Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 45897 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »
>"Me and a friend, if you're my size." Did you get that from a man in a blue box?
>We don't need anything too heavy or too fancy, so let's see if we can find something the right size in a dark grey, or black.

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »
>"Me and a friend, if you're my size." Did you get that from a man in a blue box?
>We don't need anything too heavy or too fancy, so let's see if we can find something the right size in a dark grey, or black.

>The rat grins. "Sounds right romantic, it does."
>You sift through the scarves, eschewing numerous floral prints and ones too thin to adequately mask the blight. Eventually you settle on a fairly lightweight but opaque number in dark grey linen with a subtle pinstripe pattern. You'd need some privacy and a mirror to see how well you can hide your disease with it, but it looks promising.

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 01:23:55 AM »
>And it doesn't clash with our gloves?
>Assuming no, "Maybe I'll give that a shot when winter rolls around. For now, though, I think this one'll do me."

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 01:46:25 AM »
>And it doesn't clash with our gloves?
>Assuming no, "Maybe I'll give that a shot when winter rolls around. For now, though, I think this one'll do me."

>Does black really clash with anything?
>"Right you are," she says crisply. "Now is there anything else ya need? Pair of good shoes, maybe a nice dress if ya ever got someplace swanky to be? Whatever it is, I'm sure we can dig ya up somefink ya fancy; always plenty to choose from here, yes sir."

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 02:24:40 AM »
>"So I see. I'm not sure I've seen a store in this city that has quite as much selection."

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 02:54:27 AM »
>"So I see. I'm not sure I've seen a store in this city that has quite as much selection."

>This draws a broad toothy grin from the rat - you could even think it was genuine. "Why, thank ya kindly, ma'am; we do our best."

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 03:20:41 AM »
>"But I think I've got all I need for the moment."

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 03:28:59 AM »
>"But I think I've got all I need for the moment."

>She nods. "Right you are. That'll be 14 and a half guilders, then."

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »
>Count out the dough.
>"Let me ask you something else, though, miss...?"

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2015, 03:51:26 AM »
>Count out the dough.
>"Let me ask you something else, though, miss...?"

>You produce the requested sum of money.
>"Call me Iori," she says.

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2015, 04:05:45 AM »
>"Iori. I'm Nazrin, by the way. Do you know where the nearest greenhouse to here is? I'm a Seeker, and a client of mine is looking for a specific flower."

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2015, 04:25:06 AM »
>"Iori. I'm Nazrin, by the way. Do you know where the nearest greenhouse to here is? I'm a Seeker, and a client of mine is looking for a specific flower."

>"Oh, are they now? Well, I'm not much of a flower person m'self, but there's one just a block or two away from here. Hatani's, I think it was? Go left once you step out the door, then take Pritchard 'til you pass the building with the big 'ol statue out-front. Looks kinda like an upside-down pyramid? Should be able to see the greenhouse from there, real easy like."

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:58 AM »
>Is that one of the ones we visited last time?

« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2015, 04:52:53 AM »
>Is that one of the ones we visited last time?

>You believe so, though some of them seem to blend together at this point.

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2015, 05:07:29 AM »
>Either way, a bit of direction never hurts.
>"Ah, I was close then. Very good. Figuring out where everything is in this city is a task and a half."

« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2015, 05:10:13 AM »
>Either way, a bit of direction never hurts.
>"Ah, I was close then. Very good. Figuring out where everything is in this city is a task and a half."

>"It can be that," she says. "Guess you're a mite new around town, hey?"

« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:07 AM »
>"Little bit. After I arrived, I only got to spend a day or so in town before I had to leave again for a job, and I think I need to have this new job finished before the end of the day so I can leave again." Breathe out a chuckle. "I might really need some new boots after all this is said and done."

« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2015, 05:39:30 AM »
>"Little bit. After I arrived, I only got to spend a day or so in town before I had to leave again for a job, and I think I need to have this new job finished before the end of the day so I can leave again." Breathe out a chuckle. "I might really need some new boots after all this is said and done."

