Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)  (Read 45933 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 14)
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2015, 08:38:53 AM »
>There's a first. A fairy bemoaning the absence of cash?

« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
>There's a first. A fairy bemoaning the absence of cash?

>Money is useful! And you expect she probably isn't being paid a great deal to water the flowers, either. Fairies are... exploitable. If you can actually convince them to do work in the first place, of course.

« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
>Still, it's a sentiment we can relate to.  But fortune awaits us! After flowers. And while a fairy isn't the best confirmation that the flowers are actually where Yuuka said they were, it's still something.
>"So you've heard of Lady Houraisan and her gardens?"

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
>Still, it's a sentiment we can relate to.  But fortune awaits us! After flowers. And while a fairy isn't the best confirmation that the flowers are actually where Yuuka said they were, it's still something.
>"So you've heard of Lady Houraisan and her gardens?"

>"Oh yes. I hear they're very pretty. Of course, I think the Scarlet Rose Gardens must be even prettier!" She lets out a dreamy sigh. "Flowers are great."

« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
>Well that explains how they got her to work.
>"That'd be Remilia Scarlet's?"

« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
>Well that explains how they got her to work.
>"That'd be Remilia Scarlet's?"

>It's one of the same reasons you see so many fairies working in bakeries. ...provided one can stop them eating all the pastries before getting a chance to sell any of them.
>"That's right! She has a lot of gardens around the city, but the rose garden's my favorite. Our roses aren't nearly as nice.... Uh, they're still totally nice, though," she says, catching herself. "Buy our roses."

« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2015, 09:44:13 AM »
>Chuckle, then give her a wink. "Nice recovery."
>"And does Lady Houraisan have a lot of gardens around the city, too?"

« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:36 AM »
>Chuckle, then give her a wink. "Nice recovery."
>"And does Lady Houraisan have a lot of gardens around the city, too?"

>Your friendly compliment does little to dispel the fairy's abrupt dismay. "They're reasonably priced!"
>"Not like Lady Scarlet, no. Maybe out west, but I've never been that far away from home."

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
>"Well, there is actually another flower I was looking for here. I know it's out of season, but you never know, I could get lucky."
>Heaven knows I'm due for a bit of luck.
>"Bittercress."

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
>"Well, there is actually another flower I was looking for here. I know it's out of season, but you never know, I could get lucky."
>Heaven knows I'm due for a bit of luck.
>"Bittercress."

>The fairy frowns for a moment, then shakes her head. "Don't think we have that one. We have Rock Cress, though!"

« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »
>Have we heard of that one?

« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:19 AM »
>Have we heard of that one?

>It doesn't ring a bell, but you doubt it's related in any way that would be useful to you; there's all kinds of cresses.

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »
>Accept no substitutes, eh?
>"A less bitter sounding flower, but I'm afraid my client was quite specific."
>Smile and shrug. "Problem with being a Seeker. You don't always get to shop for what you want yourself."

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
>Accept no substitutes, eh?
>"A less bitter sounding flower, but I'm afraid my client was quite specific."
>Smile and shrug. "Problem with being a Seeker. You don't always get to shop for what you want yourself."

>Professor Bosqueverde felt that even the Athran's Vigor ought not to be substituted with a generally-superior modern equivalent of that potion, since there was no telling what specific ingredients of the original were responsible for this disease-curing effect; it could easily have been some incidental property of a deprecated component that did not otherwise appear vital to the potion's core function. In this situation, you can't afford to be a test case for which deviations from the original recipe still produce the desired effect.
>"Well, everyone needs to treat themselves from time to time," the fairy insists. "Right now we're having a sale on petunias! Buy one get one free!"

« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
>"Maybe once I get paid. I've still two jobs that haven't paid off yet."
>"And I suppose I'd best get back to them." Offer her a slight, polite bow of the head. "But thanks for all your help."

« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »
>"Maybe once I get paid. I've still two jobs that haven't paid off yet."
>"And I suppose I'd best get back to them." Offer her a slight, polite bow of the head. "But thanks for all your help."

>"They'll still be on sale for the rest of the week!" she adds hopefully.

« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
>"Good to know. I may be seeing you again, then."
>But not for now, let's book.

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »
>"Good to know. I may be seeing you again, then."
>But not for now, let's book.

>The fairy waves as you turn to depart. "Have a nice day! And thank you!"
>A few moments later, you are back on the street, the bustle of the city barely slowing as the sun sheds the last of its light. What now?

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2015, 04:58:36 AM »
>What was the name of Kaguya's pad here in town again, Otokichi?
>Let's go case the joint.

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »
>What was the name of Kaguya's pad here in town again, Otokichi?
>Let's go case the joint.

>Doing your best to recall the details of the maps you studied last week, you set off northward for Ozukitei.

