Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou Status 2  (Read 118755 times)

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: there'll be an Autumn Reitaisai 2015
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
Like for example, Cercis(Carcharias). Even if she'll be participating in Reitaisai 12, the general respond in some threads are telling her to "f**k off and just do your other stuff"
ah, cis...or maku raco now i suppose lol
I was reading this one thread and it seemed like a lot of people were exasperated that the Tojiko series has yet to come to a conclusion? and literally jumping ship/being too unwell to draw, a lot of the comments were like "Stop giving us hope" or something www

it does feel like kancolle has been picking up speed compared to touhou especially with the anime, but hopefully the new fighter will make more splashes compared to shinkirou
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2015, 02:00:48 AM »
The Nintendo-DeNA partnership should be the news headline in many place now, but the official press release is here.

ZUN: I gained another year. However, lately I have the feeling that the acceleration of time has been reset.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2015, 02:31:57 AM »
It's not every year that a Special Reitaisai event (SP, Autumn) is held, in these cases, it isn't every circle that is willing to take part in every single event. Last year's Autumn Reitaisai had ~1200 circles, let's say about 500 of them couldn't make it to Reitaisai 11 and decided to participate in the next one (which would be Reitaisai 12, but it ended up being the Autumn one instead) and not all of these circles are too skillful or at least experienced to be attending every convention with new material. So basically, there are circles which attended to Autumn Reitaisai and won't be in Reitaisai 12 as participating circles, otherwise I believe the numbers of the next Reitaisai would be around ~4400 (and besides that, there are other Touhou events during the whole year)

2 years between Ten Desires and DDC, and now almost 2 years between DDC and a spin-off game. ZUN got married and had a child. It's pretty normal that the numbers would go down a bit, I mean, fighting games are cool and all but the official non-spinoff games usually bring us an entire new character cast and new plot (useful for manga circles) and new music (for the music circles). The lack of new official material is what causes doujin circles numbers decrease. For instance, Kuroko no Basket had 400-600 circles for a while, when a new anime season aired, it skyrocketed to ~1400.

If you analyze Kancolle's numbers before the anime, it was pretty much constant. The game was always popular to be honest, a free browser game that's easy to play, of course it would be pretty known. And now, Kancolle is going through it's peak with the anime, but it seems to be slowing down a bit already, few months ago it was viral on niconico, but a few weeks ago, a Touhou video reached top 1 ranking again with overwhelming 300.000 views or something. While the most recent Kancolle video had only 100k and didn't even reach the top spot. The game is supposed to be how it is now, a simple game that everyone could play easily, meaning it can't really expand it's grounds to another platforms, otherwise it would lose it's very purpose. It's way easier to create things based on a game that gets updated constantly than on one that gets released in a margin of 1-2 years. Of course we, Touhou fans, have the mangas, but it's very little material compared to an entire game.

Believe it or not, one of the main reasons Touhou peaked at ~2011 was the anime created by manpuku jinja, it was successful enough to get four episodes despite it being fanmade. Japanese people love anime, that's why animations there in Japan cause the original source of a series (Light Novels and Mangas) to sell a lot if they're well made. While Kancolle had help to reach the peak with an official anime, Touhou was the same with a FAN animation, furthermore, I'm pretty sure that Kancolle's anime was made to please the fans and make the game more known, so it won't be getting fanmade animations (it has an official one already, questionably someone would want to do another). On the other hand, Touhou is getting a new one soon, if that "Hifuu Club Activity Record" project goes well (and it seems to be doing really fine), it surely will be something.

Okay, enough with the anime talk. Reminder that there will be Touhou doujin games in PS4 and Vita, and for some reason Japan loves Playstation a lot, meaning that if these games succeed, they will be really popular. Besides the console fangames, there will be the fighting game soon and hopefully Touhou 15 not that far from us.
And If I remember correctly, Touhou is getting a western release soon. The NHK interview was really suspicious, but the written script seemed to be reliable, and even without that, it was a bit obvious that ZUN would like to release his games here in the West too, afterall he experimented putting one of his works on a digital platform.
Touhou is well known outside Japan and it's getting more recognition here outside Japan to be fair. But regarding the numbers slight decreasing, it's because these cool things I stated above are still being done. Other series logic can be applied to Touhou too, if Touhou things weren't being valued at all, than I may would say that it's dying. But seriously, if even Startrek could reach an stable level on it's fanbase, how could not Touhou do the same? And by the way, with Touhou getting released here, it will get a lot more recognition than dumb speculations about it dying (like how it mainly was last year).

