Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 96737 times)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »
Yeah... some douche actually took a lorry on route to GAME, and drove off with the whole thing. Seriously annoyed about that. I'd certainly be up to obtaining Splatoon amiibos... obviously, I'd need to know how much you'd be thinking of selling them for; money be tight~ ><

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
Probably no more than $30 USD shipped for the both of them.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2015, 11:52:11 PM »
Ika Musume outfit confirmed for Brawl Splatoon

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2015, 02:51:02 AM »
Ika Musume outfit confirmed for Brawl Splatoon
wait really

holy shit

de geso

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Callie or Marie?
Spoiler:
took me a while to get that it was calimari

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
wait really

holy shit

de geso
they're saying August for now, but they're also saying Japan only so let's hope that's not the case

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
wait really

holy shit

de geso

http://nintendoeverything.com/splatoon-getting-free-ika-musume-squid-girl-collaboration-costume/

Also, I have seen a couple of pictures and fanarts related to the game.
Spongebob related stuff seems to be popular. :P
This one is funny but perhaps contain spoilers.

You can wish for anything!

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
The Inkbrush is now available, and it's a pretty awesome piece of kit. Despite what it says about the lack of range, it can really spread quite nicely by spamming. Or you can hold it down and whizz off in a line. The fact it's paired with the sprinkler and the inkstirke makes it a pretty nice set; and it's a low price to boot~ XD

Took me a couple of matches to get used to it, but I've really warmed to it~

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
I like the brush a lot more than the rollers, but it seems better suited as an all offense weapon given its speed. It drains ink way too quickly to be a good choice for ground cover though, more efficient options exist

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 12:25:52 PM »
I myself don't use the rolling function of the brush that often, i think the spread is more suited for area coverage.
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
On stages that have very narrow pathways, it's nice to drag the brush because it zips you through, and covers a good portion. Waving it around while turning (and jumping) helps cover more; and if you're a frantic swinger like me, you'll cover a decent amount so you can just dip in and out with ease. The sprinklers help for both covering enemy paint, and giving you a distraction to run back from to recharge. I played with it during the games I had with you Phantasm (I was with my friend Lily; you ended up teaming with her a couple of times), and was constantly up near the top for points overall, so it can be used greatly~

Also, was fun playing with, and against, you; was so cool seeing you ping up after my first game~ XD

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
I had a lot of fun playing with you Tamashii! You are a great user of the paintbrush :)

I only seem to use the roller or brush latelly, since i'm not that great with the other weapons available. Does the clothes we wear actually make a huge difference in stats?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
Realized I needed to add a column to the NNID sharing list. In case your in-game name is different from your NNID, you can put that name in the link in the OP so others can recognize you while playing.

Haven't gotten to try out the Inkbrush yet since I'm broke and would rather save up money for gear at this point, but just watching it makes it seem like a mixed bag. The speed is its main strength, and the first thing I think to take advantage of that is helping teammates get to a Splat Zone at the beginning of a game. But I have to wonder what else it contributes to this kind of match - what does it do to hold a zone, or even to get it back later in a match? The sub and special have their uses in that regard, but you won't always have them available for a number of reasons.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
My husband just picked this up and has enjoyed it though I've yet to give it a shot.  I know there's local 2 player in some capacity, but is it possible that we can both play multiplayer with other people online like Mario Kart 8?

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2015, 09:29:37 AM »
Not at this moment; it was what Puppy was hoping for so she could play with me as well. Who knows, we could have a patch to allow that to happen, but we have no idea what Nintendo has in store apart from what's already announced...

But hey, E3 is coming, so you never know~ XD

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
My husband just picked this up and has enjoyed it though I've yet to give it a shot.  I know there's local 2 player in some capacity, but is it possible that we can both play multiplayer with other people online like Mario Kart 8?
No, and given how integral the gamepad is to playing the game, it'll probably never come. Additionally, the WiiU is not the most powerful console (local multiplayer MK8 drops to 30 fps) so there's a chance that it wouldn't be able to keep up with such a vibrant and speedy game in local multi.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
And another new map will be made available tomorrow; the Kelp Dome. And just like the previous one, it's free; got to love free additions. Anyone who has played the single player will recognise it as the area you have your first encounter with the Octolings. Will be pretty cool to see how this fares up on the multi-player side of things~ XD