>"Well, if you're ever around this way again and in need of some shoes that'll last ya, you know where to come."

« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2015, 06:03:07 AM »
>"That I do. And I suppose I'd best get back to work, at that. Thanks for the help."
>Maybe big city life agrees with rats, makes 'em nicer?
>Depart and follow those directions.

« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
>"That I do. And I suppose I'd best get back to work, at that. Thanks for the help."
>Maybe big city life agrees with rats, makes 'em nicer?
>Depart and follow those directions.

>Iori tips her hat at you. "Be seein' ya!"
>She was... honestly she almost seemed... decent? Is that even possible?
>You pay the woman her money, depart the shop, and within ten minutes are in front of the greenhouse. Seems you weren't very far away, after all.

« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2015, 07:03:14 AM »
>Suppose this is gonna be the place manned by  the surly badger. Balance out the nice rat.
>Allons-y!
>But first, find some cover so we can change unmolested.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:05:41 AM by Wildsour »

« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
>Suppose this is gonna be the place manned by  the surly badger. Balance out the nice rat.
>Allons-y!
>But first, find some cover so we can change unmolested.

>You attempt to find somewhere out of the flow of traffic to change into your new purchases and divest this heavy cloak before walking to a literal hothouse. You eventually settle for a short alleyway between a postal depot and a financier's office with a needlessly shiny downspout. Really, you'd like a proper mirror to be doing this, but after some fussing and poofing of your scarf, you're]reasonably sure the blight is concealed. You just appear to be making a dubious fashion statement instead. Well, you'll put up with it; you're too busy literally dying to worry about embarrassment. You trek back to the greenhouse and walk inside.

>It actually takes a few minutes to flag someone down, between the sheer size of the greenhouse and all customers milling about within it. For just a moment when you enter, your mind returns to that other sea of flowers - so much more breathtaking and treacherous in its beauty. You can feel the smooth texture of the vines against your skin, their merciless grip around your throat. But only for a moment. Really, the greatest hazard here is getting bored of waiting in line.
>Eventually you are approached by a brown-haired fairy holding a metal watering can nearly as large as she is.
>"How can I help you?" she practically shouts.

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2015, 08:06:29 AM »
>A fairy, huh. Much less odious company than your standard rat, but potentially not entirely as helpful as the last one.
>"I was wondering if you had a flower here called a lunar orchid."
>That was what it was called, right? Yes, yes it was.

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
>A fairy, huh. Much less odious company than your standard rat, but potentially not entirely as helpful as the last one.
>"I was wondering if you had a flower here called a lunar orchid."
>That was what it was called, right? Yes, yes it was.

>"Nope!" she answers cheerfully. "We have sun orchids, though! And the sun is way brighter than the moon anyway."

« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »
>"Yes, it is that. But I'm afraid my client was very specific. Have you run out of them? Lunar orchids, I mean."

« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2015, 08:24:40 AM »
>"Yes, it is that. But I'm afraid my client was very specific. Have you run out of them? Lunar orchids, I mean."

>"Don't think so," she says, shaking her head so vigorously that water slops out of her watering can. "They're pretty special, aren't they?"

« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
>"My client said they were rare. She thought that Kaguya Houraisan was the only one that had them in her garden, but she could be wrong."

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
>"My client said they were rare. She thought that Kaguya Houraisan was the only one that had them in her garden, but she could be wrong."

>The fairy's face lights up. "Oooo... Lady Houraisan!" She nods emphatically. "Yes, that's one of hers! Very special. I hear they're really pretty."

« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
>"So... They really don't grow anywhere else in the city?"

« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2015, 09:13:11 AM »
>"So... They really don't grow anywhere else in the city?"

>"Oh, maybe some other rich folks have one, too." Then she leans in and whispers, "I bet just one would cost more than I make in a whole year!"
>"Ah, wealth," she sighs wistfully, looking up at the sky. "You and I were just not meant to be."