Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 44529 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #840 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:52 AM »
>"Normally, you'd be right. But this time, I think it's more than just fairies being fairies, if you'll pardon the expression. I got the impression that these fairies were scared to death by what they saw there. And they STAYED scared afterwards. It's one thing for a fairy to react to something, but if that kind of fear hits them and sinks in, then that's something else."
>"But even if this Yuuka is capable of teaching fairies the meaning of fear, it doesn't matter. I still have to find her."

>"What for?" The redhead's eyes study yours closely.

« Reply #841 on: November 25, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »
>Take a measured breath. This woman is a serious woman. If we want her serious help, we need to be serious with her. It's time to be blunt, Naz. So let's meet her eyes and say,
>"Because it's a matter of life and death."

« Reply #842 on: November 25, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »
>Take a measured breath. This woman is a serious woman. If we want her serious help, we need to be serious with her. It's time to be blunt, Naz. So let's meet her eyes and say,
>"Because it's a matter of life and death."

>"It might be," she acknowledges. "That's not very specific, though."

« Reply #843 on: November 25, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
>"I need a healing potion to cure a very old, very rare type of blight. But one of the ingredients of that brew is Bittercress, not just the plant, the flower. Which won't be available for years. But if the reports are right, I can find those flowers in Yuuka's garden and nowhere else. Well, nowhere else close enough to do me any good."

« Reply #844 on: November 25, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »
>"I need a healing potion to cure a very old, very rare type of blight. But one of the ingredients of that brew is Bittercress, not just the plant, the flower. Which won't be available for years. But if the reports are right, I can find those flowers in Yuuka's garden and nowhere else. Well, nowhere else close enough to do me any good."

>There is a pause, then she lets out a small breath. "Suppose that qualifies."
>She starts to pace. "Okay, this place you're looking for probably does exist. Does it have what you're looking for? Not a clue. Is it dangerous? Maybe. Maybe a lot more than you think, even." She turns back to stare at you with dim eyes again; she doesn't seem to need to blink much. "I know you Seekers are famous for marching into any deathtrap with a treasure inside, but at least some of you must have some sense or you'd all be extinct by now. What if I said I wouldn't trust a whole squad of the guard to come back from there in one piece?"

« Reply #845 on: November 25, 2013, 07:15:26 AM »
>"So you DO know about it?!"
>And now compose ourselves. "Sorry 'bout that. Got a little carried away."

« Reply #846 on: November 25, 2013, 09:11:24 AM »
>"So you DO know about it?!"
>And now compose ourselves. "Sorry 'bout that. Got a little carried away."

>Sekibanki grimmaces at your outburst. "I've heard reports. I'm surprised they've made it all the way to random professors at the Grand Academy, but since when has anyone ever been able to stop gossiping for a minute? And before you ask," she adds flatly, "I don't know where it is exactly. I've never seen it with my own eyes and neither has anyone else here." A pause. "Or if they have, they've never bothered to tell me."

« Reply #847 on: November 25, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
>"But what you've heard has been much like what I heard back in the city? In terms of how dangerous this Yuuka is, I mean."

« Reply #848 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
>"But what you've heard has been much like what I heard back in the city? In terms of how dangerous this Yuuka is, I mean."

>"Maybe," she says. "I wouldn't normally pay too much attention to the fairies, but... How much do you know about the Wild Surge?"

« Reply #849 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
>I know we've heard that term before. That was the incursion of the feral youkai of the Wild Lands into the more civilized parts of this continent, right?

« Reply #850 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:22 AM »
>I know we've heard that term before. That was the incursion of the feral youkai of the Wild Lands into the more civilized parts of this continent, right?

>Yes, and the lengthy and exhausting war which followed. You've known of it for years, though only in very general terms - it happened half a century ago and never actually touched Val Razuan territory, let alone Braston. To be honest, you've probably learned more about it in idle conversation over the past couple days in Val Razua than you ever did in the years before that.

« Reply #851 on: November 25, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
>"Only bits and pieces. I'm from Easthaven originally, out on Estval Continent, which escaped that particular conflict. I've only been over here for about a week or so."

« Reply #852 on: November 26, 2013, 03:46:38 AM »
>"Only bits and pieces. I'm from Easthaven originally, out on Estval Continent, which escaped that particular conflict. I've only been over here for about a week or so."

>"No books out that way either?" she remarks dryly, but doesn't actually wait for an answer. "Anyway, the whole thing was a mess from start to finish, but one of the major instigators was believed to be a really old youkai by the name of Yuuka Kazami. She had a habit of turning the local flora into some kind of nightmare army that didn't have time for little things like 'mercy' or 'leaving survivors'. The destruction of at least a dozen outposts was attributed to her in one way or another, and the massacre at Nemubochi was probably her work, too - or at least why it was a massacre and not just another battle. She was presumed dead after a complicated incident near Sasa Dioro and eventually the war ended. Nobody's heard a peep about her since and it's just as well, if you ask me."
>She paces to the other end of the room and peers through the narrow window. "Now, I don't know that this is the same Yuuka - maybe it isn't and the fairies are just being scardy-cats like always. But a bunch of things match and the physical description's close enough. And they certainly didn't pull her file from the military archives to check," she adds with a sidelong glance. "It's enough that I'd rather assume it's her than it isn't. She's the type who mightn't let being dead for 50 years stop her, if you get my meaning."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #853 on: November 26, 2013, 04:08:58 AM »
>Well that's a lot to digest.
>"Yeah, I get your meaning."