Just needed to spit it out, obviously with a bit of slow down from ZUN we would slow down too, and with his projects coming back to it's pace, we will just follow it. That's how the majority of the fanbases work after all.

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: ZUN's 38th birthday
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:21 AM »
ZUN: Thank you for so many congratulatory messages. Pardon me for answering back all of you in one tweet, as it's quite impossible for me to reply one-by-one. My aspiration for the 38th year, is to get that thing out.

Tomorrow (Mar 19), he will announce this year's Super ZUN Beer for the NicoNico Super Conference in a stream.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
ZUN: Thank you for so many congratulatory messages. Pardon me for answering back all of you in one tweet, as it's quite impossible for me to reply one-by-one. My aspiration for the 38th year, is to get that thing out.
Tomorrow (Mar 19), he will announce this year's Super ZUN Beer for the NicoNico Super Conference in a stream.
What would be that thing that ZUN is refering to ? and what was the last super ZUN Beer about, I kinda forgot...

cuc

« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »
It's the same thing he said he'd been working towards for years in the magazine column. I don't think he'd ever spoken this seriously of having a great, aspiring goal. Whatever it is, it's supposed to be some substantial undertaking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:10:19 PM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
http://blog.livedoor.jp/tohomemory/archives/43261373.html

During the NicoNico Super Conference, Hiroyuki-san posed ZUN a question in regards to TPP copyright laws and how they might affect Touhou doujin works. ZUN replied that if someone were arrested in relation to making Touhou derivative works, he would probably complain to the police. Hiroyuki followed up by giving the scenario of an ero artist, and asking what he would do even if it was just like, the worst sort of lolicon (using Ryuichiro Ban as a dummy example).

ZUN: "Even if it's stuff I detest, on principle I will defend them".

Hiroyuki: "Who? Who would you defend; lolicon-Ban-san, or the police's honor?"
("honor" meaning the eastern cultural aspect of saving face)

ZUN: "Nah, I won't be defending the police's honor". (Or rather, "I won't save face for the police")

Hiroyuki: "So, is it still okay if lolicon-Ban-san is making buttloads of money off of his Touhou ero goods?"

ZUN: "I'll trade my permission for buying me something nice" (everyone laughs)

Basically people are saying this was a very cool statement by ZUN in support of the freedom of derivative works. The scenario is a real concern with TPP's potential additions to Japanese copyright law (see post below), where even if the original author allows derivative works (i.e. won't take action themselves), the artist can still be charged. Potential reasons as to why Touhou circles might be charged in particular are unclear, but nonetheless ZUN outright saying that he will defend you even if he doesn't personally approve of the material, is still significant. As pointed out in the post, ZUN could easily say that such a situation would be too troublesome to deal with or that it doesn't affect him, and in doing so (or even if he just didn't give an answer at all) Touhou circles everywhere might have reason to be worried about stepping on some new legal boundaries. However, with this people can have a solid sense of security that ZUN's got their back.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 03:01:37 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »
So under the new TPP, the government can overrule the wishes of the original owner? How the hell is that even legal?

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
even if the original author gives permission, the artist can still be charged

What the **** did I just read? I'm not sure if that's legal in any way. That's like saying all creative works belong to the government by default, and they're the ones that have the final say on what can be done with it.

cuc

« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
Hiroyuki: "Who? Who would you defend; lolicon-Tomo-san, or the police's honor?"
Actually the nickname of the third guy in yesterday's stream is "Ban". "Tomo" is in all likelihood the real pronunciation of his name, but people always call him "Ban-san". He's a NicoNico official responsible for "2-dimensional" (anime and manga) businesses.

The main content of yesterday's stream was showing their visit of Baird Brewery, where ZUN-beer is made. ZUN said he noticed many female visitors at the Super Conference, and black tea and herbs are popular with women. This year's ZUN-beer will be a lager with the fragrance and freshness of herbs.

By the way, he actually said in a recent stream that "neither Hiroyuki-san nor Ban-san can be trusted". Not everyone he drinks with is his friend.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:11:04 PM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
It isn't about "overruling" the rights holder, it's that police could be informed about infringements and a case could be started right away, rather than action beginning only when the rights holder presses charges as it currently stands, which is what leads to doujin culture's ability to thrive from silent agreement between fans and the original author. When I say "permission" above, I mean a casual consent, not giving out the rights. The infringement is still illegal whether or not the rights holder cares to report it, so law enforcement could theoretically go right ahead if suddenly given the authority to. It's like draining all the "white" out of what makes it a grey legal area.
Quote from: TPP draft Article 15.5(g)
With respect to the offences described in Article 15.[1]-[4] above, each Party shall provide: [...] that its authorities may initiate legal action ex officio with respect to the offenses described in this Chapter, without the need for a formal complaint by a private party or right holder.
That's how it works already in many western countries, although in practice it seems like usually law enforcement won't do much unless the rights holder gets involved, since it makes a case more difficult, clearly. The main issue is that the TPP agreement plops in concepts that weren't already in Japanese copyright law, and without extra provisions on these additions you might end up with various unintended side-effects, and it's technically possible for these cases to arise. Some issues could easily be fixed by, for example, adding proper fair use provisions to allow parody that's in line with Japan's existing culture of derivative works. But until something like that happens we'll still be having these discussions.

