Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 46329 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2015, 06:16:13 AM »
>"In her garden, about three day's travel from here. And you don't want to know where. Trust me, she doesn't want any more guests. The only reason she didn't kill me is because I was useful to her."

« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2015, 06:26:42 AM »
>"In her garden, about three day's travel from here. And you don't want to know where. Trust me, she doesn't want any more guests. The only reason she didn't kill me is because I was useful to her."

>"Sounds like you're getting all the breaks," she says, then gives you another once-over, her eyes resting briefly on Kumokirimaru. "Anyhow, you want to check your weapons at the door and step in somewhere more comfortable for a bit?"

« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2015, 06:36:52 AM »
>Still not easy giving up that blade, but, unbelt it.
>As we hand it over. "Just be good to it, okay? I wouldn't have got away from that spider without it."

« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
>Still not easy giving up that blade, but, unbelt it.
>As we hand it over. "Just be good to it, okay? I wouldn't have got away from that spider without it."

>You some reluctance, you remove your sword from your side and hand it over to the gatekeeper with spare hands at the moment - which is to say: not Aika.
>"You've got my word," she replies readily, tilting the blade to get a better look at the writing on the hilt.
>"And the rest of them," her boss says dryly.

« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
>"Yeah, yeah, I'm just not as attached to the kunai as I am the katana."
>Disarm the rest of the way.

« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
>"Yeah, yeah, I'm just not as attached to the kunai as I am the katana."
>Disarm the rest of the way.

>You take out the rest of your weaponry and deposit it on the counter of the gatehouse.
>"Is this some kind of writing?" the gatekeep asks, gesturing at Kumokirimaru's hilt with her finger.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:08:27 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
>What was it that those eggheads told us about that writing again?

« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
>What was it that those eggheads told us about that writing again?

>That it was Freelands Archaic, of which little is known and few good examples survive - a language you gather predates the colonization of the Outer Freelands by Val Razua and other major nations. You were told Professor Kamishirasawa could likely translate at least some of it, though a full translation might be beyond current archaeological knowledge. In either case, you have no idea what it actually says.

« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
>"Yup. Apparantly the language is called 'Freelands Archaic', so I was told by the university people I met." Pause and smile. "They made a pretty big deal out of it, too. I had tried to find someone to translate it, but that's proved to be a bit of a challenge."

« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
>"Yup. Apparantly the language is called 'Freelands Archaic', so I was told by the university people I met." Pause and smile. "They made a pretty big deal out of it, too. I had tried to find someone to translate it, but that's proved to be a bit of a challenge."

>"Ooo...." The gatekeeper holds your sword up gently to get a better look at it, clearly impressed.
>"Fancy," her boss says more mildly, then gestures towards the inside of the gates. "Now c'mon."

« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »
>And we gain access after all. Pleasant surprise.
>Follow those banana pants.

« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
>And we gain access after all. Pleasant surprise.
>Follow those banana pants.

>Feeling just a touch surprised at the invitation, you follow after brightly-garbed rabbit. But rather than heading to the mansion itself, she leads down one of the garden paths, towards the gazebo you spotted earlier. As you pass out of sight of the gatehouse, she stops abruptly and turns around. There is a serious gleam in her eyes.
>"And now that we're alone, I'd like to know exactly who this Yuuka is and where you met her."

« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
>"I'm getting the feeling you know who she is already."

« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2015, 10:19:18 AM »
>"I'm getting the feeling you know who she is already."

>"Then why don't you go first?"

« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2015, 11:12:04 AM »
>"Fine. If you want me to say it was Yuuka Kazami, then I will. At least I'm pretty sure she was. She never mentioned her name when we were talking."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:20:11 AM by Wildsour »

« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
>"Fine. If you want me to say it was Yuuka Kazami, then I will. At least I'm pretty sure she was. She never mentioned her name when we were talking."

>"Yuuka Kazami died half a century ago, you realize?" Something about her tone sounds less dismissive than the words would imply.

« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
>Is that consistant with what we've heard about her?

« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
>Is that consistant with what we've heard about her?

>Sekibanki did say she was presumed dead after some kind of incident during the Wild Surge, which would be around 50 years ago now, give or take.

« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »
>"I had heard that everyone thought she was dead, but there was no body ever recovered. The woman I met seemed to fit her reputation, and so did her garden. If it wasn't Yuuka, it was someone doing a very good job filling her shoes."

« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
>"I had heard that everyone thought she was dead, but there was no body ever recovered. The woman I met seemed to fit her reputation, and so did her garden. If it wasn't Yuuka, it was someone doing a very good job filling her shoes."

>"If you really did meet her," she says dryly, "you've done a remarkable job of remaining in one piece. Where was this?"

« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2015, 04:33:20 AM »
>"I think that's the third time you've asked me that. Why's it so important to you?"

« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2015, 04:39:44 AM »
>"I think that's the third time you've asked me that. Why's it so important to you?"

>"Why's it so hard to answer?"

« Reply #262 on: July 20, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »
>"Because I've met her, and I know that the next person she meets probably won't be as lucky as me. I was potentially useful to her, that might not be true for the next person. I think it's safer if people don't know where to find her, then they won't be tempted to go visit her."

« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2015, 05:30:47 AM »
>"Because I've met her, and I know that the next person she meets probably won't be as lucky as me. I was potentially useful to her, that might not be true for the next person. I think it's safer if people don't know where to find her, then they won't be tempted to go visit her."

>The rabbit chuckles and shakes her head. "I have absolutely no intention of going looking for her, believe me; I've got enough lunatics to deal with as it is. But if you really want me to believe you're here on the bidding of a long-dead misanthrope, it would help a bunch if you could tell me where you met her."

« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
>"All right, fine."
>Produce our map, and point to the location of Yuuka's abbatoir.
>"I found her there."

« Reply #265 on: July 20, 2015, 06:17:19 AM »
>"All right, fine."
>Produce our map, and point to the location of Yuuka's abbatoir.
>"I found her there."

>You dig out your map, with all its scribbled notes, and show the rabbit. She mulls it over with pursed lips and some measure of surprise.
>"Well, what do you know," she says after a few moments. "Maybe you actually did."
>She scrutinizes the map a little more, then pulls herself upright and fixes you with a serious expression. "So. What in the world does Yuuka Kazami want with a lunar orchid?"

« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2015, 06:29:38 AM »
>"Apparantly, she finds it very pretty, but she doesn't have one of her own. So she wants to add it to her garden."

« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:50 AM »
>"Apparantly, she finds it very pretty, but she doesn't have one of her own. So she wants to add it to her garden."

>She raises an eyebrow. "And that's it? Because it's pretty? No ulterior motives? No flower voodoo nonsense? You'll forgive me if I don't exactly trust her."

« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2015, 06:43:28 AM »
>"I'm not keen on trusting her, myself. The thought that she could just kill me when... If I get back there has occured to me. But I really do think she just wants to be left alone down there. If the world thinks she's dead, I think she'd be okay with that, it means less people crashing into her little slice of paradise down there."
>"Speaking of, does that location have some meaning or something? Is that where she's supposed to have died?"

« Reply #269 on: July 20, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »
>"I'm not keen on trusting her, myself. The thought that she could just kill me when... If I get back there has occured to me. But I really do think she just wants to be left alone down there. If the world thinks she's dead, I think she'd be okay with that, it means less people crashing into her little slice of paradise down there."
>"Speaking of, does that location have some meaning or something? Is that where she's supposed to have died?"

>The rabbit shakes her head. "Nah, that was way down south, back where the war was. Don't think there's very much special about this corner of the world at all, 'cept nobody goes there." She throws you a sidelong glance. "Almost."
>She takes a deep breath and lets it out as a sigh. "So let me see if I've got this straight. Someone in Easthaven poisons you, you fly all the way out here looking for a cure and somehow Yuuka bloody Kazami is the best person you can find to help you?"