Author Topic: Games Showdown (Idea)  (Read 2663 times)

Games Showdown (Idea)
« on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »
Hey there, guys.
I'm new here (should I be posting first in the introduction thread?). Hello to everyone here.
I hope you could give me feedback in a project I'm currently developing named "Games Showdown", as the title indicates.
I started this project about four-five years ago, I don't really remember. My idea was to make a Wc3 mod about Touhou, but since DotS already existed, I decided to drop the project.
About a year ago I decided to continue the project with some modifications: the map wouldn't be totally based on Touhou, but games instead, the gameplay would be more like LoL instead of DotA, mostly because I wanted a fast-peaced game, and lastly, the map would resemble more DotS than the other two games.
Even though the theme is supposed to be games, most of the characters I'm developing/I've developed are from Touhou, since all of my notes, ideas and such were written when I was making the Touhou map.
Still, I'm not much of a skilled-programmer in JASS, so I use the buggy GUI at the moment (I hope to redo this at some point). So far, everything is going smoothly.
I must confess I don't know much of the Touhou universe, but I do like it. That's precisely why I need feedback and criticism about the characters as I don't really know if the girls resemble their appearance in the saga.
Here is the official blog if you want to check it. I'll be updating this thread for more information.

What is Games Shodown all about?

So far an AoS (MOBA) style game. You pick a character, level up, earn gold by killing enemies and buy items. There are some details and differences I'll explain above.

What are some of the differences?

1.- The map. I tried to make it resemble DotS map instead of DotA's/LoL's map.

2.- Abilities scale (as in LoL) with the heroes' stats.

3.- Armor is almost non-existent. I compensate this with high health values. Now all heroes have armor and magic resistance.

4.- Heroes' stats replaced by Power, Attack and Spirit.

4.1.- Power: Does not have any real effect on the hero. Some abilities are enhanced the more Power the hero has.
4.2.- Attack: Increases base damage by 1 per point. Some abilities are enhanced the more Attack the hero has.
4.3.- Spirit: Reduces magic damage taken (formula is Spirit/( 100 + Spirit% reduction ).

5.- Heroes can level up to level 99 (HP, HP regeneration, MP, MP regeneration, attackspeed, and armor growths stop at level 18).

6.- Not all heroes use mana for their abilities (as in LoL). There are four ability systems up to now: Skill, Technique, Boost, Gauge.

6.1.- Skill: Heroes need MP in order to cast their abilities.
6.2.- Technique: Heroes do not need MP to cast their abilities.
 6.3.- Boost: Heroes have a constant 125 maximum MP and a high MP regeneration rate. Basic abilities have low MP costs and at least one of them recover some MP to the hero. The ultimate temporarily boosts the hero and has no MP cost.
 6.4.- Gauge: Heroes have a constant 125 maximum MP and MP starts degenerating either while out of combat or under certain conditions. Basic abilities do not cost any MP and recover some MP on use (damaging enemies with basic attacks also regains some MP). The ultimate always costs 100 MP.

7.- Blessings, Trainings, Jobs and Spells. These are additional bonuses given to the hero at the start of the game.

7.1.- Blessings: Grant the Hero static bonuses. There are a total of 6 blessings: Elven Longevity (+2 HP regen), Dwarven Wealth (+150 starting gold), Undead Perseverance (+175 HP), Wisdom of the Forest (+25 Power), Orcish Ferocity (+12 Attack), and Night-elven Tenacity (+30 Spirit).
7.2.- Trainings: Grant the Hero scaling bonuses. There are a total of 5 blessings: Iron Body (+30 HP / level, +1 armor / level), Unwavering Mind (+15 MP / level), Martial Arts (+2 Attack / level), Arcane Studies (+3 Power / level ), Combat Expert (+1% attackspeed / level )
7.3.- Jobs: Grant the Hero special bonuses. There are a total of 6 jobs: Wizard (+8% amplified magical damage), Bodyguard (+15 extra armor, 10% reduced damage taken from towers), Merchant (+6 Gold per second), Mercenary (+10-15 extra gold when killing enemies), Alchemist (+45 seconds to runes duration), and Spy (+20 base movement speed).
7.4.- Spells: Allows the Hero to cast a powerful spell every long periods of time. There a total of 5 spells: Space-Time Distortion (short-distance blink), Rejuvenation (AoE heal), Windwalk (+16% increased movement speed for 6 seconds, ignores unit collision), Cripple (reduces the target's movement speed by 50%, attack speed by 30% and damage output by 35% for 2.5 seconds), Disenchant (removes most debuffs from the hero), and Divine Shield (shields the hero for 100-900 damage for the next 3 seconds).

8.- Neutral enemies.

8.1.- Normal monsters: Weak monsters lurk here. Poor experience and gold are given as a reward.
 8.2.- Legendary monsters: A hero and two minions lurk at some locations. The experience and gold earned are good. Furthermore, the hero drops a magical rune upon death (runes normally last for 120 seconds).
  8.2.1.- Demon Family: The hero has 30% increased magic resistance. Drops the Magic Flux rune (recovers 1% of the maximum MP per second).
  8.2.2.- Undead Army: The hero freezes his enemies with basic attacks. Drops the Frozen Vengeance rune (+15% increased movement speed, +30% increased attack speed).
  8.2.3.- Ghost Traces: The hero adds a poison effect to his basic attacks. Drops the Lament rune (on-hit effect; slows the movement speed of the victim by 25% for 2 seconds, dealing 5-495 true damage per second for the duration).
8.3.- The Champion: A powerful foe awaits here, waiting for heroes to challenge him. The Champion features the character that will be released on the next version of the map, and grants the characters in the team that kills him the Champion buff (+15 HP regeneration, +10 MP regeneration, +100 Power, +50 Attack, +15 Spirit, +20 armor and 3% increased movement speed; lasts 180 seconds).
8.4.- The Rare Monster: A cactuar. Yes, a cactuar. Grants 1000 bonus gold to the team that kills it.

I think that covers most of the differences. Please note that I'm not saying this as in 'Look, my game is different and better', just pointing some differences between these games.

Anyhing else?

There are Touhou girls.

That's all?

I am afraid yes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:44:34 AM by Say41Plz »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Games Showdown (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 08:55:21 AM »
I hope you know that the current DotS version has a more LoL-based game system than actually DotA in terms of skills/items. The devs had thrown away the DotA base and remade the game into scaling skills based on STR, INT or DEX.

For constructive criticism, to be honest you're making simply a MOBA mod/game with modified values/characters and perhaps different meta. So I am questioning how this is going to be different than your average existent maps. You say the gameplay will be more like LoL and not DotA. Both games have the same gameplay as they are both MOBA games.

Also most important, do you have any solid alpha/beta map already available? Or is it just numbers and text on paper? (Majority of projects always consist of text/numbers, never actual results).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:56:59 AM by Helepolis »

Re: Games Showdown (Idea)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
The attributes I mentioned do not really work like Str, Agl and Int. Power does not grant you any HP or HP regen, Attack does not grant you attack speed or armor, and Spirit does not grant you any extra MP (I'm thinking in removing the Spirit system, though). HP, MP (if there is one) and attackspeed growths work through upgrades,
I've played both LoL and DotA at competitive level, so I know that, even though they are similar, the gameplay is actually a bit different. When I say I'm trying to make it to resemble to LoL more than DotA I mean things such as CC durations, pace of the game, cooldown of abilities, overall balance.
I don't have any alpha/beta map, as I am currently making characters and items in differents maps (then I copy the triggers and dummies into the actual map). The only maps I have available are the ones I listed above.

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:08:12 PM by Say41Plz »