Author Topic: Cloud Atlas - the greatest story ever told in past present future  (Read 2105 times)

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
Can I dare say this is perhaps the best movie I watched in a long long time and I really really wanna go on a rave about it??

The thing is... I dunno where to begin? It starts confusingly, I mean the jumping of time, a man holding a gun to his own mouth, everything seems jumbled up but the story is just intricately carried out, over a smooth gliding surface of worlds and worlds difference all come to the same aspect... that we are all bound to this world to repeat its sentencing over and over again...

At length, there is nothing at all that isn't beautiful.

The soundtrack, oh dear god that soundtrack, watching it being made by
Spoiler:
Forbisher as he struggled through, only to be spat in the face by the asshole composer
is heartwrecking, and I was feeling every bit of it, I stayed on after the credits, just to hear it through, I can't imagine or try to imagine why no one dwell on for the ending, I cried eventually as it ended I guess, only then does the FEELS.JPG smashed me in the face as I recount the entire film.

I guess everyone saw the SINGLE ALONE MALE CRYING IN THE CINEMA now and I am kinda (not really) famous for that now.
Fuck, I want to talk about Karma and shit, but damn this is like WHOAH and I lack words to describe it

So if you watched it, please tell me your thoughts etc. 

FUCK, best 3 hours spent in a cinema this season, and here I thought January till May is stupid movies season. This one took me by the jaw and smashed me with FEELS.  :ohdear:
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Cloud Atlas - the greatest story ever told in past present future
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
Reading the book first helps tremendously in catching on to the movie's pacing, though it's certainly not impossible to follow along otherwise.

I was incredibly impressed with the presentation. This was supposed to be the least movie-able story of all time and they somehow pulled it off spectacularly. I've been singing the book's praises for years and will continue to do so with the movie now tacked on. If anyone is reading this thread and has not experienced either medium for this story, go out and consume at least one of them. (And then do yourself a favor and consume the other.)

EDIT: Also Timothy Cavendish is the greatest of all time.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »
Best old man in a movie award goes to Timo that's for damn sure, oh wait, that is SIR CAVENDISH to you.
watching the part about the butchering of the Fabricants hurt me bad, I was expecting maybe they just kill them or strap them to battery generators but ugh, that was gross and just... aggghh... in other news: everyone
Spoiler:
crossdressing
in the movie are totally awesome and did inexplicably well, so much so I almost can't recognize them. Hugo Weaving makes for the worst dressed Kim Jong-Il (wannabe) ever.
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
I haven't read the book, but I did see the movie and quite loved it. I didn't find it too hard to realize what was going on, in terms of how they were playing with time and reincarnation, and loved seeing how a religion was born.

Which is why it surprised me when I saw complaints about this movie; or rather, complaints of racism for making white people look Asian. That hadn't occurred to me, to be honest - I thought the "pure bloods" of Neo-Seoul were some kind of mutants or something; that they were supposed to look sort of weird and Romulan-ish. I had no idea that one interrogator guy was actually supposed to be Asian.

Overall I thought it was an "epic" story in the pure, pre-internet sense of the word: sprawling, touching on the human condition, arousing all kinds of stormy emotions.

And that's the true-true.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:48 AM »
I did suppose the make up for the Neo-Seoul citizens were a bit weird, but given how Bae is the only Asian actor in that part I wouldn't be surprised, but there was certainly no racism in there far as I could tell, they just had to have the same actors carry out the same roles or different roles, that they were all bound by karma and whats not, to be in that same setting, whether to end up killing or getting killed. (given a bit of future space here: maybe in the future the world is integrated into Neo-Seoul, they did mention the movie if the world's inflation keep getting higher, old Seoul would be buried under, so therefore it puts an exit to what Neo Seoul is, it is built on top of another dead culture, or existence. Maybe the old Koreans, or Seoulians are from other places, and in the future beauty is in the form of everyone wanting to look like Asians and is willing to get ridiculous make up for it or implants for it, hence why they call themselves Unanimity, not say, humans, or Koreans. and they refer to humanity as Purebloods) But everyone, note, everyone's acting was wonderful, and at the end when
Spoiler:
the archivist's face seemed to show a little emotion when Sonmi was leaving the room
I knew, this was meant to be, maybe there could have been better actors, but the Wachowski brothers have left none to chance, this was the best.

It was in a way, I suppose the make up could have been better, likewise what you said there, it is unsurprising to see if in the future mankind may evolve stranger features, what's with all those weird implants the Archivist had, and the Meronyms as well. Tom Hanks still plays all the best roles lol, and I would imagine this to rescue Halle Berry's career.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:10:58 AM by ♛ ビビッドレッド !! »