Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61862 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #450 on: May 14, 2015, 03:32:45 AM »
>"Maybe not, but it's not a question of what it means to me. I've never met your friend. So, what are you going to get her?"

« Reply #451 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:00 AM »
>"Maybe not, but it's not a question of what it means to me. I've never met your friend. So, what are you going to get her?"

>"It was a- I make wood burnings, sometimes," she says. "You might have noticed that, the other night. Well, I was making one for her. I was actually working on it just before you showed up. It's almost finished," she adds. A faint smile, almost unnoticed, plays upon her lips as she recalls it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #452 on: May 14, 2015, 04:48:40 AM »
>"So you need to get back now to finish it, huh?"

« Reply #453 on: May 14, 2015, 05:12:09 AM »
>"So you need to get back now to finish it, huh?"

>Kagerou fidgets. "Well, maybe not now, exactly... I probably only need another evening. Really, it doesn't matter very much in the scheme of things," she adds in a strained voice.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #454 on: May 14, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
>"Still, it'd take you all day to get back there, then you'd have to work on it."

« Reply #455 on: May 14, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
>"Still, it'd take you all day to get back there, then you'd have to work on it."

>There is a pause. "Yeah."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
>"Then I'll expect you to have a nice place set up for me to sleep for a few days."

« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2015, 07:13:30 AM »
>"Then I'll expect you to have a nice place set up for me to sleep for a few days."

>There is a shorter, more uncertain pause. She turns to you, looking a little confused. "What?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2015, 07:48:12 AM »
>"I'm going to need a place to collapse, and I don't feel like paying the inn for it."

« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »
>"I'm going to need a place to collapse, and I don't feel like paying the inn for it."

>"Oh, well, um...." Kagerou looks down at the ground. "I don't want to feel like I'm abandoning you here."

« Reply #460 on: May 14, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
>"If you were 'abandoning' me, you wouldn't be here talking about it, you'd have just done it. You gave me a head start when you didn't have to."
>"And don't forget. I AM a Seeker. This kinda thing is what I do."

« Reply #461 on: May 14, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »
>"If you were 'abandoning' me, you wouldn't be here talking about it, you'd have just done it. You gave me a head start when you didn't have to."
>"And don't forget. I AM a Seeker. This kinda thing is what I do."

>She chuckles nervously. "Yes, I suppose that's true. I just... wish there was more that I knew to tell you. I've lived here for years, and yet twenty miles out and you're already doing most of the navigation."

« Reply #462 on: May 14, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »
>Grin. "Take that as a sign that I can find my way back, too."

« Reply #463 on: May 14, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
>Grin. "Take that as a sign that I can find my way back, too."

>She smiles tentatively back. "Are you sure you're okay with this?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
>Nod.
>"It's one thing to have a friend in the thick of it. It's another thing to know you're dragging that friend away from something important."

« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
>Nod.
>"It's one thing to have a friend in the thick of it. It's another thing to know you're dragging that friend away from something important."

>"Seems so selfish..." she whispers. The guilt on her face is plain to see, but she seems to be slowly coming to terms with what you've said. She takes a deep breath and looks up at you once more, a kind of hesitant determination in her eyes. "Promise me I'll see you again."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2015, 10:55:35 PM »
>"I'll do everything in my power. Don't worry, I'm a seeker."

« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2015, 11:47:41 PM »
>Nod. "Count on it. I got too much to get back to."

« Reply #468 on: May 15, 2015, 12:17:19 AM »
>Nod. "Count on it. I got too much to get back to."
>"I'll do everything in my power. Don't worry, I'm a seeker."

>She smiles slightly. "Guess that's not just for show." Then she takes a last deep breath and reaches her resolution. "Be safe."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #469 on: May 15, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »
>"You too!"

« Reply #470 on: May 15, 2015, 12:37:19 AM »
>"You too!"

>Kagerou nods, then turns and heads back the way you came, her footsteps crunching the dry and brittle scrub beneath them. Slowly growing fainter. In another minute, you are alone in the wilderness once more, beneath the reddening sky. That's one more promise to keep.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #471 on: May 15, 2015, 01:29:50 AM »
>Let's carry on.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:35:03 AM by Sivrup »

« Reply #472 on: May 15, 2015, 04:51:52 AM »
>Let's carry on.

