Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46242 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #630 on: August 22, 2015, 07:49:13 AM »
>Apart from provisions, what else would we need to spend money on before leaving tomorrow?

« Reply #631 on: August 22, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
>Apart from provisions, what else would we need to spend money on before leaving tomorrow?

>Given that you already made the trip once with the things you already possess, there's probably nothing you need in that regard. Your health is the sticking point, of course, but if you could buy something here that could fix that problem, you'd have already done it. Maybe something that could boost stamina or energy? Though you imagine anything genuinely effective in your current situation might be more than you could afford; some magic doesn't come cheap.

« Reply #632 on: August 22, 2015, 08:42:49 AM »
>"Reminds me of a fairy I met back in Easthaven."
>Select a waterproof one that can be easily accomodated, and assuming we can't think of anything else or Kyouko doesn't point out anything else, go check out.

« Reply #633 on: August 22, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
>"Reminds me of a fairy I met back in Easthaven."
>Select a waterproof one that can be easily accomodated, and assuming we can't think of anything else or Kyouko doesn't point out anything else, go check out.

>Kyouko giggles. "Did she twinkle in the dark, too?"
>Kyoko wanders off as you mull over the sleeping bags, eventually settling on a small black one for 49 guilders. It's a bit on the pricey side, but it seems sturdy enough to last you for a good few years, assuming you... still have them. There's probably something else here worth your guilders, but your mind is fuzzy and it feels like you've been shopping forever. It'll do.
>As you amble towards the shopkeeper with your purchases in tow, you hear Kyouko cheerfully call out behind you. "Here, what do you think?"

« Reply #634 on: August 23, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
>Turn and look.

« Reply #635 on: August 23, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »
>Turn and look.

>You turn around to see Kyouko wearing a wide-brimmed sun hat tied with a bright green ribbon that nearly matches her hair. She grins and pivots around on one foot.
>"How's it look?"

« Reply #636 on: August 24, 2015, 12:46:50 AM »
>Smile. "It works for ya."

« Reply #637 on: August 24, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »
>Smile. "It works for ya."

>"Thanks! I think I might buy it. A good sun hat is a useful thing to have! And we've got a long walk ahead of us, after all."

« Reply #638 on: August 24, 2015, 01:59:44 AM »
>"Oh yes we do."

« Reply #639 on: August 24, 2015, 02:07:11 AM »
>"Oh yes we do."

>Kyouko puts a hand on your shoulder and gives you a gentle smile. "We'll get there, don't you worry."

« Reply #640 on: August 24, 2015, 02:29:02 AM »
>"Thanks. But right now, I'm more worried about being able to leave at all, if Ringo doesn't come through."

« Reply #641 on: August 24, 2015, 02:32:27 AM »
>"Thanks. But right now, I'm more worried about being able to leave at all, if Ringo doesn't come through."

>"If Ringo doesn't come through, we'll just come up with something else!" she says, as though doing so presented no particular difficulty.

« Reply #642 on: August 24, 2015, 04:39:29 AM »
>Chuckle. "My, we are optimistic."

« Reply #643 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:34 AM »
>Chuckle. "My, we are optimistic."

>"We are optimistic!" she says emphatically. "There's no problem that isn't made easier by a positive attitude!"

« Reply #644 on: August 24, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »
>Think back. Didn't she have that on a banner on her wall?

« Reply #645 on: August 24, 2015, 06:54:07 AM »
>Think back. Didn't she have that on a banner on her wall?

>It's a little fuzzy now (everything is a fuzzy little now), but you think her wall scroll actually said "Embrace every morning with a smile."

« Reply #646 on: August 24, 2015, 09:29:21 AM »
>Feel almost a little bad for dragging her into this mess. Life and death fire journeys don't seem to suit this girl.
>Too late now, though.
>"Well, you're right, worrying about it isn't going to do us a lot of good, is it now. Did you need anything else from here?"