Further reading: http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Academic/Course_Pages/IP_Theory_13/Papers2Discuss/Kaneko_Japanese_fair_use.htm

@cuc: I can't believe I didn't catch it was onyomi considering I already knew it was Ryuichiro Ban. I'm dumb
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:16:36 PM by Drake »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
That's how it works already in many western countries, although in practice it seems like usually law enforcement won't do much unless the rights holder gets involved, since it makes a case more difficult, clearly. The main issue is that the TPP agreement plops in concepts that weren't already in Japanese copyright law, and without extra provisions on these additions you might end up with various unintended side-effects, and it's technically possible for these cases to arise. Some issues could easily be fixed by, for example, adding proper fair use provisions to allow parody that's in line with Japan's existing culture of derivative works. But until something like that happens we'll still be having these discussions.
Wow, the scary thing about that is I can see this being abused by trolls even worse than DCMA is. So, while the case is in motion, I suppose it would function like a C&D order, or would the affected party be able to continue like normal. BEcause I can see this generating alot of paperwork from some people who and to suppress or just be an asshole.

« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2015, 12:05:37 AM »
It's probably best to think about this in terms of, say, Customs Officers. If they search a box being mailed across international borders and find bootleg copies of Hollywood movies, they'd want to have the right to start doing something about it without having to call some Hollywood producer and ask for permission to confiscate the bootlegs. From that perspective, having to wait for the rightholder to take action against something that's obviously illegal is completely absurd. Copyright law is fundamentally supposed to prevent copying after all, so in most cases it's pretty obvious when something is illegal.

The problem here is just that it doesn't draw a procedural line between blatant copyright abuse and the fuzzier derivative work issues. And, well, the people who enforce the law aren't actually legal experts (otherwise they'd be lawyers, not police), so modifying the copyright law itself doesn't strike me as very meaningful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:07:44 AM by Clarste »

cuc

« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2015, 02:31:26 AM »
First publicized photo of his son!

ZUN: The moment I saw these Invader rush mats I immediately bought one. The son is fully engrossed in repelling invaders

That's an officially licensed Space Invader rush mat.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 02:33:19 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2015, 02:40:36 AM »
it has begun

« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2015, 02:46:32 AM »
> Space Invaders
> Taito

Makes me wonder what it's like for a kid whose parents work in the video game industry...

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
Instead of saying "my uncle who works at Nintendo said Reimu will be in the next Smash Bros. for the PS5," they'll brag "my dad who works at Nintendo said Reimu will be in the next Smash Bros. for the PS5."

cuc

« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
So in today's stream, ZUN got really drunk and rambled a lot of things, including many PR-unfriendly things like, I dunno, cheerfully announcing "the Touhou-related media companies are all my slaves", it seems he said that. The fandom, from stream watchers to people who heard about things second-hand, had been greatly entertained.

I don't think he disclosed any actually important info, but some of this stuff could be on the way to become new rumors and memes. For example, even though he hadn't watched it, the KanColle anime got duly mocked. He said if there'd ever be a Touhou anime, he'd write every word of its scenario. This is not news if you know him - for example, he said for a hypothetical Touhou anime, he'd keep tight control and make it its own story instead of an adaptation, in 2007's Gensou Denshou lecture. Nonetheless, people are exploding  over that.

(Actually, in another occasion he also said he'd make a Touhou anime if people can prove to him that making anime is as fun as making games. Given that the anime industry's management and treatment of its workers are about a hundred times worse than ZUN's hated mainstream game industry, I'd say the likelihood of a Touhou anime shouldn't be overstated.)

Drake

« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:34 AM »
ZUN: Today, I will recommend Ray-Ban sunglasses.

ZUN taking snipes

cuc

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
ZUN: Today, I will recommend Ray-Ban sunglasses.
The context is that recently a lot of twitter account have somehow been hijacked to spam bootleg Ray-Ban sunglasses ads. Also, today is April the First.

