Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61849 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »
>"The only thing within the time I've got. I explored every angle I could think of, and a couple more besides, and this seems to be my only option. If I had more time to work with.... But I don't."

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
>"The only thing within the time I've got. I explored every angle I could think of, and a couple more besides, and this seems to be my only option. If I had more time to work with.... But I don't."

>Kagerou is silent for another few moments, then says simply: "I'm sorry this is all that I can do for you."

« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
>"I'm grateful for this much." Smile. "Believe me."
>"And let's not get too grim, shall we? This may be the biggest challenge I've ever had, but I'm a Seeker. Finding things is what I do. And having a reliable partner along only helps."

« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »
>"I'm grateful for this much." Smile. "Believe me."
>"And let's not get too grim, shall we? This may be the biggest challenge I've ever had, but I'm a Seeker. Finding things is what I do. And having a reliable partner along only helps."

>Kagerou attempts to return your smile, though the gesture feels rather half-hearted; you fear you may have pulled the woman into something she's not altogether sure how to deal with.
>"Well, let's hope."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:59 AM »
>"That's the plan."

« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2014, 02:47:52 AM »
>Hey, she volunteered for this gig. We'dve been a fool to turn her down.
>"I didn't come all this way to lose. I got too much to do when I get back home to die here."

« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
>"That's the plan."

>Kagerou chuckles a little uncomfortably, then looks up at the crescent of moonlight as it passes between a gap in the trees and takes a slow, measured breath.

>Hey, she volunteered for this gig. We'dve been a fool to turn her down.
>"I didn't come all this way to lose. I got too much to do when I get back home to die here."

>She nods. "Right."

>The two of you carry on like this for a while, Kagerou leading you over the uneven terrain and weaving purposefully between thick stands of elm and maple, the uncertainty in her frame slowing her pace only slightly. Every now and again you exchange a few words, though she keeps wide of the topic of your illness - deliberately, you have to assume. You're not fully sure if that's intended for your benefit or her own. She asks a little of Braston and your time on the skies, offering only a few words of her own quiet life; you feel this is as much because she believes there is little worth saying about it than any sense of privacy. She appears to lead a humble life in a humble corner of the world and, as best as you can tell, seems content with this. In other circumstances, you would probably be dismissive, perhaps even a little derisive; but as different as the two of you seem to be, it is hard to think ill of someone who is extending themselves so much on your behalf.
>She is not very much like how you might have imagined a werewolf to be - quiet, even gentle. The claws seem somehow unbecoming on her. Were it not for her nigh-instinctive knowledge of the terrain through which you're travelling, you'd probably even have assumed she had place on any serious expedition. Perhaps things are different when the moon is full?

>After a little while, the placid strains of slowly moving water reach your ears from the west, the Grau long silent behind you. It is the first real sign of progress in over an hour, if you're honest.
>"We're getting close to the grotto now," Kagerou says.

>The trees thin to broad patches of tangled scrub and the odd stunted tree clinging stubbornly to increasingly rocky soil as the water comes into view; the change in terrain is abrupt and almost jarring after so long trekking through the homogeneous forest behind you. It is more a small pond than a branch of the river, much wider and more placid than the Grau through still very much longer than it is broad. The opposite shore is framed by a sheer wall of rock, its surface smooth and angular, as though it had been hewn in haphazard fashion by some giant chisel. You cannot immediately spot the quartz formation Kagerou told you marked the grotto entrance, but you're virtually certain this is the place to look for it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
>"It was a quartz formation, right?"

« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
>"It was a quartz formation, right?"

>"Down this way a little further," she says after briefly surveying the opposite bank. She points across to your right, then follows along the shoreline in that direction.
>Before very long at all, you spot what she must have indicated. A large seam of quartz crystal, coarse and smoky, sprouts like some rocky moss along a furrow formed between two angular slabs of the cliff face. It is quite a bit longer than you are tall, running one direction and then another as it follows the contours of the surrounding rock; it really does look remarkably like a large s.
>"Over there," Kagerou says belatedly, pointing at it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
>Let's see if we can get a glimpse at the underwater passage from here.

« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
>Relative trade value of quartz back home.

« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
>Let's see if we can get a glimpse at the underwater passage from here.

>Even were it not for the glimmering moonlight upon the gently rippling water, the distance and angle would make it very hard to see much beneath its surface all the way from the opposite shore. You can't honestly claim to see anything at all.

>Relative trade value of quartz back home.

>You suppose some particularly attractive specimens might be worth something as a trinket, but quartz in general is a very common mineral with fewer non-decorative uses than many. This vein is rather striking to look at, though.

« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
>Hmm. If we can't see if it, would we know how to douse for it?

« Reply #253 on: April 30, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
>Hmm. If we can't see if it, would we know how to douse for it?

>Well, it's presumably some kind of tunnel in the rock, so you imagine it would be easy enough to detect by dowsing, though the impression Kagerou gave you was that it would be pretty easy to find in the proper location, even without it.

« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »
>But if we can't see it from here, then we must not be in the right place, right?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #255 on: May 01, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
>"Don't see the tunnel. Point it out to me?"

« Reply #256 on: May 03, 2014, 12:40:31 PM »
>But if we can't see it from here, then we must not be in the right place, right?

>You couldn't see much of anything beneath the water's surface at such an angle, just the water itself and the moonlight reflected off it. There could be a whole shipwreck down there and there'd be no sign of it unless you were much closer.

>"Don't see the tunnel. Point it out to me?"

>"A few feet below there." Her finger moves downward. "You can't really see it from the surface."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #257 on: May 03, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »
>Follow her finger, see if we can detect anything.
>"I guess you found it going the other way through, huh?"

« Reply #258 on: May 03, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »
>Follow her finger, see if we can detect anything.
>"I guess you found it going the other way through, huh?"

>Her finger is merely pointing at the water directly below the quartz formation. Unless you wanted to break out the dowsing rods, there is nothing in particular you can detect from that direction.
>"Actually, a, um... friend showed it to me once." She fidgets.

« Reply #259 on: May 04, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
>Might as well.
>Produce rods.
>"Mind if I ask how she found it?" Pause. "Or, he, I suppose, eh."

« Reply #260 on: May 04, 2014, 12:48:54 AM »
>Might as well.
>Produce rods.
>"Mind if I ask how she found it?" Pause. "Or, he, I suppose, eh."

>You pull out your rods and aim them at where Kagerou was pointing, trying to get a sense of the shape of the rock, and any tunnels that might run through it. Kagerou gives you a curious frown as you do so.
>"Just exploring, I guess," she says. "She's, uh, a mermaid."

>It takes a few moments of acclimatizing yourself to the resonances of the rock before you, but you can start to sense characteristic changes in its density that feel consistent with a relatively sizable hollow beyond the apparently-solid cliff face. Mapping its shape in any detail would require moving and getting multiple points of reference, but nothing you can sense gives you reason to question Kagerou's description of it.

« Reply #261 on: May 04, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
>Have we ever met a mermaid before? Or know what one is, for that matter?
>Wait, have we asked that before?

« Reply #262 on: May 04, 2014, 01:29:09 AM »
>Have we ever met a mermaid before? Or know what one is, for that matter?
>Wait, have we asked that before?

>You have never met one before, but you do know what they are, yes.
>Not so far as I can recall.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #263 on: May 04, 2014, 01:48:20 AM »
>"Does she live in this pond?"

« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »
>"Does she live in this pond?"

>Kagerou shakes her head. "No. Much further upstream."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #265 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:49 AM »
>Are we going to be heading much further upstream with the path we've decided upon up to this point?
>"Say I came across this mermaid, anything I could say to her to let her know I'm an acquaintance of yours and don't intend to mug her?"

« Reply #266 on: May 04, 2014, 03:37:31 AM »
>Are we going to be heading much further upstream with the path we've decided upon up to this point?
>"Say I came across this mermaid, anything I could say to her to let her know I'm an acquaintance of yours and don't intend to mug her?"

>You don't believe your path, once you cross the grotto, should put you near this river again at all.
>Kagerou cringes slightly at your choice of words. "Why would she think that?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #267 on: May 04, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »
>"Because I'm some random armed stranger. And a seeker, which is about the same thing as a mugger if you ask half the people out there."

« Reply #268 on: May 04, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »
>"I don't mean to imply that she would." assure her, quickly. We don't want her to think we're insulting her 'friend', now do we? "But I also know that, not everyone I've met, or will meet, is as trusting as you were when you saw me."

« Reply #269 on: May 06, 2014, 03:42:11 AM »
>"Because I'm some random armed stranger. And a seeker, which is about the same thing as a mugger if you ask half the people out there."

>This does little to dispel Kagerou's frown. "That doesn't seem right."

>"I don't mean to imply that she would." assure her, quickly. We don't want her to think we're insulting her 'friend', now do we? "But I also know that, not everyone I've met, or will meet, is as trusting as you were when you saw me."

>"I don't think it was anything special," Kagerou says bashfully. "I'm not sure if it's different where you're from, but we don't get a lot of dangerous sorts around here." Then a smile faintly crosses her face for a moment. "And I'm sure she's more trusting than I am, anyway."