« Reply #647 on: August 24, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
>Feel almost a little bad for dragging her into this mess. Life and death fire journeys don't seem to suit this girl.
>Too late now, though.
>"Well, you're right, worrying about it isn't going to do us a lot of good, is it now. Did you need anything else from here?"

>Your companion almost seems too... innocently cheerful for such dire scenarios, but what's done is done. You doubt she'd brook disagreement at this point, anyway.
>"Did I need anything else from here...." she muses. "Hmmm.... Well, maybe I should pick up some new shoelaces for my boots, too. The ones I have at home are getting kinda frayed. Can't have them wearing out on the trail!"

« Reply #648 on: August 25, 2015, 04:10:29 AM »
>"Take your time, best to get everything in one shot."

« Reply #649 on: August 25, 2015, 04:51:38 AM »
>"Take your time, best to get everything in one shot."

>"I won't take long; don't worry!"
>And with that, she ducks off into another aisle in search of shoe laces.

« Reply #650 on: August 25, 2015, 05:18:54 AM »
>While we're waiting, let us ponder a moment. Assuming that everything goes well here, we get our cure and get to go home. Let us further assume that things didn't go well with the spiders, and that when we go back, we have to go back into that hole after them. What didn't we have that we missed the last time?

« Reply #651 on: August 25, 2015, 05:33:59 AM »
>While we're waiting, let us ponder a moment. Assuming that everything goes well here, we get our cure and get to go home. Let us further assume that things didn't go well with the spiders, and that when we go back, we have to go back into that hole after them. What didn't we have that we missed the last time?

>A small army.
>More seriously, there are all manner of things which might be useful for tackling a horde of giant spiders in a network of dark caves. Acid-repellent clothing, potent antivenoms, a light source that wouldn't require a limb to hold, wide-area incendiary weapons.... Frankly, you don't know that you're the best person for the task. If Marisa couldn't handle the place, well... you can't really hold a candle to her destructive abilities; if the spiders are still a clear and present danger, it's not going to be a one-woman job.

« Reply #652 on: August 25, 2015, 06:19:08 AM »
>Certainly not on a budget of 44 guilders.
>Let's just wait for our guide-dog then, and head back to the guild when she's ready.

« Reply #653 on: August 25, 2015, 06:58:51 AM »
>Certainly not on a budget of 44 guilders.
>Let's just wait for our guide-dog then, and head back to the guild when she's ready.

>Oh, the things you could do with more money and more time.
>You go pay for your purchases while Kyouko putters around the store for a few more minutes, eventually reappearing at your side with a brightly-colored water bottle in tow.
>"It's kinda cheerful-looking, don't you think? And bigger than the one I have at home, too; we've got a long trip ahead, after all. Gotta stay hydrated! Oh, and I bought one of these things," she says, shaking a thin corded bracelet with one hand and frowning thoughtfully in its direction. "It's supposed to keep mosquitoes away from you. I'm not sure how well it works, but it might be handy. I guess we'll see!"
>Kyouko begins to expound on just how good a bargain the shoe laces were as you start plodding back towards the guild, although you scarcely hear her. Well, it would be hard to miss that voice, but her words are vague and it takes too much effort to pay attention to them all. Streets and shops and bands of people pass by in a murky haze and somehow you find yourself in front of the guildhall once more.

>"That was pretty silly of him," Kyouko says. "Don't you think?"

« Reply #654 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
>Blink. "What?"

« Reply #655 on: August 25, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »
>Blink. "What?"

>"About the balloons," she says.

« Reply #656 on: August 25, 2015, 09:00:15 AM »
>Going to go out on a limb and wager we didn't catch any of that?

« Reply #657 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »
>Going to go out on a limb and wager we didn't catch any of that?

>You think... there was something about a... parade, maybe? Or was it some kind of concert? You... may have glazed over most of that one.

« Reply #658 on: August 25, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
>"Sorry, Kyouko, I'm.... I'm not really with it."

« Reply #659 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
>"Sorry, Kyouko, I'm.... I'm not really with it."

>"Oh." Her ears wilt. "Oh, I'm sorry."