« Reply #854 on: November 26, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
>Didn't professor bosqueverde say she was from a village in Sasa Dioro?

« Reply #855 on: November 26, 2013, 05:18:45 AM »
>Well that's a lot to digest.
>"Yeah, I get your meaning."

>Is it that.
>"I don't really like people gabbing about the place," she continues, "because then somebody will probably get it in their head to go and try to find it." She gives you a pointed look.

>Didn't professor bosqueverde say she was from a village in Sasa Dioro?

>She did.

« Reply #856 on: November 26, 2013, 05:37:45 AM »
>"I'd be just content to leave her well enough alone, believe me. But I don't have any choice in the matter."
>"But do you know what happened down in Sasa Dioro? The professor I talked to said she was from a village in that area, but she never mentioned that Yuuka was involved."

« Reply #857 on: November 26, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
>"I'd be just content to leave her well enough alone, believe me. But I don't have any choice in the matter."
>"But do you know what happened down in Sasa Dioro? The professor I talked to said she was from a village in that area, but she never mentioned that Yuuka was involved."

>Sekibanki holds you in that dubious gaze, but says nothing.
>"A lot of things happened. Looting, killing, burning. It was a messy war; what do you think happened?" Her tone is acrid, but her expression looks more annoyed than truly angry, like she were dealing with a troublesome child. She pauses. "Yuka herself probably wasn't common knowledge at the time, outside a few circles. Probably still isn't, either. No shortage of dangerous youkai to go around back there."

« Reply #858 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:19 AM »
>Wouldn't make a good teacher, you wouldn't.
>"Or nowadays, either."
>"You've made yourself clear, captain, about how you feel about her and her garden. But even if you don't know where it is, is there anything to do know that could at least point me in the right direction? I've got too much ground to cover as it is right now, and not enough time to cover even half of it."

« Reply #859 on: November 26, 2013, 06:19:27 AM »
>Wouldn't make a good teacher, you wouldn't.
>"Or nowadays, either."
>"You've made yourself clear, captain, about how you feel about her and her garden. But even if you don't know where it is, is there anything to do know that could at least point me in the right direction? I've got too much ground to cover as it is right now, and not enough time to cover even half of it."

>Probably not. Maybe not a bad commanding officer, though.
>"So you're going, either way?" Her tone makes this scarcely seem a question.

« Reply #860 on: November 26, 2013, 06:20:58 AM »
>"I'd welcome an alternative, but right now, I don't have one."

« Reply #861 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
>"I'd welcome an alternative, but right now, I don't have one."

>"'Nowhere close enough to do me any good' is where, exactly?" she asks.

« Reply #862 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:24 AM »
>"Come again?"
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:45:55 AM by Sweet & Sour »

« Reply #863 on: November 26, 2013, 07:07:24 AM »
>"Come again?"

>"You said you could find this bittercress somewhere else, yeah? How far away?"

« Reply #864 on: November 26, 2013, 07:15:26 AM »
>... DID we ever get any sort of lead on the flower other than Yuuka?

« Reply #865 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »
>... DID we ever get any sort of lead on the flower other than Yuuka?

>A few places where you could probably find it growing natively, down in Hanashibara, but none that you could reasonably expect it to be in bloom this year, from what you've been told.

« Reply #866 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
>"I meant that I MIGHT be able to find the flower somewhere else. But I don't know where exactly, nor do I have time to find it. The only place I know for sure I can find this flower, and get back to Val Razua in time to get the medicine made, is in Yuuka's garden. If I knew for sure that I could find this flower in a garden two villages down from here, that'd be great, but I don't. I have to go with what I know."

« Reply #867 on: November 26, 2013, 09:24:28 AM »
>"I meant that I MIGHT be able to find the flower somewhere else. But I don't know where exactly, nor do I have time to find it. The only place I know for sure I can find this flower, and get back to Val Razua in time to get the medicine made, is in Yuuka's garden. If I knew for sure that I could find this flower in a garden two villages down from here, that'd be great, but I don't. I have to go with what I know."

>"I hope you're just desperate and not a fool," she says.
>"The garden is at least fifty miles west of here, sheltered by hills that make it hard to spot from most approaches. The terrain is rough and forested for most of the way and there's little drinkable water past the Grau and few good landmarks. It's not an easy trip even for an experienced forester and you might just find a mass murderer waiting for you at the other end, if you find anything at all. I can't tell you where it is, but I can tell you a few places that it isn't, which I suppose should help a little. If you still insist."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #868 on: November 26, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
>Nod.
>"Please."

« Reply #869 on: November 26, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
>Nod.
>"Please."

>Her eyes betray little of how she feels about this, but she merely snaps out "Show me that map of yours."