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »
Here's the Twitter announcement for those who are interested. Only the official release time for Japan is given (11 A.M. JST on 6/11), but we can assume this means a 2 A.M. UTC release in general (7 P.M. PDT/10 P.M. EDT on 6/10 for those in the US). Like many others, I was very intrigued by the single-player version of Kelp Dome, and I wonder if there'll be any changes to the architecture aside from opening up all the pathways like normal. Notably, both "spawn areas" in the single-player version are afaik completely inaccessible once you step off, even though they're not much higher than the rest of the stage. The grates are gonna be the most interesting dynamic of this map - they provide high ground over a very wide proportion of the map, but leave you with fewer options to defend yourself from below. A high-risk-high-reward feature by the looks of it. The tower in the very center also suggests Kelp Dome will be another stage with two hills in Splat Zones, perhaps ones that are similar in size to those in Blackbelly Skatepark if they're close to that central tower. However, I feel like they could also fit two regular-sized zones in the other two corners of the map - opposite sides of the stage compared to each other, but (again afaik) equidistant from the two spawn points. That would certainly provide some different strategies in terms of holding and pushing towards a zone, but of course we'll see how it really works in about half a day.

Speaking of new stages, Nintendo's advertisement for Japan's upcoming Splatfest teased a brand new stage that seems to be set on the rooftops of Inkopolis. No name is given, but assuming it's not a Splatfest-exclusive or anything, this is now the 10th multiplayer map that has been shown for the game, and the first to be revealed since the four stages that were leaked by the guidebook. And on that note, Bluefin Depot, one of those leaked maps and another level that was featured (twice!) in single-player, got some gameplay footage in this video starting around 0:45. The rest of the video shows what's in store for the Splatfest, showing how some stages look at nighttime, including Inkopolis Plaza, which is now decked out in preparation for a Squid Sisters concert. I wouldn't mind if they debuted any new songs during the Splatfest or something. Would help keep the atmosphere nice and lively.

EDIT: Apparently I was completely wrong, Kelp Dome only has one zone, centered around that central tower no less. Haven't played Ranked on it yet, but I still feel like they missed a good opportunity for some neat strategies here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:12:44 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:40 PM »
I've been thinking about how I have near to zero friends on the Wii U forgetting that MoTK would probably have a thread on splatatata  :V anyways, added my nnid to the docs and added everyone else on it, hope to have more active online squids ;_;7

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »
The updates keep on coming. Another new weapon, the Splash-o-matic, will become available at the usual release time, 11 A.M. JST on 6/13. It's described as a rapid-fire weapon, so it's likely it'll be in the same class as guns like the Splattershot Jr. and Aerospray. It's also the second weapon to have the Suction Bomb and Bomb Rush combination, which ought to apply a lot of pressure over an area. I know a friend of mine who briefly tried out the Rapid Blaster Deco purely because of this same loadout, so I bet he'll be willing to try this new gun out too.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
Another update. At 2 P.M. EDT, the Squid Sisters formally announced North America's first Splatfest over the in-game Inkopolis News. This Splatfest will occur from Saturday June 20 to Sunday June 21, 9 A.M. to 9 A.M EDT (6 to 6 PDT). There's now a special billboard next to Ammo Knights that presents a most important question for everyone, one that dare not go unanswered:

Team Judd Cat or Team Dog? Better choose wisely. ;)

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
The .96 is such a great weapon to pick off everyone using inferior ranged weapons. And luckily there aren't too many skilled chargers running around.
Also Cold-Blooded is an underrated ability. Ninja squid won't do much good if you're being tracked.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:37:00 PM by Bio »

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »
Aaaaaaand more new content coming to our lovely little Inklings. The L-3 Nozzlenose and the Custom E-litre 3K; two new weapons for tomorrow, if the post was correct. One is a new charger, and the other... I'm not so sure on; but looks like something I'll try regardless~ <3

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2015, 11:51:13 AM »
SplatoonJP made two posts, one for each weapon (here and here). The L-3 Nozzlenose is described as a shooter weapon that fires three rounds at once with high accuracy, and its sub and special weapons are the Disruptor and Killer Wail. What its damage, ink capacity, etc. are like remains to be seen, but undoubtedly they'll be figured out fast. The Custom E-Liter 3K is the same charger we're familiar with, but it has the Squid Beakon and Kraken abilities instead, same as the Krak-On Splat Roller. It's rare for any charger-type weapon to have a special that grants invincibility, but the Kraken is best used in close quarters to break through the front lines, which is the exact opposite of what this gun is for. Finally having another weapon with Squid Beakons is nice though.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2015, 06:30:52 AM »
Just got the Splatoon bundle, really liking the game. Anyone have pointers? Anything you hate seeing so I can not be "that guy?"