>Even half-blind, it's hard to miss the transition into the richer parts of town. Crowded row buildings give way to manicured lawns and gardens. Walls and gates start to appear. Kaguya's neighbourhood is richer still ? entire avenues of mansions, each in singular style, from stately villas framed by ornamental hedges to gleaming exemplars of architectural excess ? did anyone really think what their garden needed was a golden three-story lion-headed fountain bisecting the walkway? You could live for a decade on the money it took to build that eyesore.
>But for every gaudy edifice, there is another whose tasteful luxury is alluring; there's just so much money here. And with as terrible judgement as some of them obviously have, surely it can't be too hard to convince them to part with some of it in your direction. Maybe offer to find them an even gaudier statue than their neighbours.

>Kaguya's own home, once you finally reach it, is surprisingly understated. You stifle a snicker ? understated by what standard, exactly? It could beat every single home in all of Estval with barely a contest. It only looks understated because you've just spent the past 30 minutes strolling past mansions that wear their opulence on their sleeves. And while Ozukitei certainly is large and doubtless worth an appalling sum of money, there is unexpectedly little ostentation about it.
>It is a low-lying structure of interlocking angular roofs clad in dark clay tile, rising an extra story here and there with tasteful asymmetry. It is ringed all around by white walls capped with the same manner of tiled roof, split in the middle by a large wooden gate; House Houraisan banners flank it on either side. The grounds within are larger than its neighbours, though not expansive ? such is the density of Val Razua that even the rich lack for space ? but there is a certain peaceful simplicity to what you can see through the open gate. There is an ornamental pond beneath the boughs of a large cherry tree, weathered stone lanterns casting the gentlest of light upon its surface, a low gazebo beside a small rock garden with just a few leafy plants to break up its sparseness, and narrow trails of finely crushed stone that meander off into the blurry distance. There is a rather meditative quality to the landscaping, in fact ? a moment's stillness in the bustle of the city, rather than a beacon to announce one's wealth to the world.
>The grounds are also mostly empty at the moment, save for a few indistinct figures milling in the distance, but the gatehouse appears manned by a pair of rabbits wearing Houraisan colors ? neither looking particularly attentive at the moment.

« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2015, 06:46:08 AM »
>Do the streets extend around either side of the compound, and/or is there a visible walkway that circumvents the place?
>Apart from the gatehouse, do we see any other obvious signs of defensive measures?

« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:08 AM »
>Do the streets extend around either side of the compound, and/or is there a visible walkway that circumvents the place?
>Apart from the gatehouse, do we see any other obvious signs of defensive measures?

>The walls around Ozukitei seem to essentially abut against the neighbouring properties, both of which are also gated - though neither quite as well as Kaguya's.
>No.

« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2015, 07:12:27 AM »
>From where we are, can we see if the rear side of the compound is similarly abutted by something?

« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »
>From where we are, can we see if the rear side of the compound is similarly abutted by something?

>No. Even if your vision wasn't as lousy as it is, there's still the matter of the large house and various trees in the way; you can't actually see the far end of the property very well from here. The wall does appear to circle around, but you can't tell what's immediately on the other side of it.

« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »
>And the guardhouse has a clear view of the wall surrounding it, right?
>Does the wall appear at all scalable?

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
>And the guardhouse has a clear view of the wall surrounding it, right?
>Does the wall appear at all scalable?

>It's quite likely they mightn't notice the attempt if you were around the corner, though you have to imagine there's still security on the inside.
>Not without the aid of tools - it's fairly sheer - but you might be able to catch your grapple on the ridge of the roof and climb up that way.

« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2015, 10:20:11 PM »
>Best prepare for the unwanted outcome before we look suspicious to Kaguya's people. Well, more suspicious than we do with our get-up.
>Let's talk a walk around this block of buildings here, see if we can spot an easier way to gain access unobserved.
>And, if we can find a spot to dowse unobserved, then scan Ozuteiki.

« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2015, 11:17:47 PM »
>Best prepare for the unwanted outcome before we look suspicious to Kaguya's people. Well, more suspicious than we do with our get-up.
>Let's talk a walk around this block of buildings here, see if we can spot an easier way to gain access unobserved.
>And, if we can find a spot to dowse unobserved, then scan Ozuteiki.

>You do hope you shouldn't look especially suspicious in your current getup, just a little odd; that was a large part of the point of changing your clothes, after all.
>You take a few minutes to walk around the neighbourhood and see if the backside of Ozukitei presents an opportunity for easier access. The streets here are broad and curved, winding their way gently around the city's core; you are walking for some distance before you can find a way to double-back from the opposite side, and it takes a few minutes more to be reasonably confident you've located Ozukitei again. You can just barely make out bits of that distinctive wall through a stand of trees at the rear of someone else's property - another mansion. Just how many rich people does this city have?
>Traffic in this area is not high, but there are typically at least a few people to be seen along the roads at any time. If you want to conceal your dowsing attempts entirely, you might need to slip onto someone else's property - though the act of dowsing itself is hardly any kind of criminal transgression.

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2015, 12:38:42 AM »
>So there is another manor house and grounds between us and the target back here?
>How guarded does this place look?

« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
>So there is another manor house and grounds between us and the target back here?
>How guarded does this place look?

>It does appear so.
>You see no evidence of guards at first glance. There is a wall and gate, but it's only waist-high and not a serious deterrent to anyone that would want to set foot on the property.