He also tweeted yesterday that he may not be able to attend the indie game event BitSummit this year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:07:49 AM by cuc »

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
Reitaisai 12 in Tokyo announced the circle booth numbers and Hall positions. http://reitaisai.com/rts12/4157

I'm located at K36b and Forza seems located at そ08b. We're in 2 completely different sides Forza  :ohdear:

And I'm at N-46a! Also, I will attend TouhouCon in Anaheim, CA this September, so come see me if you pass by!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
And I'm at N-46a!
I will try to make a list of "Spaces I need to visit" like everybody makes. Please keep me reminded when we're closing in on Reitaisai.

Which reminds me, I need to ask Forza if he can purchase me a catalogue for Reitaisai. Even if I am circle entry again, I like having the Reitaisai catalogue as a memory.

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:12 PM »
I'll check you out too. Even though I'm at the table, luckily I have an assistant, so I can make a few runs. But a well-planned list is extra important in that case.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
I'll check you out too. Even though I'm at the table, luckily I have an assistant, so I can make a few runs. But a well-planned list is extra important in that case.
Assuming we're with 4 (Vegas / Ryuuichi / Warugaki) I think I can make a round trip too with warugaki, pretty sure he wants to meet a few artists too because last year it was dramatic. Also last year I had it a bit easier because I wasn't officially "helper" so I could go/do what ever I wanted. I did though fan Ryuuichi for like an hour to finish up his sketches. Poor guy was sweating crazy and every time stopped picking up the fan, quick cooling and then continuing.

This year I will be assisting to avoid being rude/abusive.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
They'll sell catalogs at the venue, cheaper than at stores even.

Fumi

• Dragon of Seven Colors
  • Disaster in Takamagahara
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Well I don't know if everyone know this already but Playism says that Touhou will finally come to the west as they will release Double Dealing Character for the US catalog.

http://playism-games.com/article/touhou-finally-coming-to-the-west

I didn't read it about being translated but yaaay, finally!

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: WaHH Chapter 28 delayed
« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
ZUN retweeted Playism's announcement, and...
ZUN: *Doki doki doki* [sound of heart beating nervously]

Playism Japan: Touhou (the East) has come to the West.

ZUN: The feeling of that word. Somehow I had felt it 15 years ago.
Did he just made a Seihou joke?

On the manga front:
azmaya: Due to health issues, I had been hospitalized since the end of March until the start of this week. WaHH Chapter 28, scheduled for released in this April's Febri magazine, has been put on hold... I was not seriously ill, and I've been recovering well, so please don't worry! Sorry for causing everyone trouble!

ZUN: So that's what happened. Please take good care of yourself.

azmaya: I'm really sorry about suspending the manga! I'll try to recover as quickly as possible!

ZUN: |-`).。oO( Better not say anything inappropriate like "I've been at my busiest, so you helped me by freeing me from writing the next chapter's script".

So it looks like this month's WaHH has been delayed to June, and ZUN is at the height of game development.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:23:44 PM by cuc »

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou Status 2: my tax inspector asked me how to beat Stage 5
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:44 AM »
Tōno Mamare, the author of popular fantasy novels "Maoyu" and "Log Horizon", has been accused of tax evasion. In reaction to the news, ZUN tweeted:

ZUN: This is why if you want to do creative work by yourself, you must learn about taxes. You really had no idea where your earnings came from.

ZUN: |-`).。oO( ... One thing I completely forgot: when I had a tax inspection a few years ago, the official said to me, "we will be inspecting doujin activities from now on. I hope you can use your fame to help spread some basic knowledge about tax."

ZUN: It may come as a shock to have them call to check your taxes, when all you've done is making things as an individual. However, they will definitely come when your income reaches a certain level, and you should be prepared.

ZUN: That tax inspector also said, "I can't beat Stage 5 at all. Please teach me." I wonder how he has been doing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:44:05 AM by cuc »

Drake

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2015, 05:26:07 AM »
Oh good, I was about to make a post about that. Judging by the number of retweets he's received in merely two hours, ZUN's word goes quite a ways even when he doesn't say much. It's almost all he has to do to promote awareness.

It's pretty hilarious how much Mamare had made without documenting any of it, too. Pretty mind-blowing.

« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:11 AM »
I saw this on my notification as well, wondering what it is about. Though after seeing what it is, decided not to look further. So that's what happened. I guess that's why knowledge on legal matters in the current society is very important. And I'm afraid I barely have enough.
Still, ZUN really comes prepared. Since it's a matter of his life's work after all.

So, what happened to him? It wasn't done on purpose, right?

And that last remark about not being able to beat stage 5 is just amusing.