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »
Opening of game don't ink the base meticulously, instead get to the middle third of the map and secure the area (maybe get some splats if you are able to get to an advantageous position like the centre of skatepark).
Once you get splatted and respawn you can do a pass of the base while you return to the front lines. It also gives you something to do if in the last few seconds if you are just respawning and can't super jump anyplace.
Anytime during the battle you can super jump to any team mate or the spawn, use it to provide quick backup to team mates or protect your base (in turf wars). If you don't have ninja jump, don't go for risky jumps, sometimes it's better just to swim and flank.
The arrow that sometimes appears on your screen with your team mate's name is them tapping on your icon on the gamepad signalling that they're probably going to super jump to you as soon as they respawn. To prevent them getting jump camped back off to a reasonably safe position. This applies if they are mid jump to, try to at least watch their jump location a bit before you head elsewhere.
Some tips to play against Krakons include destroying their beakons (you can see them on your gamepad map) so that they don't keep jumping behind your team, walking backwards and shooting like they were a pyro, and swimming away from the Krakon as it only swims at 80% of normal squid speed and has a moderate turn circle. Apparently you can also jump over rollers rolling, but this should pretty much be a last resort.
If you are playing with a roller know that you are mainly a support role, like chargers. You can get splats sure, but realise that there are better things to do in turf wars than ninja camping to get the jump on someone.
In turf wars, inking walls does not count for the percentage covered at the end of the game and it charges your special at a reduced rate. This doesn't mean that they are completely useless however. Painted walls don't appear on the map so you can approach enemies without them possibly realising you are coming. It also means you can hide in walls since people don't really paint walls (since they don't count) and jump out and splat everyone, ink resistance is useful here. In relation to this, you can pretty much track the entire enemy team's movement by just watching the map and the paint trails.
Jumping does not increase the distance your gun fires, but it can be of varying use in a firefight.
Main defence up past the first one are useless, the first defence up lets you survive an additional .52 gal shot (from 2 to 3) assuming you don't take any other damage. One attack up upgrade completely negates any defence upgrades, but other than that does nothing since the shots to splat does not decrease.
In splat zones please contest the actual zone, and only charge special in areas close to it, don't ink the bottom of saltspray rig for example.
Know the range of your weapon versus the range of your opponent weapons. If you are using something like the .96, abuse the fact you outrange any other shooter and 2 shot them before they even have the chance to lay any ink near you. Similarly, if you are using a weapon with less range don't try to blindly run into someone with something that outranges you or you will just be throwing away your life.
You can easily look behind you by tilting the control stick so your character turns around and pressing Y to center the camera, this is much easier than swinging the gamepad around.
If you are using the Bubbler, you can pass the shield onto team mates by bumping into them when you have the shield.
Also look up, squids, beakons, sprinklers - all manner of things could be hidden.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
More free content, yes please! Bluefin Depot is the next stage to be added to the map rotation, starting from tomorrow. I love the fact that this game keeps having bits added with no extra cost; plus, it adds that little bit of freshness after players are used to X stuff; especially now this is the 2nd single player map in a row to ping up on there now~

So yeah, get your ink on (tomorrow) or whenever I see any of you; which I have been doing lately~ <3

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Welp, time to go study the single-player version of Bluefin Depot. Unlike Kelp Dome, this map actually looks like it'll have two hills for Splat Zones since the center valley is split in two. A precursory trip through the map also suggests that there can be some very diabolical hiding spots on this map, though they tend to be right next to water or deep into enemy territory, so there's some risk involved. You can even hide along the "underside walls" of the center valley areas. O_O

Also a reminder for anyone in the NA market, the regional Splatfest begins tomorrow morning at 9 A.M. EDT and will run for the next 24 hours. Don't forget to participate and help your team get some nice rewards (and bragging rights)!

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 10:11:46 PM »
I'm afraid America won't be getting a Splatfest tomorrow... Server issues over in Japan when they had their Splatfest means they're wanting to make sure things go smoothly next time. As such, it has been postponed~

Statement here : http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/121950071984/unfortunately-a-matchmaking-issue-was-discovered

Not sure if this will affect the UK one as well, seeing as that isn't far away either, but we'll see~ ^^

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »
Well, if it's that significant an issue that they'd propose postponing it at all, then I'd say it's for the better. As long as it doesn't take like more than a month or something, but we'll hopefully hear word from NoA soon.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 03:25:54 AM by ふねん1 »