Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61836 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #390 on: May 08, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
>Tweak neck. "I did, actually, yeah. Not bad for an improv setup, all in all. You?"

« Reply #391 on: May 08, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
>Tweak neck. "I did, actually, yeah. Not bad for an improv setup, all in all. You?"

>"Oh, well enough," she says with an awkward smile. "I may be more human than you are, but I've done this before. Thanks for the cloak you lent me. It helped."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
>"Good, good. I'd have hated for it to be useless."

« Reply #393 on: May 08, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »
>"Good, good. I'd have hated for it to be useless."

>"No, not at all."
>She pauses and look up at the sky, shading her eyes with one hand. Wispy clouds streak across the eastern half of the sky, just thick enough to shade the blue with spots of white. "It looks like a nice day today," she says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #394 on: May 08, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
>"Good. I'd hate to get rained on after last night."

« Reply #395 on: May 08, 2015, 11:05:22 PM »
>"Good. I'd hate to get rained on after last night."

>"Well, I think we're safe from that for a while," she says with a tentative smile, dropping another handful of blackberries onto the cloth.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #396 on: May 09, 2015, 01:32:32 AM »
>Devour more, now is the time for breakfast!

« Reply #397 on: May 09, 2015, 07:46:11 AM »
>Devour more, now is the time for breakfast!

>You continue to toss back blackberries at a hungered pace while Kagerou keeps the pile from shrinking too much by working her way through the bushes. You exchange only a little chatter; though Kagerou seems in slightly lighter spirits than yesterday somehow, there's still a certain awkward tension between you. You know she was basically dragged out of her house by a stranger in the middle of the night and spent it sleeping on the bare ground miles from home. Next to someone afflicted by a mystical plague that she has only that stranger's word isn't contagious. While you more than appreciate her aid, you can't help but imagine the thoughts that must be wrestling in her head about where her obligations to you start and end. How long will she keep going if you don't tell her to go on home?
>Eventually you start to feel you've had enough - if not of breakfast, then of blackberries, anyway. You assist Kagerou with picking a few more for the road, then she ties up the bundle and you return to your camp.

>"There's a easier slope up the other side of the glen about... 10 minutes north of here," Kagerou says while you take your morning medicine and munch on a thoroughly dry cracker. "If you didn't want to climb up the harder way."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #398 on: May 09, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »
>"Not unless it'd take me significantly longer to go that way."

« Reply #399 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
>"Not unless it'd take me significantly longer to go that way."

>"Maybe a few minutes," she says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #400 on: May 09, 2015, 03:59:52 PM »
>"Then I'll be going that way, thank you."
>"In the mean time, what are you planning to do?"

« Reply #401 on: May 09, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
>"Then I'll be going that way, thank you."
>"In the mean time, what are you planning to do?"

>"I think I still know the next few miles well enough to save you a little time," she says. "Beyond that...." There is a long pause. When Kagerou speaks again, it is almost as a quiet sigh. "I don't know."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #402 on: May 09, 2015, 10:14:10 PM »
>"You're already helped me a lot, and I owe you for it."

« Reply #403 on: May 09, 2015, 10:29:19 PM »
>"You're already helped me a lot, and I owe you for it."

>She shakes her head. "If you find what you need, that's payment enough."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2015, 01:12:48 AM »
>Nod and gather up our stuff. "Best get to making good on that, then."

« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2015, 06:16:06 AM »
>Nod and gather up our stuff. "Best get to making good on that, then."

>Kagerou nods. "Right."

