other. It's awfully fluffy, isn't it? You stifle a snicker; would she really have packed any other kind?

>Before very long, you're dressed and mostly dry, sitting on a rock and enjoying the warmth of the torch against the parts of you still chilly.
>Kyouko buffs her tail vigorously with her own towel, then gives it a few shakes in the air and pulls the last of her clothing back on. Her hair is still a bit damp, of course. When she looks at you again, there is a gleam of sympathy in her eyes that even your own failing ones don't miss, but she smiles still.
>"Did you want to sit and rest for a bit?" she asks.

« Reply #894 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
>Shake head slightly. "Not yet. I actually don't feel quite as bad as I think I look. We'll take a minute or three to warm up, then I want to press on."
>"Unless of course, you want to rest for a bit?"

« Reply #895 on: November 25, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
>Shake head slightly. "Not yet. I actually don't feel quite as bad as I think I look. We'll take a minute or three to warm up, then I want to press on."
>"Unless of course, you want to rest for a bit?"

>She shakes her head. "Unless of course, you want to rest for a bit." She can't quite keep from grinning.

« Reply #896 on: November 25, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »
>"Oh no. She's stuck in an infinite loop, and she's an idiot."
>Chuckle quietly. And after a few minutes, once we're warmed up and Kyouko's done admiring the view, resume course for the Garden of Yuuka.

« Reply #897 on: November 29, 2015, 06:56:21 PM »
>"Oh no. She's stuck in an infinite loop, and she's an idiot."
>Chuckle quietly. And after a few minutes, once we're warmed up and Kyouko's done admiring the view, resume course for the Garden of Yuuka.

>"Oh no. She's stuck in an infinite loop, and she's an- ...hey!!"

>You give yourself another few minutes to rest and dry while Kyouko putters around the grotto, then hoist off your perch and set course to the west once more.
>"Onward!" she cries, thrusting a finger at the sliver of sky peeking through he rocks. If only you felt half as energized as that.

>Slowly, the rock beneath your feet gives way to soil and moss and coarse grasses. The colorful bands of minerals are replaced with reedy birch and aspen, their leaves rustling in the night breeze. You do your best to recall the landmarks Kagerou pointed out on your first expedition - the hill with the pair of dead oaks, the... the... there was something else, wasn't there? A fallen log? A pointy boulder? It's all so fuzzy now.

>The miles pass, but each more slowly than the last, each fought and conquered at greater cost. The wilderness stars to blur into an endless tableaux of green and brown, speckled with starlight and the calls of distant birds. You are silently grateful that Kyouko decides not to join in; sound seems to come in two varieties now - indistinct and assaulting. Even your own footsteps feel too loud. There was a glen you were trying to reach, wasn't there? Where was it again?

>You feel Kyouko's arms catch you before you fully register that you've stumbled. It takes a moment to recognize it, but the look of concern in her eyes makes you wonder just how exhausted you must look.

>"Maybe we should call it a night?" she offers.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:19:17 PM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #898 on: December 02, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
>"Uh... How far've we got?"

« Reply #899 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:44 AM »
>"Uh... How far've we got?"

>"How far've we got behind us or how far've we got to go?" she asks uncertainly.