>You continue onward, across expanses of dry scrub, over forested hills, and through fields of stocky wildflowers and tall grasses. The wisps of pink in the sky burn brilliant crimson, then fade to deepest blue as the stars begin to show themselves. A few strategic questions and offerings of food glean useful tidbits from the local mouse population once they are out in force ? a small gorge avoided here, a difficult hill detoured around there. None of it is earth-shattering, but five minutes of conversation is a fair price for ten minutes walking saved, particularly as you start to tire. You heed Sekibanki's warning about drinkable water and ration yourself accordingly; it is not until well after sunset that you find a small stream where you can refill your canteens.
>Fortunately, it seems the worst of the day's journey was already passed by the time you and Kagerou parted ways; in the end, you think you've covered pretty good ground for one day ? if not by virtue of speed, then through sheer persistence. You keep walking as long as you feel your legs and consciousness can reasonably carry you, growing steadily slower as the night deepens, but refusing to stop altogether until an embarrassing stumble over a gnarled root forces you to concede that you're reaching your limits.
>You spend the next ten minutes scouting for a suitable campsite and settle upon the backside of a lone rocky outcropping, beneath the shade of a very large maple. It is not as ideal a spot as the glen Kagerou led you to last night, but it'll do.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #473 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:45 AM »
>Check the area a bit to make sure nothing suspicious seems to cross through here as well.

« Reply #474 on: May 15, 2015, 06:32:57 AM »
>Check the area a bit to make sure nothing suspicious seems to cross through here as well.

>A brief search of the surrounding area doesn't turn up anything you'd term either unusual or suspicious. A couple small animal trails, but nothing noteworthy or immediately within your sleeping area.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #475 on: May 15, 2015, 06:45:32 AM »
>It'll do. Get that cloak out to serve as bedding, spare clothes as a pillow, and have something to eat while lying down.

« Reply #476 on: May 15, 2015, 07:09:09 AM »
>It'll do. Get that cloak out to serve as bedding, spare clothes as a pillow, and have something to eat while lying down.

>You take out a few things from your pack to make your camp a little cozier, then have a light snack as you settle down for the night. Your limbs ache, your body is weary, and your mind is dull and thick - you push raisins into your mouth almost unconsciously, but they do take the edge off a growing pang in your stomach. The one bright spot is that you're not quite as exhausted as you were last night, which gives you some hope for tomorrow. You still have at least another day before you're in range of the garden, and no reason to expect the terrain is going to get any easier.
>After a few minutes of light eating, you pack your rations away, take your nightly dose of medicine, and settle down to bed. The ground here isn't all that soft, but the clothing does help somewhat. A nightjar flutters into a far branch of the maple you are beneath and starts to trill. You think you're maybe even tired enough to ignore it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2015, 07:44:04 AM »
>Let's ignore it. Yelling at it takes too much effort.

« Reply #478 on: May 15, 2015, 08:01:46 AM »
>What is a nightjar?
>Does it taste good?

« Reply #479 on: May 15, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
>What is a nightjar?
>Does it taste good?

>It is a kind of nocturnal bird with a very distinctive cry. They hunt insects, you think?
>You have absolutely no idea. You've never heard of anyone eating them. But possibly they taste like chicken.

>Let's ignore it. Yelling at it takes too much effort.

>You decide to lie still and simply ignore the bird as it drones on... and on... and on... and on... and doesn't it need to breathe eventually? As the steady trill of the little bird continues without interruption, you find yourself idly wondering if a nightjar youkai would be able to recite an entire novel in a single breath, somehow. Eventually its voice fades into the background as your ears grow numb to it and your consciousness dims. You are asleep before you're even aware of it stopping.

>You awaken feeling every bit as leaden as yesterday morning, if not moreso. Your limbs are stiff and resent your attempts to move them and your mind feel veiled in fog. The air is damp, and what patches of sky you can see through the foliage above are dull grey. Wonderful.