>You gather up your things and set off to the north, following the bend of the glen until the steep western wall of it gives way to a gentle grassy slope. The terrain beyond is pleasantly navigable for an hour or two - more meadow than forest, dotted with patches of scrub and only a few large trees - and you set a good pace. The lethargy you felt upon waking recedes a little, though never entirely; there remains an ambient level of weariness that doesn't quite feel like fatigue, and is just present enough to play on your mind whenever you give it half a chance. You try your best not to.
>Sadly, the ease of your day's beginning is more than offset by the terrain a few miles onward - tangled stands of stumpy trees clumped altogether too densely between uneven spurs of rock, with little open ground besides the large field of nettles you were reluctantly forced to circumnavigate. Kagerou's sense of direction becomes less and less certain as you progress, and you are forced to rely more heavily on your map and spur-of-the-moment terrain judgements; there are false starts, short bouts of climbing, and the pace slows dramatically. The map gives you hope that things will get a little easier in another couple miles, but that doesn't make this leg any less onerous.
>By the time you pause for lunch, you have covered less ground than expected and are all the crankier for it. Kagerou is busy picking out stray bits of thorny scrub that got tangled in her dress somewhere along the way.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »
>"You alright? None of those stuck you, did they?"

« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »
>"You alright? None of those stuck you, did they?"

>"Not really," she says, frowning in concentration as she gently wiggles the branch to try and pull it free without tearing something. Even her mood seem slightly frayed.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »
>Nod. If she wants to be that way...
>Give her a decent share of trail rations and divide up the berries appropriately.

« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
>Nod. If she wants to be that way...
>Give her a decent share of trail rations and divide up the berries appropriately.

>You take out some of your rations to share with Kagerou, while taking an equitable share of berries for yourself. She absently mumbles a thank you for the food, still fiddling with her clothing. A few minutes later, she flops back against a stump with a tired sigh and starts to gnaw on a piece of salted jerky.
>"I don't remember it being like this," she says. "I must have been further north or something. Don't know if that was just good fortune or if I'm just as bad at pathfinding as I feel like right now."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
>"When was the last time you were in the region?"

« Reply #411 on: May 11, 2015, 02:08:08 AM »
>"When was the last time you were in the region?"

>"Oh, probably a few years," she says between bites. "Not really sure, to be honest. There's no real reason for me to come out here. Usually."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #412 on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:41 AM »
>Nod.
>"So probably just poor memory, as opposed to things getting shifted around?"

« Reply #413 on: May 11, 2015, 02:52:30 AM »
>Let's not be quite so blunt about. She's obviously bothered by this experience enough as it is.
>Say instead, "Yeah, things have a knack for fading after that long, 'specially if you don't think about them regular."

« Reply #414 on: May 11, 2015, 03:40:55 AM »
>Let's not be quite so blunt about. She's obviously bothered by this experience enough as it is.
>Say instead, "Yeah, things have a knack for fading after that long, 'specially if you don't think about them regular."

>"I've never combed every inch of woods myself, not out this way. I mean, why would I? We're already something like... twenty miles away from home now?" She is quiet for a bit, then slowly shakes her head. "Can't help but wonder if there was a better route somewhere."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #415 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:00 AM »
>"There tends to be, but there's not really time to worry about finding it. Good pathfinding takes time."

« Reply #416 on: May 11, 2015, 03:44:37 AM »
>"There tends to be, but there's not really time to worry about finding it. Good pathfinding takes time."

>"Yeah." Her tone is sullen. "Time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #417 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:15 AM »
>Lunch it up.
>"If nothing else, you're keeping me from being out here alone. That's a pretty big help, too."

« Reply #418 on: May 11, 2015, 04:45:03 AM »
>While we nosh, perhaps we can get her out of her funk with a more optimistic topic.
>"On another note, though, Kagerou, something I've been curious about for a bit now."
>Assuming she indicates us to continue, "This mermaid friend of yours you mentioned before... What was her name again?"

« Reply #419 on: May 11, 2015, 04:52:36 AM »
>Lunch it up.
>"If nothing else, you're keeping me from being out here alone. That's a pretty big help, too."

>Kagerou lets out a tired breath. "Maybe."

>While we nosh, perhaps we can get her out of her funk with a more optimistic topic.
>"On another note, though, Kagerou, something I've been curious about for a bit now."
>Assuming she indicates us to continue, "This mermaid friend of yours you mentioned before... What was her name again?"

>"What's that?" she asks, as you mention your curiosity. The question itself seems to catch her a little off-guard, though after a moment's uncertainty, she replies "Wakasagihime. ...why do you ask?"